Faulty gas valve thought to be cause of underground booming sounds in west Lawrence
The city believes it has addressed an issue that was causing some west Lawrence residents to hear a booming sound coming from underground over the weekend.
City spokesman Porter Arneill said Tuesday afternoon that Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical responded to concerns raised this weekend about a possible gas leak. Arneill said department personnel discovered a faulty gas valve for a pool heater in the 1700 block of Prestwick Drive, which they believed to be the cause of the booms in the area.
Arneill said that if residents hear such sounds in the future they should call 911 or the fire department.