Archive for Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Two women killed Tuesday morning in two-vehicle accident on northwest side of Perry Lake

May 10, 2011, 10:23 a.m. Updated May 10, 2011, 5:33 p.m.

K-4 and Decatur Road

A 20-year-old Holton woman and a 42-year-old Valley Falls woman died in a head-on crash Tuesday morning on Kansas Highway 4 northwest of Perry Lake, according to the Kansas Highway Patrol.

A highway patrol report said the southbound 2002 Saturn car driven by Jourdan Albee of Holton drifted left of the center line for an unknown reason and collided with a 1996 Honda Odyssey driven by Mary E. Sands of Valley Falls. The crash occurred at 9:30 a.m.

According to the accident report released Tuesday evening, neither driver wore a seat belt.

Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig said the crash occurred near the intersection of K-4 and Decatur Road, which is 5.5 miles north of Meriden.

Comments

chihuahua2 3 years, 7 months ago

Where's the updates? I know family and friends that live in that dirction and in that area!!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

At 65 mph, which I believe is the speed limit on that highway, all it takes is a momentary distraction. And multiple momentary distractions are the norm when most of us drive, not the exception.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 7 months ago

I'll wager that your internet version of full attention is far different from reality.

rukidingme 3 years, 7 months ago

place a cable barrier you should know what ur talking about and the road. K 4 highway is a two lane road. there is no median just a yellow center line. Beside it's one of the most dangerous road in the state. Sure the speed limit is 65mph, but who enforces it noone does. That why there so many crashes. The average speed on that highway is 80 mph.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 7 months ago

I have no idea if it applies in this case, but I've seen so many people "drift" while on cell phones. An increasing number of states are banning them while driving. Kansas would do well to jump on that bandwagon.

Armored_One 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't even start the car unless everyone in the car with me has fastened their belts. The youngest tried undoing her belt once, and did she ever get yelled at. To this day, she has yet to unbuckle until she's told she can.

greenworld 3 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully not texting and driving. I know alot of young kids still havent caught on to put the phone down and drive but I hope that wasnt the case.

greenworld 3 years, 7 months ago

Randall Uhrich 3 years, 7 months ago

20 years old? 9:30 in the morning? I bet a cell phone was involved.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 7 months ago

I know someone who drove off the left hand side of the highway, into the ditch, then collided with a tree and lived to tell about it. Fortunately, no one was coming the other way at the time.

He was NOT on his cell phone - but he was looking for it at the time!

Well, that was his first story anyway. Later he claimed me "might" have seen a deer, then he changed his story again, and claimed that he DID see a deer.

This happens far to often, it's awful to read about terrible accidents like this over and over again. How people can go on after losing a loved one like this I will never understand.

jesse499 3 years, 7 months ago

When your driving you should have one job to drive.But people think its a part time job just look up from your cell,book,map.or paper once in a while will get it done. It will get it done if IT is to kill yourself or someone else. Wake up put all that crap down and drive or pull over and do it. The life you save may be yours.

brml 3 years, 5 months ago

There was no cell phone involved in this accident. If you find an updated article of this story it was later learned that Jourdan Albee the 20 year old was not the one to cross the line it was instead the 42 year old woman Mary Sands who drifted over. They say it is unknown why Mary drifted over the line. This was a very serious accident where two people died, please remember to be respectful of what happened and do not come to your own conclusions without knowing all information. Even though it was Mary who was at fault there is no reason to put rude things about her either. This was a car accident. ACCIDENT. That means it was in no way on purpose.