LJWorld.com weblogs At Whit's End

LJWorld.com top stories for Monday, May 9

This morning I decided to start a new feature on my blog. Every weekday, I'll post the top five stories from the previous day. Then, in the afternoon before I head home, I'll try to update the post with the top stories from that day so far.

I'll also include links to the items that have received the most comments in the past 24 hours. Often times the two lists only share an item or two, which surprises a lot of people.

It's an experiment, and feedback is always welcome. These statistics are something I look at every morning, and they help me understand what stories and discussions pique the interest of our online community. I hope it helps you do the same. So here we go:

Top LJWorld.com stories from Monday, May 9

1. Lawrence native helps subdue unruly airline passenger
  2. KU police investigate battery early Sunday morning at McCollum Hall
  3. Town Talk: A look into the world of city fees; event would make Mass. Street parking free for a day; Bob Billings Parkway set for major construction
  4. Remains of Neosho Rapids boy, 11, killed in December 2010 boating accident found near John Redmond Reservoir
  5. First Bell: Tonight, school board members to consider athletics upgrades for LHS, learn about a ‘District Improvement Plan,’ and meet in executive session on personnel matters

Most commented items

1. Natural Grocers to open in Lawrence on 23rd Street and Naismith Drive
  2. On the Street: How often do you buy organic groceries?
  3. Shop Talk Blog: Home Depot floored me with their lack of knowledge
  4. Lawrence native helps subdue unruly airline passenger
  5. Firebirds dominate LHS in baseball

4:40 p.m. update

As promised, here are the most-viewed stories on LJWorld.com so far today:

1. Natural Grocers to open in Lawrence on 23rd Street and Naismith Drive
  2. Two people die Tuesday morning in two-vehicle accident on northwest side of Perry Lake
  3. Mark Mangino breaks silence in newspaper interview
  4. Town Talk: Have a downtown drink; arts incubator idea still alive; West Lawrence antennas to get approval; oil company increases Lawrence presence; Hobbs Taylor gets new tenant
  5. Former associate athletics director Ben Kirtland seeks 57 months in prison

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

"Bud_Insky (anonymous) says… Purging the forum of most conservatives seems to have left a little too much time on someone's hands."

Not even close yet Bud. If it were who would you all be arguing with?

;-)

tange 2 years, 11 months ago

Top five stories? Can I take an elevator, or must I climb stairs?

Bud_Insky 2 years, 11 months ago

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Whoa . . . made it through about half the original S_G's blog, much missing from the disapearededed's but I'm not gonna be the one to resurrect it by posting on it . .this time . . yet.

Stat_Guys 2 years, 11 months ago

Hello Whitney, looks like they are bugs in your jar as well. How things have changed now that Mt. Mar..arigold blew his vesuvius. Many disappearededings haunt your halls and threads. Enjoy what are remaining of the comments. http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/you-a... And for the "records", Whitney dances to Hit me Baby One More Time. Sincerely, Stat_Guys

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 11 months ago

Whitney, Still no answer or winner to: "What does Whitney dance to?"

prospector 2 years, 11 months ago

Would you use the golf ball that does not slice?

It is a tough job trying to figure out which way the ball will bounce on the interweb. It would be easier without threading.

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

Whit, if you are sitting in the news room and golf balls start bouncing down the hallway....look out sister.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 11 months ago

"wmathews (Whitney Mathews) replies… It would likely be a list of OTS after OTS...""

Whitney - Embrace the unthreadedness.

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

Now I will wait at the end of the day and listen for Garrett Morris loudly exclaiming, "Our Top Stories tonight!!"

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 11 months ago

I like Whitney. She is wonderful. And she is paid far too little.

But what she probably realizes, is that the LJW of today, is produced with far too-fewer highly qualified journalists.

Lets have a frank discussion here of the hundreds of people who lost jobs in the last few years....partially on the LJW side of things, and as the Broadband side got slimmed up for purchase by Knology.

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 11 months ago

GAWKER.COM is famous for being able to dynamically track minute-by-minute which articles about titillating news are more popular than another. And their reportage is then controlled by such feedback.

Is this good?

Traditional news sources of real independent analysis have not done this. As a national paper of record, the New York Times is one of those. Some other local papers have not succumbed. But their numbers are declining.

Two years ago, over 50,000 journalists lost their jobs. Makes you wonder why we even have a School of Journalism anymore at KU.

Unfortunately, the same market forces which have shifted many of us to purchasing from online sources have affected far more than Borders, and the Bay-Leaf.

I grieve for the newspapers and reportage of 20 years ago.

prospector 2 years, 11 months ago

Nobody likes statistics. Nobody....

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Whitney can do no wrong. She is a Goddess. Just ask Hollis. . . Whitney, will blogs that get high numbers of hits make it to your list(s)?

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 11 months ago

Whit: So how do you define the "top-5" stories?

Web-hits?

Is that now how your newspaper now defines its "top" stories?

Has the LJW now really crossed that line?

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 11 months ago

You need to have the Top 5 stories with the most disapearedededed posts.

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

Is we gonna read the same stories twiced now? I guess I don't understand the desired outcome. In other words, "do what"?