LJWorld.com weblogs At Whit's End

Wednesday's top stories, possible 100-degree contest winners and odd stuff I'm finding in my desk

The National Weather Service has issued three (yes, three) heat-related alerts for Douglas County. Basically, it's going to be hot. Prepare yourself.

Here are Wednesday's most-viewed stories and most-commented items in the last 24 hours:

Most-viewed stories

1. Town Talk: Compton project at Ninth and N.H. recommended for incentives; Olive Garden project less clear; longtime insurer closes Lawrence office
  2. Douglas County man transported to area hospitals after homemade firework explodes in hand
  3. Federal investigator looking into explosion that led to hospitalization of Lawrence man
  4. Fourth of July events and fireworks displays in Lawrence, Eudora, De Soto, McLouth and Ottawa
  5. Tour emphasizes Masonic Temple’s uniqueness; caterer urges city to provide incentives for development

Most-commented items

1. OTS: If you could study abroad anywhere, where would you go and why?
  2. Poll: Do you think the new regulations for Kansas abortion clinics are too strict?
  3. Town Talk: Compton project at Ninth and N.H. recommended for incentives; Olive Garden project less clear; longtime insurer closes Lawrence office
  4. Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, county officials working on new election-fraud regulations

100-Degree Day Contest

The NWS forecast predicts the temperature in Lawrence will be just shy of triple digits today, but they could be wrong. So here are those of you who are eligible to win our 100-Degree Day Contest today:

Marlo Angell 12:55 p.m.
Judy Kasson 1 p.m.
Kelsey Oyler 1:01 p.m.
Lisa Carpenter 1:08 p.m.
Lindsey Fry 1:20 p.m.
Erika Weed 1:48 p.m.
Mary Lawson 1:55 p.m.
Karen Lowder 1:59 p.m.
Jill Kim 2 p.m.
Marcus DeMon 2 p.m.
Elena Auer 2:15 p.m.
Kristen Sanders 2:30 p.m.
Debbie Sack 2:45 p.m.
Paula Shaver 3 p.m.
Jeff Goodrick 3 p.m.
Julie Hansen 3:01 p.m.
Sarah Dinges 3:03 p.m.
Tina Tourtillott 3:12 p.m.
Lois Weldon 3:18 p.m.
Lisa Rasor 3:30 p.m.
Stacy Riggins 3:40 p.m.
Joshua Sestak 3:42 p.m.
Shayne Cassey 3:44 p.m.
Brenda Harrington 3:55 p.m.
Charly Edmonds 4:30 p.m.
Alex Fischer 4:30 p.m.
Kyle Kitson 4:45 p.m.
Lisa Hallberg 5:35 p.m.
Gary Hadl 6:15 p.m.

Since tomorrow is my last day here at LJWorld.com, I've been gradually cleaning out my desk and laptop bag. Some interesting items have surfaced. Here are some of the highlights:

• A ticket to the 2008 KU vs. MU Border Showdown at Arrowhead Stadium. It was sleeting/raining and I was miserable until the last 27 seconds. Reesing to Meyer on 4th and 6. Un-freaking believable.
  • A huge bottle of Excedrin. Man, how did I not remember I had that?
  • Two forks and two spoons. Jake and I had been wondering what was happening to our silverware. Surprise! It was in my laptop bag.
  • Four pairs of earbuds. I clearly remember purchasing each set after I thought I'd lost the previous pair. Those little suckers are easy to lose.
  • A pack of "Movie Theater Butter" microwave popcorn. That could still be edible. What is the shelf life on microwave popcorn?

Finally, I think someone may have "accidentally borrowed" my Pee-wee Herman bobblehead. I'm offering a reward of a 2/3-full bottle of hand sanitizer (also found in my desk drawer) for Pee-wee's safe return. I'd like him to live next to the Miller High Life delivery man and Andre the Giant bobbleheads we have at home.

I'm also willing to admit I may have moved Pee-wee on my own and can't remember what happened to him.

Comments

Ralph Reed 2 years, 9 months ago

You've been a great mod Whitney. Tried to find some mustard for you, but couldn't get it by the LJW, sorry.

autie 2 years, 9 months ago

tange 2 years, 9 months ago

So, what's up with all the darkened generic avatar icons? Mourning a departure?... or is it just that hot outside?

/ toast

Curtis Lange 2 years, 9 months ago

Congrats Brenda! Turned over to 100° at exactly 3:55pm. Screenshot: http://upload.offensivex.com/images/screenkdk.jpg

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

I wonder how long it would take for a frozen pizza (or corndog) to cook in my black car (leather seats will help with heat distribution) with the windows up and in the sun?

Maybe I should open up a place that sells only things baked in my car

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 9 months ago

Channel 6 Downtown, Lawrence Elevation 850 ft Station Select Now

Clear Temperature 99.7 °F Feels Like 110 °F (it's going up faster than I can copy and paste

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 9 months ago

Channel 6 Downtown, Lawrence (wunderground) Temperature 99.3 °F Feels Like 110 °F

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 9 months ago

wuderground, via channel6 station Weather Station Channel 6 Downtown, Lawrence Elevation 850 ft Station Select Now

Clear Temperature 99.1 °F Feels Like 111 °F

wmathews 2 years, 9 months ago

Multiple people have now said to me "maybe your Pee-wee bobblehead is in the basement of the Alamo."

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Beware of live sparrows in your desk on Friday. Oh, probably not, they don't do that sort of thing anymore . . . . . . . do they?