Archive for Sunday, February 8, 2009

Transit consultants ask for input

Transit professionals are rolling into town this week looking for ways to coordinate KU on Wheels and the city's bus service.

February 8, 2009

Upcoming times for public discussion

Consultants hired to help coordinate services between KU on Wheels and the Lawrence Transit System will be available to accept public comment during three meetings this week:

• 3 p.m. Monday in the McCook Room at KU’s Burge Union, a chance for KU students to weigh in on routes and schedules.• 4:10 p.m. Tuesday at the Lawrence Transit System office, 933 N.H., during a meeting of the city’s Public Transit Advisory Committee.• 6:35 p.m. Tuesday at Lawrence City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets, during a regular weekly meeting of the Lawrence City Commission.

Consultants looking to help coordinate transit services in Lawrence are coming to town this week, and they want to hear from you.

Members of the consulting team — from Olsson Associates, of Overland Park, and Bourne Transit Consulting, of Ames, Iowa — will be collecting suggestions for coordinating the routes and schedules of KU on Wheels and the Lawrence Transit System.

The consulting team has been hired by the two systems as an “implementation specialist” tasked with devising a combined route map and operational schedule serving the entire community, including the Kansas University campus.

With first round of recommendations due March 1, the transit experts intend to work fast.

“We’re still in an information-gathering phase,” said Tom Worker-Braddock, an assistant transportation planner for Olsson Associates. “This first week is really just a boot camp of meeting with all the stakeholder groups.”

In all, the consultants will conduct 32 formal meetings with interested parties — from developers to neighborhood groups, and from employers to bus-riding employees.

Three of the meetings — with KU students, the city’s Public Transit Advisory Committee and Lawrence City Commission — are open to the public and are designed to draw from the broadest spectrum of perspectives.

Consultants also intend to ride buses, paratransit vans and otherwise visit with Lawrence residents to pick up knowledge to supplement what already has been gathered during previous open houses, written surveys, online questionnaires and professional studies.

Leaders expect the meetings to offer something of a two-way street for information.

“In addition to hearing from the public, the implementation specialists will be able to share ideas that they have already generated about our systems and get feedback on those ideas,” said Casey Toomay, the city’s interim transit administrator.

The city and KU recently hired the consulting team for $91,880. The firms’ contract calls for an initial round of recommendations, plus a second, more complicated set of coordination plans designed to take effect in time for the fall of 2010.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

"Hand over your wallet, because you asked for it."Don't know about you, but the $50 a year or so this will cost me won't require me to "hand over my wallet."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

"I'll point out that - several times - before the vote I mentioned that people were voting on a concept when they had no idea what was going to come from it."We know exactly what's going to come from it-- a combined KU/city system that will offer greater frequency of buses on better routes. Did we know exactly how that would work? No, the majority of the city commission was really hoping/expecting that the vote would fail, so they didn't see it necessary to make the ballot initiative more specific than it was.

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 2 months ago

"KS (Anonymous) says…just another bozo and livingstone - You have no idea as to my political thoughts. FYI, I am about as much anti-socialism and anti-communism that you could find. You guys are going to have to deal with what you voted for. Hand over your wallet, because you asked for it. Then when it is wasted, as is this study, don't complain."Agree.... we voted for an idiot for 8 years... and we've voted someone in to clear up the mess.... nice quote. No one, not even the expert, can speak with conviction the way you just did.... bet you're trying to show us your "expertise". Much appreciated.

Thinking_Out_Loud 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow. hawkperchedatriverfront likely could not have worked another offensive stereotype into his 10:15 post had he tried.

Godot 5 years, 2 months ago

Standing Ovation for Hawkperchedatriverfront!!! LOL!

Omegatron 5 years, 2 months ago

The T system also needs to be redesigned so that buses operate in specific parts of town instead of going clear across it.Like the 5 which goes from the far east of town (East hills business park) to the far west (27th & Scottsdale) and back.Or the 2/3 which goes from the far south (Haskell University), Downtown, then to the far north (Iowa & Lakeview) and back.Coordination, efficiency, logic, all that need to go into the design and planning of the T first, before they work on that between the systems.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

plans were indeed in the works at the time of the November 4 election...plans. this is the nitty-gritty, precise details working out the details. different level. this is the process resulting in merged systems, bus routes, schedules, everything to the minute. this is necessary. Olsson was a good choice as they'd done this before, I suspect KS hasn't done this before. again, the ranting clown on the wrong bus invokes "Bushco." sad. completely irrelevant to this article.
rusty2: ariadne/cool/coltrane/spiderman/sven erik alstrom. he'll get pulled down on this ID soon too.

Omegatron 5 years, 2 months ago

To many differences between KU on wheels and Lawrence transit. KU on wheels operate exactly half hour time frame on all routes. On all routes you just have to remember the minutes in the hour block that the bus will get to your location and your destination. Once you do that, the only reason to look at a map is for routes you are unfamiliar with. Route 25, I lived last year at 24th and ridge court, got there at :00 and :30, the union at :13 and :43, downtown at :25 and:55.The T's problem is that they don't operate the same. You have to look at a route map, depending on the time of day, cause there is no guarantee it will be there at the same time it was the last hour. Especially the lunch hour.Another difference is routes that connects, on the KU on wheels system, arrives within minutes of each other. The T can be 10 minutes or more.The list goes on and on. So the first thing these consultants need to do is fix the T so that it is as efficient as KU on wheels before they coordinate the systems.

pool_playa 5 years, 2 months ago

Having the T shows that Lawrence supports a strong community and sitting inside a bus makes you feel like a part of that.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 2 months ago

Dear Mr. Consultant:I like to ride the bus> I would like to see an ATM machine on it, so that I can get cash from my Vision card. It is a hassle going into Dillons to get the last $900.00 . Peoples looked at me, like I was a leper. Another thing, I don't want to walk more than a block to catch a bus, no matter where I might be. It is necessary to have the bus on a route that has a liqour store very close.Also, it scares me when the bus stops right in the lane of traffic. I am fearful for my life and my back. I am not sure I can file another disability claim. After all, two checks now is pushing the envelope (excuse the pun :)) Mine are direct deposit. Just between me and the bank.Another thing would be for the bus on Fridays to start about 4am. I really am tired of walking to Jubilee Kitchen for my made to order breakfast and then standing in line for the "freebie" of the day.A locker or two on the bus, would be helpful as toting around various belongings becomes tiresome as I travel around town.Couldn't there be some advertising on the bus with maybe coupons for free stuff. Something like one free double cheeseburger at McDonalds. Or maybe a nice meal on my birthday west of town at that place near 6th and Wakarusa that serves seafood.The thing that is really important is toilet facilities. I know Lawrence is an up and coming progressive community so public transportation should be the "best" that money cannot buy. After all, as I understand it, the goverment pays for the bus, the T.And the name while we are at it, the T has gotten a bad rap. Time for a name change, kinda like a new bride getting married.Have a contest to rename the noT so funcTionally Transportation.Hey, that sounds good, the Triple T. Maybe change it to the Trifecta Imperfecta.. a ride with us is a ride on a bet.Sincerely,A devoted T rider and a lifetime supporter of public transportation. p.s. and maybe an outlet to plug my cellphone in..this could be a green outlet powered by solar power , you know panels on the roof. :) you guys have a happy valentines day and hugs and kisses from everyone in Lawrence. We know you won't get the job done any better than the last con$ultant$. but at least you get a piece of the vani$hing pie. How come con$ultant has the dollar sign in it?

Godot 5 years, 2 months ago

Just think, we just allocated the extra, new sales tax on over $1,000,000 for this usesless exercise.This is enough waste and mismanagement to disqualify Lawrence from receiving any of Obama's stimulus. He did say, after all, that he would require recipients of his largesse to demonstrate responsibility.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 2 months ago

rusty2, thank you for the comment, even at 1% or 0.15 the old fart does have a brain and it works, unlike most of Lawrence which depends on sucking on the teat day after day after day.In fact, let's hear it now from all of the candiates, we know where Constance and Klingenberg stand as they will use the T as their platform for success to the next commission. God forbid if that is what they bring forward. More of the same old, worn out issues.We need the candidates to have some original ideas. way out of the box. This insane asylum needs a new Director and the inmates need to find the way to "san jose"... help us dear jesus... if you cant' then bring moses and part the waters and let the city continue to sink into the great divide and get it over with.hint to consultants: remove every bus from the interior footbprint of the campus asap. have only four buses that travel back and forth to the campus buildings and dorms. All other buses stop at 15th and Iowa, 19th and Naismith and 11th and Mississippi. City buses should stop at 11th and Tenn and 14th and Tenn.City bus routes should have stops at least two blocks apart to make the routes more efficient.This firm will recommend what KU wants and it means $$$$$$$$$, get your billfold out.

notajayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says… "If it's so easy, danimal, why don't sit down and draw up the plan, and submit it. Maybe it's not to late to get a refund on the consultants."Since boohoozo isn't bright enough to figure this out for himself, I'll point out that - several times - before the vote I mentioned that people were voting on a concept when they had no idea what was going to come from it. And remind him that - several times - before the vote, boohoozo assured everyone that there were plans in place for the changes that had to be made. The hiring of these consultants - several months after the vote - only underscores that the city leaders had no clue what they were going to do with the mT when they asked you to vote to fund it, and 70% of you fell for it.**livingstone (Anonymous) says… "70% voted yes! "Yes, stoned, they did. And I have to live with that - however, I do not have to fund it, I can do my shopping elsewhere (and I do). But there is still hope. The voters of Lawrence should learn a lesson from those in Kansas City, who also made the mistake of voting for a worthless mass-transit plan (in their case light rail) for which no details were provided. And when the details started coming out, they had the intelligence to correct their mistake on a re-vote.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

"The people who want and take the most from the system and the workers, are the same ones that put very little or nothing into it."That would be the Wall Street and banking execs who just got bailed out by BushCo with zero strings attached.

rusty2 5 years, 2 months ago

a good question from hawkperched:Personally, I would like the J/W to interview this Bush who is a candidate for City Commission as he proposes to have a transportation system for the city that even your “grandchildren” will be proud of.Let's hear it from the candiates now and not later.p.s. Bush will not raise taxes but balance the budget. uh huh, and tomorrow I will look in the mirror and ask, “mirror, mirror on the wall, is Lawrence truly the dumbest city of them all”

Larry_The_Moocher 5 years, 2 months ago

The people who want and take the most from the system and the workers, are the same ones that put very little or nothing into it.On another note... the vagrents and bums that wintered somewhere else are starting to arrive back in town. Make sure you give them money when they ask for it so they can pay their own medical bills, housing, substance, and transportation.Sometimes I wonder why I get out of bed everyday and go to work.

KS 5 years, 2 months ago

matchbox81 5 years, 2 months ago

I imagine this is like most things in life. The less you know about a subject, the easier it sounds. For example, building nice looking cabinets should be easy, right? After all, they're just wooden boxes with a little bit of stain on them...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 2 months ago

omg, not more discussion again,pitiful, pitiful, pitiful, Who at City Hall authorized the hiring of this latest Dumbo the Elephant Consulting firm?Who decided to spend money? I thought I read that the "expert" dude had gone to KU and lived in Lawrence and rode the buses. This is the prelude to "we will need more finances to implement the service, quality , and transportation system the community is asking for"..Personally, I would like the J/W to interview this Bush who is a candidate for City Commission as he proposes to have a transportation system for the city that even your "grandchildren" will be proud of.Let's hear it from the candiates now and not later.p.s. Bush will not raise taxes but balance the budget. uh huh, and tomorrow I will look in the mirror and ask, "mirror, mirror on the wall, is Lawrence truly the dumbest city of them all"

Danimal 5 years, 2 months ago

What a waste of money. We seriously don't have anyone smart enough in this town to figure this out? I thought that the plans were already supposed to be in the works when we voted on this three months ago. I think it wouldn't be that hard to coordinate the two. Make some consolidated stops, a couple other transfer stations around town for the T, and hash out the schedules so transfers between systems are easier. People in Lawrence make even the simplest projects incredibly expensive and time consuming. Just sit down with your schedules and ridership data and get to work.

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 2 months ago

I thought I was living in the wrong town when this city even had to vote to keep MT.... and the 70% voted "yes" makes me smile and tells me that most of Lawrencians are still kind-hearted people even though 90% of these 70% who voted yes never ride the T!As for KS.... you sound so "communist" and "socialist"... and refuse to accept the democratic vote. 70% voted yes! If you want your say, just convert Lawrence into a communist city! Remember, "communism" is worst than "socialism"! hahahahahhaa

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

Um, in case you didn't notice, 70% of Lawrence disagrees with you, KS. Deal with it.

brutas61 5 years, 2 months ago

Get rid of Sweeten and Co. would be the first big step to improving the transit system.

KS 5 years, 2 months ago

You don't have to hire a consultant to figure this one out. Shut down the "MT". More money wasted by the City and KU.