LJWorld.com weblogs The Yellow Tape

Accident numbers piling up along Sixth Street

There have been several nasty accidents in the city over the last four months, many of them along Sixth Street.This morning - another.Around 1:30 a.m. Thursday, there was a [two-vehicle rollover crash on Sixth Street][1], between Schwarz Road and Crestline Drive.On Aug. 5, [three teenagers were injured][2] after one car swerved to miss another car, hit a drainage culvert and rolled several times. This one happened on Sixth Street between Stoneridge Drive and Queens Road. One girl is in serious condition at a Kansas City hospital.On July 12, [a man was killed on Sixth Street][3], after pulling his mo-ped out in front of a city bus, near Arkansas Street.On June 19, police said a man fleeing his home caused a [four-car crash on Sixth Street][4], near Frontier Road. He ended up in a Kansas City trauma center.On May 4, a 60-year-old man was killed in a [hit-and-run accident on Sixth Street][5], east of Kasold.Two deaths. Two serious injuries.We haven't learned the circumstances of this morning's accident, but it seems carelessness can be credited for many of the others.I often drive Sixth Street. After seeing the pictures of the nasty wrecks, it's made me a little more cautious when driving.What have you noticed while driving? Are others driving more aggressively? Are you?
[View Larger Map][6] [1]: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/aug... [2]: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/aug... [3]: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/jul... [4]: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/jun... [5]: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/may... [6]: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117072626361034087270.0004546e1eac61f0b7146&ll=38.972355,-95.286484&spn=0.04671,0.072956&z=13&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left

Comments

HootyWho 5 years, 8 months ago

I lived in New Jersey for a couple of years, traffic there was living hell, i've never seen anything around here to compare it to, not even rush hour in KCbut they did some things out there that would be helpful around here,You couldn't make a left turn on any major highway, they used Turn Arounds, they were usually spaced about every 2 miles, it was a pain to drive past a store then find a Turn Around and drive back, but traffic flowed better, and during peak hours, you couldn't make left turns on any city street, i saw a few accidents, but not many, 6th street, 23rd street and Iowa street come to mind hereand they got rid of the Ridgeview Roundabout, after moving back to Lawrence, i found an article in Reader's Digest about the 10 most congested intersections in the US, Ridgeview was on the list,, It was being removed when i left Jersey.

KU_cynic 5 years, 8 months ago

Every accident is uniquely tragic, but in my eyes the biggest problem with 6th Street is left turns, both off 6th Street into business addresses and from these addresses left onto 6th St. Even when there is a center turn lane available it is often misused or abused. The root cause is typical for such a street: far too many curb cuts creating risky opportunities for cars to enter and leave fast moving heavy traffic. My preferred route from west Lawrence into downtown is 9th Street. My apologies to the homeowners and parents of school children along this route, but my blood pressure stays much lower compared to 6th Street.

hairshoptalk 5 years, 8 months ago

no one is a perfect driver and the problem on 6th st. isn't bad driving but more traffic equaling more wreaks. 6th st is developing making it one of Lawrence main roads there are bound to be more accidents.

sjschlag 5 years, 8 months ago

Lawrence residents are some of the worst drivers I have ever had to deal with. No where is traffic heavier than on Iowa, 23rd, 31st and 6th streets. In no other city have I encountered people driving 5-20 mph UNDER the speed limit. The other day I was driving to work on Iowa and traffic was moving at 20 mph! in a 45! I have never seen so many rude drivers, cutting people off, pulling out in front of vehicles and just not paying attention to where they are going. You think driving a car in lawrence is bad- try driving a truck or a bus! I have seen some of the worst behavior out of drivers while behind the wheel of a bus- people will pull around you on a 2-lane road- even when you are moving. People will make a right turn around the bus, before you have a chance to pull away from the stop. I've been cut off, tail gated, you name it. When I try to make a lane change, people speed up to get around me-usually have to wait for traffic to clear. It's true, nobody really likes being stuck behind the semi or the bus, but please show these big vehicles some courtesy.

terrapin2 5 years, 8 months ago

The rest of you can stay on 6th Street and leave 9th Street wide open for me! I'd rather go 5 mph slower on 9th Street and maintain my sanity! TGF9th Street!

thebigspoon 5 years, 8 months ago

At this time of year when students are arriving back in town, watchout! Drive defensively or else you will be a accident statistic for sure. They are all on their cell phones, driving too fast and don't have any idea of what they are doing.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 8 months ago

I am driving less aggressively with less speed, taking my time at lights, being more aware of others around me. It is scary indeed and makes me once again aware of how quickly our lives can change. Let's hope the victims from the accidents recover quickly and friends and family of the deceased find some peace, hope and healing in their lives soon.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

6th... 6th... 6th... ith a thign of th' Apocalypth!

David Lignell 5 years, 8 months ago

Agree with Guardian...It's 6th Street. What don't we understand? It's a busy, bustling thoroughfare, eh? Obey the traffic laws and the odds say you'll be safe. Rush out of a liquer store parking lot in front of a bus and...oops... (Not trying to "blame the victim" here, but let's review the facts and then discuss the outcome.)Watch out for the other drivers; drive defensively; take it slowly; etc., and you'll arrive safely. End of story.

thebcman 5 years, 8 months ago

where's the dude that always says "Finish the SLT -- that'll solve your problem!"Hey, Wake up, Dude !Dude?

StreetView 5 years, 8 months ago

tip No.1, how to avoid a wreck stay away from vehicles with DG county tags.

windell 5 years, 8 months ago

Ban all driving on 6th.....

Curtis Lange 5 years, 8 months ago

I wouldn't say people are driving more aggresive. I would say, though, that people are displaying a serious disregard for the rules of the road in recent years.

Confrontation 5 years, 8 months ago

You don't have to drive like an idiot to be hit by one. This town is full of them. It won't be long before a commish of them decide to ban Sixth Street.

Jim Phillips 5 years, 8 months ago

Perhaps people should recall traffic laws are in place for a reason and are not to be followed only when there is a cop around. If you drive like an idiot, it won't be long before you're proven to be one.

tvc 5 years, 8 months ago

My car insurance went up when I moved near 6th street.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 8 months ago

And the number of wrecks on 6th Street this year as opposed to last year ...?Sigh.