Previous   Next

How often do you buy organic groceries?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 10, 2011

Browse the archives

“Never. I buy groceries like once a month and I don’t ever buy organic. I eat bologna sandwiches.”

“I go to The Merc like once a month to get some organic groceries.”

“We like to grow our own and we don’t do chemicals.”

“I never buy organic food. It’s too expensive. Unless it happens to be on sale, which it rarely is, I don’t buy it.”

Comments

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 7 months ago

THIRD, you get the idea. I wonder if ku_law does.

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

Sixth. Never mind. I thought it said orgasmic . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

I tried organic gardening one year. The neighbors kept calling the law on me. Do you have any idea how much excrement it takes to fertilize 1/2 acre of garden? I couldn't do it all myself, had to ask for donations. They moved.

independant1 3 years, 7 months ago

Nope, I go for the inorganic food stuff I guess, ain't a lick of difference anyhow.

fabian_zimbabwe 3 years, 7 months ago

Dang, where's the "Like" button for these posts? I like HB's comment, like, ya know?

LadyJ 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm fine with growing it without chemicals, but I need all the preservatives I can get at this age. Much cheaper than buying all those anti-wrinkle creams and such.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

There's some evidence that organically grown crops are more nutritious than their non-organic counterparts, but the main reason for eating organic foods is that the agricultural process that produces them doesn't do anywhere near the amount of damage to the environment.

So while you may prefer to eat non-organic, everyone on the planet has to suffer the consequences of the methods of production for your food. In that respect, it's somewhat similar to second-hand smoke, but the peripheral damage is orders of magnitude greater.

Dover 3 years, 7 months ago

Organic produce is a scam, and it is the opposite of sustainable. Organic farming requires twice the acreage to produce the same crop. Growers will tell you that going organic means seeing a huge decrease in per-acre yield.

Also I would point out recent studies that have concluded there is no nutritional difference between organically and conventionally grown food. http://articles.cnn.com/2008-08-19/tech/organic.cooking.pv_1_organic-food-organic-trade-association-organic-products?_s=PM:TECH

kernal 3 years, 7 months ago

Dover, would like to read some more studies to back up your statement about sustainable agriculture being a scam.

Dover 3 years, 7 months ago

Not sustainable, organic. Not the same.

bethann 3 years, 7 months ago

"It should be noted that the study does not make conclusions about the comparative levels of pesticides or chemicals in conventionally and organically grown food or the health effects of consuming such chemicals." This was the end of the article you cited. The article is nearly 3 years old too. More research may now be out.

Boston_Charley 3 years, 7 months ago

It was the Palladium in the 1950s. Bowling alley.

Richard Payton 3 years, 7 months ago

Don't let your kids do organic bath salts. This is a public service message from the organic drug council.

LadyJ 3 years, 7 months ago

So explain this reasoning to me. There are some people will only eat organic food but then cover most of their body (in merrill's case, all of his body) with sunscreen which is "chemicals". Or are they using organic sunscreen?

kernal 3 years, 7 months ago

Does it matter? Unless, of course, he's licking his skin. Don't most pill capsules contain petroleum? Is our drinking water chemical free? Are fabric softeners organic? Don't plastics contain petroleum?

We can't live completely organic unless we go back to the way we lived over two hundred years ago.

booyalab 3 years, 7 months ago

Then we'll all die by the time we're 37. Yup, all organic gardening is really good for you.

kernal 3 years, 7 months ago

Weekly, only if it's fresh and reasonably priced. Dillons has been carrying more and more organic produce at reasonable prices lately.

Mmmmm, bologna on Wonder bread slathered in mayo with lettuce and summer maters. Yum!

LoveThsLife 3 years, 7 months ago

I have a list I printed called the "Clean 15 and the Dirty Dozen". Mainly the produce you can go ahead and purchase conventionally and those that are the worst offenders when it comes to chemicals.

I usually purchase my organic produce off of that list. It makes it a little bit more affordable for our family. We also grow our own vegetables and herbs in the summer as well and don't use chemicals.

Until I had kids and started questioning what I was putting into their bodies I never really cared about the whole organic vs. conventional debate. Now I try to be more aware of what I am purchasing.

Bill Lee 3 years, 7 months ago

Not very often. If chemicals were going to hurt me they'd have done it by now. I grow tomatoes orgnically because they seem to do fine on their own.

verity 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm all for organic, but have become quite cynical in my old age. Is that stuff being sold as organic really what it's cracked up to be?

I do wash my fruits and vegetables quite extensively---don't know if it really helps, but it makes me feel better (symbolically, not literally better).

independant1 3 years, 7 months ago

I think one gets more fruit flies from organic fruits than inorganic fruits therefore organic fruits have more protein.

oldvet 3 years, 7 months ago

Counting my trip to the store yesterday... never.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 7 months ago

We have a chemical free garden and I make all my "green" house cleaners instead of buying them but I think that has more to do with saving money then being organic. If the organic fruit and veggies are cheaper I would buy them but other then that it doesn't matter too much to me.