Archive for Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Ex-teacher gets 59 months for sex with student

December 19, 2007

Former LHS teacher sentenced to nearly 5 years in prison

She lost her job, she's been convicted of a felony - now a former Lawrence High School English teacher is on her way to prison. Enlarge video

A mother rejoiced Wednesday evening as a judge sentenced a former Lawrence teacher to serve almost five years in prison for having a sexual relationship with her underage son. "I've lost my son for a short period of time. I'm seeing glimpses of him back, but a 15-year-old can't live like a 20-year-old," the victim's mother, Teresa Chapin, said.

She spoke after Douglas County District Court Judge Stephen Six sentenced Meredith L. Kane, 24, to serve 59 months and register as a sex offender. Kane's attorney James Rumsey had asked Six to consider probation so she could be treated for bipolar disorder and partly because the victim, who is now 16, testified Monday that Kane should not go to prison.

But Six ultimately held Kane responsible. She and a student had a sexual relationship that lasted from fall 2006 until she was arrested in March 2007.

"In a fiduciary position as a teacher, I find it extremely injurious to his health and the health of any teenager in that situation," Six said.

Kane, who was a first-year LHS teacher in fall 2006, pleaded guilty in July to one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child.

During cross-examination, Kane admitted to having sex with the boy after her original arrest until Six revoked her bond in August.

The boy met Kane when he was in ninth grade and she was a student teacher at Central Junior High School. He confided in her about problems he had with depression and drug use.

When she was hired as a high school teacher, he was in her study hall class. The two eventually developed a relationship that his parents, school administrators and police became suspicious about. They exchanged hundreds of phone calls and instant messages on the computer, Assistant Douglas County District Attorney Amy McGowan said.

Kane and the boy both testified this week that during the time of the relationship they saw each other as equals, and they lied to administrators, police and parents to protect it, her job and keep her from criminal charges. Kane also said she did not avoid his solicitation to see her even after she was arrested and out on bond.

"It's kind of like him and I against the world. That's what I felt like at that moment. It was hard for me to step away from the whole situation when I kept being reminded of it," Kane said.

In his argument for probation, Rumsey mainly said the victim willingly participated in a consensual relationship and that Kane's judgment was impaired because her bipolar disorder hadn't been diagnosed.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson said prosecutors believed the sentence was justified and sends a strong message, even though Kane has mental health issues.

"It doesn't hide the fact though that she was in a position of authority - a position over a minor," Branson said.

Chapin said her son's and her family's lives have improved since Kane's bond was revoked in August.

Lawrence school board members suspended Kane in March and voted in May not to renew her contract.

According to testimony, school administrators eventually pulled the boy from Kane's study hall class at his parents' request. They also had told her multiple times to stop having contact with him, even though the two kept lying about their relationship.

The Journal-World generally does not name victims of sex crimes.

Comments

Gabe Hoffman 7 years, 4 months ago

Too bad she wasn't attractive. She would have gotten probation!

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

"She got what she deserved and anyone that thinks differently is just as perverted as she is."

There's always room for dialog on virtually every subject, whether you think its appropriate or not. Your opinion does not equal truth, so let go of the idea that it does.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

"The double standard is so sexist that it is hard to even read some of these posts. It is okay for "boys to be boys", but if a older male "prey" on 15 year old girls he is sick. What is the difference here? The difference is that most of you all grow up thinking it is okay to take advantage of women, so what happened to this kid is okay."

Certainly, there is a double standard, and it is too bad. The direction it flows is not always so clear cut, though. Consider that it might also be that we sign on to a greater extent to protect the purity and innocence of girls than we are willing to do for boys. That the breaking of that purity (hell, just call it chastity, sorry) is still seen as a much worse thing to happen to girls, and really a thing for a boy to try and strive for. Socially speaking. In a scenario like this, social viewpoints will, for many, be allowed leeway in thinking of the boy as a victim, but there is no choice other than to think of the girl as one.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

Thinking, though, in both cases the adult is likely still be to looked upon as a predator. I suppose its probably safer that way.

compmd 7 years, 4 months ago

Enforcer, I'm curious. I have minors who are friends of mine on facebook. Is that bad? Would the community consider me a suspected sex offender?

frwent ftw.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 4 months ago

"In a fiduciary position as a teacher, I find it extremely, injurious to his health and the health of any teenager in that situation," Six said of the student, who was 15 at the time the crime occurred.

Well, Six, YOU might find it injurious to the student's health, but the STUDENT said it wasn't. So if that is the reason you are sentencing Kane, then try again.

Kane didn't hurt anyone, by the victim's own admission.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 4 months ago

enforcer (Kathy Gragg).....yeah right. If you don't think you're screwed up, just get into counseling and the counseler will make sure you know you're a mess.

I maintain that given the fact this was a male of (almost) consenting age that Kane should have been let go with what she went through already.

It just doesn't make sense that had she had this relatinship with the kid 6 months later that this would have been legal.

Now she goes to prison for 5 years.

Let's see what Six does to they guy who butchered his girlfriends genitals. I'll be really curious.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

Knee jerk, even when the student turned 16, it still would NOT have been legal for the simple fact that is illegal for any middle or high school teacher to have sexual relations with a student regardless of their age. It is an issue of power imbalance, much like quid pro quo sexual harrassment.

found_it 7 years, 4 months ago

The crime was reprehensible, although I'm not sure that prison time will bring about the intended results. Though one could argue that prison never does; rehabilitation rarely happens in prison.

I wonder if her therapy will continue? I have to admit to being surprised that she got more than time served.

My heart goes out to all... the victim, the perpetrator, and the families of each. What a world we live in! Does anyone know what "almost" five years means? Where will she serve her time? Was she taken immediately to prison? How did she receive the sentence?

compmd 7 years, 4 months ago

"Well kneejerk the student is not aware of injury yet"

At the risk of sounding like I'm defending a sex offender, did anyone stipulate that there was injury to the student? Why is his word insufficient? He needs someone to tell him that he should be screwed up?

I find kneejerk's reaction actually very thoughtful and not a "knee jerk reaction."

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 4 months ago

Crispian, is it illegal for a teacher to have relations with a student of consenting age, or simply against school policy?

I don't think a school can make laws that trump state laws.

I'm not condoning what she did and certainly not sticking up for pedophiles (who I think should be castrated if they have balls), but looking at this case from a reasonable man's perpsective, it would not seem reasonable to put her in jail for 5 years. Unless she has a past record of which I'm unaware.

Michael Capra 7 years, 4 months ago

Amy Bartle 7 years, 4 months ago

kneejerkreaction said that the student said "the crime was not injurious to the student". The fact is the student is a child and incapable of giving consent. Kane got what she deserves.

Newell_Post 7 years, 4 months ago

Have any of you ever been inside the prisons at Lansing or Leavenworth? I have. (As a free man, thank God.) They let me go home at night. I only worked there. But it was bad, bad, bad.

What she did was wrong, wrong, wrong. If it had involved a 7-year old child or something, then I would say OK. But for a horny 15 year old kid who could have had another kid his own age with relative impunity, it's too much.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 4 months ago

sunflower97 (Anonymous) says: The fact is the student is a child and incapable of giving consent. Kane got what she deserves.

Sunflower, nope, when the boy testified he was no longer a child but of "consenting" age - 16 yrs old. Once again, why wasn't his testimony sufficient to prove there was no injury, temporary or permament?

He told Six he was ok, but Six told him he wasn't?

Amy Bartle 7 years, 4 months ago

Also - Kane ignored the court orders to stay away from the victim. The kid was only 15 and had some mental problems. Whether they were serious or not, I have no idea, but young teens are so vulnerable and she took advantage of his vulnerability and used him to make herself feel better. If she was a man, she would have received a much longer sentence, or at least no one would be minimizing the crime.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

"Well kneejerk the student is not aware of injury yet, but hopefully in counseling he will realize just how injurious the liasons were."

Or maybe he will continue to not feel injured or messed up in any way by any of these actions. Just because it's illegal doesn't necessarily mean its injurious. Is counseling supposed to fix problems, or create new ones?

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 4 months ago

enforcer, if the extenuating circumstances you describe are in fact, true, then I may change my mind somewhat.

But, I still haven't heard anything that justifies 5 years in prison.

Amy Bartle 7 years, 4 months ago

so he was no longer a child but of consenting age. Based on that argument, would it have been okay if he was 10 when the sex occurred, and then when he's 16 he says it didn't affect him? It was a crime and she was in a leadership position. I hope this serves as a warning to others in power to think twice before making the moves on a minor.

Amy Bartle 7 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the info Enforcer. Very well said. I suspected things had been in motion before the actual events occurred. I too had seen the MySpace account and was alarmed by the flippant attitude of Meredith. My heart goes out to the boy and his family as well as the Kane family.

NLowrider 7 years, 4 months ago

Comment not meant for prude readers..

As any other horny 15 year old there would be no "injurious to his health" just lasting memories of getting it on with a teacher like any other 15 year old dreams of.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 4 months ago

"Well, Six, YOU might find it injurious to the student's health, but the student said it wasn't. So if that is the reason you are sentencing Kane, then try again.

Kane didn't hurt anyone, by the victim's own admission."

Victims don't always see themselves as victims, especially immature ones. A child may be able to describe trauma, but they often struggle to make meaning of it. What you need to understand is that IF he was traumatized, his initial response would probably be "it was no big deal". But then later in life, all the symptoms would boil to the surface.

The age differential isn't the only issue. The POWER differential between a student and a teacher is also an issue. This is not unlike a prison guard having "consensual" sex with an inmate.

"The kid was only 15 and had some mental problems."

I don't know where this info came from, but if this is a true statement, how then can we trust whether or not a 15 year old with mental issues knows what injury is?

I agree with the conviction, however, the term does seem severe.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 4 months ago

This young man may more harmed by having been partially responsible for screwing up this womans life. Do people honestly believe teenagers do not want to have sex?

However this would not have happened if the young man would have been having sex with a 15 or 16 year old woman. Then it becomes teens experimenting or boys will be boys. Would the young mans parents demand any type of court response over a teen-age frolic?

It was poor judgement on her part to believe no one would find out. Lawrence is a small town and high schools are smaller towns. 5 years in prison is absurd considering the young man did not scream rape.

pimp11 7 years, 4 months ago

justme2 7 years, 4 months ago

kneejerkreaction (Anonymous) says:

Kane didn't hurt anyone, by the victim's own admission.

Are you serious? It wasn't up to the victim to decide the sentencing...it was up to the judge. Meridith Kane broke the law and now she has to live with her poor decisions.

Sorry your sister will be spending time in prison...a place that is not known for treating pedophiles indly.

rabb 7 years, 4 months ago

Three words.... Jamie Lynn Spears.

Discuss.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 7 years, 4 months ago

If you would take the time to study the sex offender laws in Kansas or most any other state, you might find out just how political and emotional this topic has become. Everyone is out to find another Michael Jackson, now more than ever since Jackson would seem to have "gotten off". (no pun intended.) You can be arrested and charged for what you are thinking. If you reveal your thoughts to a police officer, thinking you are cooperating and will suffer no harm, you are dead wrong. The gestapo can jail you immediately and tell the DA that you admited to thinking about some illegal sex activity. The politicians, casting for votes, have made laws so severe that ANYONE can be accused and thereby is already GUILTY. Some gutter snipe trailer trash can accuse you, and it is off to jail. I know, I saw it happen. Be careful what you say to the cops. They are looking for more admiration from the Eagles Lodge and other alleged civic groups for their "catch". Right TR??????

lunacydetector 7 years, 4 months ago

i wonder what the sentence would've been if the teacher was super hot looking?

I_Bejewel 7 years, 4 months ago

I am not a prude by any means, and I do think the sentence is rather harsh. But something keeps nagging at the back of my mind, and that is: "If this were a 15-yr-old girl with a male teacher, what would be the response?" Just because a boy can get an erection and be horney does not mean that he's not a victim. It's wrong what she did, but I think she's been punished enough. 5 years is a long time. I'd rather see drug dealers in for that amount of time.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 4 months ago

15 gets you 5 years, 16 gets you married.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 4 months ago

He'd be getting high fives from his buds, that's for sure, LD.

She sure as hell shouldn't have done that, but 5 years. Yow. A whole lotta guys reveal that their first was somone an older gal and haven't been scarred. Her being a teacher is not good, but what if she wasn't a teacher? Yow. 5 years - but you're proably right, LD, not if she was a stone fox.

cap10_insano 7 years, 4 months ago

She'll get out, find some dope to marry, have kids and won't be eligable to serve on the PTA.

airhead55 7 years, 4 months ago

it seems that to me that the sentencing for meridith that they made an example out of her,, its strange how she got only 5 years while some pedofiles get off with just probation,no jail time for a year or more and a slap on the hand it justice for some.

denak 7 years, 4 months ago

I think the conviction and sentence is appropriate.

It doesn't matter that the boy was/is a raging bag of hormones or that he "consented."

It is her behavior on trial not his. So even if he followed her around butt naked begging for it, it wouldn't matter.

The law clearly states that, as a 15 year old he can not consent to a sexual relationship with an adult. Children that age do not have the experience or maturity to make that sort of decision. That is why there is this prohibition. The law recognizes that children should be protected. He can't sign a contract, he can't join the military, and no he can't consent to having a sexual relationship with his teacher even if she is hot...or not.

As a teacher, she knows that her behavior was unexcusable. I haven't talked to one teacher about this case, who has said that what she did was "ok." Apparently, they understand that they have a moral (and legal) obligation to not have sex with their students. She, apparently, did not or didn't care.

And now, rightly so, in my opinon, she is going to jail.

Bye Bye and good riddance.

Dena

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 4 months ago

As much as I consider her a perp, I also think she should have been given probabation. She'd suffer plenty just from losing her job and the shame of her crimes. I think she needs supervised probation, counseling and no jail time.

And, to answer the quesiton: I'd probably say something SIMILAR if she were a male teacher.

lildos 7 years, 4 months ago

I think it is funny how a lot of people say it is okay because he was a "horny" 15 year old, and as a man that was okay. Now I am a man, and I remember being 15 and horny, but girls were as sexually active as guys...and here comes the flip...if it is okay for a teacher to have sex with a 15 year old boy because he wanted it would it be okay for a male teacher to have sex with a 15 year old girl, because she wanted???

What happened to the kid is bad, as bad as if it happened to a girl. She should get as much as men would get, and while I think this will not solve her problem, it is still the law and should be followed.

cellogrl 7 years, 4 months ago

Enforcer, I could not agree with you more.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 4 months ago

It took very big people to go before the judge and request that she not be locked up.

dagopman 7 years, 4 months ago

Senate Bill 324 enacted by the Kansas legislature effective July 1, 2007 changes the teacher/student age dynamic by making it a personal felony for an educator to have a physical or sexual relationship with a K-12 student regardless of the age or consent of the student. The reasonable theory being that a teacher is in a position of power, authority and trust over a student.

Kudos to Governor Sebelius for signing this bill into law!

jayhawklawrence 7 years, 4 months ago

We have great teachers in this town. We are very fortunate in that regard. I think as a group, they are among the best in the country.

Someone like Meredith Kane betrays the goodwill that these teachers have created in the community.

It is a very sad situation but we have to punish this crime severely. A 15 year old is a child and this child was abused by a very sick person. If I would have caught her doing these things to my child....I would have no pity whatsoever.

black_butterfly 7 years, 4 months ago

She got what she deserved and anyone that thinks differently is just as perverted as she is. That 15 year old boy was someones MINOR CHILD, And is it true that he was one of the special ed students? What the hell could she have been thinking? She ruined her career and her life. Well, she will have plenty of time to think about what she did.

Crossfire 7 years, 4 months ago

enforcer said, "...get heavy." heh heh.

july241983 7 years, 4 months ago

You know, at 15 years old, the boy could have married her with judicial or parental consent. Under the law, a 15 year old can never consent to sex, but they can consent to marriage? Then, marriage is a defense to aggravated indecent liberties, so married 15 year olds have the "capacity" to consent to sex with the spouses, because a judge or their parent ok'ed the marriage, but a non-married 15 year old can never have the "capacity" to consent to sex.

In addition, it seems silly to me that someone can be 15 years, 364 days old, and if you have sex with them, you are a sex offender. But, at the stroke of midnight, they are free game. Also, it does not matter if the "victim" lies about their age. So what if they had a fake id and you met them at a bar, you are a sex offender!

JackKats 7 years, 4 months ago

Let us think this through about "being just six months from being of legal age"

How about just six months from being six months of legal age. Then just six months of being six monts of being six months of legal age.

I worry about so many comments of rationalizing the conduct of a sick perverted woman taking advantage of a child, yes a child, and so many minimizing it. This in itself shows just how sick this society has become.

Shame on all of you who have defended this woman and the truth of the matter, the courts ruling proves you wrong hands down.

Enforcer, i am in agreement with you 100%!

Reid Hollander 7 years, 4 months ago

I can't believe how many people have a problem with this decision. When you break the law you go to jail, that is the rule, not the exception.

If someone is doing drugs in front of me, I could very easily say, "It hasn't harmed me so please do not send them to jail". They have broke the law! It is not up to me at that point. It is the job (and what the taxpayers pay for) of the DA to prosecute, not to let people slide.

She was in violation of KSA § 21-3503, and she needs to go to jail. Just like I would if I was in violation of the same or any other of the Kansas Statutes.

annieinkansas 7 years, 4 months ago

Too bad the law was just passed this past July, or they could have locked up 3 of the male teachers from my generation who all had affairs with high school girls - with most of the acts occuring in the classroom. One teacher had multiple girls during the same time period. He provided alcohol. He wrote pornographic notes. He slithered around trying to bed other girls. I heard after we graduated they finally got busted. I think their punishment was losing their jobs. I hope all the papers will find the male teachers preying on female students as exciting as this story and make those front page news also.

CentennialNeighbor 7 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone remember the young junior high girl who was gang-raped after getting drunk, and when her mother brought charges, was essentially dismissed when the judge gave the men involved probation? It led to a recall effort, if I remember correctly ....

How would most of the commenters here compare the sentencing of this teacher, to the probation those guys got (didn't one of them violate probation at least once?)?

Joe Hyde 7 years, 4 months ago

A sentence of 69 months would have had a better ring to it -- if you know what I mean.

PeteJayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

While I don't condone Kane's behavior, I find it curious that Debra LeFave got house arrest and probation for sleeping with a middle schooler, and Ms Kane got 5 years in the slammer for sleeping with someone older.

Justice ain't fair.

ksdivakat 7 years, 4 months ago

Heres the issue, is the sentence approiate?? and no its not, not when there are pedophiles right here in this county who are charged and convicted of sodemy on a 3 YR OLD.....and receive 3 yrs probation. So the question is, who do you want to pay for in prison? cause its you and me who are gonna pay to house her, so do you want the teacher who boinked a 16 y/o boy in there or do you want the guy who stuck his junk in a 3 y/o, to go to prison?? Douglas county justice!!!

marcdeveraux 7 years, 4 months ago

jim rumsey? anyone who uses rumsey is going to be guilty, he works hand in glove with the prosecuting att. office, and jail time? wow no wonder people call kansas a backwater.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 4 months ago

Stiff sentence. Hard to justify. Wide open to appeal. Couldn't resist.

I have just committed a psychological crime. I wonder how many years should I get for that? I think I'll throw myself at the mercy of the shrink since it's a bit frightening to think about how some politician-appointed judge pronouncing sentence for this violation in virtual space.

Larry Bauerle Jr. 7 years, 4 months ago

As a teacher, I feel she got what she deserved. The line between student and teacher needs to be a wall not easily crossed. As a parent of three sons, I find it appalling that people would say my sons are no more protected than someone's daughters. Teachers, regardless of gender, should not be identifying students as potential mates. If they do, they are violating the trust of every student and every parent.

staff04 7 years, 4 months ago

"The two had promised to stay away from each other if Kane were granted probation."

Don't view me as an apologist by any means, but did the kid break the law in initiating contact after she was first busted? Is the use of the word "promise" some kind of first grade journalism, or was he under court order not to see her?

xfactor 7 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone else who reads ljworld online think Enforcer needs to get a job or hobby, rather than spending so much time posting comments on here?

BDub 7 years, 4 months ago

Nobody would be complaining about this sentence if the perpetrator were a man. If it were a man who had had sex with this boy, or if it were a man who had sex with a female victim of the same age, nobody would think this was too harsh.

Some of you need to recognize the double standard, and understand that this boy has in fact been injured by this action. Many of you have trivialized this, but the kid is not better off for having had a youthful fantasy fulfilled. There's a reason that society does not grant children the right to consent. This will probably be something he regrets being part of for the rest of his life.

BorderRat 7 years, 4 months ago

So how many years should an 18 year old High School Senior get for having sex with a 15 year old High School Sophmore? Just wondering....

Ray March 7 years, 4 months ago

i'm tired of looking at this creepy, squinty eyed sow on the main LJW page. can you remove her?

beawolf 7 years, 4 months ago

Notice how much she looks like his mother?

staff04 7 years, 4 months ago

Curious and too lazy to read all the posts, but does anyone think this sentence could be related to something revealed in another LJW story?

"Besides Biggs and Boyda, other potential candidates include Supreme Court Justice Carol Beier; Charles Branson, Douglas County district attorney; Sally Howard, Sebelius' chief counsel; District Judge Stephen Six, of Douglas County; Mike Leitch, director of Morrison's civil litigation division; and Topeka attorneys John Frieden and Dan Lykins."

Couldn't be AG if he didn't slam this girl, right?

nogoodreason 7 years, 4 months ago

At risk of sounding like I'm pointing out the obvious, the simple fact is we live in a country with laws and as citizens it is our duty to understand and abide by those laws, whether we like it or not. Regardless of whether or not we feel there were circumstances here that make what Kane did "okay" (I personally do not), the fact remains that what she did was illegal and as a citizen she is expected to know and abide by the laws. She was sentenced according to the guidelines for the crime she committed, and now must serve the time. Should we be entitled to know the laws, break the laws, but then come crying to a judge that somehow the laws should not apply to us?

Further, I agree with the comments about there being a double standard with male versus female teachers. Equal rights and equal responsibilities for all, right?

Lastly, that daft cow got just what she deserved.

blindrabbit 7 years, 4 months ago

I think she got what she deserved, especially since she continued the tryst even after it was revealed. I also symphathize with her if she truly does have some serious emothional problems; hopefully, she can work on them while she is incarcerated.

I would much rather she Ethical Sue Hack and Smiley Bob Johnson on the front page after being convicted of something; maybe even arrogance.

adriennerm 7 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if some of you would feel the same if this was a 15 year old girl. Or one better, if this was your 15 year old daughter.

It's sicking that people think b/c he was a boy, let's all high-five him and it's no harm done.

fairylight 7 years, 4 months ago

It would seem women are being held to a stricter standard than our male teachers. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/oct... In 2001, a 33-year-old male teacher resigned his position at Southwest Junior High School after he was charged with taking indecent liberties with a child. The teacher had become involved in a personal relationship with a 15-year-old girl. His attorney said the relationship was entirely consensual. The former teacher pleaded no contest to the charge, and a Douglas County judge placed him on probation. The girl's father had asked the judge not to send the teacher to prison.

More recently, Meredith Kane, a 24-year-old former Lawrence High School teacher, pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child - a 15-year-old boy at the time the crime occurred in 2006. She is to be sentenced on Oct. 29.

Kontum1972 7 years, 4 months ago

just wondering...so how many bipolar teachers are in the lawrence school district?

hmmmm..just wondering if the city commission will play the Bi-polar card to get out of what they did...

HerAunt 7 years, 4 months ago

In Nov 92, Meredith's maternal grandfather put a gun to his head, suffering from depression,and possibly bipolar disorder. If she and the "victim" found each other, what happened next may have been crossing the line. Who knows? But history does tend to repeat itself,and our so-called civilized nation will do all it can to persecute before it tries to understand. Shame on us.

dagopman 7 years, 4 months ago

There can never be any justification for a teacher to have a physical or sexual relationship with a student. It doesn't matter what the age of the student is or whether it was consensual or not. The teacher is supposed to be the professional and do what is in the best interests of the student. Having sex with a student is NEVER in the best interests of the student.

Someone earlier tried to make an argument that maybe they were in love. Love has nothing to do with a teacher abusing their power, authority and trust over the student. That is a weak argument.

JJHawq 7 years, 4 months ago

Personally, as a young parent of two boys and two girls, I hope people like "enforcer" keep doing what they are doing. Thank you!

How can you have a problem with her unless you are opposed to people who try to prevent our teachers from providing alcohol (and sex) to freshmen and sophomores...??

I hope my kids aren't having sex at 15 no matter who it is with. They may still, you can't stop it if they are determined to have it. You can try your best to prevent and educate about why it is generally best to wait for sex, in my opinion. I think it is harmful for emotional development for kids to be having sex young. What is the right age? I don't know - not 15 in my opinion. That being said, I think it is EXTREMLY dangerous (for emotional and sexual development) for someone that age to have sex with someone that is several years older.

I think that healthy realtionship skills are one of the most important things we can help our children develop. This includes intimacy and sexuality. I would hate to see anyone not develop these skills because some HORNY TEACHER used her role to get what SHE needed.

Is the sentencing too harsh - I don't know. I really don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong. No matter what I think about the sentencing, there is no doubt that what she did was wrong, very very wrong.

Newell_Post 7 years, 4 months ago

Where is Captain Ahab, when we really need him?

i_have_only_valid_opinions 7 years, 4 months ago

At some point during the 59 month vacation Meredith will be taking, the boy will grow up and realize it was just his penis talking and not his heart. At that point he will realize he wasn't in love with her, rather simply a horny adolescent boy having sex with his fat ass crazy bitch teacher.

verity 7 years, 4 months ago

I won't speak to the fairness of the sentence, although it does seem rather harsh in light of other sentences for what were probably worse crimes.

I would like to repeat something that has been said numerous times, but some people don't seem to get it. The age thing aside, she abused a position of authority. That is always wrong at any age.

However, the personal insults made about Ms. Kane's appearance, etc. are disgusting and juvenile and have nothing to do with anything.

domino 7 years, 4 months ago

I did quite a bit of checking into these charges and sentencing several months ago when I knew of an individual (male) who was charged with the same thing. He was also in a "trusted position" - minister instead of a teacher - he got considerably longer sentence than she did, but it was within the guidelines for sentencing and was not nearly as long as he could have got. Wish I could remember more of the specifics now. Do remember it was very specific of age (under 18 - not 16!). I believe that with sexual misconduct type crimes, they all use 18 as the age and not 16.

sheshapes 7 years, 4 months ago

Windlass (Anonymous) says:

It's a right sentence. She won't do any five years, though. She'll walk in the front door of the jail, and out the back door.

But I read these exhaustive posts and what comes to me is this: Everybody here would zip it up if the adults bedding down the children were Mormons:.

Now let's see how much we all give a damn about the children.

You did manage to stop the thread, but perhaps that's because the point of your statement is unclear. Are you saying that people would agree and not complain about the judgment if the woman teacher in question who was sentenced to five years for having sex with a 15 year old student was a mormon? Or that people would be more up in arms about it if she were Mormon? What and huh?

weloverollandgene 7 years, 4 months ago

not all mormons have a thing for teenage kids and ok this has been going on scince the boy was 15 years old and did every teenagers dream but seeing that the boy is 16 and seeing that the only reason that it stopped is that she was arrested for it whats the point of puntting her in jail for 5 years when it while proubly pick right back up when she gets out and i am sorry but a 15 year old is in the same state of mind as a 16 year old so he consited face it and get over it

laughingatallofu 7 years, 4 months ago

Putting her in jail isn't going to solve any of society's problems. After 59 months, she'll come out as scarred as the rest of the prison population. Rehabilitation? PULEEZZZe! As a society, we can't even begin to know how screwed up WE are! We can't blame all of our problems on the people that we send to prison. WAKE UP, PEOPLE!

vinividivici 7 years, 4 months ago

I was under the impression that the two knew each other before she was a teacher, and that he was never actually her student (though I am aware she was his study hall supervisor).

I think what she did was sick, but he consented. I was 15 not too long ago and dated guys nearly as old as her and do not consider myself to be emotionally scarred at all. I was old for 15, just as I am old for 22 now. And I'm still friends with those exes.

Justanopinion 7 years, 4 months ago

she is already on the sex offenders website...that was quick