Archive for Friday, October 26, 2012

State orders Children’s Playpen in Lawrence closed amid drug sale allegations

October 26, 2012, 12:13 p.m. Updated October 26, 2012, 2:50 p.m.

The Children's Playpen, a daycare operated out of this home at 766 Lake St., was shut down by Kansas officials Oct. 25 after police found drugs at the home.

The state has issued an emergency order to close Children's Playpen, a group day care home at 766 Lake St., where Lawrence police discovered what they said they think were drugs and drug paraphernalia.

Related document

Order to close day care ( .PDF )

Kansas Department of Health and Environment Secretary Robert Moser said he determined the order is "necessary to protect children in Licensee's care from a substantial threat to their health and safety."

The day care — which received a license renewal Oct. 1 — is licensed to Tiffany C. Hubbard and is categorized as a "Group Day Care Home."

Early Wednesday morning, the Lawrence Police Department conducted a search of the day care regarding allegations of drugs being sold there. Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley said the search of the home was part of an on-going drug investigation and that Hubbard was the focus of that investigation.

Police found drugs and paraphernalia and contacted state officials following the search, McKinley said.

Hubbard was not arrested, and McKinley said police are waiting for test results on the drugs — which were sent to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation — before making any arrests. Hubbard has no arrest or conviction record in Kansas, according to a KBI records search.

Police did arrest Edward L. Newton III, 43, Lawrence, who was at the home during the search. McKinley said the arrest was for two out-of-county warrants, and was not related to the drug investigation. Newton was also arrested Sept. 3 for failing to appear in court on a Lawrence municipal case. Newton was released from jail on a $500 bond.

State records show that a complaint about the day care was made in March 2010, but further information about the nature of the complaint was not available.

The emergency shut-down order can be appealed to the secretary of KDHE.

A phone call to the day care went unanswered.

Comments

sbward1 2 years ago

My child's daycare keeps getting harassed and inspected because they have a pet pot bellied pig, seems like the inspectors need to focus their attention somewhere else and this might have been caught much sooner.

TSP 2 years ago

The original call was in March 2010 ~ Did they print that correctly? RIDECULOUS! It should have been handled a long time ago.

DillonBarnes 2 years ago

No, the article says a complaint was made about the day care, but doesn't specify what the complaint was about. There is no way of knowing if the two are related.

Nikki May 2 years ago

A complaint can be anything. I've heard parents call in to report a center or home because their contract was terminated for non-payment. They will say something is wrong and it may not be. Those complaints ARE investigated. This is likely unrelated, but not necessarily different. The only way to find out is to request the records.

Matthew Herbert 2 years ago

this happens a LOT more than people even want to know. My old neighbor, who was three times convicted of drug charges, ran a "home daycare" (I place this in quotations as I'm relatively sure there was never any formal licensing/inspection process).

Bursting 2 years ago

I'm so over this war on pot

meatheadwisdom 2 years ago

Yeah, and I'm so over feeling like I should be able to send my child to a childcare where I can expect them to be safe and not around illegal drugs (of any kind), drug paraphernalia (whether it be papers, lighters, pipes or syringes) and drug sales (which we know NEVER go badly either at the point of sale or later).

Liberty275 2 years ago

That's why there are zoning laws.

jafs 2 years ago

Libertarians are generally opposed to those.

And, zoning laws don't protect against bad behavior on the part of the caregivers in their own home, right?

Liberty275 2 years ago

OK, I'll explain. First off, the war on drugs needs to end. America loses that war more and more every day - and people are dying for no good reason. American citizens are dying for no good reason.

When drugs are legalized, zoning laws can insure drugs aren't sold within 1000 feet of a school or daycare.

I've never heard that libertarians are against zoning laws. Where did you hear that?

Nikki May 2 years ago

While this is a valid point, the thing is, at this moment in time it IS illegal. Further, I would not be ok with a caregiver using legal substances, such as cigarettes and alcohol with my children in their care. In fact, both are against licensing regulations.

livefoniks 2 years ago

You'd think having an adequate supply of pot on hand would be a requirement in that line of work.

Liberty275 2 years ago

Is babysitting that bad?

sbward1 2 years ago

If someone feels they need pot to run a daycare, they're obviously in the wrong line of work. It takes a lot of patience and it takes the right people to do it. It's not just a means to earn a living, it's parents who put the most trust into you to make sure their child is safe and healthy.

meatheadwisdom 2 years ago

BTW the article says drugs and paraphernalia, it doesn't say pot.

Sheila Hooper White 2 years ago

All home day cares are not bad. I have had the privilege of running a day care out of my home for 13 years. There are some good ones out there and parents need to do their homework. You can go only and find out if they have any complaints. Please, parents, check them out. Ask around. Over the years the only complaints I have received have been when parents terminated their contract and they still owed me money. Once they receive court papers they get on the phone and try to make a complaint. I then get a surprise inspection, for me not a big deal b/c I follow the regs to the tee! I've had this happen to me 3 times in 13 years. One couple still owes me over $700, another family $150 and the other paid up b/c the judge found in my favor.Most of us don't this for the money, we do it b/c that's what we love to do. I have never had to advertise, all of my clients are by word of mouth, from parents of child who have been in my care or still are in my care. My families love the care I give their children and they couldn't imagine having to take them somewhere else. Most of the children in my care, leave everyday kicking and screaming b/c they want to stay......so I must be doing something right.

Bring on your comments, I'm sure there will be some negative ones. I will continue to be an early childhood educator, I will continue my pursuit of my CDA and then move on to getting my associate in early childhood. I work very hard at what I do and most people couldn't walk in my shoes.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

---okay, so why isn't lil miss hubbard in the hooscow? seems like she'd be quite a flight risk right about now!

"children's play pen" indeed. lol with all kinds of toys for all kinds of girls and boys!

hey, I could write her new ad campaign! lol!

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

Just speculating, but maybe she wasn't arrested until they determine exactly what that white powder (or whatever) was.

BamaboyinKS 2 years ago

I happen to know this lady and I just can't figure out how she keeps getting off with the stuff she gets away with. Lawrence Law enforcement and courts need to rethink who they are not arresting. Just think of what thoses kids in her care have seen wow and we say we want our kids to better themselves and be better kids. People we need to check people out who are responsible for our kids.