Archive for Wednesday, July 18, 2007

T rides will be free on Sidewalk Sale day

July 18, 2007

Sidewalk Sale shoppers can ride the T for free Thursday, along with anyone else in Lawrence.

The Lawrence Transit System will waive fares on all eight fixed routes, seven of which run through the downtown area. The system will run on its regular hours: 6 a.m.-8 p.m.

For information about schedules and routes, call 312-7054 or visit www.lawrencetransit.org. Riders also can ask T drivers for help and information.

Comments

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 5 months ago

These rides will not be "free." They will be paid for by the taxpayer.

De-fund the Emp-T.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 5 months ago

The T rides will be good for retail business,expose T rides to many and assist in reducing traffic congestion. It is a savior to many who cannot drive for one reason or another or perhaps some would rather not contribute to traffic congestion not to mention the high price of gasoline.

The T is not empty. With 421,864 one way trips and 55,176 T lift trips in 2006 how can the T be empty? 72% of those trips are associated with employment,education and medical services which does not make for an empty T. Quite the contrary. Public transportation is a necessity and is commonplace in college towns.

The T has received multiple awards from the Federal Transit Administration due to annual growth in ridership well above the national public transportation average.

The T benefits a community as it improves a populations mobility, improves the quality of life and allows many to maintain a certain amount of independence not to mention supporting economic growth in our community. You go T!

The community should say hats off to Cliff Galante our Public Transit Administrator who works diligently( damn hard) in an effort to provide a quality service. Public Transportation provides a good bang for the tax buck.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

insert: long list of reasons public transportation is good and somewhat necessary

Insert: "Waaaahhhhh!!!! I want my $30-$35 a year back! Waaaaahhhhhh!!!

(But who can blame them? With all that commuting, I'm sure that single extra tank of gas is the difference between solvency and bankruptcy for most of the complainers.)

cowboy 7 years, 5 months ago

I guess its not that big of a deal because the system generates a piddly $500 per day in revenue while costing close to $7500 per day to operate.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 5 months ago

Permanent. They are sharing the maintenance facility as well.

Bubbles 7 years, 5 months ago

That means riders will have and extra 50 cents to blow downtown!

Multiply that times the number of riders, say 6, and thats $3!

Ragingbear 7 years, 5 months ago

packrat 7 years, 5 months ago

I did the math about 13 people per hour per route.

I don't think that the tax payers should be subsidizing a free day for the T. Merchants should cover the costs.

At least it is not only a free ride to downtown. That would clearly show favoritism.

I wish that there was a light rail line to KC.

vinividivici 7 years, 5 months ago

i must say that i use the T twice a day, to and from work, and it has been a life saver to me. I've been using it diligently for two months now and i've never seen an empty bus. and bubbles, it will $4.50 more that will be spent down town. the fare went up to 75 cents and i believe it's going up to $1 in December. even at that rate it's only about $40 a month for me to get to and from work and that's a heck of a lot less than you're paying for gas!

Bubbles 7 years, 5 months ago

75 cents! That's great news! That means people will have even more money to spend downtown!

machiavelli 7 years, 5 months ago

"Anyone notice that the same people that keep saying that nobody rides the bus system are the same ones that keep ranting that Tiller is a killer, and that we should have bible study required in schools? Typical thinking of small minded individuals. They don't like progress."

I agree, and their logic (typical anti-public subsidy) is incredibly short-sighted on this issue. While it may be true that the subsidizing of public transportation is IN CERTAIN INSTANCES a money losing proposition ON PAPER, the aggregate benefits of these types of subsidies don't always show up--on paper--unless subjected to more rigorous criteria.

In other words, it's a more complicated affair than just measuring ridership vs. costs.

It could very well be true that the T should be called the Emp-T (love it) at times, but these types of subsidies can also be looked at as investments, because the fact of the matter is that the existence of such things as affordable public transportation, a kick-ass downtown, good schools, etc. all factor in to Lawrence's desirability as a place to live. Start taking these things away, and Lawrence becomes just another Overland Park or Lenexa. These things matter.

But, I don't know why I'm even wasting my breath trying to educate these people. Last time I checked, liberals outnumber Republickans in Lawrence. If they would rather live amongst god-fearin' and gun-totin' folk who, in their incredibly misguided, self-contradictory, and simplistic world-view believe that government and public funding is "evil" (while simultaneously doing every unethical thing imaginable to control the very thing that they view as "evil"), and who think that free enterprise is the answer to each and every problem put to mankind and cannot possibly, ever, be wrong, then let them move to Olathe. I hear they have an abundance of Super-Wal Marts, uncontrolled sprawl, and general suburban malaise there.

vinividivici 7 years, 5 months ago

machiavelli 7 years, 5 months ago

"While the costs of the T do show it is an endeavor that loses profit, what about all the other benefits? Kids, the elderly, adults with DD, and 20-somethings like myself who are having some bad luck all have a safe, reliable, affordable way to get to and from work and activities. I mean, I'm living hand to mouth. If I had to take a cab to the grocery store, thats $16(there and back) I could have spent on food. Instead I take the T and it cost me $1.50. Spending $16 a day on transportation is absolutely absurd when you're making $8.50 an hour."

This is exactly what I was getting at in my last post. The T may not be profitable in strictly dollar terms, but if we lose the T, we eventually lose folks like this fellow here, then the city loses its character, then pretty soon Lawrence starts to look like Olathe. I don't know about you, but I consider spending any amount of time in places like Olathe tantamount to spending time in hell.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 5 months ago

One day when the complainers cannot get around so well public transportation will be a beautiful sight.