KU's finalists for official university logo

What do you think about the four finalists for KU's new official university logo? Which one is your favorite?

Goudy design

Trajan design

The Hill design

Volta design:

Comments

Jeanne Cunningham 10 years, 1 month ago

What a HUGE waste of money!!! Just to decide on what font to use.

I'm guessing several students could have paid for their educations on what was spent. I'm very disappointed.

KU_cynic 10 years, 1 month ago

Let me get this straight: KU paid some Oregon-based consulting firm thousands of dollars to try different fonts and letter placements for "KU"? This is just about the stupidest idea to come down the pike since "Kansas: as big as you think".

We have a fine arts department and a School of Journalism, right? Some class projects could arrived at logos such as these without any direct expense. What an embarrassment.

So, thus far KU has spent thousands determining which shade of blue (royal) and now has to decide which stylized "KU" is best. Genius, Chancellor Hemenway. Sheer genius.

wilson 10 years, 1 month ago

But, the K and the U are connected! That takes lots of graphics design skills (and cash money) to pull off.

markpotter24 10 years, 1 month ago

we paid for this???? did somebody think the old one was bad??? Go with Goudy if we have to - it's the most similar to what we already have. Ugh....

William_Rothgraeger 10 years, 1 month ago

I like Trajan... but I'm happy to know now why KU is so broke and forced to lay off foreign language instructors that actually ahem educate the students. So happy to know the little money KU does have, isn't being wasted.

Bdlaforge 10 years, 1 month ago

"Goudy" is by far the best alternative, but I'd vote for any of the three to prevent "The Hill" from becoming our new logo.

legolas1996 10 years, 1 month ago

I would also have to agree with the use of money not being used locally. It is a shame that something that would take me 20 minutes to do in paintshop cost KU thousands of dollars. I wish I could have recieved that money. Oh well.

Gary Pomeroy 10 years, 1 month ago

I would join in the comments relating to spending the money in a tight educational budget for what was presented - a KC Royals logo rip-off; a trajan (trojan??) design with the elongated K that looks like someone forgot to trim it; the Hill (or handlebar mustache design) and the volta, which is boring but the least objectionalble of the group. none of them do honor to either the school or the money spent on it. Oy!!

legolas1996 10 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to actually give back some feedback that isnt negative. I personally like the Goudy Design the best because it is the most familiar and I associate that design and font with KU. Please keep it familiar. Its good to update things, but dont update it too much.

Michael-

mfabla 10 years, 1 month ago

I BEG THE UNIVERSITY TO RECONSIDER THESE LOGOS BEFORE IT MAKES A HUGE MISTAKE!!

I agree times calls for changes, and it is fine to launch a new design to reinvigorate the University's image. However, the final four designs are unimaginative, boring, lacks the community and student body involvement, and as a result does a horrid job of representing the University, which is one of the most decorated and beautiful schools in the world. Don't let this go down as the mistake that the Marketing team of Coca-Cola® made with the New Coke.

HighScore 10 years, 1 month ago

This does seem like a very big waste of time and money. I would be willing to guess that if one of these typefaces were picked and implimented, no one would notice the difference. Come on Bob, just pick one, that is why we are paying you the big bucks.

I think that KU is just trying to cover their asses, so they don't end up with public outrage like the Marquette Gold, I mean Warriors, I mean Golden Eagles, I mean Golden Avalance, I mean that team that KU waxed in the Final Four in 2003.

plutoadobe 10 years, 1 month ago

I am a graphic designer, so I understand the importance of brand/identity. But I also think that it is important for a University to support the community it resides in. How about using a local company to design the new identity? How about having a student contest (graphic students/art students) to come up with an identity. There are so many talented agencies, freelancers and students in this town -- stay local! At least let the hundred-of-thousands-of-dollars go into the local community rather than to some hot-shot firm on the west coast. Heck -- make a scholarship out of it!

I don't see anything wrong with the current KU usage. Why not use what you have, but just promote it differently.

I agree with chic, that this seems to be a huge waste of money and more than just a few students could have had their college paid for or tuition reduced for the cost of this identity.

Lynne 10 years, 1 month ago

I registered with LJW just to be able to comment. I'm a graphic design graduate of KU (1980), and this is one very disappointing display by my own university. Not only could any of KU's design graduates have come up with something better, so could the current students. PLEASE show your pride in your own school, and give those design students the opportunity to show what they can do. It's painful to me as a graduate that KU didn't even consider its own. It's embarrassing to me as a designer that these are the final choices. "The Final Four?" Ugh. Go local, and you can start with KU's design school.

Kyle Rohde 10 years, 1 month ago

I ask, what's the point? What was wrong with the old KU letters? When I heard they were going to do a new logo, I assumed it would be something similar to North Carolina a decade or so ago. They, like KU, had two logos. One was an NC interlocked, and one was their mascot. They unveiled a logo that combined the two and looked great. (See http://www.qualitysportsgifts.com/i/Logos/NC.jpg) That would be fine, but this is an absolute waste of money. I bet the four cost at least 10k and for what. There are so many graphic designers that have graduated from KU, along with the current students, who would have submitted designs pro-bono just to be a part of their school's new identity.

I hope all you commenters on here also commented on the KU website, so they can be sure to see all this negative feedback. I know I did.

plutoadobe 10 years, 1 month ago

Landrey & Company worked with Enron . . . check out the list of clients . . . interesting . . .

HighScore 10 years, 1 month ago

While we are on the subject of the school's identity. What is the point of changing the football teams uniform color again? I understand that the school has switched from Nike to Adidas, but why would we switch from a dark navy back to a lighter blue. I really like the dark navy uniform color. It gives our football team a sense of toughness that a lighter color doesn't. Mangino is turning our team around, I don't want to see our team associated with those horrendous teams of the 80's and 90's because of the uniform color.

Keep the dark navy uniform color!

legolas1996 10 years, 1 month ago

HighScore- havent you read any of the articles on KU's new color? They arent going to use navy blue anymore. They are going to go with a blue that is darker than royal blue and lighter than navy. So officially KU isnt going to use navy blue for any reason anymore apparantly.

HighScore 10 years, 1 month ago

Yes, of course I read the articles regarding the color change. That is what I am responding to.

My point is, what difference is there if the football, baseball, basketball team each have a slightly different shade of blue; that this hat has a slightly different K and U from some other hat. Of course there needs to be a regulatory board that approves artwork, but do we have to be nazis about it.

The color selection of sports uniforms has an impact on the performance of the athletic team. Football teams play better and have a more aggresive attitude with darker uniforms. The Detroit Lions will be wearing black uniforms this year. This is done because it has been proven that darker uniforms in football result in better play. The Tampa Bay Bucs changed from pastels to the black, gold and red uniforms that they have today. Since that time they have gone from a consensus loser to a Super Bowl winning team. Of course there are other factors, but the uniform color was one of them. Jerry Glanville used to sport a black team jacket because he hated the powder blue uniforms the Houston Oilers wore in the 1980's. He instituted black jackets to everyone on his staff in an effort to toughen his team.

On the flip side, what about out track team? A darker color would provide a negative effect on their performance. Lighter colors attract less of the intensity of the sun, providing a ligher uniform, resulting in better performance. Are we going to scrap the track's traditional pink and light blue jersey's in favor of a consistent aethetic for the university?

I just think that this is a rediculous waste of time and money. I am sure that somewhere, someone thought that this was a good idea to make all the K's and U's the same, in the same color, and would be easy to implement, but didn't condsider all the factors at play. I guess we can expect to see our jayhawk logo change as well, because his K and U are in a block arial font. Please.

Lauren Reinhold 10 years, 1 month ago

I went to the marketing firm's website and was very disappointed that it was confusing to navigate and not overly appealing in form and content.

legolas1996 10 years, 1 month ago

HighScore- I like your arguements. They are well stated and I agree with them. Though one can also make the arguement that when KU had the royal blue uniforms, we were 2-0 in bowl games that we won in 1993 against BYU and in 1995 against UCLA. And then with the dark blue uniforms we were 0-1 with a big time loss to NC State. So even though that arguement has been proven, does it apply to KU football? I dont know. I guess we'll find out. At least the new football jersies wont be as bright of a royal blue color as it was in the 90's. It will be a blue that is in between navy and royal which is the color the basketball team wears. So I guess it would be good for the teams to be uniformed in their colors and designs though the money should be used for other things. But in a town where the Athletic deparment is King and everyone caters to them, what should we expect?

crj8973107 10 years, 1 month ago

leave it alone but if you must change it i would have to choose the goudy design

jhwk3825 10 years, 1 month ago

did the chancellor's 10th wife come up with this while smoking her doobie?

75Jayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Now I understand why they have had to raise tuition so much in the last 3 years and another 16% for next year. The total mis-management of the University is quite apparent. It is obvious they are totally clueless as to what is going on around them. It's too bad they spend this kind of money to an Oregon firm when my 6 year old granddaughter could have come up with similar logos with her crayons.

legolas1996 10 years, 1 month ago

I guess we have no choice in the matter. They are going to change the logo no mater what. So does that mean that all of the sporting teams have to change their uniforms too because of the pathetic logo change? The only logo is perfect already, they dont need to change it. If its not broken, dont fix it. All of this money is being spent just to be spent and the tuition goes up. What is wrong with this picture? When will corporate America get a clue? Why does it seem that the little guy is the only one who knows whats going on?

starcoach 10 years, 1 month ago

As a long-time commerical artist who earns his living designing high-end corporate logos, KU's latest waste of money is moronic.

The Washington coach that started Nike, used one of his artist students for a design and paid her $50 for the logo that would soon dominate the world. To pay an agency ANYTHING for these offerings is absolute TRASH.

No wonder we one of the most expensive and most laughed at universities in the Nation.