Penn House, located at 1035 Pennsylvania St, began in 1969 as the Douglas County Community Improvement Association; the agency later renamed itself Penn House. The current building was constructed in 1981, by volunteer labor in just one weekend, using mostly donated materials. The Penn House Board of Directors voted to merge with Ballard Community Center in 2005.
Our Penn House location continues to operate with low-income volunteers helping others; most weeks over 240 hours of volunteer hours are donated. The Penn House accepts donations of food, used clothing and household items from the community and is run entirely on donations. Penn House’s operating budget remains around $100,000.00 nearly 40 years later. Penn House provided 10,892 services to 775 individuals in 2006. Ballard Community Services is a United Way agency.