Archive for Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Second-grade boys add touch of class with neckties

Boys wear ties — by choice

A demonstration on how to tie a necktie.

December 3, 2008

Pinckney second-grader Oliver Broce, straightens out his tie in class, Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2008. Several boys started wearing ties after student Wyatt Carson choose to wear one to school. In background at left is Milo McKay.

Wyatt Carson, center, a second-grader at Pinckney school, started a fashion fad after choosing to wear a tie to school. Now several second-graders are wearing ties. In class Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2008, from left are Milo McKay, Arthur Hughes, Carson, Oliver Broce and Hunter Jones.

The tie's the thing: Elementary students drawn to classic accessory

It's not easy getting men to dress up these days, but students at one local elementary school are making ties the newest trend. Enlarge video

Some men have difficulties getting their neckties to look just right, but one Lawrence second-grader makes it look easy.

And he’s started a new trend in the process.

“My dad started wearing a tie and my dad wanted to buy me a tie,” said 7-year-old Wyatt Carson, a student at Pinckney School.

Once Wyatt started dressing up for school almost every day, four of his friends followed in his footsteps.

“Since he was wearing a tie, I would like to wear a tie,” said 8-year-old Oliver Broce. But Oliver did admit he doesn’t own a real tie because they look difficult to get on.

Seven-year-old Hunter Jones also begged his mom for the latest fashion. “Wyatt and Oliver did,” he said. “Sometimes I just want to look nice for school.”

Wyatt’s mother, Amy McVey, said at first she thought her son was kidding.

“I didn’t think he was serious,” she said. “But he kept asking every day and so we went on the hunt.”

Plus, Wyatt didn’t want a clip-on or a tie that was already in a knot. He wanted the real thing, which wasn’t easy to find.

But once they found the navy blue necktie, he started wearing it every day. And he feels “pretty good” about being a trendsetter.

“I have three or four,” Oliver said.

McVey noticed that the friends were all donning neckties. “I spoke to their mothers and sure enough, they went home and asked for a tie.”

Wyatt says he looks up to his father, who is in advertising, because “he’s smart.”

And so is the boys’ new look.

“They’re cool,” Hunter said.

But neckties might be passé as soon as Wyatt breaks out his latest accessory.

“We actually have a bow tie now that he’s going to start sporting to school,” McVey say.

Comments

Bassetlover 6 years ago

I absolutely love this. Hopefully, it will have a trickle-down effect and other kids will follow their lead from time to time. I think when kids are dressed up, for the most part, they tend to behave better too!

Nikki May 6 years ago

It's a video which is moving pictures. Anyway, I think it's cute and fun and all, but if my kids said they wanted to do it because another kid did it, I'd probably not encourage it, but I won't really discourage it either. I would try to get them to think for themselves.

kiddofriendy 6 years ago

Thanks LJW for a great story. This made me smile! I have a little boy and I could see him totally doing this!

kristenkim 6 years ago

Those kids look so sharp! Bravo!I've been told (and I do believe this) that people perform better at their job, or pay more attention in class, when they look their best because it increases confidence, makes people feel professional, etc. I wonder if that isn't also true for elementary school students? I'm not saying that these kids have behavioral problems or anything, but I wonder if this new trend helps them stay focused and work diligently?

Jacob Kucza 6 years ago

Hawkperched, I think you took this video a bit too seriously. I don't think these kids are trying to revolt against sweat pants and t-shirts. Are you?

audibleangel 6 years ago

so i'm not so sure 8 year old girls are wearing 'rags' to school. and i know for a fact a trend started by an 8 year old isn't going to sweep the city of Lawrence, not to mention, stand a chance against teenage girls' desires to objectify themselves for the attention of teenage boys. and those girls are the ones wearing said 'rags' but hey keep on dreamin haha

Kelly Russell 6 years ago

How wonderful! I was surprised when my 9th grade son asked me to buy him a sweater vest to wear on dress up days at school. I got him an argyle vest and he looks so nice in it. A few other boys have followed his example.

Tony Kisner 6 years ago

I would trade Oliver some of my ties for that cool floppy hair.

Amy McVey 6 years ago

From Wyatt's mom... Thanks for all the cool posts. These boys are a great group of kids - and very best friends. Wyatt and I have had a blast reading your thoughts and feel so thankful to be a part of the Lawrence community - and especially Pinckney, which is a very supportive environment with really cool teachers!

coolmarv 6 years ago

Those boys look sharp. I am always trying to get my kids to dress a little nicer. Especially to church. It is one thing to 'be yourself' but another to look respectful. Both kids have a dress code but my daughters school allows them to were a school tee (instead of a polo) shirt so that is all she wears (with pants).

bevy 6 years ago

To the poster above with the Disney comments - AMEN! I have an 11 year old daughter who doesn't like the color pink (loves the singer, though) and won't wear Hannah Montana, Cheetah girls, or High School Musical apparel. You can't imagine how I struggle to find clothes for her - especially affordable ones. Not to mention the modesty issue - why do they design such low-cut tops for little girls! Pervy!Hawk, I don't know why you think girls have to wear "dresses and skirts". I had to wear skirts to school (in the early 70s!) and it was pretty hard to hang upside down from the monkey bars. Not to mention chilly in winter! Nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans and a cute top, and much easier for modesty's sake.

geekin_topekan 6 years ago

Lookin' sharp kids.Great job.Now I wish the older ones would grow up a little and follow suit instead of walking around "saggin",with half their underwear showing,And when they do it well into their 30's??That is just pathetic.

BeeBee3 6 years ago

You find the cutest stories Lindsey- well done on this one!

kateku 6 years ago

Way to go Wyatt! And Oliver too!You guys look SHARP!

KansasPerson 6 years ago

I love Oliver's hair!And I love this story. Great find. Added a real perk to the morning read.

Avery Pearson 6 years ago

wow. this is the first article that i've come across on ljworld that hasn't disintegrated into name calling and bickering. well done. Finally something we can all agree upon. Ties are fantastic.

KansasPerson 6 years ago

Multi, you're so coordinated! No stripes with polka dots! :)We girls ALL had to wear skirts (parochial school) and I and most others wore shorts under them just in self-defense. Don't you remember when boys would flip your skirt up on the playground and yell "Dress-Up Day!" (Nowadays, they'd get sent home, suspended, expelled, incarcerated, exterminated, or whatever, for sexual discrimination. What I really wanted to do back then was pop them one in the nose, but I was too much of a young lady.... :) )

KansasPerson 6 years ago

But the necktie IS our culture, and if you're going to be multicultural, wouldn't that preclude getting rid of something from our own culture?Or do you mean we should embrace all cultures except our own?(p.s. we're in a new millennium, not a new millenia... that's plural, besides being misspelled)

morganlefay 6 years ago

This is the ljworld cover story?! How pathetic.

leadstone 6 years ago

In high school I wasn't allowed to where a T-shirt if it had a skull on it.Nothing against these fine lads but if they can employ their sense of artistic impression I feel that anyone should be allowed to wear what they feel most comfortable in.....as long as their butt isn't waving around for everyone.

MaryKatesPillStash 6 years ago

"The really cool part about this trend, is, it was not promoted by Disney/ hanna montana or some other market strategist."While the story didn't mention it, I wouldn't be so quick to say it wasn't at least a part of the equation. These guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Br... are really popular with kids those age right now, and they are almost always seen sporting floppy hair and a tie.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years ago

~chuckle~thinking back to the dress code when I was a kid...we didn't have to wear ties... but we would have never gotten away with having our shirts un-tucked...and the length of all but one of these boys hair would have gotten a guy sent home...ties can be kind of cool... I guess...but really... truth is... these boys look pretty sloppy...

stuckinthemiddle 6 years ago

now... if they started wearing fedoras...that would be cool...

morganlefay 6 years ago

Ariadne, I like what you've added to this pathetic thread. Also, if I wanted to read an email about kids, I'd read a disney publication. I've always said, kids are soooo overrated.

KansasVoter 6 years ago

Why is it that these boys' parents can put a tie on them but they can't brush or comb their hair? All five of those boys look like they just rolled out of bed. The boys wearing the sweater vest and cardigan look okay, but the rest just look like slobs wearing ties.

KansasPerson 6 years ago

KansasVoter: These are seven- and eight-year-old boys, for crying out loud, and that photo probably wasn't taken the instant they were combed and ready for school. Give them a little license to be little boys, why don't you!And morganlefay said:"if I wanted to read an email about kids, I'd read a disney publication. I've always said, kids are soooo overrated."Which doesn't really explain why you're reading not only an article about some children, but you're reading all the comments too. Shouldn't you be reading something more grownuppish and non-overrated?

Grundoon Luna 6 years ago

"Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man." Remember that, boys. Keep rockin' the ties. And a fedora would be cool. A top hat when going formal? Killer!

flux 6 years ago

How does a story like this come about? Does Wyatts mother work for the paper, anonymous phone call..."Hey LJworld I found some crazy kids are wearing ties, get down here".....seriously?

imagold 6 years ago

And all because this young man admires his father. Wonderful! You go guys. So much more stylin' than those baggy, droopy pants we see around town and those Ugg-ly boots. Rock on wit'cha bad selves!

misseve 6 years ago

Its not just a trend at this school, my 3rd grader LOVES wearing Polo shirts and nice sweaters to school. We should, as parents let them know its ok to have choices other than t-shirts and all things Disney and Nickelodeon.