Archive for Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ex-teacher arrested for contacting student

August 28, 2007

Former teacher arrested for violating court order

A former Lawrence teacher who admitted earlier this year to having sex with a student was arrested this afternoon for violating a court order in the case. Enlarge video

The former Lawrence High School teacher who admitted earlier this summer to having sex with a student was arrested Monday afternoon for violating a no-contact order issued by the court.

Meredith Kane, 24, was booked at the Douglas County Jail shortly before 6 p.m. Monday.

Kane pleaded guilty in July to one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child. The acts occurred between August 2006 and March of this year with a student who was 15 at the time.

She was arrested in March. As part of her release from jail on $15,000 bond, Kane was required to have no contact with any witness or the victim.

Kane's sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 12.

Comments

Bill Chapman 6 years, 7 months ago

I will only type this comment about the arranged marriage in Turkey- That is a different society with different laws, NOT the United States!

And to powershopper: Why am I a jack-ass? I don't mind being called names - it means that you read some of my post(at least my name), but if you are going to call me a name at least let me know why you are doing so. Who knows - I might change my view!

If we start judging every case where a teacher. coach, etc. was sexually involved with a student on the "merits" of "true love" we might as well just throw out every law in the nation. Not only will this bog down the legal system to the point of stopping, but it will cause personal belief of right & wrong to influence the legal system. Without a standard of law for all, we will have anarchy as everyone tries to use their own "right& wrong" beliefs to judge everyone.

RightinLawrence 6 years, 7 months ago

HerAunt...

You know....that is a bunch of hooey! There are just some things that are black and white. Your argument and situational morality exemplify what is so wrong with our society.

An adult teacher does not have sex with a minor student. Pretty black and white to me.

It matters not that he likes her. It matters not that he may have written her a letter. It matters not that she likes him. It matters not that she thinks she loves him. It matters not that she has low self-esteem. It matters not whether we know her personally. It matters not that there aren't signs of forcible rape...she has admitted to the actions.

Despite what much of society may think, there are somethings that are always wrong. And this, dear Auntie, is one of them.

Nothing else matters.

justtired 6 years, 7 months ago

where were his parents?!?!?!?!

Crossfire 6 years, 7 months ago

Not one single person who's condemning this "girl" knows her personally. She is not a "girl". She is a woman. She was a teacher. She was entrusted with the care of the children. She took that trust and laid it in the dirt. She should have given him a chance to grow up. To date girls his age, not be taken by a predator. If she were a man (nambla member?) he/she would still deserve time in jail. He's not crying now but will have to endure this much longer than MK's jail time. Open your eyes.

Pogo 6 years, 7 months ago

What if she had been was high from illegal drug consumption when she did all this? USD 497 does NOT have a pre-employment drug testing programs for those people who spend upwards of 10 hours per day with our children. The "random drug screening" that is done is NOT done on any regular basis and tends to target staff who have political differences with USD 497 administration.

What about SRS social workers who are assigned the task of protecting our children? Where is the cry "It's for the children" when it comes to making certain that SRS social work staff are not dope hounds when they're not on the job? SRS has no pre-employment drug screening.

Why are our children so defenseless when it comes to having an iota of say concerning the people paid by tax dollars to protect and look out for them?

HerAunt 6 years, 7 months ago

It's ironic.Not one single person who's condemning this girl knows her personally. If she was a man, and there were visible signs of forced encounters, I'd say ok, lock 'em up. This is not the case. It's two people not using good judgement. I don't hear the boy crying to his mama that he's being abused. In fact,he wrote several letters to the girl, asking to be with her. Age makes it illegal. Ok, so there are laws. She won't ever have a normal life,because too much time will be spent behind bars. But yes,this girl still believes she loves this kid,and when there's not any reality, all of you sitting at your computer,trying to condemn her,doesn't do jack. Grow up,and look in the mirror.

bennyoates 6 years, 7 months ago

Yet another reason for doing away with Socialist Public Education!!! This is all the fault of the liberals and the feminists!! She probably wants to vote for Hillary so she can intern and meet Slick Willy in the White House!! Or should I say Black (Death) House if that Muslim Terrorist Obama Osama wins!!!

Crossfire 6 years, 7 months ago

Meredith Kane might be the first female priestess in the Catholic Church. ...fine wine and Alter Boys. Why should the old men get all the tenders?

monkeyspunk 6 years, 7 months ago

The recently elected leader of Turkey, married his wife when she was 15, he was almost 30 I believe. It was an arranged marriage. Does this make him a perv? Discuss!

powershopper 6 years, 7 months ago

Dracul....you truly are a jack-ass.....

plumberscrack 6 years, 7 months ago

Termcd4 says:

I am offended by your words. I happen to be a 43 year old female, a teacher, and a parent to four teenagers, boys and girls. I was in no way condoning what this woman has done. I was however, trying to inject some thought provoking insight to this conversation. That perhaps she is not to be considered a perv, but someone with a very low self-esteem, who for some reason, lead herself to believe this 'affair' was on "OK thing" in her own mind. Who knows? You certainly don't. You don't know me, and I bet you don't know the persons in this article. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Termcd4 says:

Dont you all think maybe , just maybe the 15 year old boy has been a willing participant? Why does she have to be a sick child molester, if they had a 'relationship'? +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Informed says:

Termcd4, I am truly hoping that my children do not have you as their teacher. If you're so willing to 'blur the lines' on this issue, on what other issues will you compromise? +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Informed says:

Termcd4, here is your statement: "(sic)Dont you all think maybe , just maybe the 15 year old boy has been a willing participant? Why does she have to be a sick child molester, if they had a 'relationship'?"

What/how are we misconstruing your statement? A 15 year old C H I L D cannot consent, therefore he cannot possibly be a willing participant. Period. We are dealing with a teacher who crossed the line. And apparently is crossing it again.

How are we confusing your "statement for your opinion"? ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Termcd4 says:

I do not have a problem with bluring any lines in any situation here. You all kill me I will leave you all to your pig headed self-righteousness. Find someone else to bitch at: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just hope Termcd4 ISN'T USD 497 teacher or we may have another Ms Kane teaching our kids! With thinking like Termcd4 and Ms Kane teaching our kids, no wonder kids today are in such trouble!!

Bill Chapman 6 years, 7 months ago

Fact 1: A 15 yr old male student was involved in a sexual relationship with a 24 yr old female teacher.

Fact 2: In Kansas(and most -if not all- U.S. States), this is illegal. It is called statutory rape. It is called that because the victim in this crime was a(most likely) willing participant. These laws are in place to help protect children and others from sexual predators(knowing or not).

Fact 3: It is a fact that people have a tendency to "imprint" on their first sexual partner. Whether or not the victim is willing in the act, there ARE life-long problems this can cause. The "imprinting" is usually on more than just a body type, it can include sexual acts (bondage, S&M, etc.) as well. This is why many sexual predators were themselves victims of sexual predators.

Fact 4: After getting caught, arraigned, pleading guilty, and being released on bail with the condition she >!>have NO contact with the victim<!<; she has had contact (sexual?) with the victim! She has ignored her bail restrictions, knowing that it will place her in jail for a longer sentence.

Opinion: I have said it before and I will say it again - sexual crimes should have one (and ONLY one) sentence : death! Whether or not the people committing these crimes realise it, they are condemning their victims to years of therapy and mental torment. This is worse than physical torture (most can recover from this over time), sexual crimes are the same as mental torture - it will last as long as the victim lives.

justme2 6 years, 7 months ago

jcstepmom28, I think a no contact order means no contact. She wouldn't have been arrested if she just contacted some random student. And surely she wouldn't have her bail revoked if she had just contacted someone besides this particular student.

just_thinking 6 years, 7 months ago

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????too many questions//good points...

max1 6 years, 7 months ago

"Kansas teacher salaries rank 41st of the 50 states." -agnostick

And yet:

Friday, March 18, 2005 http://6news.ljworld.com/section/schools/story/199337 Kansas spends less than the national average on K-12 education, the U.S. Census Bureau reported Thursday, but even the lower price tag is a heavier burden on taxpayers than in most states. . . During that year [2002-2003], Kansans spent $51.91 to support public education for every $1,000 that they earned. Nationwide, the average tax was $49.52 for every $1,000 earned.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/aug... The survey found that a male Lawrence resident who works full-time on a year-round basis earned an average of $35,610 in 2005. That compared to an average of $67,349 for the same Overland Park resident and $57,034 in Olathe. The statewide average for such workers was $39,251.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

Not once. Not twice. But 5 times. This chick is twisted.

luckysgirl 6 years, 7 months ago

Teachers boffing students is a no-no across the board. I don't care who the child is (girl or boy), you just don't do this. Obviously this former teacher (and let's hope she'll be permanently in the "former" category from now on) was looking for attention from the media. And she got it, didn't she? Looks like she'll have plenty of time to think about what she's done. I don't agree with the comments about peanuts for pay buying monkeys for teachers. If anything, I think it's the present administration's No Child Left Behind theory's that are sending our best teachers into other professions. Add in a bureaucracy that bogs the teacher down in time consuming, useless paper work and you do get a lower grade of teacher. The best move on to other professions.

Baille 6 years, 7 months ago

It's been awhile. :)

But...the most common problems associated with teenage child sexual abuse were persistent negative feelings toward the self, problems forming long-term meaningful relationships (not necessarily romantic) with peer females, and sexual behavior that deviated from the statistical norm.

In other words man whores who felt badly about themselves, man prudes who felt badly about themselve, and in both cases emotionally distant and stunted individuals who had a hard time relating to women outside of a sexual context.

As with all things statistical, some victims were fine and some were really a lot worse than others. And of course, some man whores are just born - or are made for other reasons unrelated to sexual abuse.

I would agree that the older the child, the less likely they are to suffer harm - outside the harm that seems to be inherent in casual sexual contact, but power differentials tend to increase teh likelihood of harm even where both parties are of age.

Fortunately, sexual abuse is widely studied. Unfortunately, I think that is because it is so prevalent. I don't disagree that there are much worse incidents of child sexual abuse that we could talk about, but that does not mean this case doesn't count.

The affects of child sexual abuse are perisistent and cyclical. Some are subtle and some are pretty freakin obvious. Further, it is an emotional issue for many people. I know that I get angry when people try to downplay the severity of the act simply because the victim is a teenage male or because the victim enjoyed the act. (And I am not accusing you or anyone of doing that here.) The fact is that a lot of childhood victims - young, single-digit years old victims - enjoy the acts that constitute sexual abuse - or at least the intimacy and the attention. It is one of the major complicating factors in helping these kids and is one of the primary reasons why their ability to form strong bonds with other people becomes skewed.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 7 months ago

Baille Are you talking about case studies about mid to late teen males having sexual relationships with older women? Or have there been enough case studies to where there is data? And either way, do you remember what kinds of damage/problems were common in these males?

Baille 6 years, 7 months ago

"Watson Library"

Yep. Just read the story on the schol hall. :)

And the specifics you want are there. I did a lot of research on the issue during my undergrad years.

NotALBERTOGonzales 6 years, 7 months ago

Mister Kotter! Mister Kotter!

I know the answer!

happy2behere 6 years, 7 months ago

Horsegirl, it doesn't matter WHO the aggressor is or how old they are. In this situation Sex with a minor, under ANY circumstances is wrong. Even if the minor consented & wanted the act, they are still not mature enough emotionally to handle the ramifications. If Ms. Kane were mature enough to handle the situation appropriately, she would have done the mature thing & waited until he was 18 and not her student any more. If he was emotionally mature enough to handle the situation, he would have been looking at girls his own age and realized that she is too old for him. She ruined her future and possibly his with her decision to cross the line and act on lust. It was ultimately HER decision because she is the adult.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 7 months ago

Baille I guess you mean Watson Library, at KU... and yes, I suppose there would be some good information there... but I wonder if there would be the kind of specifics that I am wondering about...

MyName 6 years, 7 months ago

Okay, I can't think of very many people who are more stupid in this teacher. I mean it's one thing to show poor judgement with regards to her previous actions, but to violate the terms of your parole for nothing is beyond foolish.

salad 6 years, 7 months ago

No one needs to punish the boy, I'm 100% certain that his friends are doing an ample job of that. Lots of, "Dude, there's your girlfriend!" comments everytime a woman of size walks by. He'll never live this one down.

Kmat's comments are dead-on, btw. I always find it funny how conservatives complain about the quality of teachers, but never want to jump in there and help. Guess the money's not right, and you'd have to actually care about others and want to help society. On the other hand, about 99% of administrators are conservative....

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 7 months ago

Whats with the Tuckaway Ad above her picture?

A 65 year old having sex with a 65 year old is a lifelong mental disturbance. Geeeeeeeez, the fifteen year old dude is not much different in age than this "teacher". Maybe she is 15 in maturity also. but 65 year olds having sex with 70 year olds is bad, now then a 45 year old and a 70 year old, that too could have a lasting impression for years!!

Baille 6 years, 7 months ago

'Is there any clinical evidence that a15 year old male having sex with an older woman causes life-long, or any other kind of damage?"

Absolutely. There is a lot of research on the effects of childhood sexual abuse that covers both age and gender. Of course, as any social worker knows who paid attention in stat class knows, conclusions about the data in these studies becomes less reliable as one decreases the targeted population toward one (i.e. it is hard to make predictions about individual reactions based on generalizations) but the data and the studies are out there and they are compelling.

Watkins Library is a wonderful resource for that kind of information. Borrower cards are available for $10/year. Research is free.

horsegirl 6 years, 7 months ago

Let me start of by saying what she did was wrong, completely wrong. She was in a position of authority and should in no way let herself become involved with a student. And Happy2behere, I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience as a teenager.

HOWEVER, I do not believe that it affects all teenagers the same way and yes, I know for a fact that teenagers can be the aggressors and do indeed brag about such "accomplishments" for many years beyond. Let's just say I know a couple of those former aggressors, and it sure didn't seem to traumatize them at all.

I do not know this boy, so I cannot say he did or did not pursue this relationship at all. That is not my place. I also would not condone such a relationship. However, to say that a teenage boy (or maybe even girl? I cannot say) cannot be an aggressor, would be wrong. Being a teenager does not make one innocent of ANY wrongdoing (and again, before you all start typing away, criticizing me, I'm not talking about THIS particular teenager, I don't know him or his involvement). What I'm saying is that in a situation like this, the teacher is definitely at fault, and the student could be at fault as well, depending on his/her maturity level, but to a lesser degree.

I'm sure this will get the comments rolling!

janeyb 6 years, 7 months ago

Cost-of-living should come into play on teachers salaries. I have a relative that just went from a teaching position near Durango, CO to a similar position near Terre Haute, IN. All he could afford to do in CO was rent a basement apartment. He's buyiing a brick 1940's Cape Cod in Indiana for $100,000--it would be at least a half million in Durango. You can't compare teachers' salaries without considering cost-of-living. As crazy as it may seem, he hated Colorado and though he would prefer Kansas City, he's thrilled to be back anywhere in the Midwest.

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 7 months ago

That chick has got crazy eyes in her mug shot.

IMHO, teaching is a position of authority which must be used appropriately. As a teacher, it is inappropriate even to truly befriend your students (pleasant good, friendly fine, friend bad) because it compromises your ability to wield your authority fairly. This person has gone one step further and has failed her duties by committing an illegal act. There are not any excuses nor circumstances which might mitigate the degree to which she has failed her responsibility as a teacher and as a person of authority.

happy2behere 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't normally respond to this, but I had this happen to me many years ago when I was 16 and believe me, consentual or not, that situation has shadowed EVERY decision, good or bad, that I have made since then. It took a very good therapist to help me put that in the past & leave it there. NO ONE, male or female, in the position of teacher should be allowed to get away with damaging an immature child in that manor. And if you all think that Meredith Kane is the only one suffering reprocussions from this, you are sadly wrong. The kids at the high school know who the boy is and I would just imagine that he is getting unwanted attention also.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 7 months ago

adriennerm I certainly don't think that "it's ok"... but I think it is important to understand why it's not okay... and I think this: "She was in a position of power. She abused that power." is maybe the primary reason that it's not okay...

And... I'll admit that for me it would be different if the teacher were male the child female... and I think that the difference is a cultural one and highly doubt that I'm the only one who believes/feels there is a difference...

purplesage 6 years, 7 months ago

She violated a no-contact order. Unless some of you have knowledge beyond what's in the LJW, none of us knows what that no-contact violation involved.

Money and education do NOT guarantee morality. Someone mentioned the candidate for first-gentleman, the former President. He is loaded and that didn't stop the Lewinsky situation. There was a report about about a physician seeking a sexual opportunity with a minor just last week.

Sex offenders usually don't "learn". Recidivism is up around 90%. If it was a male teacher, there'd be no sympathy, regardless of the girl's "consent". She violated the moral parameters of her position. It has nothing to do with the pay scale in Kansas though it could probably use a boost. But they can't pay for education now, so what are we going to do?

adriennerm 6 years, 7 months ago

Would some of you view this differently if the teacher were male and the child female.

I am shocked that some people think it's ok b/c he's a teenaged-boy and now he has bragging rights.

Throw the book at the teacher. I could care less if she had low self-esteem. She had sex with a child. She was in a position of power. She abused that power. Once again I repeat..throw the book at her.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 7 months ago

powershopper It may very well be more traumatized by comments made here, and or harassment by his peers than having had sex with an older woman... a teacher...

powershopper 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm with stuckinthemiddle on this one. There is a chance, however, that he WAS tramatized by the fat rolls. She is one large chica....

BigDog 6 years, 7 months ago

Maybe she should have a press conference and talk about how she has been immature and has found God. It seems to be working for rehabbing some of Michael Vick's image.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 7 months ago

Is there any clinical evidence that a15 year old male having sex with an older woman causes life-long, or any other kind of damage? And in particular, is there any evidence that a 15 year old male suffers damage through sexual relations with an older woman if those relations are not made public and there is no social consequences?

Kodiac 6 years, 7 months ago

My apologies to you TOB for the wrongful source attribution of the said quote. Indeed, or even the goings on of anyone's privacy behind closed doors. I totally agree with most on here though, being a willing participant does not matter, the 24 year old teacher needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Well said THB.

1derer 6 years, 7 months ago

Just 1dering. Was that termcd4's statement or opinion?

kmat 6 years, 7 months ago

If TermCD4 is a teacher as she claims, then why is she posting on here during normal school hours when she's supposed to be teaching her students??? I think she's a fake or friend of the sick teacher that got busted. If she is really a teacher, then she must be a pretty poor one because she's spending her time on the internet instead of teaching her class. Why don't you come out and say who you are so the parents can decide if they want their kids being taught by a teacher that obviously cares more about playing on the internet instead of teaching your kids. When I taught (before we had computers in the classes and had internet access), I never had a spare moment to mess around. Hell, we barely had a chance to eat and go to the bathroom. Just what kind of teacher are you?

Teachers are trusted to be the caregivers of these children while they are at school. Parents trust that their kids are in good hands. The Lawrence school district needs to be investigated also. So many school districts in the KC area are desperate for teachers and will hire just about anyone that is willing to work for the slave wages they pay. I left teaching because the system is so broke and it doesn't appear that it's ever going to get fixed. I can say out of my graduating class from KU school of Ed, only one of the people I kept in touch with is still teaching. Over 20 of us left the profession within the first ten years because you get no support from the districts and work for next to nothing. And the problem is going to get much worse as the baby boomers start to retire. There are a lot of teachers due to retire in the next ten years and not enough good, qualified teachers coming into the system.

KsGirl 6 years, 7 months ago

It wasn't an adult witness. The headline says "arrested for contacting student". So even if it wasn't the victim, it was still inappropriate with the current allegations for her to contact any student.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

Kodiak - OldEnufdad made that comment. I'm not learned on the goings on of a 15 year old behind closed doors. OldEnuf apparently is.

TheHeartlessBureaucrat 6 years, 7 months ago

cold shiver

I noticed a comment by someone who said she was a teacher saying that the 15 year old may have been a willing participant.

This could be reasonable considering a developmental point of view, that teenage males are interested in sex.

However, from a professional point of view, taking advantage of this young person's situation is absolutely unimaginable...or at least it should be. We as professionals, whether we are teachers, preachers, nurses, psychologists, social workers, etc. have absolutely NO business having a non professional relationship with the people we provide services for. There is a boundary there...we can be friendly, accommodating and nurturing but when we start taking BACK from that emotional exchange for our own needs, there's a big ol' problem.

Maybe I'm too "old school." I see professionals hanging out with person's served from time to time but I personally do not agree with it. I know that my professional organization has strict rules about having personal relationships with clients. I respect those boundaries and do not cross them.

To try to justify this behavior, especially from one who claims to be a teacher is shocking.

We work closely with the people we're trying to benefit. There is a level of intimacy there but you have to know the difference between elevating someone and taking advantage of them. This teacher saw an inherent weakness and exploited it for her personal gain.

Y'know...I think folks who are looking at this with an open mind and trying to understand the emotion are just trying to see it from all points of view. That is admirable. But some boundaries have been investigated thoroughly.

THB

6 years, 7 months ago

The no contact order included the victim and witnesses. Now where does it say that she had contact with the "victim"? I am not seeing that part and for all we know it could have been someone far removed, even an ADULT witness, that resulted in violation of the order. I agree, no contact means no contact. But where do you guys get off jumping to the conclusion that she contacted the victim?

Oh wait a sec, this is the LJW. My bad, make all the assumptions you want folks.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

"I am not far enough removed from 15 years old..."

That part of your post made sense. The rest of it was rediculous.

termcd4: Why make a reference to "self" righteousness? This is the problem! A person who is a positivist and really, firmly holds onto a moral value system is labeled with terms such as "self-righteous" and "intolerant". It becomes implied that if a person stands up for values, then they have a disorder of the heart. Not fair!

I speak out against sexual sin because I've been there, done that, and have the scars to show for it. There is no "self righteousness" here. I want to challenge you to consider what would make you wonder about their "relationship". Are you implying that what happened was 100% wrong, yet at the same time we should consider that parts of what happened were OK? If it was truly wrong, then why is there a part of you that is willing to toy around with the idea that some aspect of their romantic relationship was natural and beautiful ("natural and beautiful" being how I interpreted your words)? I don't say this to attack your character (which is probably how I've been coming across - and I apologize) but to bring to light how much our culture suffers as a result of having lost our moral compass. Even healthy adults read this and post things like "he's got bragging rights". No he doesn't! He has scars that will last a lifetime. But, in a world where morality is on par with bigotry... it's no wonder that we have problems like this.

I need to step off my soapbox now. Life is calling.

Kontum1972 6 years, 7 months ago

Wow...somebody call the quarter back named Vick...!

Woof.....Woof...!

Kodiac 6 years, 7 months ago

"And, if he's like most boys his age, he was probably a chronic masturbator" TOB

Well...um...er....hmmm....

No comment.

TheOriginalCA 6 years, 7 months ago

Agnostick, your salary comment might have slight merit, but remember that the cost of living in Kansas is much less than most regions. So unless that statistic you just quoted takes that into consideration, its impact is relatively low. I live in Maryland and work in DC. I make 50% more than when I lived in Lawrence but pay 3 x's the rent. Grocery prices are much higher here too. Still, this is beside the point of this issue. This did not cause this person to commit a crime.

Emily Hadley 6 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps if you were MORE removed from being a 15-year old boy, you might have heard more about how young boys are frequently victims of sexual abuse but are also very unlikely to report it due to so much social stigma.

Being 15 often means being confused and scared to talk to adults or friends about what's going on in one's life. It can also mean trying to present oneself as tough and resilient to protect oneself. I have known many boys and men who went through traumatic and disturbing events as kids -- and teens -- that they would never have honestly shared with anyone as kids, much less reported to authorities. Trusted liaisons such as WRAP workers can sometimes bring such abuse to the surface, but more often, things such as what happened here are kept secret until adulthood.

We are supposed to protect our children.

Emily Hadley 6 years, 7 months ago

"I am not far enough removed from 15 years old to recognize that 1). The kid is not the least bit tramatized and 2). He now has bragging rights that he nailed one of his high-school teachers."

Give people, including 15-year old boys, more credit!! Everyone is different, this is a situation where one person has a lot of power over another, and not every 15-year old boy thinks like this. It is sad that some people assume that they do. Many 15-year olds are shy, insecure, respectable, and of course, very impressionable by ADULTS.

cheeseburger 6 years, 7 months ago

powershopper - there certainly is that element which is prevalent in high schools today, but we must not assume all teens have similar agendas. It sounded as though RIghtinLawrence knows this particular student and believes he was coerced into a situation he was uncomfortable with.

powershopper 6 years, 7 months ago

posessionannex 6 years, 7 months ago

I am offended by your words. I happen to be a 43 year old female, a teacher...

...You don't know me...

I can about guess, though.

powershopper 6 years, 7 months ago

She should take a teaching job in Arkansas.

cheeseburger 6 years, 7 months ago

Rightin - thanks for your perspective. Too often it is thought that 'nailing one's teacher' is on the top of the agenda of many students.

RightinLawrence 6 years, 7 months ago

This woman has obvious issues and, possibly, the initial relationship she had with the student was a slip, a running away of her emotions. One would think, however, after having lost her job and being criminally charged, her intellect would awaken and the realization of what she has done would kick in.

Apparently not. For her to continue, after all that has happened and with her freedom on the line, truly shows that she just doesn't get it. It is sad for her; I agree.

But, it is the boy who most deserves our sympathy. He deserved much better for his high school years. This is a sweet kid who should never have been put in this position by someone whose charge is was to educate and mentor. The kids at school know who he is, the teachers and staff know who he is...high school years are difficult enough and now this woman has seen fit to, as school begins again for him, once again interfere in his life. God forbid it become too much for him to take. He needs our prayers. Not many adults could hold up under this weight.

Termcd4 6 years, 7 months ago

cheeseburger 6 years, 7 months ago

OldEnuf- You may be right about that; I hope not, but the track record thus far certainly isn't commensurate with someone who realizes they crossed the line.

Silence_Dogood 6 years, 7 months ago

OK, back to your boring lives, Lawrencians.

Emily Hadley 6 years, 7 months ago

Kansas teacher salaries rank 41st of the 50 states ???

That is horrible! Regardless of what caused this particular woman's awful series of decisions, I agree with Centrist: "If you're paying peanuts, you'll get monkeys."

There are many amazing teachers in Kansas who sacrifice their personal time, money, and energy far beyond what should be expected of any worker earning their salary, and they deserve to receive more compensation for such critically important work. In addition, teachers need secure pay in order to do the best job they can for our kids.

I found this NEA report ranking Kansas as 39th:

Granted, the cost of living is not adjusted, but is it that much cheaper to live here than, say, Idaho or Arkansas?

I hope Lawrence is at least above average for the state...

Baille 6 years, 7 months ago

Most things have explanations - that does not make them grey areas ethically.

It may well be that this explanation for this teacher's behavior relies in part on an emotional deficit in her life and issues around self-esteem. Such things in no way justify her behavior.

It may well be that part of the explanation for why she was able to have sex with the teenage boy was that he wanted to have sex with her. This does not justify her behavior nor should it be a mitigating factor in the punishment for statutory rape. (On the other hand, degree of harm caused, age of the victim, frequency of the sexual encounters may well be mitigating factors.)

I do not see that it is inherently wrong to discuss whether the teacher and the student had a genuine romantic relationship. This would seem germaine to the issues and useful in trying to formulate an explanation for how and why a Lawrence teacher had sex with a Lawrence student.

While morailty is real and (leaving aside a prolonged philosophical debate and speaking simply as a person) some things are just plain wrong, seeking explanations does not change that.

coolmarv 6 years, 7 months ago

Termcd4 (Anonymous) says: "I was however, trying to inject some thought provoking insight to this conversation."

This was where you went wrong.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

"I'm just not convinced that 'a person who made a terrible decision' and 'career pedophile' are necessarily synonymous."

I'd agree, but you have to admit that her inability to honor the no-contact order seems to suggest that she's not learning her lesson. She has now made multiple "terrible decisons" in this regard. After a while, that can become a career.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

Termcd4: You are offended by our responses to you, but carefully read your posts. You come across as if you are a teacher and a parent who thinks that the "cooperation" of the victim (as if such a thing was possible) should be a mitigating circumstance.

Of course the 15 year old boy was a "willing participant"! He's big enough to fight off a physical attack by a woman, so if it happened, he was "willing". But at 15, he can't make those decisions. And, if he's like most boys his age, he was probably a chronic masturbator and eager to let his hormones rage with his blond teacher - but that is 0% of the issue here. His vulnerablity and inability to make adult decisions means he cannot be "willing". You asked if they had a "relationship". A romantic "relationship" is not possible between them. If they had sex, their relationship was only "perp" and "victim". I think the parents and taxpayers of Lawrence are reacting to you the way they are because if YOU are fuzzy on such a simple matter of morals and ethics then how many other teachers in our schools don't know right from wrong?

I have to ask this: Was Bill Clinton wrong to have oral sex with Monica in the oval office? In my mind, there is only a technical difference between these cases. Bill used his position of power and influence to get sex from a "woman" who was an emotional child. Was that OK in your mind? We HATE admitting that there is a thing called "wrong" and "sin", and our inability to do so speaks to why we have school teachers who don't understand that a child cannot consent to a sexual relationship.

I look forward to the time when we finally decide to give ourselves permission to admit that morality is real; that some things are just wrong. Everything is grey, it seems, and the children suffer.

cheeseburger 6 years, 7 months ago

Can we agree that love transcends age barriers? Of course it does. What is important is whether and how a person acts on that love. In this case, the teacher acted inappropriately according to the laws of our society. Will she reoffend with this particular person? That question has already been answered. Is she likely to reoffend with another juvenile? I have my doubts. Regardless, she must be taken out of the position of trust (teacher) because of her actions. I'm just not convinced that 'a person who made a terrible decision' and 'career pedophile' are necessarily synonymous.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 7 months ago

How are we confusing your "statement for your opinion"?

BigDog 6 years, 7 months ago

Kansas teacher salaries rank 41st of the 50 states.

This was based on a 2004-2005 survey. Prior to Kansas taxpayers spending an additional $400+ million for education. If this hasn't ended up in the improvement of teachers pay ...... parents should be asking why ........ Are parents asking??

Termcd4 6 years, 7 months ago

Informed you wrote... :"Termcd4, I am truly hoping that my children do not have you as their teacher. If you're so willing to 'blur the lines' on this issue, on what other issues will you compromise?"... Once again, I do not agree with what she did! I do not think it is OK! I get what you all said, and appreciate it, but you all are confusing my statement for my opinion. I would never allow such an occurance with a teacher and a child, if I were in that position. My ability to teach children is not at question here! I would NEVER blur the lines, nor compromise any other issues conserning children!

b3 6 years, 7 months ago

She is sick and should be put down, or at the very least spend the rest of her life in prison so everyone elses kids are safe.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

"That perhaps she is not to be considered a perv, but someone with a very low self-esteem, who for some reason, lead herself to believe this 'affair' was on "OK thing" in her own mind."

THAT is exactly how child molesters see themselves. "They initiated it, not me." "I thought it was beautiful and natural." Child molesters say "I was seduced" and "It was love". Comments like yours perpetuate the rationality of the molester. Does she have low self esteem? Of course she does, and probably worse! Which is why I said I felt sorry for her, but do not allow your empathy for her plight to keep you from realizing that she is basically a RAPIST. So, your comment "perhaps she is not to be considered a perv" is ALL wrong. "Pervert" basically just means "twisted out of its natural form" (my paraphrase). The word doesn't imply she's sub-human or devilish, but that she's strayed from a normal, natural path. I'd call simple adultery "perverted"; so yes, she's a perv.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 7 months ago

Pywacket 6 years, 7 months ago

Termcd4: read OldEnuf's and Ceallach's comments, above. Then read them again.

What he thinks he wants is not the issue. He is too young to make such life-changing decisions for himself. He's still a kid. If kids were given the green light to follow all their hormone-fueled impulses, with no protection and guidance from society, a lot more of them would end up with ruined lives. A 15-year-old may think it a great idea to start doing meth, too. If a (supposedly adult) teacher supplied him with that, would THAT be his fault because he "pursued" it?

A teacher has a sacred duty (and I do not use that phrase lightly or often) to do the right thing by her/his students. The right thing involves teaching, offering encouragement and support, guiding the student to counseling if he needs it, and otherwise unselfishly looking out for his wellbeing. It never, ever, ever, ever, ever includes tumbling into the sack with the student, however much that student thinks he/she wishes just that. Any teacher tempted to do so, even in fleeting thoughts, should seek help immediately instead of acting on that temptation.

Lots of students have crushes on their teachers. The vast majority of those teachers respond appropriately--remaining a friendly and positive influence on the student's life while at the same time firmly keeping the student at arm's length. The student will, in most cases, eventually turn his/her attention to an age-appropriate love interest. In later years, the student can then look back at the teacher with respect.

Teachers are human, and they might feel an attraction to someone who is so close to being/looking adult. But students are NOT adults, and that fact should quell any thought of expressing that attraction. If the teacher shows no more self-control or judgment than a hormonal adolescent, she has a serious problem.

It's very likely that, if she hadn't gone into teaching, her latent interest in adolescents would've surfaced anyway. Maybe she would have preyed on the vulnerable son of a friend, or taken to hanging around where youths gather and attempted to chat up attractive boys. Would you still be supportive of her if her aberrant focus had taken one of these routes?

cool 6 years, 7 months ago

very sad.

well she is going to have plenty time to 'reform' now.

Ceallach 6 years, 7 months ago

Termcd4, we must consider the fact that many perverted people consider what they are doing as an "OK thing." Pedophiles are totally delusional about whether or not what they are doing is wrong. They use the "it may not be normal for you, but it is normal to me" excuse.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

I totally thought Termcd4's original post was satire.

A 15 year old cannot legally be a willing participant. It's always good to see the, "you don't know her," argument.

Baille 6 years, 7 months ago

"Dont you all think maybe , just maybe the 15 year old boy has been a willing participant?"

Consent does not matter. That is why it is statutory rape and not forcible rape.

Lots of child victims of sexual abuse are "willing" participants in that they are coerced to do something that they do not have the capacity to fully understand. Admittedly this line grows fainter as a child approaches adulthood; however. we as a society haave chosen to draw a bright line that says people over 18 can't have sex with people under 18 and that teachers can't have sex with students. We have done this because teenagers aren't adults. For the most part, they as a class lack frontal lobe development that allows them to make wise decisions and while sex with your teacher, a family friend, or some other person in a position of confidence and/or power may feel good, the consequence of that sex can have long-lasting and far-ranging detrimental effects.

So it is illegal. Even if the child/teenager wants to have sex, the adult must say "no." This - for most of us - is not that hard to do or to comprehend the reasons why. For some of us, it is apparently a little harder.

Termcd4 6 years, 7 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad: " You write like a child molestor. There is NO WAY you would have written that if it had been a male teacher and YOUR 15 year old daughter. THEN you'd see the teacher as a perp."

Ceallach 6 years, 7 months ago

TOB, thanks for getting those replies out of the way :) She should remain in custody until her trial, and hopefully afterwards. Adolescent boys and girls need to be protected until their mental development catches up with the physical (whether or not they appreciate it :).

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

She just wanted one last fling before going to jail. Is that so wrong?

They are in love.

She was abused as a child. It's not her fault.

You don't know her. She's a really great person.

She was set up.

It was his fault. He persued her.

Centrist 6 years, 7 months ago

If you're paying peanuts, you'll get monkeys ..

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

"Dont you all think maybe , just maybe the 15 year old boy has been a willing participant? Why does she have to be a sick child molester, if they had a 'relationship'?"

I really, really feel sorry for her. Healthy people don't do stuff like this.

Termcd4 6 years, 7 months ago

CindiCat 6 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I agree that she is sick.

Since she violated the court order, is she sitting in JAIL NOW while she waits for sentencing?

That is where she belongs as far as I am concerned.

Or, as some other "posters" write with circumstances as this.........put her UNDER THE JAIL.

Agnostick 6 years, 7 months ago

"How she ever got into the school system as a teacher, should be looked into."

The better teachers with the better skills and the better qualifications and the higher standards? They logically go where the pay is better.

Kansas teacher salaries rank 41st of the 50 states.

These things tend to happen when you go with the "lowest bidder," so to speak.

As far as Kane goes, don't waste time on "rehab" or anything like that. Once a molestor, always a molestor. Extermination is the only way.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com http://www.uscentrist.org

Vince2909 6 years, 7 months ago

there goes any chance of probation...going to prison for sure now!!

plumberscrack 6 years, 7 months ago

She obviously is one sick puppy!

How she ever got into the school system as a teacher, should be looked into. We don't need any child molesters teaching our kids!

CardsFan 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh no, not a another Mary Kay in the making. All we need is her to get preggers now

Marion Lynn 6 years, 7 months ago

True love will always triumph in the end, don't you know?

;)

just_thinking 6 years, 7 months ago

when will she ever learn the difference between right and wrong /// yes and no??????????