Archive for Sunday, July 26, 2009

Paranormal investigators search Sigma Nu fraternity house

Fraternity scoured for paranormal signs

From left, Rob Garcia, Shawnee, KU junior Zach Williams, Olathe, and Bill Joeckel, Osawatamie, gather on a second floor landing at the KU Sigma Nu house Saturday evening during a tour of the fraternity house led by Williams. Williams was recounting stories of mysterious events in the house prior to a team of Elite Paranormal and K.C. Paranormal Studies members doing a ghost investigation Saturday night.

July 26, 2009

The warm summer air surrounding the Sigma Nu fraternity house northwest of the KU campus was eerily still Saturday night.

It contradicted all the movement inside.

For eight hours a team of paranormal investigators scoured the house in search of clues to the building’s rumored haunting.

The team, consisting of members of K.C. Paranormal and Elite Paranormal of Kansas City, searched every room and every floor hoping to find clues to support the rumors that suggest the house is haunted by Virginia, a mistress of former Gov. Walter Stubbs, who lived in the house before the fraternity moved in. Virginia, according to the undocumented story, hanged herself in 1911.

Bill Joeckel, who led the investigation Saturday night, said he had wanted to search the house for the past five years. The Osawatomie man said something had always thwarted his efforts to look through the supposed haunted house.

The group of paranormal investigators worked methodically, moving from room to room in response to the different energies in the building. Joeckel said the team had been slowly developing a routine it would use in each subsequent investigation. The team worked mostly in silence throughout the night.

James Presnell, the quantum physicist in the group, carried boxes full of equipment into Room 201, which sat empty on the second floor of the fraternity house. Within minutes he had unloaded the various pieces of equipment — most of which he built himself — from the boxes.

Presnell set up sensors to measure everything from electric voltage in the room to the magnetic fields of the Earth. Each device displayed a reading he hoped would yield clues that would help him understand what was happening in the house.

Presnell, founder of K.C. Paranormal, said the key to the investigations was the connection between science and spirituality and making the two work together.

“I’m not looking for proof,” Presnell said. “I don’t need proof. I grew up with this stuff.”

Presnell said he focused instead on the changes in the environment in areas that were supposedly haunted. Shifts in temperature or voltage readings and changes in magnetic fields help him make logical connections to what might be occurring in a spiritual realm.

Other members of the group sifted through the various rooms of the house, responding to clues given by the team’s psychics, who were said to be in contact with the spiritual energy in the house.

During Saturday night’s investigation, Presnell said he noticed some of the changes he was looking for. Team members will take the next few days to process their experiences in the house and put the pieces together.

“We have to thrive on the clues,” Presnell said. “When people say something doesn’t exist, that’s being subjective.”

Comments

Steve Jacob 8 years, 4 months ago

I just don't know what to say about this. At least they don't charge, according to the website.

dubstep 8 years, 4 months ago

Presnell said he focused instead on the changes in the environment in areas that were supposedly haunted. Shifts in temperature, voltage readings and changes in magnetic fields help him make logical connections to what might be occuring in a spiritual realm.

logical connections? Could you expand on that?

RoeDapple 8 years, 4 months ago

Me thinks that the 'spirits' have been pouring through the halls of Sigma Nu ( and most other Greek houses) for quite some time. (hic!)

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

Gee, if only there was some way to research whether or not there was a woman named Virginia who died by hanging in Lawrence in 1911. If only there had been a newspaper that dated back that far in Lawrence, one might be able to research something like this. if only there had been a Lawrence Daily Journal that was in operation from 1885 to 1911, or a renamed Lawrence Daily Journal-World that dates to 1911 where one might find information about a strange death in a relatively small town. Gosh, and if only there was a place where one could look up such information, like maybe libraries where they keep journals at a Research One University within walking distance.

Well, perhaps that would be asking too much. Guess it is just best to call in the ghost squad with their really important and top secret scientific stuff. They'll figure it out.

Nice way to flex your intellectual muscles, boys of Sigma Nu.

parrothead8 8 years, 4 months ago

Beatrice, the team of investigators is looking for "proof" that the house is haunted. They already know that a woman named Virginia hung herself in the house in 1911.

The story mentions this, as did the story yesterday. Why would they need to research a fact that's already been well-documented, and which isn't even the fact that they're looking to prove?

Christine Anderson 8 years, 4 months ago

I would love to spend the night in this house, just to see if anything wierd happened.

Jim Williamson 8 years, 4 months ago

There's also the rumor that the body is in the house, bricked up in a wall, I think right by the fireplace.

True or not, it makes for a great story.

kansasmutt 8 years, 4 months ago

I can say from working in that house years ago, Virginia is walking the halls all day and nite. She helps you do things that cant be done without her and she can keep you from fixing something if she doesnt want it fixed. She is a good spirit.

cthulhu_4_president 8 years, 4 months ago

"Presnell said he focused instead on the changes in the environment in areas that were supposedly haunted. Shifts in temperature..."

Yes, in a large house some rooms will be have different temperatures. Some might even have more than one temperature in the same room! (depending on where the vent is). Scaaaary!!

"or voltage readings"

I'm wondering how a room can have a "voltage reading". I welcome an explination. Household appliances can have a voltage reading, and it's known to fluctuate depending on the power settings of the device. Scaaaaary.

"and changes in magnetic fields help him make logical connections to what might be occurring in a spiritual realm."

Again, this analysis would lead to ghosts in the microwave.

'Nuff said. We all grow up believing in things that we later find out are wrong (unless we are BS paranormal invesigators whose livlihood depends on gullible people believing in quack science)

kansasmutt 8 years, 4 months ago

cth says )" or voltage readings” –––––––- I'm wondering how a room can have a “voltage reading”. I welcome an explination. Household appliances can have a voltage reading, and it's known to fluctuate depending on the power settings of the device. Scaaaaary. ––––––––— “and changes in magnetic fields help him make logical connections to what might be occurring in a spiritual realm.” I say " Static electricity and lightning ? ) Your body runs on electrical pulses i hope you know. Who knows if its real or not, but i can tell you first hand Virginia is in the house.

cthulhu_4_president 8 years, 4 months ago

"Your body runs on electrical pulses i hope you know."

I do that our bodies generate electricity. What does that have to do with ghosts?

"Who knows if its real or not"

Not me, and I never claim to. I merely state that these paranormal investigators are BS artists who make their living measuring normal things that occur in structures so long as they are attatched to a power grid.

"but i can tell you first hand Virginia is in the house."

This may be true, and if it were proven tobe so it would blow my mind. A new field of science and technology would be born overnight. How we think of the universe, life, and death, will change in an instant.

Of course, that all depends on proof. None found so far, and none to be found scanning for "voltage readings" or magnetic fields.

Noemon 8 years, 4 months ago

Kansasmutt wrote "She helps you do things that cant be done without her and she can keep you from fixing something if she doesnt want it fixed"

I'm intrigued, kansasmutt, what sorts of things did she help you fix? What did she prevent you from fixing? How did she do both of those things. Sounds interesting!

Lenette Hamm 8 years, 4 months ago

I was in that house several times doing maintenance type work when kids were gone over breaks or Christmas. I'd heard the tales and figured it was just a way to increase fraternity members, chalked it up to "legend". However skeptical I may have been, I felt and heard and saw enough to convince me that there's definitely something at work in that house that is beyond the norm or reasonable explanation.

ClaroAtaxia 8 years, 4 months ago

'Looking' for ghosts is as much of a waste of time as 'looking' for God. Grow up, Santa isn't real kids.

Leslie Swearingen 8 years, 4 months ago

I believe in the supernatural. I have never saw a ghost but I have had other things happen to me. We can't see germs or atoms yet we believe they exist because others tell us so and the electron microscope has given us the means to see these things. Many religions around the world have found a way to tap into supernatural forces. Many years must be spent in meditation to get to that point. I don't think supernatural forces are going to respond to calculation and measurement.

beatrice 8 years, 4 months ago

"We can't see germs or atoms yet we believe they exist because others tell us so and the electron microscope has given us the means to see these things."

Um, that would mean we actually CAN see germs and atoms. However, instruments to strengthen our vision are required. No instruments are capable of showing us ghosts, because they don't exist.

cthulhu_4_president 8 years, 4 months ago

Some practical questions about ghosts and hauntings:

1) What is the criteria to become a ghost? Does anyone that dies automatically become a ghost? Do you have to have some emotional reason or stereotypical "thing left undone"? If so, then probably every human would qualify. Since many more people have died on Earth than currently live on it, we would be neck deep in ghosts!

2) Do you want to become a ghost when you die? Does this seem like a very realistic vision of the afterlife: flitting around, sometimes perceivable, so that we lame organic life forms can make a tourist trap out of you? Perhaps this is hell! (not like any one afterlife seems more realistic than another, it's just not how I would choose to spend it)

3) What is the criteria for a place to be haunted? Is it only that someone needs to have died there in some strange, untimely, way? If so, why aren't operating rooms and trauma centers the most haunted places in the world?

4) Do clothes have ghosts? Just wondering, because whenever anyone spots an anthropomorphic ghost, it is always clothed. Seems strange to me.

bangaranggerg 8 years, 4 months ago

Well the reports of people hearing a woman screaming from the rooms can easily be explained by the fact it's a frat house and there was probably an underage girl who passed out drunk and awoke to find a brother forcing himself on her. Occam's Razor.

classclown 8 years, 4 months ago

Send in Scooby and the gang. Then we'll find out it's the old caretaker.

justanobserver 8 years, 4 months ago

"Whatever the answers are to the nature of life and death, you can bet that they are totally unrelated to the questions that I pose, and infinately more wonderous that anything that these jokers will find in their lifetime of scanning for 'voltage readings'."

Sounds like you got it all figured out there Sherlock.

StephanieD123 8 years, 4 months ago

This is ridiculous!!! What an insult to the community!!!Why don't people spend a little more time on something worthwhile, like lets see...... Children getting neglected and abused by their parents and getting away with it because they lie!!!!! then have people lie for them..... then have a social worker that spends 5 minutes interviewing the horrible parents and says there is nothing going on there!!! People spend time on b.s. like this?? Really???? Are they crazy????? Is there help for them???? Wow!!! unbelieveable!!!

cthulhu_4_president 8 years, 4 months ago

"Sounds like you got it all figured out there Sherlock."

Never claimed to, but thanks for the passive-aggressive insult! I'll still be here if you decide that you have a point to make (see? I can do it to!).

kmcd028 8 years, 4 months ago

Regardless of what anyone here says, many of the guys and girls (a sorority rented the house 2 years ago for a year) who have lived in the house have had unexplainable experiences. I have asked my husband about this numerous times and even 15 years older he still stands by a weird experience on the stairwell one night. I will be interested to hear what these guys have to say...if nothing else it makes for a good story!

masonswife 8 years, 4 months ago

A deeper understanding of the forces at work would be helpful...

Try Presnell's site: http://kcparanormal.net

woodenfleaeater 8 years, 4 months ago

I've seen Marley's Ghost ..............

They play every year at the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield.

Alabamastreet 8 years, 4 months ago

It was a fun story. Part of what newspapers do, keep people entertained and informed, that's why there is a sports section and comics.

Some of you folks need to lighten up just a weee little bit.

ps, the Ghost is from either Topeka or the 'Dot.

StephanieD123 8 years, 4 months ago

Spend time doing something worthwhile!!! Volunteer to help someone in need! I have known a few people in my lifetime that claim to be "ghost hunter's". They just weren't quite right. Paranormal or abnormal. I say Abnormal! What a waste of time!!

boboy 8 years, 4 months ago

Come on Guys and Gals! It's okay to have opinion about the possibility of there being Spirits. These people are just trying to find out in their own way what is going on. But at least they are trying to do something about it and not just talking about it. Right or Wrong. Can we say the same just by criticizing them or trying to belittle them. What does that make us.

BigPrune 8 years, 4 months ago

By any chance, is the Sigma Nu house for sale? Someone could turn it into a bed and breakfast. I think people would pay to stay at a place that is supposed to be haunted or freaky. It might turn into a little tourist attraction.

Is Virginia a succubus?

valdezkcmo2001 8 years, 4 months ago

Obviously, it's worthless to argue any points regarding scientific research. Those who do believe will keep believing and those who don't will continue to not believe. There is no amount of evidence, research, etc that will convince a closed mind to become open. However, I do have a comment regarding the many seemingly-bitter people who say "why don't you find something better to do?" Whether or not you believe in ghosts/spirits or not, you are wasting your time berating each other, and in my belief; you are the ones who need to find something better to do. It's sad that so many have nothing better to do than argue passive-agressively in a world whose only hope is the power of love.

jehovah_bob 8 years, 4 months ago

Regardless of the outcome, I will be more inclined to believe the results from Elite Paranormal of Kansas City, because they are Elite.

I hope they'll publish video of this event, its a great past time at our house to watch Ghost Hunters on SyFy and Ghost Adventures on Travel Channel. Drink on every Duude! or Bro!. Make funny noises when they're doing EVPs (that's Electronic Voice Phenomena for those in the know) and laugh when they say "Dude, did you hear that Bro?"

Polly_Gomer 8 years, 4 months ago

"Spend time doing something worthwhile!!! Volunteer to help someone in need! I have known a few people in my lifetime that claim to be “ghost hunter's”. They just weren't quite right. Paranormal or abnormal. I say Abnormal! What a waste of time!!"

Get over yourself.

James Findley 8 years, 4 months ago

Who cares about this frat or their house. I thought these jerks got shut down for hazing! The ghost is probably from some dead pledge they killed and buried in the walls!

MeAndFannieLou 8 years, 4 months ago

In some places, the "fabric" of time is so thin that you can see through it. When we see a bit of the past, we call it a "ghostly apparition." When we see a bit of the future, we call it a "space alien."

Well, it makes about as much sense as hauntings and UFOs, anyway...

Fred Whitehead Jr. 8 years, 4 months ago

Such foolishness. These people ought to get real jobs and contribute to the economy, not to stupid nonsense.

G_E 8 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like a job for Sam and Dean Winchester - they're from Lawrence, after all.

...Or maybe I'm the only one here who watches the (fictional, not "reality") show Supernatural.

wyattearp2 8 years, 4 months ago

paranormal, not!

Chugging Alcohol yes, it makes you see and hear all kinds of things....

kmat 8 years, 4 months ago

I understand people's slepticism about ghosts and I have no idea if there is paranormal activity at this frat.

BUT, if you ever get to live in a house with a spirit you'll change your views.

My grandma's house had a spirit. We were never afraid of it. It liked to get our attn, but never tried to scare us. It flipped light switches on and off. Would pull the long string for the light bulbs high in the ceiling to turn lights on and off. We would watch it do this. It would turn tv's off and on. Once you told it to stop, it would stop. You could sense the presence in certain rooms. Never physicall saw it though.

My sister lives in a very haunted house. She's spoken to a couple of people who grew up in the house and confirmed everything she experiences has been happening in that house (that was built the first year the KS territory was opened up) for decades. They do see ghosts, have an overwhelming smell of old lady perfume fill rooms, music will play when no one is home. People get grabbed while in bed. Electronics turn on for no reason.

I can't explain if it's just residual energy or if there are actually spirits. But, I have experienced many strange things that can't be explained by any other means.

Leslie Swearingen 8 years, 4 months ago

The_Original_Bob What I was thinking of as I wrote was that I have never looked into an electron microscope so I have to take the word of those who have and accept the pictures as real. I don't think NatGeo would lie to me. I was also thinking that as in the past no one knew of these things until the tech improved so to we will learn more and more as computers become more advanced. But, I think the best way to contact a ghost would be face to face-so to speak. My faith is strong and secure so I wouldn't have anything to worry about.

justanobserver 8 years, 4 months ago

This is ridiculous!!! What an insult to the community!!!Why don't people spend a little more time on something worthwhile, like lets see…… Children getting neglected and abused by their parents and getting away with it because they lie!!!!! then have people lie for them….. then have a social worker that spends 5 minutes interviewing the horrible parents and says there is nothing going on there!!! People spend time on b.s. like this?? Really???? Are they crazy????? Is there help for them???? Wow!!! unbelieveable!!!

Lighten up there Francis!

JayCat_67 8 years, 4 months ago

“Spend time doing something worthwhile!!!

Yeah, like trolling for fluff articles on the local rag's webpage and spewing self-righteous b.s. about how the subject of the article is such a waste.

Is that what you meant???

BigPrune 8 years, 4 months ago

Someone wrote that her ashes were placed behind the brick next to the fireplace and a plaque now sits on the spot. How convenient. Why would someone do this to a dead person? Why would someone go to the trouble to "brick in" someone's ashes, then place a plaque? Of course this means there aren't any bones. This sounds more like a prank than anything. "There's a dead chick walled up in the house." Bet that gets young imaginations worked up especially with the age of the house. Bowels in an uproar.
Such B.S.

Bob-RJ Burkhart 8 years, 4 months ago

As an undergraduate KU B-School student (1963-65) I commuted daily to Mount Oread from Sigma Nu's West Hills Stubbs Mansion without encountering any haunted spirits ...

For more background, see: http://futurethought.pbworks.com/Stubbs-Mansion

More recent archives research indicates these recurring urban legends surfaced sometime after 1998 when "Haunted Kansas" (ISBN: 070060930X) was published. "Evil Kansas" script writers adapted the unsubstantiated "Ghost of Virginia" scenario which inspired University Daily Kansan (UDK) reporters to relax their baseline "fact checking" practices.

I checked Kansas University's Watson Library microfilm records for the Lawrence Journal & Lawrence World that merged about the time the alleged "Windmill Hill" death happened in Spring 1911. I found the Stubbs were authentic "social responsibility pathfinders" whose community stewardship and political leadership have a global reach.

Results of ongoing KU Continuing Education "memertics research" about mindshifting methods can be found using Google Search keywords" "Implicit Association Test" Newsweek 2009 Campus ... IAT-i4CQuest: http://www.google.com/search?q="Implicit+Association+Test"+Newsweek+2009+Campus+IAT

By working with Kaw Valley Heritage Alliance (KVHA) & Partnership for National Trail Systems (PNTS), the Freedom's Frontier National Heritage Area's US National Park Service Master Plan now provides a more authentic "tolerance-based" framework for shifting public perceptions.