Archive for Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Suspect found in hit-and-run death

May 6, 2008

Evidence left at hit-and-run scene leads to suspect

Police say they've found the man involved in a deadly hit-and-run accident in west Lawrence over the weekend. 6News reporter Mark Boyle has more from the newsroom. Enlarge video

Family remembers hit-and-run victim

We are learning more about the life lost in this weekend's hit-and-run accident: that of Thomas Crum. Enlarge video

Police used vehicle parts gathered from the scene of Sunday's hit-and-run fatality to identify a 22-year-old suspect on Monday.

"In this particular case, there were vehicle parts ... that have identification numbers on them and through those identification numbers we were able to determine who the owner of the vehicle was and ultimately the driver," Lawrence Police Sgt. Paul Fellers said.

The 22-year-old suspect from Lawrence had not been arrested Monday night.

Thomas Crum, a 60-year-old Lawrence resident, died Sunday following the two-vehicle accident that occurred just before 2 a.m. on West Sixth Street east of Kasold Drive.

Crum was driving a 1984 Pontiac east on Sixth Street when his vehicle was struck by a gray-colored 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee headed north on Gateway Court. The driver of the Jeep left the scene of the accident.

Crum's car struck the side of the Gateway Automotive building, 534 Gateway Drive. Crum later died at a Kansas City-area hospital.

Lawrence police said they contacted the man for questioning Monday morning.

"Once the reports are completed, they'll go the district attorney's office for review and we'll go from there," Fellers said.

Crum was a Lawrence native and 1966 Lawrence High graduate, an auto enthusiast who in his younger years raced a 1965 Ford Falcon at the Lawrence Drag Strip and hung out at Don Baxter's Speed Shop.

Crum had worked at Westlake Ace Hardware, 601 Kasold Drive, for many years before stopping in December because of back and neck problems.

Friday was his 60th birthday.

"This is a big birthday for him," his son, Ryan Crum, said. "He was like, 'I only turn 60 once.'"

On Saturday night, Crum gathered with friends and his three sons at Conroy's Pub for a birthday celebration. Ryan Crum said they then convinced him to head over to Astro's, in the same plaza as Westlake, for some rounds of pool.

Crum was heading home early Sunday morning when the accident occurred.

Ryan Crum said the family was upset that the other driver left the scene.

"My dad was sitting there dying right in front of the guy, and he didn't stop to make sure he was OK," Ryan Crum said. "Whatever the courts do, he'll still have to sleep at night with that on his conscience."

6News Reporter Mark Boyle contributed to this report.

Comments

stargazer 6 years, 7 months ago

Thanks cool for the warm words. My husband and I have know Tom for about 20 yrs. He was such a great guy. Guess we wont be coming over anymore and asking "Whats for dinner? I'm starved". We were invited to his birthday party decided not to go since it was at a bar and didnt want to take the chance of driving home. He will be very much missed. Prayers to the family.

princess81 6 years, 7 months ago

My condolences to Ryan & Travis. He was a wonderful man and will be missed!

Cindy Flippo 6 years, 7 months ago

I have never been able to understand how anyone, could leave the scene of an accident. No matter what, the person you have involved deserves better than that. My prayers go out to the family of Mr Crum. Justice wont bring him back, but it might give some peace of mind that whoever the person was that hit the vehicle and left the scene will be off the streets for awhile.

Melanie Birge 6 years, 7 months ago

I knew Tom, worked with him at Lakeview Mannor. Wow I am sorry for the loss of a man who I also knew to be one of the very few good guy's left in this world. I will always remember you TOM!

stargazer 6 years, 7 months ago

oops, thats a "he" wont be coming over.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

"I have never been able to understand how anyone, could leave the scene of an accident."Absolute terror along with impaired judgment from booze might turn any of us into complete cowards. The answer: don't be driving drunk.And yes, I'm aware that there is no proof he was drunk and now that he's sobered up, I'm guessing we'll never have proof. I'm assuming that is the case since this person's driving and sense of ethics both seem to have been impaired.I'm itching to know a name. I assume LJW wasn't provided with a name?

JDenny1985 6 years, 7 months ago

OldEnuf: His name is Jake DeckertKLWN.com

Lindsey Buscher 6 years, 7 months ago

Hey geekin, your Topekan is showing. Jake is presumed innocent until proven guilty. The evidence of the case will determine his guilt and a jury of his peers will recommend his sentencing based on the facts of the case, not just his word.

Eride 6 years, 7 months ago

No, if he was intoxicated that isn't excusable just because he died but that doesn't remove the other man's culpability in his death. Or excuse the fact that the man fled the scene of the accident without rendering aid.If you are implying that it makes it perfectly acceptable to drive while under the influence, to strike another person's vehicle... killing them, and to then flea the scene of the accident because the other driver is also intoxicated... I think your logic may be severely flawed.

opininated 6 years, 7 months ago

alm77 6 years, 7 months ago

OldE, I'm assuming the LJW is handling it this way because according to my internet search the kid was a hometown boy, born and raised. This is a tragedy for both the family of Mr. Crum and the suspect. My sympathies go out to both families.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 7 months ago

rammy... sorry... you actually dropped two...

Eride 6 years, 7 months ago

Peachesncream, people run from an accident when they have something to hide. He collided with another car which ended up with the other driver dying and he fled the scene. Why should anyone give him the benefit of the doubt? If he wanted that he wouldn't of fled the scene of the accident. As it is, he didn't even turn himself in, he waited for the cops to bring him in. This idiot was even joking around on his facebook page like it was no big deal. Opininated, her post implied they had been hanging out all night so for all we know she was with him when he hit Crum's vehicle. Either way, I severely doubt that she didn't know how his car got damaged....

junkhand 6 years, 7 months ago

my poorly constructed point is that i'd like to see all the facts before i make any judgements

opininated 6 years, 7 months ago

Eride- do you think the girl only heard he was in an accident and that's why she asked if his car was o.k, You dont know that she knew what accident he was involved in.

ralphralph 6 years, 7 months ago

"...knowing that you have probably thrown it all away with one terrible unfortunate mistake."More likely it was just the most recent of a long string of mistakes, and the odds caught up with him. Darn the math!

alm77 6 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, computer crashed, that should say "both the family of Mr. Crum and the family of the suspect."

alm77 6 years, 7 months ago

Ttown, you are correct. I had misread that. All apologies. Still, that doesn't mean he won't be socially crucified here or there.

TtownKUlivin 6 years, 7 months ago

This is no local kid. His residency is probably registered as being in Lawrence, but he is from Larned which is 2 and a half hours West and only moved to Lawrence for college. There has to be details that are still being sorted out for this guy not to be arrested..I'm wondering if Crum was over the legal limit? Either way, I hope both of the families dealing with this tragedy find some sort of peace and harmony.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 7 months ago

"...he is not a 22-year old MAN, he is a college KID"***Uh, no. He is a man who made the decision to leave the scene of a horrible accident and you are right.There is no evidence of alcohol being involved other than the testamony of Jake himself.As it has been engineered by Jake and fleeing the scene of the death proves that.Do you think he will do the right thing?I doubt it. So far he has proven that he has no intention of accepting responsibility to his victim.He deleted his facebook page indicating his hollow attempts to cover his tracks,made the police investigate him on the remote chance that they couldn't trace his vehicle.No,these are premeditated actions made by a rational and clear thinking man,dumb,but a man.I dont doubt that his world is a living hell right now.But apparently his pain lies with his own uncertain future rather than his victim's pain and family's loss.That is how I see it and I realize that I know only a little.

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

junkhand (Anonymous) says:"so what if the deceased individuals BAC was 3 times the legal limit (i made that up). would that affect your opinion?"Nope, not in the least, even IF he was partially at fault. The driver of the Silver Jeep who left the scene is not excused from slamming into another vehicle so hard it kills someone then leaving the scene, and then not reporting the accident to police. The fact that the owner of the Jeep then removed incriminating statements from his social networking page and then eventually deleted it it entirely is evidence of his consciousness of guilt and that he was the driver of his Jeep.But big deal, because he fled the scene we have no evidence of HIS blood alcohol level or other drugs at the time so he will be convicted of a misdemeanor, and if sentenced by Judge Fairchild, will be slap him on the wrist. Three months in jail served over the summer with work release so he can keep his job is little more than being grounded for the summer. Then Branson will slap us in the face with with another victim rights editorial/campaign ad. And then, as if this isn't enough, his drunk driving buddies will tell us what a "great guy" with a "big heart" who just made a "mistake" he is and we should all just lighten up and we shouldn't judge him because we aren't perfect either. Well I have made thousands of mistakes in my life, as have the others here, and all of us who never drove drunk and killed another human being and then were such a self centered worthless POS coward and fled the scene have every right to judge. After he is released from jail I SINCERELY hope the next people he kills driving drunk are confined to his buddies, his own family, certain members of the legal profession, and that he ends up in a persistent vegetative state. So no, I will NOT take it easy.

mku 6 years, 7 months ago

I think it would serve everyone's best interests if we all keep what is really important at the forefront here. Yes, Jake made a mistake, people are not perfect, and no one here knows who he is or what his reasons were for leaving. He knows he made a mistake, so why keep beating a dead horse. Its unnecessary to look him up on facebook and myspace, really what is that going to tell you? And more importantly, why does it even matter? It's an online profile that people use as a social tool for fun, you won't find any deep confessions on a facebook page, so why keep looking for this kid? I understand just like everyone else, along with Jake, that he made a mistake but lets focus on what is important. A man lost his life on Sunday morning. His family is what is important now, not the fact that some kid made a huge mistake, which can't be changed. My prayers go out to the Crum family, I'm very sorry for your loss, I just don't like to see people being attacked for mistakes they have made that cannot be reversed, let him pay for what he did without all of the comments from the peanut gallery.

Eride 6 years, 7 months ago

On Jake Deckert's facebook page there was a post from a girl telling the guy she hopes his car is alright.Nice priorities there...

alm77 6 years, 7 months ago

geekin, come on. This isn't some kid from out of town who's daddy can buy him a high priced greasy attorney and then forget about the whole thing. This is hometown guy who has to deal with it not only legally, but relationally as well. Everyone he's known or loved is thinking about this right now. I think that's a punishment in and of itself, and like I said, it's not the only punishment he's got to deal with.

LogicMan 6 years, 7 months ago

"it was an honor to have met Tom - only briefly.'me too -- he was very helpful the one time I met him at Westlake's on 6th.

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 7 months ago

rammy: Always willing to add the lowest common denominator to any conversation. Classy.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 7 months ago

i think we all are losing touch of what really needs to be said here.... to the crum family our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.and for jake, jakes family and his friends, he did not set out that night to kill someone, it was a accident and yes he ran perhaps he was scared out of his mind. we dont know what happened lets let the story come out before we start pointing fingers.... which in reality in a accident there should be no finger pointing ..... there are many ppl here greiving the loss of this wonderful man mr crum. lets let them read positive thoughts from us to help them deal with this tragic loss.........

Lindsey Buscher 6 years, 7 months ago

I empathize with all parties involved in this case, both the family of the deceased and of Jake. I can think of only one reason to flea the scene and it is not out of some malevolent premeditated plan to get off easy in Douglas County. I think we all have a really good sense of right and wrong, and that Jake is not some kind of non-feeling monster; I'd bet he knew right away that he did wrong, very wrong, and was more scared than he has ever been in his life. Fear makes people do irrational things because adrenaline takes over. Come on, he is not a 22-year old MAN, he is a college KID, possibly close to graduation, imaging being that close to graduation and knowing that you have probably thrown it all away with one terrible unfortunate mistake.Let's try to empathize with everyone in this case. I could not imagine what it would be like to lose my father. And 60 years old is not really old these days. Mr. Crum likely still had a lot of life left to live. If any of the Crum family is reading this, I am sorry for your loss. I don't usually go all "Christian" on these boards, but I can't help it in this case. The Pope once got shot, and then went to the jail cell of the man who did it, and forgave him. I always remember that story whenever I have trouble forgiving somebody.

ally 6 years, 7 months ago

You can make up any senario about what happened before the accident but the facts are a man is dead and the coward that left him to die should face the full impact of his deeds if he is guilty of killing him. I live on Gateway Court and saw his car smashed into wall and it amazes me how people run away when they did something terrible and think they will get away with it. I found his myspace page and his main picture is of him passed out in car with a unopened can of beer, i bet he regrets that picture now.....

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

hawkperchedatriverfront (Anonymous) says: "Good reason for the city commisson to have a sales tax increase on alcohol in Lawrence, since the economy is driven by it..."I'll drink to that. There is little doubt that it is the alcohol in bars and not second hand smoke that causes more batteries, assaults, injury, deaths, and damage every year. Where are all the liberals and meddling experts from the KDHE wanting to restrict our freedoms in order to protect us from the real health hazards? Busy increasing taxes on bread, milk, clothing and everything else. You get two guesses why the City would never increase the liquor tax.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 7 months ago

So from the previous hit and run involving a drunk at the wheel the general rule here in toontown is;if involved in a drunken driving accident and people are kiiled wounded or maimed your best defense is to flee and hide until you are sober and then you can expect a misdemeanor because "they" can't prove $h!t?Is that the idea?

whatupdown 6 years, 7 months ago

Good work LPD, now lets see what the DA's office will do!!

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

Puggy (Anonymous) says:"The evidence of the case will determine his guilt and a jury of his peers will recommend his sentencing based on the facts of the case, not just his word."Fortunately for this POS waste of human sticky DNA and unfortunately for the rest of us, the sentence will be the Judge's and not the jury.

Eride 6 years, 7 months ago

"I understand just like everyone else, along with Jake, that he made a mistake but lets focus on what is important. A man lost his life on Sunday morning. His family is what is important now, not the fact that some kid made a huge mistake, which can't be changed."Yes, a man lost his life. That is what everyone should focus on. A man lost his life because a drunk 22 year old MAN rammed his vehicle off the road and then fled the scene of the accident without rendering aid. This isn't just a "mistake" this mans actions killed another man. This man should be our focus because it is yet another example of an intoxicated individual taking the life of someone else and giving no effort to render aid to the individual they put in harms way.Couple this with the recent court decision from a similar incident last year and it is no wonder people (including me) are upset by this mans attitude and the attitudes of some of the posters on this forum. Acting like driving intoxicated is no big deal? Acting like killing a man is no big deal? Asinine.

tearanydawn 6 years, 7 months ago

opininated (Anonymous) says: This accident seems like it could easily of happened the other way around. In a previous entry it was said Mr. Crum was having a shot of vodka at 5:00 at Conroy's, if we want to make assumptions, one can only assume at 2:00am he was intoxicated as well. This accident was tragic, and for someone to flee the scene is unimaginable. He will have to live with his decision for the rest of his life and I only hope it ways heavy on him. Let this be a lesson for all !!! My heart goes out to the "Crum Boys."Very well said. I feel for both families and can only hope that this will make everyone think twice about drinking and driving.

iplaysupernintendo 6 years, 7 months ago

Shame on Jake Deckert. Whether he was drunk or not, he chose his actions that evening and I hope that justice is served. I hope that Mr. Crum's family can sleep a little better now that the suspect has been identified.

VTHawk 6 years, 7 months ago

This is a crappy situation all around. My prayers go out to all involved. Hopefully people will refrain from judgement until all the facts are out.

junkhand 6 years, 7 months ago

"Acting like driving intoxicated is no big deal?"so what if the deceased individuals BAC was 3 times the legal limit (i made that up). would that affect your opinion?

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

cool (Anonymous) says:"If the young guy would do that on top of his possible other service (if found guilty) then he could make huge steps toward the loss of Tom."What color is the sky in your world??Marion (Marion Lynn) says:"Siggie, I see your points and do not necessarlly disageree but let's get the guy covicted first, OK?"Sure, but first I have a few things to do. There is that Myface page I have to change with all those pictures of me getting drunk, a bit of 'Booze Cruzin' to do with my buds and the 'beotches,' helping the DA's office teach Lawrencian's how to be better more compassionate non-judgmental victims of drunk driving college students, and then that whole world piece thing I've been meaning to get sorted.

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

Increasing taxes will DECREASE consumption which is the LAST thing downtown bar owners and the city who rake in a huge amount of money off of alcohol want. No matter how much misery, death, and injury alcohol causes the rest of us it is all about the almighty buck to them. So lets all just learn to be better victims.

Loretta James 6 years, 7 months ago

RIP MY FRIENDIVE KNOW TOM FOR 55 YEARS WE LIVED ONE HOUSE APART GROWING UP I'LL MISS HIM LOTS.TO THE KIDS TIME WILL HEAL THE HURT AND THE MEMORIES WILL TAKE OVER.LORETTA FOSTER JAMES

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 7 months ago

So, it appears both parties were drinking.As the saying goes it's never a good thing to drive after you drink.Leaving the scene of an accident is no small matter. I would suggest to those of you wishing to crucify the young man that IF he did stop to render aid would YOUR comments about him still be the same as you have posted here?

dolphins4321 6 years, 7 months ago

No, he has not been arrested, waiting on the DA's office to review the case and press charges!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 7 months ago

time, maybe its what he needs? I just don't like reading about my friend on here that made some bad choices and everyone on here acts like they know him.already know enough about him. not a "mistake." he made bad choices on purpose and now a family is grieving and jake deckert must pay. it certainly is the community's business what kind of punishment this jake deckert gets. that is because we as a community should stand against drunken driving, and most of all, leaving the scene of an accident. bosox, you are indeed judged by the company you keep. how many others in your circle drink and drive regularly? how many of your friends have a cheap-and-easy view of disposable life? why don't you publish their names on here, and we can also subject them to public scrutiny and ridicule, as it might save their lives, and lives of others!

BoSoxLifer 6 years, 7 months ago

I personally have never drank then driven a vehicle so don't assume that. The sad thing is that people do it everyday. I learn from my friends mistakes. Currently I live in a college town where everyone thinks that they are invisible to this crap. I lecture and lecture but until they get caught it seems they never learn. I can honestly say that I receive at least two or three phone calls a month to come pick someone up from a party because they know I will come and get them. Unfortunately I cant babysit all of my friends. Jake didn't plan on the events to happen the way they did. Its sad that this happened and I am not defending what Jake did, I just think that "ridicule" is stupid. Unfortunately it can't be changed so what is ridicule going to do? Im just saying that just because a friend makes a stupid decision it doesnt make "my circle" bad. Hell, I love how it makes me a bad person now. Gnome, your telling me you haven't had a friend that was a nice person and made some stupid choices in his/her life? Im not saying this extreme either, but can you honestly say "your circle" is perfect? Im still trying to believe this even happened. I didn't submit these comments to become ridiculed, I submitted them hoping that someone would have some advice or something, honestly, he was the type of person that your parents loved for you to have over. He made a couple bad choices this past weekend and its really hard to know what to think whenever you see everyone writing stuff like this.

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

BoSoxLifer (Anonymous) says:"Now being on the other side, having a good friend, who is a good guy, being the suspect of this terrible crime is really tough. I know what all of you are thinking, but honestly, Jake is a great guy. He mad a terrible mistake and unfortunately it cannot be reversed."Yet another "great guy" with a "good heart" who "drives drunk" makes a "mistake" on his last "booze cruz" kills a guy then drives off without even bothering to call for help so he can avoid having his own blood tested and his vehicle searched for evidence of a felony, lecture. And just to be clear, exactly how does one get "mistakenly" get drunk and go "booze cruzin?" How does one "mistakenly" leave the scene of an accident after you kill someone? Do you for one moment believe that this was the first time he drove drunk? Were all of those "mistakes?" How many times did he make that same mistake over and over again? And now he feels bad because he killed someone or just because he got caught? I would willingly suffer eternal damnation if the devil himself promised me that you and your family are his next victim after he serves 90 days in jail. Now feel free go back to your TV shows so that your conscious and sense of morality can be further numbed by American Idol.

BoSoxLifer 6 years, 7 months ago

Sigmund, I guess I missed the article where you were in the car with Jake. Im sorry and didnt realize you can guarantee us he was all drunk. Im not an idiot though, if someone were out at two in the morning chances are he was. Yes if this is all true and Jake did it and was drunk he did a stupid thing. When Jake went out that night he didnt plan on killing anyone. Another thing, the tv shows, I meant the news. I have never had to know the "suspect" as some would say. What type of person are you to wish this onto his friends and family? It is not our choice of his punishment if he is found guilty. So if a judge that has bad judgement decides that Jake should for some odd reason be let off easy, does that mean that us as his friends deserve that? Really, step off your pedestal and realize that his friends and I do realize that this is wrong, and I will not be disappointed if he is found guilty and he serves time, maybe its what he needs? I just don't like reading about my friend on here that made some bad choices and everyone on here acts like they know him.

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

KEITHMILES05 (Anonymous) says: "I would suggest to those of you wishing to crucify the young man that IF he did stop to render aid would YOUR comments about him still be the same as you have posted here?"Nope I would NOT have the same comments, but he didn't stop or even call for an ambulance or the police, nothing. Had he stopped and if he was drunk he would be charged with a felony. I would call for leniency because his act to attempt to help would have subjected him to a bigger crime. But he fled to avoid testing and to minimize his own legal penalty even while Mr. Crum died, self centered to the point of callous disregard of the death of his victim, another human being.Because he fled the scene we have no evidence of HIS blood alcohol level or other drugs at the time (as opposed to Mr. Crum whom we can get his blood of off the pavement or from the dead body before he is buried) so he will be charged and convicted of a misdemeanor. Judge Fairchild will then slap him on the wrist, three months in jail to be served over the summer with work release so he can keep his job. Grounded for the summer for killing a human being. Then District Attorney Branson will slap us in the face with with another victim rights editorial / reelection campaign ad.As if this isn't enough, his drunk driving buddies will tell us what a "great guy" with a "big heart" who just made a "mistake." We should all just lighten up and we shouldn't judge him because we aren't perfect either. Well I have made thousands of mistakes in my life, as has everyone here, and those of us who have never drove drunk, killed another human being, and then were such a self centered worthless POS cowards that we fled the scene have every right to judge.After he is released from jail I sincerely hope the next people he kills driving drunk are confined to his buddies, his own family, certain members of the legal profession, and that he ends up in a persistent vegetative state.

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

drugcompton (Anonymous) says: "will the LJW ever actually release his name as the driver? i have yet to see that they have.why wont/haven't they?"His name will be printed when he is arrested. It is LJW policy.drugcompton (Anonymous) says: "if the victim was also drinking( basing that only on what i have read here) will the charges against suspect be reduced?"There is no comparing negligence for criminal law as there is for civil liability.drugcompton (Anonymous) says:"what is the penalty for failure to stop and render aide?"There is no affirmative duty to render aid and no penalty for failure to render aid. By leaving the driver is not subjected to blood tests and vehicle search to determine his level of intoxication. With such proof he would be charged with a felony, without it he likely will only be charged with a misdemeanor. That is why his sentence should be the maximum penalty allowed of all charges served conservatively. No probation, no parole, no breaks.drugcompton (Anonymous) says: "if "cool" bought the victim his drinks, can he somehow be held somewhat responsible?"No.Approximately 16,000 people were killed by drunk drivers in the US in 2006 (the last year I could find) and the rate of fatalities in the US are among the highest in the western world. It is an order of magnitude greater than the number of US soldiers serving in the military.

BoSoxLifer 6 years, 7 months ago

I know that everyone has there own opinion on Jake. I personally know him and heard about this all this morning. We were good friends in High School and have grown apart. I cannot say that he is the same kid that he was in High School, but he has a good heart. And no Sigmund, I am not one of his drinking buddies. All day I have just been thinking how people are going to think of him now. Did Jake do something wrong, you bet he did, I am so disappointed in him, but:.I can't believe some of the things being said on here by people that have no clue who he is. The whole facebook thing, grow up people, if you are so worried about this maybe you should worry about your own family because you never know how much time you have with them. His facebook groups, honestly?I watch all these things happen on TV and always wonder what those people were thinking. Now being on the other side, having a good friend, who is a good guy, being the suspect of this terrible crime is really tough. I know what all of you are thinking, but honestly, Jake is a great guy. He mad a terrible mistake and unfortunately it cannot be reversed. He was the friend that your parents loved because of his politeness. None of us know what to say or think, and we knew him. So why do you think you have the right to say these things?

monkeyhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Sigmund ~ can I assume that you would not be willing to represent this "great guy" that killed my friend?

dolphins4321 6 years, 7 months ago

Yes he made a huge mistake! But most importantly....he made a choice, a decision to get in his vehicle and drive when it is very obvious that he had no business driving! So many lives are affected by this! My friends lost their father in the worst way. Mr. Deckert has to live with the fact that he killed a man for the rest of his life. All I can do is pray that this opens his eyes and changes him for the better. I can't say that he is a horrible man because I don't know him, but I can still be angry at him for what he has done. Does that make me a horrible person? I don't believe that it does, and it shouldn't. People have every right to be angry at Mr. Deckert! And everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

Gabe Hoffman 6 years, 7 months ago

Wonder how many deaths are caused by someone changing the CD player, putting on makeup, reading something, talking to a passenger etc... Would each person who is so quick here to judge be just as angry, or is that an acceptable mistake. And no, I'm not excusing anything here, just simply making a point.And Sigmund, really, i'll flip it and wish that you are the next "victim" of his drunk driving since you seem to be so willing to wish death upon anyone who knows him. Horrible thing to say and karma does have a way of sneaking up on you.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 7 months ago

"He made a couple bad choices this past weekend."Yes. And also the other time he was convicted of DUI.

ckrandle53 6 years, 7 months ago

Is he ever going to be arrested? Why is this taking so long?

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

00jester (Anonymous) says: "Wonder how many deaths are caused by someone changing the CD player, putting on makeup, reading something, talking to a passenger etc: Would each person who is so quick here to judge be just as angry, or is that an acceptable mistake. And no, I'm not excusing anything here, just simply making a point."I would be just as quick to judge if the music loving makeup applying killer fled the scene and left their victim to die00jester (Anonymous) says: "And Sigmund, really, i'll flip it and wish that you are the next "victim" of his drunk driving since you seem to be so willing to wish death upon anyone who knows him. Horrible thing to say and karma does have a way of sneaking up on you."You forgot to wish them to flee the scene and leave me by the side of the road to die so as not to be held accountable.

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

BoSoxLifer (Anonymous) says: "Sigmund, I guess I missed the article where you were in the car with Jake. Im sorry and didnt realize you can guarantee us he was all drunk. Im not an idiot though, if someone were out at two in the morning chances are he was."I don't ride with drunk drivers, but I have no choice but to share the road with drunk drivers who kill people and leave them by the side of the road to die.BoSoxLifer (Anonymous) says: "Yes if this is all true and Jake did it and was drunk he did a stupid thing. When Jake went out that night he didn't plan on killing anyone."Stupid things include buying lottery tickets and sending your bank account number to Nigerian officials who wish to give you lots of money. Contrast this with killing someone and fleeing the scene to let them die in the street so you can attempt to delete your "Booze Cruzin" Myface page. See the difference? There is no real comparison. Did he plan to get drunk? Did he plan on driving? Did plan to flee the scene after he killed? Did he plan to delete his "Booze Crusin" MyFace page? Were all those just accidents? Just how far are you willing to go to defend your friend? Would you trust your family on the same road with him late on a Saturday night after he is released? Why should I? BoSoxLifer (Anonymous) says: "What type of person are you to wish this onto his friends and family? It is not our choice of his punishment if he is found guilty. So if a judge that has bad judgement decides that Jake should for some odd reason be let off easy, does that mean that us as his friends deserve that?"What kind of person are you who feel your friends future is more important the the life of another human being? You show a complete lack of perspective, it is all about you and your "Boose Crusin" buddies, isn't it?BoSoxLifer (Anonymous) says: "Really, step off your pedestal and realize that his friends and I do realize that this is wrong, and I will not be disappointed if he is found guilty and he serves time, maybe its what he needs? I just don't like reading about my friend on here that made some bad choices and everyone on here acts like they know him."It is all about what he, you, and your friends "need" isn't it? Are there other people with equal value in your world? Is that because you didn't know and didn't party with the guy who is dead? I could care less what he, you and your friends think you "need." What you need is to suffer the same fate as this man did at the hands of a "good guy" who made a "mistake" killed and then flees the scene to leave one of your friends or family to die in the road. Then perhaps you will realize that driving drunk is against the law even if you don't intend to kill someone and that fleeing the scene to leave your victim to die is morally repugnant to anyone with even a scintilla of "goodness" in their character.

Sigmund 6 years, 7 months ago

Circumstantial cases require more time to prepare. Jake knows the drill, flee the scene and keep your mouth shut even when they find parts of your Jeep all over the scene. Don't forget the DA's office recently charged a similar case as a felony, but wasn't able to get beyond a reasonable doubt with the jury because the killer fled the scene. Even on the misdemeanor convictions Judge Fairchild did little more than slap the killer on the wrist with three months in jail over the summer with work release. With the other hand judge Fairchild slap all the rest of us in the face.I am sure the LPD are attempting to identify witnesses and get statements that he was drinking that night, credit card or check card receipts for that night, his Jeep wasn't stolen or lent to others, he told friends of the accident, copies of his Myface pages, times those pages were edited, previous driving record, etc. Note to Jakes "friends" who may be hesitant about giving statements to the LPD, do you really want to share the road with him?

ksuone1 6 years, 7 months ago

ksuone1 6 years, 7 months ago

MADD really wants to save lives, it will go after the real problem drivers.The term "drunk driving" is used to describe the operation of a motor vehicle while in a state of incapacity due to alcohol or drug intoxication. The consumption of alcohol or a drug can result in reduced vision, perception, reaction, and competence. Drunk drivers kill more and more people every year.Over 80% of drivers with excess blood alcohol levels involved in fatal crashes were male.They tell their painful stories of how a drunk driver changed their lives forever. Conceivably, personalizing the pain that drinking and driving can cause will make the offender stop and think before getting behind the wheel.so really what is so nasty about this??

123 6 years, 7 months ago

i am good friends w jake now.....yes he made a mistake that he feels horible about.... but some of the coments made by this sigmund idiot are not fair.....you are proving how big of a pos you really are how bought you shut your mouth and save everybody the trouble........ my thoughts and prays go out to both familys