I was born and raised in the Mile High City and remain an avid fan of all things Colorado sports. At every occasion I cheer on the Broncos, Avalanche, Nuggets and Rockies.
Out of Cherry Creek High School in Denver, my college experience began at Arizona State University, where I lived in Tempe, AZ for 2 years before transferring to Colorado State University in Fort Collins, CO. In May 2004 I graduated with a bachelors degree in Journalism and minor in Political Science. My first realization that a career in television could be in my future came in the form of a phone call.
I dialed up my parents from my Arizona State University apartment during my second year of school telling them that I had changed my major from business to journalism and I wanted to be a television anchor/reporter. Following a brief moment of shock, they jumped on board and I have never looked back.
Following four internships at stations which include 12News in Phoenix, CBS4 News and Fox Sports-Rocky Mountain in Denver, as well as KGWN-TV in Cheyenne, Wyoming, I got my first big break as a sports anchor/reporter at KNOP-TV in North Platte, NE. I anchored the weekend sports in North Platte before switching gears and making the crossover to the news desk. That's what brought me to 6News and Lawrence, KS.
I was barely able to move myself in before the 2008 NCAA tournament began. We all know what happened a month later and needless to say Lawrence has been impressive so far. I feel very fortunate to live in Eastern Kansas and call Lawrence home.
In what spare time I have, you can find me on any of the local golf courses or enjoying the outdoors with my wife Sara, daughter Emily and son Jack.Other than tuning into 6News at 10pm nightly, I work at the Regional Reporter for 6News covering general news in Eudora, Tonganoxie and Basehor. You can also find my work on the Sunday 10pm broadcast in the form of a weekly feature segment called "Mark's on the Move." I am always looking for interesting and zany activities to take part in. I encourage you, the viewer, to contact me contact me with any story ideas or comments you may have.
You can follow me on Twitter, where I provide instant updates on news and what's going on in the area's surrounding Lawrence.
- Mo-ped gang revels in its cause
- June 23, 2010
- More than 40 years after the mo-ped became a popular mode of transportation in the United States, a resurgence in riders is taking the area by storm.
- Hot enough for you? Pool among ways to safely beat the heat
- June 22, 2010
- Residents throughout Lawrence are finding ways to have fun and stay safe as summer temperatures continue to climb. More than 500 visitors a day agree that Lawrence’s public pool is the best option to beat the heat.
- After long wait, Eudora Aquatic Center fully functional
- June 19, 2010
- For the first time since its opening three years ago, the entire pool at the Eudora’s Aquatic Center is fully functional and meets safety standards.
- Child rape suspect formally charged in court
- June 18, 2010
- A 28-year-old man accused of committing multiple sex crimes against a child made his first appearance in Douglas County District Court on Thursday afternoon.
- Heavy rains cause flooding, power outages across Douglas County
- City mops up after storm batters county
- 04:19 p.m., June 16, 2010 Updated 01:05 a.m.
- Flash flooding, which began around 5 p.m. Wednesday, was followed by power outages, fires, and sewer backups, while drivers trapped in their cars awaited rescue.
- Lawrence man arrested on multiple charges of child rape and sodomy
- 04:12 a.m., June 16, 2010 Updated 07:13 p.m.
- A Lawrence man who was arrested late Tuesday night on charges of committing multiple sex crimes against two children is expected in court this afternoon.
- Cyclist logs 7,500 miles on single trip — across Africa
- June 14, 2010
- Lawrence resident Jason Becker best describes himself as “adventurous.” The former Wichita high school art teacher has worked his entire life to help others and to venture outside his comfort zone. That effort would never be more evident than during his latest excursion.
- Student plans to file complaint after being confronted by Eudora police
- Police pulled Taser while he was working in friend’s yard, he says
- June 10, 2010
- Johnson County Community College student Brendan Martinez is always looking for ways to make extra money. Recently, he was asked to mow the lawn of a family friend while they were away on vacation.
- Eudora raises $3,000 in ‘No Hate Campaign’
- June 4, 2010
- Results are in for the “No Hate Campaign” by the Eudora School District.
- Burned dog’s vet bills mount
- June 2, 2010
- The only injuries reported in a devastating house fire in the 900 block of Mississippi Street on Friday were suffered by a four-legged resident named Riley.