Archive for Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lawrence man, 52, dies in FedEx plane crash near Wichita

Sedgwick County and Wichita emergency workers investigate the scene of a plane crash Tuesday morning, Nov. 6, 2012, south of Mid-Continent Airport in Wichita, Kan. A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman says the pilot of the Cessna reported engine trouble shortly after taking off from the airport and the pilot was trying to return to the airport when the crash occurred about two miles from the airport. FAA records show the plane was registered to Fed Ex Corp. The pilot was killed in the accident.

November 6, 2012, 1:01 p.m. Updated November 6, 2012, 4:14 p.m.

A 52-year-old Lawrence pilot was killed when the single-engine Cessna Caravan plane he was operating crashed near Wichita shortly after 7:30 a.m. Tuesday. The pilot was identified as Brian P. Quinn.

According to a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman, the plane — owned by FedEx — crashed shortly after departing from Mid-Continent Airport in Wichita. Tony Molinaro, spokesman for the FAA, said the pilot reported engine trouble shortly after taking off. Molinaro says the pilot was trying to return to the Wichita airport when the crash occurred about two miles from the airport. The plane was headed to Garden City.

According to information from the FAA, the plane, model 208B, was manufactured in 1991.

The plane was being operated by Baron Aviation out of Missouri.

A spokeswoman from the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office said Quinn was the only person on board.

- The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

costello 2 years, 1 month ago

Very tragic. My condolences to the family and friends.

SouthernMan 2 years, 1 month ago

Pilot's name not released........

Wonder how many 52-year old pilots from Lawrence fly for FedEx?

bliddel 2 years, 1 month ago

I have a friend who flies for a living, whom I haven't spoken to in awhile, and who is about 52, and has lived in Lawrence for at least the last 3 decades. What's worse, the company he used to fly for got him a vanity aircraft registration number, and I see that number is now deregistered, hence, he has surely changed jobs, possibly to FedEx.

I have a very bad feeling now. I sure hope my fears are misplaced.

bliddel 2 years, 1 month ago

Whew! I remembered his tail number incorrectly, and it is still registered, so it's not him. Still, I always hate to see things like this. The Caravan is an easy plane to fly, so, this doesn't look like pilot error to me. :-(

skyboy 2 years, 1 month ago

sumpthis: give it a rest! The pilot reported the windshield covered with oil after the engine failed.

Sad day, Baron is one of the best 135 operators in the country.

sumpthiscom 2 years, 1 month ago

skyboy...

How often have you seen water in your sump cup?

Did you read my petition to the NTSB?

If you are a pilot you should recognize a heads-up when you read it.

All I did was ask three questions in an effort to save my fellow pilots from sputtering engines.

bliddel 2 years, 1 month ago

OMG it was Brian after all. He was the best friend one could have, and perhaps also the best flight instructor, period. He'd already cheated death when he hit a flock of Canada Geese years ago in Topeka. If anyone could have survived this, it would have been Brian.

He turned me on to Ernest Gann "Fate is the Hunter". I always assumed one day Brian would stop flying, by choice, and not by fate. This hurts, really badly.

N23BQ, RIP.

bevy 2 years, 1 month ago

Condolences for your loss, and to his family.

ljb12345 2 years, 1 month ago

I"m sorry about your friend. His wife works with my husband. It's a very sad time. My heart goes out to his family and friends.