Archive for Friday, October 26, 2012

State orders Children’s Playpen in Lawrence closed amid drug sale allegations

October 26, 2012, 12:13 p.m. Updated October 26, 2012, 2:50 p.m.

The Children's Playpen, a daycare operated out of this home at 766 Lake St., was shut down by Kansas officials Oct. 25 after police found drugs at the home.

The state has issued an emergency order to close Children's Playpen, a group day care home at 766 Lake St., where Lawrence police discovered what they said they think were drugs and drug paraphernalia.

Related document

Order to close day care ( .PDF )

Kansas Department of Health and Environment Secretary Robert Moser said he determined the order is "necessary to protect children in Licensee's care from a substantial threat to their health and safety."

The day care — which received a license renewal Oct. 1 — is licensed to Tiffany C. Hubbard and is categorized as a "Group Day Care Home."

Early Wednesday morning, the Lawrence Police Department conducted a search of the day care regarding allegations of drugs being sold there. Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley said the search of the home was part of an on-going drug investigation and that Hubbard was the focus of that investigation.

Police found drugs and paraphernalia and contacted state officials following the search, McKinley said.

Hubbard was not arrested, and McKinley said police are waiting for test results on the drugs — which were sent to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation — before making any arrests. Hubbard has no arrest or conviction record in Kansas, according to a KBI records search.

Police did arrest Edward L. Newton III, 43, Lawrence, who was at the home during the search. McKinley said the arrest was for two out-of-county warrants, and was not related to the drug investigation. Newton was also arrested Sept. 3 for failing to appear in court on a Lawrence municipal case. Newton was released from jail on a $500 bond.

State records show that a complaint about the day care was made in March 2010, but further information about the nature of the complaint was not available.

The emergency shut-down order can be appealed to the secretary of KDHE.

A phone call to the day care went unanswered.

Comments

BamaboyinKS 1 year, 5 months ago

I happen to know this lady and I just can't figure out how she keeps getting off with the stuff she gets away with. Lawrence Law enforcement and courts need to rethink who they are not arresting. Just think of what thoses kids in her care have seen wow and we say we want our kids to better themselves and be better kids. People we need to check people out who are responsible for our kids.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

---okay, so why isn't lil miss hubbard in the hooscow? seems like she'd be quite a flight risk right about now!

"children's play pen" indeed. lol with all kinds of toys for all kinds of girls and boys!

hey, I could write her new ad campaign! lol!

Sheila Hooper White 1 year, 5 months ago

All home day cares are not bad. I have had the privilege of running a day care out of my home for 13 years. There are some good ones out there and parents need to do their homework. You can go only and find out if they have any complaints. Please, parents, check them out. Ask around. Over the years the only complaints I have received have been when parents terminated their contract and they still owed me money. Once they receive court papers they get on the phone and try to make a complaint. I then get a surprise inspection, for me not a big deal b/c I follow the regs to the tee! I've had this happen to me 3 times in 13 years. One couple still owes me over $700, another family $150 and the other paid up b/c the judge found in my favor.Most of us don't this for the money, we do it b/c that's what we love to do. I have never had to advertise, all of my clients are by word of mouth, from parents of child who have been in my care or still are in my care. My families love the care I give their children and they couldn't imagine having to take them somewhere else. Most of the children in my care, leave everyday kicking and screaming b/c they want to stay......so I must be doing something right.

Bring on your comments, I'm sure there will be some negative ones. I will continue to be an early childhood educator, I will continue my pursuit of my CDA and then move on to getting my associate in early childhood. I work very hard at what I do and most people couldn't walk in my shoes.

meatheadwisdom 1 year, 5 months ago

BTW the article says drugs and paraphernalia, it doesn't say pot.

livefoniks 1 year, 6 months ago

You'd think having an adequate supply of pot on hand would be a requirement in that line of work.

Bursting 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm so over this war on pot

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 6 months ago

this happens a LOT more than people even want to know. My old neighbor, who was three times convicted of drug charges, ran a "home daycare" (I place this in quotations as I'm relatively sure there was never any formal licensing/inspection process).

TSP 1 year, 6 months ago

The original call was in March 2010 ~ Did they print that correctly? RIDECULOUS! It should have been handled a long time ago.

KansasLiberal 1 year, 6 months ago

Wasn't this the plot from one of the Cheech and Chong movies?

sbward1 1 year, 6 months ago

My child's daycare keeps getting harassed and inspected because they have a pet pot bellied pig, seems like the inspectors need to focus their attention somewhere else and this might have been caught much sooner.