Archive for Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Kansas activist launches effort to recall Kobach

Topeka activist Sonny Scroggins, right, formally launched an effort Wednesday to recall Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach. He said Kobach has been "derelict in his duties." State law makes it difficult to recall officials.

October 17, 2012

— A Topeka activist formally launched an effort Wednesday to recall Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, but state law creates huge hurdles to forcing an election.

Sonny Scroggins contends Kobach has been "derelict in his duties," partly because of Kobach's work on immigration issues outside the state. Scroggins submitted a $100 application fee and a copy of his proposed recall petition to the office of Lt. Gov. Jeff Colyer, who would determine the validity of a recall petition.

But the application for a recall petition won't be considered valid unless supporters collect signatures from almost 83,000 registered voters — and doing so would give them only the right to try to gather the nearly 332,000 signatures required within 90 days to force an election. Scroggins acknowledged he's hoping Kobach's opponents across the state will see his proposed recall as a "clarion call" to gather signatures.

"I'm trying to awaken the sleeping giant," he said.

Kobach has said repeatedly that he works full-time as secretary of state and handles immigration work in off hours. A former law professor, he's advised officials in other states about cracking down on illegal immigration and helped draft tough laws in Alabama and Arizona.

He noted Wednesday that he faced criticism over such work — and other issues raised by Scroggins — during the 2010 race for secretary of state.

"Evidently, Mr. Scroggins has inside information that a majority of Kansans have changed their minds," Kobach said.

Comments

blindrabbit 2 years, 6 months ago

In order to sign up for the KKKobach recall do I have to submit a photo I.D. approved by the Secy. of State. Would not want to be accussed of voter fraud, or multiple voting, also how do I prove my citizenship status. Can I do any of this while I am on the job clock or must I wait until afterhours like Kobach has so correctly done. Does my Germanic surname give me any extra bennies, what about any efforts I have in my past to screw with the electorate.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 6 months ago

How about you either get off your butt and do the work necessary to remove him from office. Or you can sit in front of your computer screen and piss and moan. Your choice.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 6 months ago

We have a Secretary of State?

What does he do?

Randall Uhrich 2 years, 6 months ago

Three cheers for the recall effort. At least it'll be a huge black mark on his record, in case he has any further ambitions for his political career. Maybe Alabama or Arizona wants him, I hope.

Pepe 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't think that some crackpot making a doomed to fail recall effort will be a "huge black mark" on Kobach's record.

Shelley Bock 2 years, 6 months ago

I dislike Kobach with a passion. However, I see this as a futile cause. Effort at defeating him would best be spent at the next state general election where not only Kobach, but Brownback and house members would be on the ballot. This would conserve resources for a winnable contest and bring out voters who could potentially defeat more than just one.

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

Why, because they are both black? I'm sure that KKKan't be the case!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Look at how much money the folks on the sinister side of the aisle whizzed away in Wisconsin earlier this year on a recall election. (hee, hee)

2 years, 6 months ago

It costs a lot of money to awaken a sleeping giant.

2 years, 6 months ago

"I am always touched by the gallant audacity of a kitten, the fighting heart of a bantam cock, or the willingness of a little man to die in his tracks rather than knuckle under." -- Robert Heinlein, "Double Star"

2 years, 6 months ago

"I don't suppose our friend Sonny considers this a life-or-death fight."

Certainly not, I just considered the quote apt considering blue73harley's paranoid intimation that Sonny might end up like Jacques Du Bois for passing this petition around. In all honesty, I expect this is the last we will ever hear of it. Most of these efforts are Shakepeare's "tale told by a fool" in more ways than one. Mr. Scroggins is a wise enough man to understand that.

I do admire our friend Sonny and suspect he has a far better grip on reality than most whose contributions to this windmill-tilting exercise are limited to anonymous comments on newspaper websites. If the opportunity ever arose I would be honored to buy him a beer or six and hear him out. But I would probably not sign his petition.

classclown 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm curious to know how many people that intend to sign the petition actually bothered to vote in the election that put Kobach in office.

I fully understand having buyer's remorse as well as the necessity of recall elections, however, I feel that if one couldn't even be bothered to vote in the original election then they shouldn't have a part in any recall efforts/election.

Greg Cooper 2 years, 6 months ago

It doesn't matter if they voted last time or not. The point is that the voters recognize his ineptness in carrying out his duties, as well as the appearance that he is not a full-time state employee.

Having not voted does not disqualify one from seeing what is happening to our state, nor does it make one less able to fight the system that has made this one-policy dingbat our secretary of state.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 6 months ago

Recalls are perfectly legal and within "the rules".

Why don't you begin a petition to outlaw recalls, or are you just too damn lazy or doesn't it concern you enough?

texburgh 2 years, 6 months ago

Recalls in Kansas are almost impossible. Why? Because a number of years ago when school board members were recalled (in Ottawa as I recall), the Kansas Association of School Boards successfully lobbied for changes to the recall law that basically say you can't be recalled for being a jerk who doesn't do his job - you need to be proven insane or commit a felony. So there you have it, elected officials establishing "tenure" for themselves. The School Boards fought for it.

Fred Mertz 2 years, 6 months ago

This will probably be as successful as his attempt to get a national holiday for Obama right after Obama was elected.

Greg Cooper 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, Mr. Kobach, your statement is based on false numbers, as you should know as the State's top election officer. A majority of Kansans did not vote for you, as a majority of Kansans did not even vote. But you can bet that the majority of those who DO vote next time you're up for reelection will not vote for a man whose major interest is getting a paycheck from his state that allows him the time to foist his right-wing racist ideals upon the rest of the country.

Too, Mr. Scroggins probably has inside information--inside the state, where you spend precious little time or energy.