Archive for Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mo-ped fatality closes Sixth Street

A mo-ped and T Bus were involved in fatal accident Saturday afternoon. Audio interviews are with Casey Lee, a Lawrence resident who was riding the bus when the accident occurred and Mike Sweeten, general manager of the T.

July 12, 2008, 5:50 p.m. Updated July 12, 2008, 8:54 p.m.

Mo-ped fatality closes Sixth Street

A 66-year-old man is dead this Saturday following a collision between his scooter and a city bus. Enlarge video

Lawrence police and paramedics work the scene of a fatality accident near Sixth and Arkansas streets Saturday afternoon. A moped driver was killed in a collision with a T bus around 5 p.m.

A 66-year-old Lawrence man was killed Saturday after his mo-ped collided with a city T bus near Sixth and Arkansas streets.

The man was leaving a business on the south side of the road and attempting to turn west on Sixth Street when he was struck by the front end of the bus, Lawrence Police Sgt. Randy Roberts said. The accident occurred at 5:15 p.m.

Casey Lee, a Lawrence resident who was riding the bus when the accident occurred, said the man pulled out from the driveway near Ray's Liquor Warehouse, 1215 W. Sixth St.

"He didn't look at the bus driver really, coming forward," Lee said. The driver "just couldn't stop in time and hit him."

It was unclear Saturday whether alcohol was a factor, Roberts said, and the incident remains under investigation. Roberts said more information would be available Monday. He did not release either the mo-ped or the bus drivers' names, but said the bus driver is a 33-year-old Lawrence resident.

Marguerite Risley was driving east on Sixth Street when the accident occurred. She said she passed the mo-ped driver before he moved from the drive onto Sixth Street. She said she saw the accident in her rearview mirror and called 911.

"I honestly thought that he had on a helmet, but then I saw his hat," she said at the scene, pointing to a cap in the street near the bus. "See, his hat on the street. I guess that's all he had on."

Roberts confirmed that the mo-ped driver was not wearing a helmet.

Mike Sweeten, general manager of the T, responded to the scene after the accident.

"This is by far the most serious accident that we have been involved in," he said.

Sweeten said T drivers go through an extensive training program and learn defensive driving skills. He said they learn to always be scanning the roadway ahead and to watch for traffic well down the road.

"From what I can understand from the police at this point, there were several witnesses that said the person on the mo-ped just pulled out so fast in front of the bus that there wasn't really anything he could do," Sweeten said.

Sweeten said the bus driver has been with the transit system for some time and is a "very solid driver."

At least eight people, including one child, were on the bus at the time of the accident, Roberts said.

Comments

kusp8 6 years, 12 months ago

Nope, the one that said "Governor getting divorce" was the worst, mainly because it inferred it was Sebilious.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 12 months ago

not driving around 2500 lb deathtraps around for tragedies.---just lame. "deathtrap?" just lame. ***for a significant amount of time after this last update, the ljworld said this page was "not found" when i clicked on the link.

yellowhouse 6 years, 12 months ago

Ya, well maybe you need to be more careful what you write cause I can tell you from experience, just clicking suggest removal will not get the comment removed.That is the one thing I hate about the comments here is that they cannot be deleted or changed when you change your mind about posting them or make a spelling mistake.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 12 months ago

and life can end so suddenly. at least we had a few days in there without anyone dyin'! they say that locomotive engineers usually have nightmares after hitting someone on the tracks...probably holds true for bus drivers who couldn't avoid hitting someone on a moped.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 12 months ago

"Wow! I am sure that is great comfort to his family and friends, your personal gratitude for his choice of transportation.""Except he probably would have survived the accident driving a Suburban."Obviously, you have no appreciation (or jonas the "capacity to feel") for the laws of physics, or for the well-being of those riding the bus and other vehicles in the vicinity. But you all usually do have fairly superficial views of everything.

RiverCityConservative 6 years, 11 months ago

"up on campus where some students step off the curb right in front of busses, they think that they have the right of way "They DO have the right of way. Pedestrians have the right of way by law in every case. Traffic is limited on campus precisely so as to provide yet an additional buffer of protection because students are likely to have a lot on their minds as they are walking across campus. This is a sacred trust that any KU alumnus ought to recall with nostalgia. It is a wonderful tradition that cars and buses allowed onto campus brake immediately for any student entering the street at any point. Rock chalk Jayhawks Go K.U.!

di_2008 6 years, 12 months ago

I was there. I was less then a foot away when it happened. I am so shook up right now. The guy on the moped pulled out of Ray's liquor store right in front of the bus, the bus slammed his brakes and attepted to skid to a stop while swirving out of the way but he couldn't stop in time. It was terrible. I pray for the both drivers and their families.

murphy43 6 years, 12 months ago

I think people need to think about what they are writing before doing so. I read comments on many stories. Alot of the comments are very negitave. Think about if the story was about you. How would you feel seeing all the rude comments made. Might make you think twice before writing.Good Day

KU_Girl_0587 6 years, 12 months ago

its surprising that nothing like this has happened up on campus where some students step off the curb right in front of busses, they think that they have the right of way but when a bus is coming down the road they wont be able to stop in time. I rode the bus for a few years on campus and there were many times when a driver had to stop suddenly because a student wasnt paying attention and walked out in front of it. Also bike riders on campus weave in and out of the busses as they are driving, there needs to be tickets given out in cases like this to prevent future accidents.Also, one day I was walking on a sidewalk headed towards campus and a moped drove by me on the sidewalk and swerved to not hit me, it jumped the curb to get on the street lost control and ran into the front of a car. The driver of the moped flew up onto the hood of the car and then slid off...Luckily both drivers were ok but this could have also turned out bad. I guess what I am trying to get say is watch out for yourself and those around you and if you drive a moped please watch carefully becuase you may not always be seen.

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

Bluerose is correct and I have clicked the "Suggest Removal" next to my post. Feel free to do the same.

beerdrinkingfool 6 years, 12 months ago

Sagecasey 6 years, 12 months ago

kufresh,Were you on the "T" on your way home?

notajayhawk 6 years, 12 months ago

sjschlag (Anonymous) says: "Safe driving practices like this will prevent further accidents like this from happening, and save lives."Cut down on them, certainly, but not totally eliminate them. That's why they're called 'accidents.' Suggesting the driver(s) in an accident may not have been paying attention isn't very far from assuming they were impaired. Maybe the driver of the moped was momentarily blinded by the sun, as was the case in my own last accident. Maybe he had a sudden and unforseen heart attack, as was the case in my grandfather's final accident. Maybe there was a large vehicle parked in his line of sight and he just didn't see the bus coming until he was in front of it. The only thing we do know is a man died tragically, and maybe people should stop blaming him for his own demise until a few more facts come out.

RiverCityConservative 6 years, 11 months ago

The pedestrian's right of way is implicit and inherent and is supported by the very evidence you have cited. Nice try. And it has been a pleasure exchanging niceties with you. Please drive carefully, and know that will be easier if you remember to respect the right of way. :)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 11 months ago

So, nota, do you and BG have a contest to see who can be more hysterical?It's a tie so far, so why don't each of you take one more stab at it, and I'll let you know who the winner is. (Prizes galore, so work yourself up into a real frenzy before your next tirade.)

rcr 6 years, 12 months ago

beerdrinkingfoolYour comments should have been kept to yourself. I'm sure family and friends would find your comments to be disgusting. I know I did and I didn't even know the man.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 12 months ago

Ramsfield: "'And, BTW, this man was an Animal.' ,,,and you are a know-it-all moron."Well, I know what I know ( ... and what I don't ). Ramsfield: "Now youre quoting rap??? LOL!! Have fun living in your parents basement, loser."It's becoming increasingly clear that you lack a context for interpreting my posts. BTW, the "rap" lyrics I posted were those of Chicago, circa 1969.BTW, I have not lived with my parents for many decades, now.How long have you been out of the "basement?"

di_2008 6 years, 12 months ago

Anger...Guilt....Frustration...I know the bus driver from riding on his bus at least 3 times a week and he's a really nice guy. He doesn't deserve this and yet it is something he is going to have to deal with in his own way. I don't think banning anything is the answer, I think the answer is in people actually observing the traffic laws and paying attention to what is going on around them when they are driving. The guy on the moped litarally pulled out right in front of the bus and (per laws of physics) a big bus is NOT going to have time to stop, even while swirving. IF the moped driver had paid any kind of attention this and accidents like this would not happen. Such as when I was crossing Michigan at 6th street and some lady not paying attention smacked right into me even though I had the right of way.

graylanternlizard 6 years, 12 months ago

This should be a huge front page post. Why is it buried in the webpage?

notajayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "BTW, it's a well-established fact that it's much safer for someone with an impairment that interferes with the ability to operate a vehicle to let someone else do the driving. Perhaps on a bus? They do come with drivers, last time I checked."Ah, boohoozo, just one of the many problems with your pathetic attempts to make your earlier comments look less foolish - good luck with that, by the way - is that the 'impairments' most people have been talking about here are momentary, unforseeable, and unavoidable. Which would make busdrivers subject to them, too.So I guess, according to boohoozo, none of us should ever drive - or ride the bus, or a train, or a plane, or anything operated by humans - because one never knows when one might become 'impaired.' By the way, boohoozo, we certainly hope you're just on the bus, not driving one, since I'm pretty sure mental defects would be considered 'impairment.'

RiverCityConservative 6 years, 12 months ago

My driver's education teacher at Harrison Junior High years ago in Great Bend [John Keller] taught us to drive "defensively," always ready for something unexpected that might happen. For me, this still means I drive more slowly than most people and I am always vigilantly checking my field of vision forwards, to the side view, and to the rear view. I am not suggesting that the bus driver didn't do this, but I am much less inclined than some to infer from the sketchy details thus far known that mopeds or bicycles or pedestrians ought to be more wary or that people in larger vehicles "own the road." As I recall, the pedestrian "always has the right of way." Always. I know a moped is also a moving vehicle, but I trust the gist of my statement is understood clearly enough. Why not slow down a little in order to see things more in advance?

KU_Girl_0587 6 years, 12 months ago

This was not the T that I rode it was the KU buses

BlackVelvet 6 years, 11 months ago

Actually, the "entire campus" is NOT considered a crosswalk. Every street on campus with the exception of the drive leading directly up to the chancellor's house is a CITY STREET, and subject to Kansas laws and city ordiances. Crosswalks are placed in many locations on Jayhawk blvd, but students just step right out in front of cars anyway. I'm amazed there aren't a lot of them hit. They do not have a right to just walk wherever they please, contrary to what many of them think.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 12 months ago

Poor driver.Even though he may not be charged with anything the DOT investigation will rule this an "avoidable accident" and for insurance reasons he will never drive a commercial vehicle again.His best offer from MV (only the second fatality in their history) may be a desk job.

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

Not to pick at nits, but "Mo-ped fatality closes Sixth Street?" A man was killed and the headline is still about the vehicle? A simple "Fatal Accident Closes 6th Street" is all that is required.bennyoates (Anonymous) says:"Especially because some message boarders abuse their rights in cases of tragic stories like this and the Jana Mackey case. It does seem as though some of the usual crowd of "T" haters have shown some restraint here, seeing that one of the public buses was involved. Thank goodness for small favors."Thanks for throwing the Jana Mackey fuel on the fire, that is classy and your cheap shots are sure to help. And there is no need to thank the restraint of those who oppose the empTy from stooping to your level. We have principled arguments for our opposition like it is a waste of money serving to few people and empTy buses are ecologically unsound, and have no need to exploit this tragic story.just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "I'm sorry this man died, but I'm grateful he was riding a moped, and not driving a Suburban."Wow! I am sure that is great comfort to his family and friends, your personal gratitude for his choice of transportation.

LadyJ 6 years, 12 months ago

"so when you have someone die dont make fun of how they died"And your comments were better? Maybe you should put down the beer. Condolences to the family and bus driver.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 12 months ago

"so you were there coming out of the store and you talked to him 5 min before he died to say that ?"Anyone who pulls out in front of a bus, or any other moving vehicle, is either suicidal, or too impaired to drive. Whether it was suicide or due to an (undisclosed in this article) impairment, I don't know.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm reminded of so-called "frappe" parties (from the French), thrown to celebrate the lives of skydivers, lost in freefall.Frappe parties... to eat and drink and reminisce... and laugh... to celebrate the lives and the spirit which carried them into the heavens in the first place... not to mourn or dwell on a "loss" which might then preclude subsequent flights.We are all, in some measure, "skydivers," falling through that little bit of sky which greets us each time we leave our sanctuary, if only to mount a mo-ped and fly for a bit down the street.

mom_of_three 6 years, 12 months ago

I feel bad for the bus driver and all the witnesses, as well as the deceased person. I know the witnesses will have a lot to live with. My middle child witnessed a child getting hit by a car when she was in grade school. Even though no one was seriously injured, she had problems sleeping. I can't imagine a situation like this.

GoldenRule 6 years, 12 months ago

God Bless everyone involved. I can not believe the way some people are speaking of this, a man just lost his life. You all should be ashamed!

trvlronda 6 years, 12 months ago

How sad. A combination of factors all came together and ended with a death. I ride a scooter and I have also been hit on 6th street, but i was wearing a helmet. My accident involved a young driver--probably talking on her cell phone --running a VERY red light. In my case, the accident would have been alot worse in a vehicle because I would have been T-boned in a vehicle, but instead, I was able to ditch the scooter to avoid more serious injury. People need to watch what they are doing--everyone pays for the roads and everyone has a right to the road. (don't even get me started on our sidewalk issues) Just because you have a license does not make you a good driver. PAY ATTENTION! Accidents do happen, but most crashes can be avoided.My condolences to the family.

twaldaisy 6 years, 12 months ago

Very tragic. I saw this and was hoping the person on the ground was just unconscious. Then saw the medics putting the sheet over the body.

hawkfan24 6 years, 12 months ago

Hey clear skies, the cashier at the gas station told one person you just plastered it all over the web, maybe you should keep your mouth shut and leave it up to the authorities.I do feel for all the parties involved but instead of laughing at the title of a story why not talk about the fact that the guy did not have a helmet on. If he did then we may not be having this discussion right now.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

rules for pedestrians : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :Geez... I hope the list for loiterers is shorter.

sunflower1990 6 years, 12 months ago

Clearskies, you just spread that rumor so much more than your friend at the gas station. and doc1; really? i'm sure that a giant ford suv or pick-up truck would have had the same impact on the moped driver.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 12 months ago

"Impairment" can include many things, some temporary and self-inflicted, others not. If you wish to read into that an implication that he was drunk, that's your reading, not my intent."all the while praising his "eco friendly" planet saving mode of transportation and condemnation of safer larger vehicles"I didn't make any comment on his vehicle other than to note the basic physics involved. While a larger vehicle might have saved his life, it very well could have cost others theirs. Them's just the facts.

yellowhouse 6 years, 12 months ago

So does anybody know who it was that was killed? I have a lot of friends riding around on mo-peds, I am very worried now!

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

svengalli (Anonymous) says:"Sigmund: posts are removed for a violation of TOS, not for being idiotic or being socially inappropriate Hence your 3,500."LOL! In the future please feel free to point those out!

lance1jhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

I am shocked and appaled... That someone was actually riding the T!

doc1 6 years, 12 months ago

Warning: Another dumb post coming.You gotta watch those T-Buses, they can just jump right outta nowhere

notajayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

And keep on imagining it's just a case of me and gnome picking on you, boohoozo. A quick glance ought to show you that there were several other people who mentioned your post as inappropriate. But by all means keep defending it - I'm sure we all expected nothing less.

toughangel41 6 years, 12 months ago

Beerdrinkingfool that comment was uncalled for how rude and disgusting you are. You should be proud you live up to your name "FOOL" I'm glad they removed it I didn't get to the "suggest removal" button someone beat me to it. Thank you whoever you are. My Condolences to the family and bus driver.

sjschlag 6 years, 12 months ago

I would hope that accidents like this would have the same effect on the general public as they had on me.Seeing an accident like this, or more importantly hearing it over the radio right after it happened, should remind all of us that we need to focus on driving. We need to take our attention off of our cellular phones, slow down, and keep our eyes on the road. This goes for everyone. Even pedestrians. It doesn't matter if you have the right of way, you need to be watching every vehicle that you can reasonably see, and double checking to make sure that they aren't moving in any way that might create a hazard. Safe driving practices like this will prevent further accidents like this from happening, and save lives.

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

Moped killed, bus is called a vehicle of interest.

George_Braziller 6 years, 12 months ago

Sorry cds but I don't get what point you're trying to make. Is it about alcohol, people who shouldn't be driving, elderly people who shouldn't be driving, the T, bikes, or mopeds? You're throwing them all together into one jumbled post.

ksmax 6 years, 12 months ago

I was thinking the same thing....what in the heck kind of headline is that?? Good Grief!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 12 months ago

XD40-- sorry, I missed it. I'll pay more attention next time, although I will point out it wasn't merely one fire that precipitated the ban on fireworks.

Luxor 6 years, 12 months ago

It may be the worst headline of all time.

MrMister 6 years, 11 months ago

Pedestrians have the right of way by law in every case."Completely false. If a pedestrian jumps out in front of a moving car, giving the driver no time to react, it is the pedestrians fault. A pedestrian does not have the "right" to impede traffic at will. Anyone who has read the driver's handbook would That is true except in the area between the guard shacks on campus. The entire street between the booths on campus is considered a crosswalk. One of my co-workers was threatened with a ticket for parking in a cross walk while making a delivery on campus for that reason. Even though he was nowhere near the painted crosswalk.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 11 months ago

And parking in a crosswalk is illegal, not just on campus.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

• is that the 'impairments' most people have been talking about here are momentary, unforseeable, and unavoidable. Which would make busdrivers subjectto them, too.---notawhy thanks Notajayhawk! again bonzo is trying to rationalize his earlier deeply offensive posts! glad the guy was driving a moped instead of a suburban, for example. indeed, bonzo completely missed my point. usually someone with a low sugar condition doesn't realize it! it impairs their judgment! thus, they couldn't decide to get on bonzo's bus for safety because they were not in their right minds! but, of course, bonzo has been out of his/hers/its for a very long time! and, you are correct, I was using that example to identify an unexpected or sudden problem. moped-man could have gotten on his scooter/moped/segway and then his sugar dropped below 40. strokes often are sudden and without warning*! what if moped-man got on, was headed for the street where he expected to stop, and couldn't because of a stroke? really, I've said this about bonzo before:a mind is a terrible thing to waste, but bonzo isn't wasting much.

notajayhawk 6 years, 12 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "I'm sorry this man died, but I'm grateful he was riding a moped, and not driving a Suburban."Except he probably would have survived the accident driving a Suburban.Strange how people freak out over, as one poster above put it, 'T-haters' using a story like this as a forum, but when people use the tragedy to further their own ideological like "it would have apparently been better if this moped rider had taken the bus" or "I'm grateful he was riding a moped, and not driving a Suburban," that's apparently okay.****ClearSkies (Caitlin B) says: "Whether that is true or not, I really think that cashier should have left it to the authorities, instead of spreading what could be false rumors."So you posted the same information to a newspaper's public website??????????????***I would also like to add my condolences to this man's family, and my best wishes for the bus driver, who is most likely going through h** right now.

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "Anyone who pulls out in front of a bus, or any other moving vehicle, is either suicidal, or too impaired to drive."You are offering a false choice, one or the other, ignoring other explanations. He could have merely been momentarily distracted, could have misjudged the speed of the bus, been worried about his job, his family, or a friend. Implying he was either drunk or suicidal all the while praising his "eco friendly" planet saving mode of transportation and condemnation of safer larger vehicles which would have allowed the man to survive his single mistake is disgusting.

bluerose 6 years, 12 months ago

completely heartbreaking.please don't try to be funny. you're not.

Boeing 6 years, 12 months ago

bluerose - it's really horrible, I think we all agree. But the headline WAS funny.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 12 months ago

nota and siggy,we can always count on the gentle loving care of Bozo-on-the-wrong-bus he's always so compassionate and thoughtful [insert gagging sound effect]. indeed, if moped-man had been in a ford f150, a ford fairlane, he'd probably be alive today, the bus would be in worse shape. I too wondered if moped-man had been imbibing, but always kept in my mind the realistic possibility that: *he hadn't touched the stuff; he'd bought chips at that liquor store; he hadn't even been in the liquor store, having pulled in to munch his bk-double wopper with cheese there; etc. I am saddened that posters are applying their agendas here to this tragedy: pro-T; anti-T; calling opposition to the T "haters;" get mopeds/bikes off the road; get big vehicles off the road "deathtraps."
besides considering the busdriver, the family of the man who has died, also remember the police who have to handle and observe absolutely horrific scenes as a part of their work. they had to stand out there and head-off traffic on 6th, and you bet, every driver was loving and curteous, friendly, to them! yeah right. one man's life is changed forever, another's is ended in the blink of an eye. if this comment thread has any purpose, let it be expressing concern for them, their families. stop the agendas.

notajayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "So, nota, do you and BG have a contest to see who can be more hysterical?"It's a tie so far, so why don't each of you take one more stab at it, and I'll let you know who the winner is. (Prizes galore, so work yourself up into a real frenzy before your next tirade.)"Well, at least boohoozo's getting better - that's about the first post he's made to this thread without finding a way to insult the victim.******logicsound04 (Anonymous) says:"LJWorld,"You should take a page from the KC Star and only make commenting available on certain stories."I have read a great number of the comments on here and I cannot believe the number of people on all sides of so many issues that have no common sense or restraint."A man lost his life and another man must deal with unintentionally killing someone. The only comments that are appropriate here are those offering their condolences about the tragedy..."So - why did you post this one?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 11 months ago

"And keep on imagining it's just a case of me and gnome picking on you"Believe me, I don't take your hysterical rantings as "picking on me." I see them as entertaining displays from true comic geniuses. How do guys come up with this stuff, nota? Do you have a bevy of writers on staff?

ratstar 6 years, 12 months ago

you've never heard of a "vehicle fatality"? glad you're able to laugh about it

notajayhawk 6 years, 12 months ago

murphy43 (Anonymous) says: "Think about if the story was about you. How would you feel seeing all the rude comments made."Um - okay, I'll skip the first part. And while I agree with your point, I'd also like to note that how I felt reading the comments might pale in comparison to my feelings at seeing the picture published by the award-winning LJW. Isn't it nice the photographer was able to grab a shot before those pesky firemen blocked the view. (Thank you LFD for having more decency than the LJW photo editors.)

Cait McKnelly 6 years, 12 months ago

My daughter just showed up at my house. She was waiting for that bus and was a direct witness to the accident. The police have already interviewed her. She called me on a cell from the scene and was very hysterical (understandably) and I told her to come here after the police released her as I live just three blocks away. I had to give her an Ativan to calm her down. She's laying down right now. Most people have never had to watch something like this. I feel so sorry for her and this young mans's family.

ClearSkies 6 years, 12 months ago

Someone I know went to the gas station right down the road and the cashier told him that the moped driver was drunk.Whether that is true or not, I really think that cashier should have left it to the authorities, instead of spreading what could be false rumors.My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the moped driver, and also to the driver of the T Bus. May he know that it was not his fault, and such things happen sometimes. I pray that everyone who witnessed this event may find comfort.

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

cds (Anonymous) says: "I know I'm gonna catch heat about this, but I'm going to say it anyway for you hate filled people against the T and bikes and mopeds being on the road:"Your painting with a broad brush people who oppose the empTy or those that suggest that it might be safer for those who ride bicycles to stay off busy main streets as "hate filled" is a large part of the problem you complain about.cds (Anonymous) says: "Maybe instead of complaining about them you could focus your time on something more constructive like perhaps getting drunks (don't know if he was drunk or not, but he was leaving a place that sells alchohol) and old people who maybe shouldn't be driving anymore, off the road instead (my great grandmother died in an auto accident that was 100% her fault that didn't involve a bike, moped, or T bus). Would make a whole lot more sense than the verbal vomit you are spewing."Suggesting it would be safer if bicycles ride the sidewalk of busy main four lane streets is not constructive? Spreading rumours about the sobriety of the man killed is constructive? Then adding your grandmother was not killed by the empTy and she wasn't on a moped and it was 100% her fault is not verbal vomit?ratstar (Anonymous) says:"fatal accident could mean anything" That is what the body of the story is for, details. The important thing was a man was killed and 6th Street was closed as a result, that is what headlines are for.

kufresh 6 years, 12 months ago

I know this bus driver; I talk to him often when I ride the bus, and he loves his job. He's never driven dangerously when I was on his bus, either, though some of those bus drivers do.I don't know if the comment about him being a liability for the insurance and never being able to drive a commerical vehicle is true, but that is sad if it is. But if not, I mean, I don't know about Jeremy, but I wouldn't want to drive a bus after this, anyway.And Im not sure if wearing a helmet would have prevented this man's death, but it definitely is a shame that I do not often see people on mo-peds/scooters/bikes with helmets on. I have no issue with mo-preds; I was thinking of buying one myself, but wear a helmet! It should be cause for a ticket like the no-seatbelt law.Also, I was on my way home and someone told me that the man was drunk, too. And it doesn't matter if the guy said it on LJWorld because I'm sure many people take the situation at hand--with him leaving a liquor store--and deduce from it that he was drunk. Personally, I think he might have been trying to enjoy his Saturday night and been BUYING something, not necessarily drinking it already, but people do assume.Regardless of the sidestories, a man was killed and another man was definitely very traumatized. My condolences to all parties involved.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 12 months ago

Any time someone is impaired enough to pull out in front of a bus, for whatever reason, in/on whatever kind of vehicle, they should definitely leave the driving to someone else, dontcha think? The bus is just one possible solution.

di_2008 6 years, 12 months ago

He was an older gentleman. That's all I know, I didn't know him personally.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 12 months ago

You know, we're all mortal.You'd think we would have come to terms with this by now.NOT to minimize the loss, the suffering, of familiars.Nothing can relieve this... not in the moment... not in the waves which will roll over and submerge them untold times.But this is a mystery which each of us will get to solve someday( if such a thing can be said to be "solvable" ).Some of us just get to solve the mystery before others.It is, in the truest sense, a mystery... there is no reason to draw limiting conclusions about it.We can cry.We can... sing.

mindylogan83 6 years, 12 months ago

people need to be more nicer in times like this how would u fell if it was your family and people were writing these things about u people need to bow there heads and pray that it wasnt them and bless god for what they do have and think of the people involed in this me and my family just prayed and you should all too god bless you all

Shelbyrules 6 years, 12 months ago

StopStopSomeone died there.Can we be civil and respect this moment, let the authorities figure out what happened?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 12 months ago

in the vicinity. But you all usually do have fairly superficial views of everything.you know, nota, it just hit me! ol' Bozo-on-the-wrong-bus...he must be a vehicle accident expert! you should be ashamed of yourself for challenging his obviously learned and insightful assessment, for of course he knows that the moped-man was impaired. in fact, he thinks he could've prevented this. he needs a cape and tights! you really should start showing him the massive respect he really deserves![end of sarcasm]---actually, very well said nota. its also possible he had temporary blindness, or that moped-man had a medication problem, just to add a couple more examples. it amazes me how quickly the posters resort to blaming the poor guy who died!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

XD40:bozo: I guess irony doesn't work with you.no, bozo-on-the-wrong-bus seems incapable of humor at all. also, seems incapable of many other human emotions. he/she/it should be captured, and held in captivity for study at the natural history museum. *you are correct Siggy,boozo's ref that he's glad that moped-man wasn't driving a suburban or whatever illustrates his cold hatred. again, worth noting, by his posts, Boozo seems to think he/she/it could've prevented this very accident. delusions of grandeur? think so. and Siggy, you are correct, boozo's willingness to judge moped-man is very sad! implying that he shouldn't have been out at all! or, earlier, should have only been riding the T! perhaps the trouble hit him suddenly, that was one of my points with examples above. maybe moped-man had a low-blood sugar condition and couldn't properly assess himself! oh, but you know, boozo knows all and if he'd only been there, he could have prevented this! that is, while tisking at the eeeeeeeeeeeevil suv's going by.

Sigmund 6 years, 12 months ago

yellowhouse (Anonymous) says: "Ya, well maybe you need to be more careful what you write cause I can tell you from experience, just clicking suggest removal will not get the comment removed."Just to be very clear my humorous comments were not directed at the rider but the headline writer, so everyone can just chill. I have over 3,500 posts on this board alone, very few of my posts have ever been removed, and I have regretted not one of them. If you were or are offended by my post making fun of the headline writer feel free to click "Suggest removal."

Sagecasey 6 years, 12 months ago

An individual just died, please show respect for the family of the victim and any others involved. Individual judgments are not up to anyone on this board.SHOW SOME RESPECT!

getrightonoutofhere 6 years, 12 months ago

Do not tell me to pray...i am sorry to hear this news. I feel for the man's family, as well as for the driver of the bus. Also, b3, some people want to be able to have clean air to breath in the future. why don't you try walking or riding a bike. Some people have a conscience. Don't blame the people who are not driving around 2500 lb deathtraps around for tragedies.

Jessica Griffith 6 years, 12 months ago

I turned onto 6th from Michigan around 5:10- after it happened but before the police showed up. From the west side all I could see was tiny little wheels under the front of the bus. At first I wondered if one of the bikes on the front of the bus had fallen off and maybe the bus had run over it. People were creeping along in the right eastbound lane still and I saw the poor mo-ped driver on the ground with his arms out and people gathered around. I noticed that he had gray hair. I'm fairly shaken up even though I didn't see the wreck happen. Once I saw it I assumed the driver didn't make it. On my way home at 6:40ish the whole block was closed and it looked like there was a red tarp where the mo-ped and driver had been, and the bus was still there. It's too bad that this happened to anyone.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 12 months ago

For all the words of reprimand regarding "disrespectful" posts in this forum, I find all the offerings of long-ago-scripted condolences to be equally distasteful. Why the repetitive reposting of all this hollow rhetoric? Is anyone really consoled by it?When I next lose someone precious, the first thing I'm going to do is consult this forum and take offense to as many non-PC posts as I can, and them I'm going to wrap myself in all the empty condolences, mount my mo-ped, sans parachute, drive to a schoolyard in a distant city and consult the youngest child I can find as to the time-to which I would expect that youngster, still looking through new eyes, to begin rapping:"Does anybody really know what time it isDoes anybody really care (about time)If so I can't imagine whyWe've all got time enough to die."Meet the new verse; same as the old verse.

trvlronda 6 years, 12 months ago

How sad. A combination of factors all came together and ended with a death. I ride a scooter and I have also been hit on 6th street, but i was wearing a helmet. My accident involved a young driver--probably talking on her cell phone --running a VERY red light. In my case, the accident would have been alot worse in a vehicle because I would have been T-boned in a vehicle, but instead, I was able to ditch the scooter to avoid more series injury. People need to watch what they are doing--everyone pays for the roads and everyone has a right to the road. (don't even get me started on our sidewalk issues) Just because you have a license does not make you a good driver. PAY ATTENTION! Accidents do happen, but most crashes could be avoided.My condolences to the family.

notajayhawk 6 years, 12 months ago

Well, boohoozo, I was wrong - you actually could sink lower. First you blame the victim of the accident for making the wrong choice on mode of transportation, now you add your particular insight that he must have been impaired.It's not worth getting kicked off for someone like you, boohoozo, but I have no doubt you've heard the words I'd love to describe you with now. Feel free to insert any of the many things I'm confident you've been called in here.

RiverCityConservative 6 years, 11 months ago

Much appreciate the link to the Kansas Drivers Handbook, which does NOT support your argument against the pedestrian's right of way. Below I have quoted several helpful passages and please keep in mind that all laws regarding driving are based on the premise that the pedestrian has the right of way. That is how we maintain a mutually respectful flow of traffic. That is why the pedestrian's inherent right of way is drilled into driver's education students' minds prior to handing over a license to a young person who obviously is going to feel special power at the wheel of so much metal. It is bizarre that anyone would try to argue against this fundamental principle and I can only hope that it is not a point of view the holder tries to apply when behind the wheel himself or herself. Please drive defensively and with the greatest regard for pedestrians, especially the very young and the very old, as well as bicyclists. Thank you.---p. 27"The driver's responsibility is greater thanthat of the pedestrian, since a motor vehicle with its greater weightand speed is much more destructive.A pedestrian sometimes does thoughtlessor foolish things. But, in spite of this,if your vehicle is under control at alltimes you should be able to avoidhitting him or her.......whether the bicyclist is operatinglawfully or not, give the rider thebenefit of the doubt. As a motoristyou should realize that the bicyclisthas the same rights and responsibilitiesas you........Motorists in Kansas should expect toencounter bicyclists on all state andlocal roadways except for the Interstatesystem....Please be considerate ofbicyclists who have rights to theroadway....When passing a bicyclistuse extreme caution and pass four feetto the left of the bicyclist."

beatrice 6 years, 12 months ago

LJWorld, not all stories warrant comments from the public. Some people don't know how to think before they type. b3, I'm sure a family and friends are heartbroken right now. You might actually know some of them. They might be your neighbors. Maybe you should think about this before you post.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 12 months ago

Judging only from the reports available, it would have apparently been better if this moped rider had taken the bus, instead.Driving a motor vehicle is a difficult task, which requires a wide variety of skills and abilities. Not all of us have them-- from my experiences, perhaps a third of the drivers on the road ought not to be, for one reason or another. I'm sorry this man died, but I'm grateful he was riding a moped, and not driving a Suburban.

di_2008 6 years, 12 months ago

Why not comments from the public? The public is your community and when something tragic happens people deserve to be able to talk about it. Isn't that one of our constitutional rights? Or did that go out the window as well?

Chris Ogle 6 years, 12 months ago

My heart goes out tothe family of the moped rider. I can only imagine what the Bus Driver is going through.... Accidents do happen. It sounds as if the bus driver could not avoid this one. I have never witnessed an MV bus driver operating a bus in a dangerous manner. Hang in there everybody.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 12 months ago

"First you blame the victim of the accident for making the wrong choice on mode of transportation, "I did no such thing-- I merely pointed out that from the information available, he was too impaired to be driving anything.

beerdrinkingfool 6 years, 12 months ago

beatrice 6 years, 12 months ago

di-2008, the opportunity to post a comment on a newspaper's website is not a constitutional right. It is a sad accident, I'm sure the driver of the bus feels terrible, and we shouldn't have to hear from the peanut gallery -- myself included. If this were someone in your family, would you want to see random people blaming your lost loved one because of his mode of transportation? Not all stories need our comments.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 12 months ago

Invariably, it seems... reprimands for words committed to whitespace.Let me offer someone else's words on all our behalves." ... I'm just a soul whose intentions are good;Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood."And, BTW, this man was an Animal.

cds 6 years, 12 months ago

b3 (Anonymous) says: These kinds of accidents are going to be happening a lot more with people trying to find alternate means of transportation. Everything but cars and motorcycles need to be banned from the streets (especially bicycles), they are to much of a risk to people driving on the roads. Just think about what the bus driver is going to have to live with for the rest of his life.___I can't even begin to express my dislike of this obvious anti bicycle post, you show a complete lack of intellegence, compassion, and can't read either. "Lee estimated that the bus was about 20 to 30 feet from the liquor store drive when the mo-ped pulled out onto Sixth Street."What the man was driving had n o t h i n g to do with this accident, I saw it, I was driving by when it happened. The man pulled out right in front of the bus, it would not have mattered what he was driving at all.

ratstar 6 years, 12 months ago

fatal accident could mean anything -- that he tripped and fell and hit his head. there's been a lot of talk recently about large vehicles versus the two-wheeled kind, so soon after the bicyclist was killed in the county.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 12 months ago

"A few years ago a non-fatal fire caused the city to ban fireworks. Will a traffic fatality finally force the city to ban the "T"?"If he had pulled out in front of a car, he would just as likely have been killed. The next time something like that happens, will you call for the city to ban cars?

RiverCityConservative 6 years, 11 months ago

Walking does not require a license. Driving does, and the items quoted from the Drivers Handbook make it clear what the rules are if you want to have the privilege of carrying a driver's license in the state of Kansas. You must respect the fundamental right of way that pedestrians have and you must drive carefully, even defensively, because no matter what a pedestrian does you are required to avoid running into him or her. One more important lesson is that driving is a privilege, NOT a right.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

"I'm guessing that those to whom sympathy would be the most relevant probably aren't reading this article."Hopefully, but not always true. Not sure about restricting commentary, but I still think they should put up some form of disclaimer. Something like:"If you are connected to the people in this article in some close fashion, beware of unfeeling and callous idiots who lack the self-restraint and self-respect that would prevent them from coldly using your tragic circumstances to fruitlessly push their own agendas."and maybe followed by another, a little lower:"No, seriously. Don't scroll down. You, hopefully retaining some smattering of humanity, have no idea how depraved it can get."

beerdrinkingfool 6 years, 12 months ago

the best part was all i said was " this is how it could look" after what you all were making fun of I thought you would like some dose if real life . sorry if that was not for you all.but I did do a job i had to pick up people after death .it is not fun so dont make fun of that .and for the most part could not do the job i quit and to let you all know i love them that can do that

InspectorJo 6 years, 12 months ago

I agree with you GoldenRule. People on this message board should not be making the comments that they have been. This is not an article to make fun of, a life was lost. I am sure that the deceased man is somebodies Grandpa, Father, Uncle, Brother, Nephew, Grandson or Husband!Leave it ALONE!

doc1 6 years, 12 months ago

another reason to shut down the empty.

cds 6 years, 12 months ago

I know I'm gonna catch heat about this, but I'm going to say it anyway for you hate filled people against the T and bikes and mopeds being on the road...Maybe instead of complaining about them you could focus your time on something more constructive like perhaps getting drunks (don't know if he was drunk or not, but he was leaving a place that sells alchohol) and old people who maybe shouldn't be driving anymore, off the road instead (my great grandmother died in an auto accident that was 100% her fault that didn't involve a bike, moped, or T bus). Would make a whole lot more sense than the verbal vomit you are spewing.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 11 months ago

"maybe moped-man had a low-blood sugar condition and couldn't properly assess himself!"I believe this would qualify him as an "impaired driver," now, wouldn't it BG? So glad you finally vented all that vitriol so that you could get around to making some sort of pertinent point-- a point which is precisely the one I made early on in this thread.BTW, it's a well-established fact that it's much safer for someone with an impairment that interferes with the ability to operate a vehicle to let someone else do the driving. Perhaps on a bus? They do come with drivers, last time I checked.

notajayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

logicsound04 (Anonymous) says: "You have no shame notajayhawk."Oh, right, your own post was somehow morally superior because you started by saying the LJW shouldn't have allowed comments - except for yours, of course.

notajayhawk 6 years, 12 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "But you all usually do have fairly superficial views of everything."Whereas boohoozo just uses a tragic accident that killed a man to stand on his soapbox and tell us the victim should have been riding the bus.At least (and surprisingly) he has the consistency - I just can't bring myself to use the word integrity, given the circumstances - to stand by his statement instead of weaseling. Or maybe he's just not bright enough to figure out he said something wrong.

Jay_Z 6 years, 12 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says:"I'm sorry this man died, but I'm grateful he was riding a moped, and not driving a Suburban."Bozo, this is probably the most idiotic post from you that I've read on this site, and that is saying something. As others have already pointed out, if the man was driving a suburban, chances are he'd be alive right now. My condolences to all of those involved in this accident.

Emmylue22 6 years, 12 months ago

I work for the T, I see that driver everyday at work. I know he would never intentionally hurt anyone or any living creature for that matter he loved driving the bus and helping people even his fellow co-workers whenever he could. What has happened is absolutely devastating for all parties involved. It's sad that people are more focused on unimportant matters the bottom line is that someone lost their life and that many more are traumatized. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone. I'm not trying to upset anybody any further than they already are I just needed to say that this is absolutely one of the worst case scenarios that I could have ever envisioned happening to someone while driving, and it could happen to anyone, or any vehicle, anytime, anywhere just this time it happened to a T-Bus driver and a man driving his moped. It was a tragic accident and I feel horrible for our driver and the man who lost his life and their families.

jonas 6 years, 12 months ago

I think it's been pretty well established that Bozo has no capacity to feel. Except for petulance, of course, and self-righteousness. But that's about it.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

logicsound04: "A man lost his life and another man must deal with unintentionally killing someone. The only comments that are appropriate here are those offering their condolences about the tragedy...."Sounds logical to me. Absolutely. In fact, I think modern technology could help us out here. Whenever a newsworthy loss of life occurs, LJW could deliver a modified comment section... radio buttons or checkboxes, whichever is more appropriate to the situation, limiting replies to selections from a predefined set.I could then check a box indicating that I wish to send my condolences to the family(ies) of victim(s) and/or check the box signifying concern for any innocent but unwitting participant(s) in the tragedy.LJW could further allow me to configure defaults for these instances, so that a comment would be generated automatically for me, with email verification, whenever such a tragic event occurs: "You have just sent condolences to the family of __, who recently met a tragic and untimely demise, as described in the following article: [link].Verified users could prepost lists of significant others, and, in the event of the untimely demise of said individuals, they could configure preferences which would autoreply to autogenerated comments of consolation: "Thank you for your kind thoughts in this difficult time, following the loss of our beloved __.Logical.Absolutely.

trishlovesdolphins 6 years, 11 months ago

To the point of "if family/friends look at these message boards" I'm a friend of someone who recently was killed, I've been checking the news sites almost daily for any news on it. I've read the "discussions" that were involved, and I was appalled. I'm even more appalled to see the same people pulling the same crap in another story about someone being killed. So, yes. I believe that the family and friends of the victim read here.I will also say, while I have sympathy for the loss and for the family, the more info I hear, the more I think that no one is to blame BUT the "victim" in this case. I don't know about drinking, but what I've read said he cut off the bus and they couldn't stop. Drinking or not, that is enough to be the cause of an accident. I'm sorry he died, but I'm more sorry for all the witnesses who saw something so terrible and the family of the deceased.

RiverCityConservative 6 years, 11 months ago

"If a child ran out into thestreet and you hit him/her, it wouldstay with you the rest of your life."I need to correct this. I reflected furtherand realize that my father actually said,"If a child ran out into the street andyou hit him/her, you wouldn't everbe able to forgive yourself."That's what I have in mind when Irefer to pedestrians always havingthe right of way. Thanks.

RiverCityConservative 6 years, 11 months ago

Let me try this one more time. The pedestrian right-of-way which is historically primary, fundamental,and implicit in rules of the road worldwide shouldbe foremost in the driver's mind at all times. Itis precisely because of the inherent and historical--some might say "sacred"--nature of this principlethat the statutes of any state must specificy (asexceptions) any special cases where a court of lawwould find in favor of the motorist and not thepedestrian. Right of way used to be determined by socialstatus, and I have a feeling that my ancestorsin Scotland and Ireland had to step aside ifthey ever met British royalty on the road. Let me tell one more of my corny anecdotes,about practicing my driving in the early1970s with my father. First of all, whileI had a restricted permit he never let meexceed 55 mph despite the fact that thelegal limits were 60, 65, and, I believe,up to 70 mph. Then, by the time I turned16 and could drive by myself, the nationallaws had officially lowered the maximum to55, which disappointed me quite a bit.We used to travel the back roads on ourway from Great Bend to Sterling or Hutchinson,going through Raymond and Alden. As thehighway goes by Alden, it takes on theappearance more of a city street, withhouses on either side, and perhaps thespeed limit goes down to 35 or 40 mph.I was driving and either neglected todecrease my speed or did not decreaseit enough to suit my father, so hetold me to slow down and he explainedto me, "If a child ran out into thestreet and you hit him/her, it wouldstay with you the rest of your life."The pedestrian has the right of way,and it is a core concept that underpinsall motor vehicle rules and regulations.It also makes good sense. Thank you fordriving safely, and I really hope therash of accidents and crimes in Lawrencetapers off very soon.