Archive for Sunday, January 7, 2007

Shooting of witness puts case in limbo

Defendant at trial has long history of crime

January 7, 2007

As he sat in jail last month facing more than a decade in prison for aggravated battery, Louis G. Galloway got a piece of favorable news: Suddenly, the key witness couldn't testify against him.

The victim in the case had been shot and seriously injured in Ottawa the night of Dec. 19, just hours before the trial was set to begin.

Galloway's reaction? He wrote a letter to Judge Robert Fairchild demanding a speedy trial.

The shooting of Michael S. Miller "is not my fault and I should not have to suffer any longer for his (Miller's) mis-haps (sic)," the 43-year-old Lawrence resident wrote in the neat handwriting he's used for decades in similar jailhouse letters to local judges.

It was the latest twist in the life of one of the best-known criminal defendants in Douglas County - a man who has threatened a sheriff's deputy with a metal pipe, exposed himself to multiple women and driven a stolen car into the Kansas River, to name a few cases.

Galloway is one of a group of people that police and prosecutors refer to informally as "frequent fliers": people who keep coming in the door of the jailhouse, only to get out and return weeks or months later.

That lifestyle would have changed for Galloway had he been convicted of battering Miller: Because of his lengthy criminal history, he was looking at roughly 13 years in prison. Now - with Miller in serious condition at an undisclosed location - it's unknown whether the case will go forward.

Troubles start early

Galloway was born in 1963 in Denver, but Lawrence has been his home most of his life.

According to Douglas County Court records, his criminal history began in 1976 when, at age 12, he was charged with theft and received probation.

After an assault charge and another theft charge, he was sent to Boys Town in Nebraska, where he twice ran away. He was brought back to a youth center in Topeka, but after he escaped in 1980, he was sentenced to prison for "aggravated juvenile delinquency."

As an adult, Galloway has worked as a landscaper, dishwasher and handyman. He's lived all around Lawrence, recently in the 1200 block of New York Street. He's also amassed more than a dozen convictions in Douglas County District Court alone, for crimes ranging from lewd and lascivious behavior to aggravated battery.

Family members say he has a kind heart but gets into trouble when he drinks or does drugs.

"If Louie isn't drinking, he'll walk away from you," said his father, John Galloway. "If he's drinking, it's a whole different ballgame."

'You can entice him'

Shelley Diehl became familiar with Galloway during her nearly 14 years as a prosecutor in the Douglas County District Attorney's office.

"Louis Galloway was someone that law enforcement was well acquainted with, that kept the office busy," she said. "He certainly has made extensive use of the criminal justice system and all the resources that come with that."

Galloway blames his troubles in part on abuse he says he suffered during his childhood. In a 1992 letter to judge Michael Malone, he speculated that he would spend the rest of his life homeless and that he would keep exposing himself to women - a crime for which he has four convictions in District Court.

"My mind is all screwed up," he wrote. "I don't even know why I exist."

By one probation officer's account, Galloway once spent $1,500 per day on cocaine. John Galloway said his son easily succumbs to peer pressure.

"He'll say, 'I don't want to drink,' then a crowd of guys will come by. ... You can entice him," he said.

Police know Galloway as someone who won't back down from a fight. He went to prison for a 1993 incident in which he threatened then-Douglas County sheriff's deputy Al Deathe with a metal pipe in a standoff near his father's home.

In 2000, he was convicted of fleeing and eluding after he led police on a chase at speeds up to 100 mph in a Lincoln Town Car. He sped out of Lawrence, drove into a cemetery in Leavenworth County, drove through a fence, came back to Lawrence and drove into the Kansas River at the Eighth Street Boat Ramp, according to a police report.

As of Thursday, he had two cases pending in District Court for threatening Lawrence police officers, as well as two lewd and lascivious behavior cases. He also faces a fifth charge that he beat up Miller, the witness who was shot Dec. 19.

Lawrence resident Louis Galloway works on his bicycle as his dog, Nino, lets out a yawn on the front porch of Galloway's residence in this April 2006 Journal-World file photo. Galloway was standing trial on a charge of aggravated battery when a witness who was scheduled to testify against him was shot Dec. 19 in Ottawa.

Aggravated battery

In fall 2005, Miller and Galloway lived in neighboring apartments at the same address on New York Street. Miller has testified that on Sept. 2, 2005, he asked Galloway to leave his apartment because Galloway was being "rude and obnoxious."

Miller testified that Galloway left, came back about 15 minutes later, kicked in the front door, shoved him across the room and rammed his head through the wall. He said Galloway eventually left, but that when he went outside to look for him, Galloway attacked him again, threw him to the ground, beat his head against the brick sidewalk, choked him and said, "I'm gonna kill you."

Galloway's trial was scheduled to begin Dec. 20. The night before, Brandon Jones, an assistant Douglas County District Attorney, was preparing for the trial when he got a call from his wife, Heather, the Franklin County Attorney.

She'd just learned that Miller had been shot in Ottawa - a case she is now prosecuting.

"It didn't take long to put two and two together," she said. "I called (Brandon) and said, 'Hey, this is what's going on. You're probably not going to have a jury trial tomorrow.'"

Galloway, who remains in jail, maintains he had nothing to do with the shooting, and he has not been charged with it.

One of the four Lawrence residents charged in the plot is a woman whom Heather Jones identified as Galloway's sister, Kay F. Gaillard-Taylor, 49. John Galloway identified her as Louis Galloway's half-sister. Also charged are Jeffery A. Campbell, Lee Roy House Jr. and Lisa Winter.

Heather Jones said she believes the shooting was not a coincidence and was a plot to kill a witness, with the goal of stopping Galloway's trial.

"As far as who didn't want it going on, I think that's speculation at this point," she said. "That part hasn't been completely developed."

'Not as bad as I seem'

Galloway's case files at District Court are filled with dozens of letters he's written to judges from jail - some hopeful, others despondent.

"I want you to recognize the goodness within me," he wrote in 1989. "I'm not as bad as I seem to be and my attitude develops from circumstantial situations. ... I am full of aspiration, ambition, eagerness, and I have goals I want to accomplish."

In another, he describes wanting to get out of jail so that he can spend his evenings "writing and exercising both body and mind."

One theme runs throughout Galloway's letters: his constant requests to be let out of jail through work release or probation.

"Why waste this time in my life just sitting and crying the blues when I can work on my problems?" he wrote in one letter.

Another letter sent to a judge features a drawing of jailhouse bars, next to the words "JAIL IS NO PLACE FOR ME TO BE."

Comments

ASBESTOS 7 years, 9 months ago

What part of "repeat offender" does this idiot or the State and County Criminal Justice System not understand? This guy should be told and should be sentenced to MAXIMUM limits for any additional crimes under sentencing guidelines.

compmd 7 years, 9 months ago

This guy disgusts me. Its time for him to do some hard time. In 1989 he claims he had aspirations and ambitions. Ambitions for what, being imprisoned a couple times and bounced around on parole from 1994 to 2003? "Jail is no place for me to be?" Who does he think he's kidding? I'm sorry, but jail is the ONLY place for this joker.

And "Al Deathe" sounds like it comes out of a movie about a deputy who picks up a 12 gauge to clean up the county. :)

Ok, I need to sleep now.

fairylight 7 years, 9 months ago

At least the Journal World has the fortitude to write and publish this article. In Topeka, that may not have happened. We seem to be a city of sweep it under the rug journalism.

It has been proven in other cities that PUBLIC OUTCRY can have more effect than you may think. Call, write..someone officialy contact your DA, Contact your senetors and congressmen. Make a loud stinking noise and make sure this POS get's what he deserves. Don't stand for it. Eventualy things will change.

50YearResident 7 years, 9 months ago

Another pre-trial article by the Journal World that will make a conviction nearly impossible because of published information about the defendant's previous criminal history. Any conviction will be thrown out by an appeals judge.

Nice job Jworld! Thanks for helping to keep criminals on the street.

Oh! That's a nice Pit Bull in the doorway too.

Mike Blur 7 years, 9 months ago

Crack, I knew Louie back then as well (4th grade to 6th grade, East Heights Elem), but only well enough to stay as far away from him as possible. If memory serves, he used to run around with Lee House creating all kinds of havoc, even in the fifth grade.

When I read this article saying his criminal history began at age 12, I said to myself, whoa you have to back up at least a couple years, maybe more than that for undocumented delinquency.

I might have to dig out the "Bicentennial Memories Yearbook" for sixth grade pictures of Louie Galloway and Lee House.

Devon Kissinger 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm shocked the LJW chose print anything like this about a career criminal from a criminal family. If you pull up the KASPER page from the Ks. AG's webpage I see 4 or 5 names from that family from Lawrence. From rape to murder they have you covered with one exception, felony obstruction. Dobie and Cookie look like the only ones still in. It almost sounded like they are supporting him and his cause. Disappointing.

reginafliangie 7 years, 9 months ago

This bozo again??? When will somebody learn? He has shown by his history of crime that 2nd and 3rd chances don't work. He's not making an effort to better his life or change things. Why does he think he gets another chance? Just amazing. Please do the town a favor and put this creep away, for good.

Confrontation 7 years, 9 months ago

You know what they say about people looking like their dogs. Well, it rings true here. This guy's parents should get the "Most Worthless Parents Ever" award. Way to go, losers!

always_amazed 7 years, 9 months ago

Makes me wonder....how can so many from the same family be so jacked up. Could it be all the sexual and physical abuse the children endured during their childhood? Perhaps if the justice system would of done something to some of these parents years ago it would of saved many innocent people....including these children. This of course doesn't excuse what Louis has done and will continue to do until he is put away for good. Just a shame how we all forget where it actually all begins.....the parents!!!!

bearded_gnome 7 years, 9 months ago

he's often been supported in his "lifestyle" by the homelessness establishment in this town. so, don't just blame the early police inaction. he's been fed and housed by people who didn't expect any better from him. so, what do you expect?

Porter 7 years, 9 months ago

So the soup kitchen should be doing better background checks?

cutny 7 years, 9 months ago

Not much to add. He's been a terror since the first time I sold liquor to him at Bahnmaier's on 9th and New Hampshire. Gotta be some abuse in his history somewhere. Seems like he wants to go back to jail so he can meet his next boyfriend.

a2thek 7 years, 9 months ago

Yeah and Manson said he never killed anybody either. I would have to guess that all those people did his dirty work and are his little bitches.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 9 months ago

Bahnmaier's on 9th and New Hampshire... +++ Oh I loved the old days here in toontown. Remember the one down at 7th and Conn.?

always_amazed 7 years, 9 months ago

I remember the one on 7th and Conn....had that ramp like floor going to the beer coolers....talk about...back in the day!!!

throwedyungstar 7 years, 9 months ago

"he's gettin locked up.....and they wont let him out"
Louis needs to remember is to NEVER drop the soap!

Derrick 7 years, 9 months ago

I've known "Louie" for many years. Louie actually lived with our family for a short time and we became life long friends. i've known his ENTIRE family for the same length of time. i NOT writing to say Louie is a great "stand-up" guy because let's face it ; his record speaks for it self. I will however say that the entire family IS NOT an "undesirable", repulsive, bad natured group. They have preachers, teachers. distinguished active duty military personal in addition to God loving members. Louie and a few of his cousins got what they deserved. But PLEASE don't "lump" the whole brood in the same group as rapists or murders

kathy white 7 years, 9 months ago

Louis and the others mentioned as being in prison represent a small portion of the Galloway family. There are Galloways here in Lawrence who are good, God fearing/loving people and do not deserve to be lumped in with this trash.

hipper_than_hip 7 years, 9 months ago

I went to LHS in '81 with a Galloway; I think his name was Wes. He was a good guy. I can't speak for the rest of the family, but the guy I knew was OK.

butterflie 7 years, 9 months ago

most of you don't even know Louie!!! he really is a sweet guy, he just doesn't know sometimes. and as for the ones that do know him. be thankful, because, even though he made bad choices...he made a lot of good ones too!!! an besides only GOD can judge him...an those of you that are hating on him...well YOU SUCK!!! because, those who know him well, know what he's really like!!!!!!! an quit hatin on Nino!!! (the dog in the pic, yawning!!!)

butterflie 7 years, 5 months ago

well as for a2thek and cutny you guys are so stupid, Louie is a good guy really, he jus needs to lay off the dugs and alcohol...you guys need to realize that if he's drinking or using, jus like his daddy said, its a totally different story. HE REALLY IS A GOOD GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we've had lots of laughs, I've even seen uncle Louie cry...leave him alone!!! once again, QUIT HATIN ON DIS G!!!!!!!!!!! :)

acg 7 years, 5 months ago

Butterflie, you're an idiot, grow up. This guy is a felon, loser, abuser, sicko perv that needs to be put under the jail somewhere. I'm so tired of hearing "well he's a good guy until he drinks or does drugs". Who gives a crap? If he's too weak or stupid to stay sober and stay out of jail, then that's his own damned fault. We should care about his problems? We've all got problems. Not a single person on this board, or in this world, had a perfect upbringing. Oh, he was abused, boo freakin' hoo!! My dad hit me for everything I did when I was growing up and sometimes he'd hit all four of us for something that one of us did. That was life. I haven't committed any felony crimes. This guy's problems are his problems and his fault. He's had ample warnings and ample chances to change his tune. And if anyone believes he had nothing to do with shooting Mike Miller, get ahold of me because I have bridge or two for sale.