Emma Johnson — the 8-year-old daughter of city commissioner-elect Lance Johnson — earned the privilege of staying up past her bedtime Tuesday night.
Emma was with her father at the courthouse as Johnson waited for the final results. He said it’s fitting that his victory wasn’t assured until votes from the Langston Hughes School polling site were counted.
“That’s my school,” Emma, a second-grader, told crowd members.
For much of the night, Johnson and Price Banks were separated by just three votes. Langston Hughes was the final polling site to be counted by election workers.
Election Day 2009
- Amyx, Cromwell and Johnson pick up seats on Lawrence City Commission
- Bradford, Sanburn, Byers walk away with seats on Lawrence School Board
- A roundup of area results
- Voter turnout sluggish throughout city
- KU polling location gets 0.2 percent turnout
- Eudora poll workers work in darkness after crash
- Election results unofficial until Friday
- Langston Hughes precinct reports 22 percent turnout
- Lawrence City Commission election results
- Lawrence School Board election results
- Additional election results from around the area