Previous   Next

How often do you buy organic groceries?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 10, 2011

Browse the archives

“Never. I buy groceries like once a month and I don’t ever buy organic. I eat bologna sandwiches.”

“I go to The Merc like once a month to get some organic groceries.”

“We like to grow our own and we don’t do chemicals.”

“I never buy organic food. It’s too expensive. Unless it happens to be on sale, which it rarely is, I don’t buy it.”

Comments

Deja Coffin 2 years, 11 months ago

We have a chemical free garden and I make all my "green" house cleaners instead of buying them but I think that has more to do with saving money then being organic. If the organic fruit and veggies are cheaper I would buy them but other then that it doesn't matter too much to me.

oldvet 2 years, 11 months ago

Counting my trip to the store yesterday... never.

independant1 2 years, 11 months ago

I think one gets more fruit flies from organic fruits than inorganic fruits therefore organic fruits have more protein.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 11 months ago

"I like meatloaf, but my doctor says I should eat chicken" - Babboy

I know what you are going through there.

I like tuna, but the spousal unit won't let me eat it much.

BABBOY 2 years, 11 months ago

I like meatloaf, but my doctor says I should eat chicken

I could care less about this organic food debate. Probably some merit to intially but I think it has turned into a scam.

verity 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm all for organic, but have become quite cynical in my old age. Is that stuff being sold as organic really what it's cracked up to be?

I do wash my fruits and vegetables quite extensively---don't know if it really helps, but it makes me feel better (symbolically, not literally better).

Bill Lee 2 years, 11 months ago

Not very often. If chemicals were going to hurt me they'd have done it by now. I grow tomatoes orgnically because they seem to do fine on their own.

LoveThsLife 2 years, 11 months ago

I have a list I printed called the "Clean 15 and the Dirty Dozen". Mainly the produce you can go ahead and purchase conventionally and those that are the worst offenders when it comes to chemicals.

I usually purchase my organic produce off of that list. It makes it a little bit more affordable for our family. We also grow our own vegetables and herbs in the summer as well and don't use chemicals.

Until I had kids and started questioning what I was putting into their bodies I never really cared about the whole organic vs. conventional debate. Now I try to be more aware of what I am purchasing.

kernal 2 years, 11 months ago

Weekly, only if it's fresh and reasonably priced. Dillons has been carrying more and more organic produce at reasonable prices lately.

Mmmmm, bologna on Wonder bread slathered in mayo with lettuce and summer maters. Yum!

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

So explain this reasoning to me. There are some people will only eat organic food but then cover most of their body (in merrill's case, all of his body) with sunscreen which is "chemicals". Or are they using organic sunscreen?

g_rock 2 years, 11 months ago

Eighty fourth.

I can't like count so good so sometime I like buy organic stuff because I don't like notice that it costs more?

If we could combine organic turnips and bowling, that would be awesome.

CWGOKU 2 years, 11 months ago

Never Wait, I do buy friuts and vegetables at the regular grocery store. Aren't they organic? Just not hippie organic. The beer I buy and drink has malt, barley and hops in it. So, isn't it organic?
Here's to saving the Earth. Bottoms up, hic............

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

Palladium? was that on 9th and Indiana? It was a bowling alley when I was a kid.

Richard Payton 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't let your kids do organic bath salts. This is a public service message from the organic drug council.

Boston_Charley 2 years, 11 months ago

It was the Palladium in the 1950s. Bowling alley.

HollisBrown 2 years, 11 months ago

The all-time greatest song to dance the Bus Stop to is "Heart of Glass", by Blondie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8yjfvXpF-Q&feature=related

HollisBrown 2 years, 11 months ago

When in doubt, I follow rule #1, WWDSD, What Would Dwight Schrute Do? Dwight is big on shunning, and growing beets. I used to go to the Get Ladium a lot. Definitely beer by the pitcher and a hell of a great place to dance. One Retro Night, I won the Bus Stop Dancing Contest. Damn, I wish I could remember what it was called before Palladium. I used to drink there in HS. I know way back it was Shenanigans, but there was something in between. Anybody? Gary?

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey Hollis, you ever eat much crow?

Now Hollis, my boy, what part of that sentence tells you to eat crow? It would appear even to the casual observer to be a question. You should caution not to become as obtuse as some of those other boys. Gary Spivey does not like the sun.

prospector 2 years, 11 months ago

Are the hops and barley organic at the Free State Brewery?
If Bambi eats soybeans in the field, is she considered organic? If bees forage on genetically altered plants, is the honey organic? Did Renaldo really dance to "Disco Duck" for carnal pleasure?

Decision made in the brain-stem are not organic.

HollisBrown 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm still mad at Autie for telling me to eat crow. I shall shun him. Is crow organic? The only friend I can rely on seems to be TOB, and that is mostly based on a mutual dislike of Sean Penn. What the hell is up with this weather? I just started prepping a pool for the summer yesterday. I wore SPF 85 sunblock and a big straw hat, and still felt like I was standing at the gates of Hades. Not even my dear friend Gary predicted this. www.garyspivey.com

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 11 months ago

I hear you can get good refried beans at the Merc.

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

I have never seen you drink wine. Just cheap bourbon.

No, you saw me drink cheap scotch. It was the french candle maker drinking the cheap bourbon.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 11 months ago

Many moons ago, I went to the Palladium which was where the Merc was when it was where the liquor store is now. I bought beer by the pitcher, danced, and called it the Get-Laid-e-um. I actually went back. Often.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 11 months ago

Many moons ago, I went to the Merc when it was where the liquor store is now. I bought organic mac and cheese. Never went back. Horrible.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 11 months ago

Are you saying those French DuPonts and their ilk are more concerned with drinking wine, eating cheese, and making love rather than ruining the earth, keeping marijuana illegal and making gunpowder and explosives as war profiteers?

I have never seen you drink wine. Just cheap bourbon.

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

I think that was more a republican thing. The French are more concerned with drinking wine, eating cheese and making love.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 11 months ago

Damn French beret wearing thin little pancake eaters.

Freaking French created a hole in the ozone with their Freon®. Made marijuana illegal with their damn Marihuana Tax Act of 1937. Poisoned the earth with their numerous herbicides.

"Better Things for Better Living...Through Chemistry." Yeah sure.

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

Organic is just a big scam so they can charge more for it. Gives the hippies something else to bitch about. They all eat organic cause is is healthy; while they take a big pull of the bong.

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm fine with growing it without chemicals, but I need all the preservatives I can get at this age. Much cheaper than buying all those anti-wrinkle creams and such.

tange 2 years, 11 months ago

Who doesn't like like like?

HollisBrown 2 years, 11 months ago

Why would I pay more for less? That's just stupid. What's the whole point of preservatives, anyway? I'm still trying to figure out why they charge more for that crappy recycled paper.

HollisBrown 2 years, 11 months ago

Like, I like, kind of agree with like, Jordon. Nothing beats bologna sandwiches. And like, Macy, like, I guess likes the Merc. I kind of like, like Megan's answer. She's the only one that like, didn't say like.

independant1 2 years, 11 months ago

Nope, I go for the inorganic food stuff I guess, ain't a lick of difference anyhow.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

I tried organic gardening one year. The neighbors kept calling the law on me. Do you have any idea how much excrement it takes to fertilize 1/2 acre of garden? I couldn't do it all myself, had to ask for donations. They moved.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Sixth. Never mind. I thought it said orgasmic . . .

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 11 months ago

FIFTH I heart Did_I. Not so sure they know what organic groceries are where I live. So no.

(someone better send LE to check on ku_law's well being)

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 11 months ago

THIRD, you get the idea. I wonder if ku_law does.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 11 months ago

SECOND, only if it is more appealing than other offerings.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 11 months ago

FIRST, the price must be competitive, then I might.