Archive for Friday, October 19, 2012

Statehouse Live: Endorsements show rift in Republican Party

October 19, 2012

— Six Republican state senators have endorsed Senate Democratic Leader Anthony Hensley, and a Republican group of former legislators announced support of a bipartisan group of legislative candidates.

The endorsements illustrate the rift in the Republican Party between conservatives led by Gov. Sam Brownback and moderate Republicans.

Barker added, "I find it disturbing that several of these Democrat-endorsing senators continue to serve on the board of the Kansas Republican Senatorial Committee and, therefore, have a fiduciary duty to support all Republican candidates. Their conduct and lack of fidelity to the party they voluntarily joined is problematic to say the least."

Hensley, of Topeka, faces Republican Casey Moore, also of Topeka, in the race for the 19th Senate District, which includes western Douglas County.

Moderate Republican leaders in the Senate praised Hensley for working across the aisle on major issues, such as passage of the comprehensive transportation program and support of school funding.

"If re-elected, I trust him to continue making decisions that are in the best interest of the people of Kansas," said Senate Vice President John Vratil, R-Leawood.

In addition to Vratil, Hensley was endorsed by Dwayne Umbarger of Thayer, Jean Schodorf of Wichita, Pete Brungardt of Salina, Roger Reitz of Manhattan and Ruth Teichman of Stafford. All were defeated by conservatives in the GOP primary in August, except for Vratil who did not seek re-election.

Meanwhile, a group called Traditional Republicans for Common Sense recognized as leaders six Democratic and six Republican candidates for the state Senate.

"Kansans deserve leaders that are focused on finding solutions to the challenges that face our state and will serve as common sense, independent voices for our communities,” said Rochelle Chronister, who has served as former assistant majority leader in the House and chair of the Kansas Republican Party. “What Kansans don’t need more of are rubberstamp politicians," she said.

The group recognized the candidates as advocates for children, schools and the elderly.

All the Democrats applauded by the group face conservative Republicans in state Senate races in the Nov. 6 election. The Democrats are state Sens. Tom Holland of Baldwin City; Laura Kelly of Topeka; and Kelly Kultala of Kansas City; and Tom Hawk of Manhattan, Lisa Johnston of Overland Park and Juanita Roy of Lenexa.

The Republicans are state Sens. Jay Emler of Lindsborg; Jeff Longbine of Emporia; Carolyn McGinn of Sedgwick; Vicki Schmidt of Topeka; and state Reps. Kay Wolf of Prairie Village; and Elaine Bowers of Concordia, who are seeking state Senate seats.

Comments

ShePrecedes 1 year, 9 months ago

We didn’t get to choose those candidates of the two party system. While we may well naturally narrow our choices, in the case of politics, our choices are unnecessarily narrowed for us. I will not accept that anymore. It is a choice of black or white (and I am not talking about skin here) when the world functions in full color and a vast number of shades of grey.

I will not accept these choices. And vote for one or the other seems to be to bring about the very same things, … enslavement.

I will not stand for it. I will not sit for it. I will not lay for it. I demand change and I will make change.

I want a party that is IN the aisle!

At this point, I will fight monetary (both parties are funded by international banking) and labor enslavement (Chambers of Commerce). I will fight it with the core of my being!!!

BigAl 1 year, 9 months ago

This is not the Republican party of Bob Dole, Ronald Reagan or Barry Goldwater. Today's Republican party insists on "party before country". The leaders of today's republican party are only interested in their own power. "Compromise" has become a dirty word. The actions cited in this article confirms my point.

Centerville 1 year, 9 months ago

Call the liberal waaaaaambulance!

situveux1 1 year, 9 months ago

Too funny, six loser candidates (literally) endorsing another loser candidate.

tomatogrower 1 year, 9 months ago

Please, moderate Republicans. Please take back your party. I hate having to vote a straight ticket.

headdoctor 1 year, 9 months ago

Most of the old Republicans are dead, in a nursing home, or relaxing in Belize. The closest thing we have to the old Republicans still mixing it up in politics is a sizable cross section of the Democratic party and a good sized group of the Independents.

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

Man, I wish we were the sort of state that voted in actual independents.

1 year, 9 months ago

"Statehouse Live: Endorsements show RINO accusation was accurate."

There, fixed it for you.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 9 months ago

So, what is a "real Republican?" Would you deny that the Republican Party has moved considerably to the right over the last 25 years? Would Barry Goldwater even qualify as a Republican these days?

1 year, 9 months ago

Of course I would not deny the GOP has moved to the right, but I don't make a virtue out of belonging to a party, either. Those elected officials who were called RINOs and objected, could only object by claiming the mantle of Republican for themselves, whatever that means. They claimed to be real Republicans, not Republicans-only-if-I-win or only-if-the-party-agrees. To object to RINO is to assert that partisanship is a virtue and you have it, squared, cubed, and loaded with gee juice. It means you promise to take your lumps and hope to win in the primaries next time.

To endorse someone outside the party just proves that the accusation was correct in those cases - they were only Republicans so long as it personally benefited them. The irony is exquisite because it was the moderates who screamed at conservatives for supporting Joan Finney over their governor Mike Hayden. I know, because back then I was a Republican for Finney.

I'm neither a Republican nor a doctrinaire Conservative today, but I can say that I don't mind seeing the old Kansas GOP leadership kicked to the curb. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 9 months ago

" they were only Republicans so long as it personally benefited them. "

The current defining characteristic of being a Republican these days is doing only that which personally benefits oneself. So I guess that makes them real Republicans, right?

63BC 1 year, 9 months ago

"They are who we thought they were."

---ex-NFL Coach Dennis Green

weeslicket 1 year, 9 months ago

Clay Barker, executive director of the Kansas Republican Party: "... that several of these Democrat-endorsing senators continue to serve on the board of the Kansas Republican Senatorial Committee and, therefore, have a fiduciary duty to support all Republican candidates."

fiduciary duty? guess that depends on who the "principal" is.
(don't let your principles get in the way)

wastewatcher 1 year, 9 months ago

All of these LIBERALS who endorsed ULTRA LIBERA HENSLEY were rejected by the voters of their own districts, it lacks common sense that anyone outside of their districts would value their input. HENSLEY is a teacher who doesn't teach but takes a paycheck and works for higher taxes so he can get a higher paycheck not to teach. HENSLEY SHOULD GO!!!!!!!!!

Carol Bowen 1 year, 9 months ago

"Clay Barker, executive director of the Kansas Republican Party, criticized the Republican state senators who endorsed Democrats. "These individuals were, and continue to be, out of touch with their district's Republican voters," Barker said."

Looks to me like Mr. Barker fears an open election.

George_Braziller 1 year, 9 months ago

I think the Kansas Republican party will be in for a big surprise on election day. All the traditional conservative Republicans I know say the platform has been pushed too far even for them.

roadwarrior 1 year, 9 months ago

I hate to get my hopes up but wouldn't that be great ? I've sat in on some of the Lynn Jenkins conference calls, WAY too many Kansas republicans participating in those calls expressed some really bizarre notions about our world. Brownback seems to bring the crazies brazenly out into the open - then validates them. shudder.