Archive for Monday, August 17, 2009

Ghost hunters present findings to fraternity

August 17, 2009

Ghost investigators turn in spooky results

Paranormal investigators handed down some spooky results about a KU fraternity house. Enlarge video

Jeremy Ibarra experienced first-hand some paranormal activity at the Sigma Nu fraternity house on the KU campus during the summer.

Ibarra, a Shawnee sophomore and member of the fraternity, was working in the house alone when it happened.

He was nearing the end of a seven-hour room-painting project when he said he thought he saw someone out of the corner of his eye. Ibarra was expecting someone at the house any minute to relieve him of his duties, but who he saw was not a fraternity member.

“It was a dark-haired girl wearing old-style clothing,” Ibarra said. “After that I was like, ‘I’m cleaning up, I’m done.’”

The paranormal activity Ibarra experienced was supported by the findings that Rob Garcia, founding member of Elite Paranormal of Kansas City, presented to members of Sigma Nu fraternity Sunday afternoon.

About a dozen members gathered in the dimly lit basement of the fraternity house, 1501 Sigma Nu Place, to listen to recordings and testimony from the paranormal investigators, who searched the house July 25.

The house has long been rumored to be haunted by Virginia, the mistress and a servant of Gov. Walter Stubbs, who lived in the house. Stubbs was governor from 1909 to 1913. According to the story, when Mrs. Stubbs found out about the affair, she became jealous, and the mistress hanged herself at the house in 1911.

Garcia played back recordings he took from the night of the investigation. Everyone in the room listened intently to what Garcia called EVPs, or electronic voice phenomena. The recordings, taken from various rooms throughout the house, contained voices Garcia believed said things from “they call me Nathan,” to “rest in hell.” Some of the recordings played back clearly, while others were more difficult, or impossible, to make out.

Throughout the presentation, members of the fraternity shared their own experiences with Garcia and Wendy Garrett, a psychic who was present during July’s investigation.

“There are plenty of spirit energies here to work with,” Garrett said. “This is a great space for experiencing whatever is out there other than what you see in the nine-to-five world.”

As a result of one night’s work, Garcia recorded 19 EVPs, which he said was far greater than the average number.

“I don’t think I’ve ever gotten that many from one little session,” Garcia said.

After more than an hour of presenting findings and discussing experiences, the group in Sigma Nu’s basement disbanded and headed off to resume their normal daily activities. The fraternity members continued to tell one another about their experiences as they walked away.

“When you have an experience, you know,” Garrett said. “There’s no logical explanation for what happened and in trying to explain it, it becomes a stretch. That’s when you know.”

Comments

maffupps 5 years, 4 months ago

Does this Garcia character receive compensation for his "services"? If so I can't say that I'm shocked to discover that fratboys are such classic suckers.

Bladerunner 5 years, 4 months ago

I was wondering the same thing. What a crock!

Sigmund 5 years, 4 months ago

If you play the EVP's backward one of the voices is heard to clearly say, "Paul is dead!"

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 4 months ago

"“There’s no logical explanation for what happened and in trying to explain it, it becomes a stretch. That’s when you know.”

that you need to make up something really good.

bangaranggerg 5 years, 4 months ago

If a vortex opens up and sucks a entire frat house into hell, I'm totally going to be like, "called it."

martyks 5 years, 4 months ago

No, it either says "I buried Paul" or "Rasberry Sauce" "28 IF" or "number nine" or maybe "turn me on, dead man"... "In a previous life, I vaguely remember delivering pizza to the Eisenhowers." "Momma told me there'd be days like this." or my favorite, "Goo goo ga choo".

urthatguy66044 5 years, 4 months ago

They EVP's sound more like something a stupid frat punk would come up with... Be a little more creative guys, they even gave you a backstory to follow... Stupid frattys, tisk tisk tisk

Joel Hood 5 years, 4 months ago

What? No one bitching about the "misuse of their tax dollars"??? (LOL)

Seriously though, I remember this one time, at summer camp, and we were telling ghost stories, and we all got creeped out, and we started hearing things, and we didn't know what it was, and we knew there was no rational explanation for it...

But, I'm sure that story doesn't apply here.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 4 months ago

I looked at there website, they do this free of charge. Because of that, I have shut my lips, shake my head, and move on.

ktjmn 5 years, 4 months ago

This whole story about a haunted Sigma Nu house is the biggest hoax in Lawrence's history. Everyone has said that it is the ghost of a woman who is especially angry toward other women and it specifically shows itself in April or whenever the anniversary of her death is, but this is just a huge story created to bring attention to the house. I am a woman who lived in this house for a year with 70 other women and not a single one of us ever experienced anything "paranormal" or creepy. We didn't hear slamming doors, we didn't see a "ghostly figure" and there were no "unexplained accidents." Halloween passed without any scary events and so did the supposed anniversary of her death. Every year Sigma Nu brings in self-proclaimed ghost hunters to investigate the house, and I've finally decided they do this so that they can continue to get recognition simply for having an old house with history. It's not one of the most popular fraternities on campus and this is the only way it can keep from being forgotten. I lived in the basement and the only creepy thing about being down there were the spiders and the state of the bathroom facilities. The LJWorld needs to stop reporting on this stupid, made-up story and stop giving attention to Sigma Nu and its pathetic excuse for a ghost story. ITS NOT REAL - THERE IS NOTHING CREEPY OR OUT OF PLACE ABOUT THIS BIG OLD HOUSE!

ilovelucy 5 years, 4 months ago

You need to take a pill and calm down. This is fun and if they get some publicity, so be it! Maybe the ghost didn't want to interact with the 70 women that lived in the house when you were there.

Sigmund 5 years, 4 months ago

Sigmund (Anonymous) says… "If you play the EVP's backward one of the voices is heard to clearly say, “Paul is dead!”

Sorry, should have read:

If you play the EVP's backward one of the voices is heard to clearly say, “John and George are dead!”

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 4 months ago

My friend's business is haunted by a ghost!! His name is...uh...Fred, and he makes wierd noises and does all kinds of other spooky stuff while no one else is around that can't be conclusively linked to a paranormal event.

Can we have our advertisement/publicity in the paper now?

imastinker 5 years, 4 months ago

I am laughing and olling my eyes and eyeryone here who cares:

1) enough to conduct this study. 2) enough to pay for this study 3) enough to write an article about this 4) enough to post on the internet about this.

I guess that last one includes me. Oh well...

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 4 months ago

It seems that the story here is "Student sees things after inhaling paint fumes all day".

Gary Denning 5 years, 4 months ago

I lived in the Sigma Nu house and all I can tell you is that several girls from Corbin/GSP got slimed there one night.

StephanieD123 5 years, 4 months ago

justanobserver 5 years, 4 months ago

"I am sorry but for those people who claim to be ghost hunters, have they gone to therapy for this?? Isn't there a disease that makes you see things or are they on drugs and they are seeing things??? They either need drugs or they need to stop taking drugs. They need help. Seriously!"

Seriously , lighten up and find some happiness in life! You do need help my dear.