Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Douglas County man transported to area hospitals after homemade firework explodes in hand

June 29, 2011

Advertisement

A man was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital and later to Kansas University Hospital Tuesday evening after a homemade firework detonated in his hand.

According to Douglas County emergency dispatchers, the incident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. in the 1000 block of North 680 Road. The man was making a mortar shell when the device detonated. Douglas County Sheriff’s Sgt. Steve Lewis said the incident had been classified as a medical emergency and was still being investigated. The extent of the patient’s injuries was not known Tuesday evening.

Comments

50YearResident 3 years, 6 months ago

Smokeless gunpowder in fireworks is a "No-No", just guessing.

Kontum1972 3 years, 6 months ago

a nice hook will help this person remember..also there might be a visit by the feds...depending how big the unit was...lol

kernal 3 years, 6 months ago

More likely a seeing eye dog in his future. But, he will will need some new hands to hold on to the handle.

Maybe parents who let their five year old children set off firecrackers will think twice now.

50YearResident 3 years, 6 months ago

KCTV5 at the noon news said the injuries were not serious.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.