Archive for Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tie-wearing boys on national TV today

Wyatt Carson, center, a second-grader at Pinckney school, started a fashion fad after choosing to wear a tie to school. Now several second-graders are wearing ties. In class Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2008, from left are Milo McKay, Arthur Hughes, Carson, Oliver Broce and Hunter Jones.

January 8, 2009

As some of you might remember, I did a story on some second-grade boys at Pinckney School this past December. They were totally adorable, and it was one story where almost all reader comments were positive! If you're a regular on LJWorld.com, you know that's not exactly the norm.

Well, to my surprise, the Rachael Ray Show contacted the boys after the story showed up on 6News and in the Journal-World, and they sent a crew out to Pinckney to do a story on them. Of course, confidentiality forms stopped us from coming in to film what they were doing at the school, but tomorrow is the big day! The boys will be on the show, which airs at 9 a.m. on KTKA, Sunflower Broadband Channel 12. Set your DVRs!

And look whom they get to be on with: Kate Hudson! Lucky boys!

That was one of my favorite stories of all time. I've had a few of my stories go national — this one about a letter from the 1940s landed on CNN's home page. Check it out below. (I was on CNN! Ahhh!) But, the boys were adorable and the ties were super cute. I wanted to take them all home with me. Plus, Wyatt, the trend-starter, even taught me how to tie a tie. Useful information for the future. And a special thanks to Mike Yoder, who took some great pictures to go along with the story.

Are you going to watch the boys in ties tomorrow morning? What do you think about Lawrence getting national TV coverage (hedgehogs included)?

Flash player

1948 letter returned to sender

Comments

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 3 months ago

Informed, ok, so we give them a break in the second grade and the the 3,4th 5th and sixth. And then I hear the same stuff when they are 20yrs plus in college, that they are only kids. Someplace along the line, they may as well. learn. Sure they are "cute", I was cute when I was in the second grade. In fact, I was so cute, my 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Randolph let me sit on her lap during reading. She read to us and let me tell you, I had a toothache and she let me sit on her lap and rest my toothache on her bosom. How lucky can a 2nd grader be. Think a teacher would do that now.Ok, they get a break, just for you, Informed. Just tell me at what age they stop getting a break.You should have seen this Mrs. Randolph. I am thinking she might be around 86 or so now. I wonder if she is alive.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 3 months ago

Give 'em a break, hawk. They're in second grade, for crying out loud! That makes them, what, 7, 8 years old? They are KIDS. They look great and both they and their parents should be proud!

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 3 months ago

They need to tuck their shirts in. The really most presentable one was the kid with the sweater. They are just having fun, but I thought when I first heard about the article that they would be a bit more presentable. Can only imagine when they are older with the ties and the flip flops aka shower shoes, and the pants hanging off the butts.Come on kids, dress up and really have some class.

KansasPerson 5 years, 3 months ago

Just watched the segment on Rachael Ray. It was great, but all the way through it I kept expecting them to mention where the boys were from, and I don't think they ever did! I don't think I heard them say "Lawrence" or even "Kansas"! Darn....Nice brief shot of the PInckney School sign, though. :)

woxy 5 years, 3 months ago

Yankeevet:They don't "all" need haircuts. First off, long hair for boys is back in style. Second of all, do you want the boy on the far right to be shaved bald? How short do you expect hair to be?

ralphralph 5 years, 3 months ago

We've been cheering-on our own boy-in-a-tie, Harison Rohrer, a third-grader from Burlington, who had a tumor removed from his head this week down in Memphis. btw - he named the tumor "Freddy" and wants to bring it back home for show & tell [his mother is thrilled]. It's a tough road, but this kid and his family have a faith and positive strength that is truly incredible ... and he looks really fine in his necktie. Check out the story, and the tie, at www.caringbridge.org under the website name "harisonrohrer". Really, go read it. If you're impressed by boys in ties, wait til you read about boys in ties with tumors. It's worth a few minutes.

yankeevet 5 years, 3 months ago

They all need haircuts..........

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 3 months ago

Sigmund--I don't think we consider the feedback toward "us" negative. I think we think negatively when we read attacks on our sources or on other commenters. We take the feedback and -- usually -- try to take something away. That's not negative.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

Sigmund 5 years, 3 months ago

"...it was one story where almost all reader comments were positive! If you're a regular on LJWorld.com, you know that's not exactly the norm."Did you ever stop to think that criticism, no matter how hard and sometimes unfair, is also often justified and that direct feedback makes the LJW and staff better at their craft? How much do you learn and grow when everyone tells you how great you are? When so much of the media is tone deaf, losing readers, laying off staff, and needing bailouts the LJW is getting lots of positive national attention lately. Is it possible all that feedback has helped shape LJW and is partly responsible for its success? Just saying. Anyway neat story, great picture, and I love the "Boys in Ties" tag in the headline.

Tammy Copp-Barta 5 years, 3 months ago

Very COOL!!! Congratulations guys!!!

Deja Coffin 5 years, 3 months ago

I know!! I'll have to make sure to watch it tomorrow!

Sigmund 5 years, 3 months ago

How brilliant! Damn I wish I had a DVR, but nooooo I'm too cheap. Maybe I'll catch a rerun. The LJW has had some great local human interest stories lately. I suppose I have to give a the LJW kudos for the work lately. so here goes, "Good work."