Archive for Thursday, December 30, 2010

A good start: Thomas Robinson powers Jayhawks past UTA

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson delivers a dunk before the UT Arlington defense during the second half, Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

December 30, 2010

KU vs. UT Arlington

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson discussed his first start as a Jayhawk.

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 82-57 victory over UT Arlington on Dec. 29, 2010.

Kansas University power forward Thomas Robinson, who had three vicious dunks en route to a career-high 20 points, paid the price for his rim-rattlers Wednesday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“My wrist hurts,” the bruising 6-foot-9, 237-pound sophomore said with a smile after hitting eight of 10 shots and four of seven free throws and grabbing 10 rebounds, making his first start of the season and second of his career a memorable one in KU’s 82-57 victory over Texas Arlington.

“It’s something I learned early. If you are going to dunk, dunk it hard,” Robinson added. “(Assistant Joe) Dooley tells me to try to bring the rim down.”

Robinson, who KU coach Bill Self said is “without question our best post guy,” wanted to give credit to a fellow dunk artist.

LaMarcus Reed put down two slams, one in Robinson’s face in the first half.

“I’d say he won that battle,” Robinson said of the in-your-face jam. “He had a couple. I take my hat off to him. He’s a good player. They have a good team. But we had a bad game, so I had a bad game.”

Robinson said what one might expect when asked if he was more energized in making his first start of the year.

“I don’t look at it that way,” the Washington, D.C., native said. “I look at bringing the same energy whether starting or coming off the bench.”

Robinson said he tries to bring energy every night.

“It’s something I wanted to work on coming into the season, being consistent,” Robinson said. “I’ve talked to the coaches about it. It doesn’t matter who we are playing. I need to play hard every game.

“Every team needs a glue guy. Somebody who can come in and help bring energy. That’s my role.”

KU’s other two newly promoted starters were a mixed bag. Elijah Johnson had a big game with 11 points and five assists, while Josh Selby missed eight of nine shots and finished with two points and two assists.

“I think they were better than the guys who got benched, to be honest,” Self said.

Marcus Morris scored 13 points and grabbed six rebounds, while Tyshawn Taylor had eight points and two assists. Brady Morningstar had one point, one rebound and one assist, also in a reserve role.

“The thing that concerns me ... who are our best players?” Self said. “I don’t know. We talk about it as a staff, who are our best players? Elijah without question tonight was one of our best five players. Thomas is playing better than any big guy. We don’t even know who our best players are.

“That’s frustrating because you need to have some rhythm and have roles to find. It’s great to have different guys every night, but when you don’t make shots, you should still be one of our best players regardless if the shot goes in or not.

“You can put any of nine guys out there right now, and it doesn’t make any difference,” he added. “We need to have some guys separate themselves because you can’t go into a game not knowing what you want to do as far as who is going to play the most minutes. I started four new guys tonight, but to be honest, some of those guys are better than our starters who have been starting and were more productive. Practice hasn’t been interesting, but it’s about to get a lot more interesting.”

Self wasn’t pleased, especially defensively, after a game in which KU led by just five, 40-35, with 17:34 left. Robinson had three points and Travis Releford five in a 15-2 run that finally opened a 55-37 lead.

“The second half, our best team was Travis at the 4 and Thomas the 5. That was our best team,” Self said.

He said it wouldn’t necessarily be best for KU’s team in the long run to have Robinson start.

“We’ve seen how good Marcus and Markieff (Morris, 14 points, five boards) can play,” Self said. “Thomas is a great spell guy off the bench.

“We are so up and down right now. Defensively we are not even close. That’s what is frustrating.”

KU will meet Miami of Ohio at 5 p.m. Sunday in Allen.

Comments

CLARKKENT 4 years, 4 months ago

ANOTHER BIG NAME TEAM TO KEEP THE STREAK ALIVE.

Mo Meza 4 years, 4 months ago

Clark.....Let's see......your wildcats had Emporia State as a regular season game and also had a hard time to win against the Presbeterian team, at home. Your team, being ranked #3 at the time, lost by 14 or more and did not even compete againts Duke. Be objective in your criticism.

CLARKKENT 4 years, 4 months ago

TEAMONE--AT LEAST KS DID PLAY DUKE. YES, KS DID HAVE SOME SOFT SPOTS ON THE SCHEDULE. YES THEY WERE #3 AT THE TIME, BUT ALL ALONG WE/YOU KNEW THEY WERE NOT THE #3 TEAM IN THE NATION. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING A LOT OF BASKETBALL, AND GRANTED KU HAS FOUND A WAY TO WIN, WHEN NOT PLAYING WELL. BUT RIGHT NOW, THEY ARE NOT THE 3RD BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY. THEY WILL BE FINE, BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY HAVE THE BEST COACH IN THE COUNTRY, AND HE WILL FIX THINGS. THAT BEING SAID, WHEN THE STREAK ENDS, KU WILL BE A FAR BETTER TEAM.

Mo Meza 4 years, 4 months ago

Clark... I don't think that for a team to get better it will need to lose first. For KSU fans, it doesn't matter how good the KU basketball team can be, it is still not good enough. By the way, do you really think that your team belong in the top 20? Also, can you sincerely tell me why KSU doesn't play UCLA, USC, Arizona and California? These teams may not be ranked but they are very dangerous teams with very good coaches.

rgh 4 years, 4 months ago

All you have to do is look at the current RPI and S.I. Power rankings to see KU is far and above K-State and Misery. The numbers speak for themselves at this early stage.

Kryptonite 4 years, 4 months ago

Why don't you go shopping at Dillards?

brew_crew122 4 years, 4 months ago

because he's a KU fan this week. Should change again by next week though.

CLARKKENT 4 years, 4 months ago

KRYPTO--I WOULD IF YOU WOULD LET ME TAKE MARIO FOR PROTECTION.

BigAl 4 years, 4 months ago

Every team in D1 plays lesser known teams prior to their conference games. KU also plays some very tough teams prior to their conference games. The difference between KU and all of the other D1 Teams right now is that KU has WON all of their home games. 2nd place to KU is way down the list. KU's primary rivals (KSU and MU) are no where even close to this type of winning streak. KU almost wins as many game in AFH as it does in Bramlage.

Matt Bowers 4 years, 4 months ago

I thought that for 75% of the game the Jayhawks played without a purpose or poise. It was a frustrating game to watch and besides a few players, the energy was not there. From what has been seen since Selby entered the lineup, I believe this should be the starting five:

Reed EJ Brady Marcus Markieff

The first guys off the bench because of energy and attention to defense need to be TRob and Travis. Play the guys that are going to pride themselves on defense and passing and the scoring will take care of itself. For at least one game, make Selby and TT have to earn back their positions.

Rock Chalk

rgh 4 years, 4 months ago

With Keiff in foul trouble, Robinson needed a break so it was to be able and keep Marcus on the bench for his elbow last game (that's my best guess anyway).

FrankDrebin 4 years, 4 months ago

KUSTRONG, Are you related to Brady somehow? I can't think of any other reason that you would consider him to be a starter. He has not been good at all. I see his minutes dwindling by the game. The only reason that he may still get any time at all is to keep dad's money coming in, assuming it still is. With that being said, this team is a strange one. You never seem to know who will play well from game to game. We will lose at least once to a team that has no business beating us, probably at home.

Matt Bowers 4 years, 4 months ago

Frank, I WISH!!! I thought that with Brady on the floor KU is usually a better passing and defensive team, that was my reasoning. Totally agree that this team is strange, but it seems to me that all of the problems except free throws can be resolved with good defense. KU in order to flow must think defense first and the rest of the game will open up.

Rock Chalk

Armen Kurdian 4 years, 4 months ago

Brady is on/off. When he's on, he really does a great job in leading the defense. I don't see his minutes dwindling that much unless he doesn't have a good game between now & conference play.

As for the streak, sure, we'll lose a game at home at some point, maybe this season, maybe next, and we've had a few squeakers for sure. But we did win, and we haven't been upset yet. And considering there are about 340 Div I basketball teams, and we're ranked #3, you figure that a lot of teams you play aren't going to be elite teams. You need those lesser teams to work on your game, give playing time to less experienced players. You play top caliber teams twice a week you'll get so beat up you'll run out of gas by the time March rolls around.

yankeevet 4 years, 4 months ago

Did Selby play last night? Oh yea; he got two points.........what happened to him?

Matt Bowers 4 years, 4 months ago

Freshman. His body language wasn't good once things weren't automatic for him, he will learn, and get better. A lot of last night probably had some to do with weather delays and not being able to practice as a team. I think that we will see a different KU team against Miami of Ohio.

Rock Chalk