Archive for Friday, October 10, 2008

Saturday’s KU game will test effort to ban obscene chant

There are now two questions for the upcoming KU game: will the Jayhawks win, and will the students honor the coach's request?

October 10, 2008

Kansas University students aren't so sure how well head football coach Mark Mangino's plea for fans to forgo a foul phrase will fare. For many, there's little optimism the controversial chant will go away.

The coach sent a video to students by e-mail on Thursday, asking them to quit yelling the explicit chant - "Rip his (expletive) head off" -- that's traditionally shouted after kickoffs.

Some KU students, like freshman Carter Renfrow, said they found Mangino's plea to be humorous.

"No one's going to listen to it," said Renfrow, of Tulsa, Okla. "It's going to make everyone do it more. They're just going to yell louder."

Other students said some would honor Mangino's request.

"He's got a lot of influence around us now," said Nathan Hergott, Overland Park sophomore. "Some people will : respect his wishes to make us a classier school."

The true test will come Saturday, when the KU football team plays for the first time since Mangino's request was distributed. Student leaders behind the efforts to remove the chant will be waiting with great anticipation to see what transpires.

"I don't know if it will work the first kickoff or not," said KU senior Adam McGonigle, Student Senate president. "Whether or not it works (at first), I do think long term that this chant is something that we don't want representing this university."

Efforts to terminate the tradition came from leaders of the student newspaper, who initiated a meeting to brainstorm ideas that would prevent the chant from reaching the ears of young children at the games and national television audiences at home. Saturday's game will be broadcast live on ESPN2, Sunflower Broadband Cable channel 34.

Mangino's video will be broadcast on the big screen at Kivisto Field before the 11:30 a.m. game against the University of Colorado. But some students said that's likely to only add fuel to the fire.

"I have a feeling that there's going to be an outburst similar to the chant to the video," said Julia Urban, a KU junior from Kansas City, Mo. "It'll have a reverse effect. If not, it's going to spread the word about saying that chant."

Some students are trying to brainstorm things that might go in place of the naughty word.

"Rip his freaking head off?" said Amber Wheeler, an Olathe freshman. "I don't know."

"Maybe like 'forking' or something," Urban said. "Something where we get the gist of what they mean, but it's going to essentially be the same thing."

McGonigle said the group of student leaders will brainstorm other ideas for convincing the crowd to remove the vulgar vocabulary, if things don't happen the way they'd like on Saturday.

Comments

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 5 years, 6 months ago

I thought it got louder as the game went on until people started leaving. Guess the hand wringers will have the opportunity to stay busy for a while...

Deja Coffin 5 years, 6 months ago

I think if the other fans keep booing them then by the end of this season the chant will be gone. I do think the penalty flag would also end it real fast.

jhawks360 5 years, 6 months ago

Seemed to be only about half as loud.... and other fans booed the student section when they did the chant the first time.

jhawks1234 5 years, 6 months ago

they didn't stop the chant heard it loud on espn2

ChrisNyberg 5 years, 6 months ago

I wonder how long I would be allowed in the stadium if I yelled rip his _ _ _ _ head off, on the west side of the stadium.

macon47 5 years, 6 months ago

rude crude andsocially unattractivethat pretty much sumsup what these kids actlike when they leave homeand get away from thier parentsvery immature, and notthe proffessional class imagethat kansas wants to projectsend the jerks to mu

gwjayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone else think that alcohol plays a bit of a factor in this, as well? A good portion of the students are intoxicated in the stands, which seems to make profanities flow a bit more freely than sobriety.

elkwc36 5 years, 6 months ago

Honestly, I think the refs should just throw penalty flags for 'unsportsmanlike conduct' on the home team until the students knock it off. I agree this is one way. If they penalize the team enough someone will step up and make them stop. I've heard this language more with the young adults applying for jobs. What many don't realize is it keeps them from getting hired and in some cases is the behind the scenes reason they lose their job. An employer has way like laying off and employee, ect if he feels he needs to. And the last thing an employer wants is an employee talking like that around the public and other employees. This apparently innocent chant can have consequences for sometime in their lives. Another option would be to hire some extra security and to escort them out and remove some student priveleges for a year. After a while the others will shape up. Kids look to see how far they can push an issue and if no one set and enforces limits they will keep going.

mr_economy 5 years, 6 months ago

Streisand Effect in real life. Check it out.

Bob Forer 5 years, 6 months ago

karmax wrote "I'm wondering if it's less an example of the class of KU students and more an example of people that age in general. Seems like there's much more blatant rudeness and general public disrespect in that age group across the country, not just Kansas. I was that age less than two decades ago and I sincerely don't recall my peers being that obnoxious~at least so openly"Kar, good point, but I would go further. I don't think its just symptomatic of that age. I think the entire American culture has slipped a notch or two over the past few decades. Its becoming more and more hedonistic, self-absorbed, rude, self-centered, arrogant, and selfish. Perhaps the price of freedom? Who knows?

thinkgreen 5 years, 6 months ago

Seriously. One way to quickly cure the inappropratie chant- refs should issue a technical foul to the fans- after all check the ticket stub- "Kansas Athletics Inc. further reserves the right to eject and prosecute any person whose conduct is deemed unbecoming (e.g. throwing objects, abusive or vulgar language)." A 10 yd penalty would go a long way to silence a (immature) fan.

jwppd07 5 years, 6 months ago

As an alum, sitting across the students, it's embarressing. Especially when USA today paper did an article last year on the "KU Chant" for the nation to see. Being a KU grad is an honor, as most students will eventually realize. Please respect Coach Mangino's wishes & eliminate the behavior.

nobody1793 5 years, 6 months ago

Bring back Terry Allen. Back in those days, you could hear a cricket chirp on game day.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 6 months ago

I could always have my 4 year old daughter tell everyone, "don't say F, F is a bad word, we're not 'posed to say F***" That's what she tells her father anytime he drops the F bomb. I think she really believes that if you're telling someone not to say it, then you can say it as many times as you want.

Outsidelookingin 5 years, 6 months ago

If the students keep chanting this, KU will want to copyright it, and file lawsuits against anyone who says it.

Hawk6643 5 years, 6 months ago

Last year at the MU game I had 60 year old men yelling horrible things at me and saying horrible things to everyone...I don't think this is an age issue. I think this is an issue no matter what your age is if rivalry is involved.

seattlehawk_78 5 years, 6 months ago

Given the success that Coach Mangino has brought to KU football, my concern about ignoring his plea might be construed as a lack of respect to CM. Given the state of affairs when he took over and where this program is now, I think he deserves better. Seriously people, is this the best you can come up with? It has all the cleverness, originality, and crudeness of a drunken mizwho fan.

macon47 5 years, 6 months ago

crude is crudekick them out of the stadiumlet the aclu bail them outthey dont have anything else to do

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 6 months ago

"davidsmom (Anonymous) says: Using that chant just proves how immature the students are. In the "real world" unless you are in a low-life, classless field, actual adults in respectable positions don't talk like that. "Right... Which is why they are students and not "actual adults in respectable positions, whatever that means.

karmaxs3 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm wondering if it's less an example of the class of KU students and more an example of people that age in general. Seems like there's much more blatant rudeness and general public disrespect in that age group across the country, not just Kansas. I was that age less than two decades ago and I sincerely don't recall my peers being that obnoxious~at least so openly.

davidsmom 5 years, 6 months ago

A lot of MU fans keep saying that KU fans are classless. Keep using this chant and prove them right.

davidsmom 5 years, 6 months ago

Using that chant just proves how immature the students are. In the "real world" unless you are in a low-life, classless field, actual adults in respectable positions don't talk like that. There are creative ways for educated people with a wide and varied vocabulary to express themselves. Sinking into profanity is never necessary. Grow up.

Hawk6643 5 years, 6 months ago

I wasn't talking about them getting arrested nor did I say that didn't I. I simply stated that because there is no way for them to actually stop them from saying it and getting hundreds of college kids to ban together and stop saying something that they have done for quite some time is unrealistic.

hometownhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Hawk6643, I don't know how many times this has to be explained... this issue has NOTHING to do with freedom of speech. Nobody's getting arrested. People are saying that it's not classy or appropriate. Anyone who brings up freedom of speech has obviously not given an ounce of actual thought to the issue.

macon47 5 years, 6 months ago

anyone who cannot conduct themselvesin a sportsmanship manner shouldbe asked to leave.just because you are away fromhome and your mommy aNd daddydoes not give you the right to be a jerk, if that is important to yougo to columbia missouriku does not want yourdaddys money

Hawk6643 5 years, 6 months ago

This is why we have free speech...the students can do whatever they want and still will no matter what. This is like the trying to replace the Muck Fizzou shirts. They came up with a stupid slogan to replace it and everyone still wears the shirt anyway. They should just take the F word out of the chant and leave it at that.

jhawks360 5 years, 6 months ago

It might be louder at first, who knows.Honestly, I think the refs should just throw penalty flags for 'unsportsmanlike conduct' on the home team until the students knock it off.

roger_o_thornhill 5 years, 6 months ago

He he --cursing in public is funny -- he he. Seriously, when did 12 year olds start getting into KU. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but imitation of anything associated with Rob Schnieder or that other dummy, what's his name...Sandler is just sad.Originality is much better--like the whole, rather obtuse, "Rock Chalk" business. It is great because it makes no sense. And nobody else can do it! See, that's what's not getting through to some--or maybe lots of these folks agree with my first sentence. He he.

autie 5 years, 6 months ago

Even though I posted against the chant..which was not a chant on YouTube..just a singel phrase...I can almost be sure that on the first KU kickoff, it will be louder..nothing like telling a bunch of kids to not do that...

hail2oldku 5 years, 6 months ago

Brad Maestas 5 years, 6 months ago

Forking? XDBack when I was in the marching band about the worst thing you had to endure was the relentless, "Chomp, chomp, pa-chewy chomp's" from the tuba section. What is the world coming to?!

FFAF 5 years, 6 months ago

I don't think Mangino cares that much, I think he was just the person KU uses to connect with the student body.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

Tho' not an organized sports fan, I'd love to be there just to join in that chorus!

lsense 5 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, what an awesome approach, and an awesome role-model for stopping the chant:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAYpA...

FFAF 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm a KU Student who isn't going to say it and never has said it. Let me rephrase that, I'm a KU Graduate Student who isn't going to say it. This looks really bad, and does nothing good for the school.

CarterFaucheaux 5 years, 6 months ago

budwhysir 5 years, 6 months ago

Look, Im not sure KU is in hillbilly land however, shouldnt we be concerned about the radio and tv stations using profanity? Just recently laws where passed allowing use of certain words on tv and radio. Not sure you could go anywhere and not hear a bad word.I agree they should listen to him it would be very disrespectfull to both the coach and KU. Think of what we stand for after all, we had that big parade celebrating, oh wait that was basketball, sorry. What was it we did last year? oh yeah won the fruitbowl? No just the orange bowl I think. AnyhowLoose the bad words people, enough already

macon47 5 years, 6 months ago

JUST KICK THEIR WORTHLESSBUTTS OUT OF THE STADIUM

Brent Cagle 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree, but in the mind of the typical student, no one else exists, let alone matters. Who cares if they only comprise a small percentage of the Memorial Stadium crowd, and a miniscule percentage of the total viewing/listening audience; if the other 99.99999999999999% of the people watching/listening to the game are offended by their antics, well then I guess that's just their problem, right? Maybe when they get out of school and realize that the world does not revolve around them, they'll see how childish they were. But I doubt it.

chadku 5 years, 6 months ago

This is really bad if they do not listen to coach. Very disrespectful. I think that they could come up with something else and be just as loud. I am a recent grad of only a few years ago and I find this embarrassing.

calvin 5 years, 6 months ago

I wish all of these students realized how bad they make KU look by doing this. They just reinforce the sterotype that Kanas is full of backward hillbillies. It is not funny, just really stupid.