Archive for Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Brownback and other governors have a beef with ‘pink slime’ critics

March 28, 2012

— Gov. Sam Brownback on Wednesday joined four other governors from cattle states to go to bat for a ground beef product that critics call "pink slime."

The governors said inaccurate reports in the media were causing an unnecessary panic among consumers that would hurt the beef industry, result in higher prices at the grocery store and cost thousands of workers their jobs.

"By taking this safe product out of the market, grocery retailers and consumers are allowing media inaccuracies to trump sound science," the statement said. "This is a disservice to the beef industry, hundreds of workers who make their livings producing this safe product and consumers as a whole."

The statement was put out by Brownback, Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad, Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Lt. Gov. Matt Michels, on behalf of South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard, who was on a trade mission in China.

The officials urged grocery retailers and others to keep selling the product.

The product is made from meat cutting scraps that are treated with ammonia to kill bacteria. Lean finely textured beef, or LFTB is found in retail ground beef, low-fat hot dogs, lunch meat, beef sticks and a number of other products. After a public outcry, recently, the USDA said school districts did not have to use the produces in their school lunch programs.

Industry experts and health officials say LFTB is safe but that the product has been plagued by a public relations nightmare. Earlier this week, Beef Products Inc., the main manufacturer and inventor of the filler, suspended production at three of four plants.

In Kansas, the beef industry generates more than $6.5 billion in cash receipts a year. Already, more than 650 workers in Kansas, Texas and Iowa have been temporarily laid off, according to Brownback's office. According to the National Meat Association, as many as 3,000 American jobs will be affected when suppliers are also factored in.

Comments

gatekeeper 2 years, 9 months ago

How about this Brownie? Let the consumers decide what they want to purchase. I thought he was all for capitolism.

Let the grocery stores put out real ground beef and also put out ground beef mixed with the pink slime (label them correctly so it's obvious) and then the consumer can purchase what they want. I know I will pay a higher price to get pure ground beef and not something mixed with the slime. Restaurants can serve slime if they want, but they'd better make it clear to their customers what they're being served.

dabbindan 2 years, 9 months ago

was all ready to bang away at the keyboard, but you said it for me. nicely put.

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

Brown slime calling pink slime slime....things that make ya go hmmmmmmm

"backed by sound science." Oh, so now you believe in science? Science was created by the looney left. God is science and science is for fools that do not need a higher power to survive

"result in higher prices at the grocery store and cost thousands of workers their jobs."

Oh, much like your economic policies! Yes, tax food real good like and cut more jobs, way to go "By taking this safe product out of the market, grocery retailers and consumers are allowing media inaccuracies to trump sound science,"

The media was quite clean about that junk. It is the leftover fat and chunks that is combined with chemicals to make it "clean" then is injected with color and taste to make it seem like untouched meat. Brownback no like media. Media tell truth on me and make people hate Brownback. Take a flying leap, pal!

cjeter 2 years, 9 months ago

You beat me to the exact comment I was going to make Gatekeeper. That's the thing that has me pissed off about this whole thing. I have the right to know what I am buying and eating. And I'd bet when given the option 100/100 would choose to not eat "lean textured beef".

trinity 2 years, 9 months ago

You can bet that the beef that hits the guv's plate is not loaded with pink slime. And does anybody else find any irony in that the SD gov was on a trade mission to China, so his Lt. gov had to join the other buffoons to issue this proclamation?? Geez louise.

Stuart Sweeney 2 years, 9 months ago

I was thinking maybe we could send a truck load of the stuff to the Govenors Mansion for him and his buddies to eat. My beef comes from my backyard but I still don't know what I get in a resturant!

somedude20 2 years, 9 months ago

Hooligan_016 2 years, 9 months ago

It is hilariously ironic that the Gov. is endorsing a statement containing the words: "backed by sound science"

gccs14r 2 years, 9 months ago

It's not "cutting scraps", it's mechanically-separated meat that is extracted by taking trimmed bones and putting them in a device that squeezes them until all the soft tissue has oozed off of the surface. 'course you also get a certain amount of nervous tissue, cartilage, and other bits when you do that. It's stuff that's not even fit for pet food and sure shouldn't be showing up in school lunches.

pace 2 years, 9 months ago

Why doesn't it even occur to Brownback to care about just normal Kansas families?

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

Because of that book, I couldn't eat hotdogs for years afterwards. The mere sight of them sickened me!

acg 2 years, 9 months ago

Then u eat that crap Brownie! No? Yeah, don't think he would lower himself to eat the poor people scraps. I hate this man with a burning passion and I'm so glad I don't live in KS anymore. I'm sorry for you all.

whats_going_on 2 years, 9 months ago

This crap reminds me of Ghostbusters II (the bathtub scene). shivers

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

Brownback is going to be about as popular as Osama Bin Laden soon.

tolawdjk 2 years, 9 months ago

OBL's PR staff can at least say his approval rating is steady and not falling.

I mean zero is still a steady zero.

Brownback? Nope, it is still in freefall.

Fossick 2 years, 9 months ago

Freefall? Surely you jest.

52% approval among men, 51% among women, 62% among blacks, 52% among independents. I know a couple of presidents who would kill for those numbers. http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=9fce3cd6-74f8-44be-851d-868048e48156

Deceiving oneself is seldom the way to win future elections.

justoneperson 2 years, 9 months ago

In late-July of 2011?

Also, the category "Blacks" only contained 5% of the sample (of 600 people). I'm not sure 30 people is representative of a group.

The category "Whites" however is 85% of the sample, and his approval rating is 51% in that group, with a margin of error of +/- 4.1.

The actual approval rating declined from prior surveys, and was sitting at 51% for all respondents (again, moe 4.1).

Fossick 2 years, 9 months ago

Please pass the crow. I completely misread that date on that survey and thought it was the latest.

Mah bad.

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

Do you eat hotdogs? I'm not talking about the pure-beef kosher kind; the cheap stuff everyone pulls out for grilling. Those hotdogs are no worse than pink-slime. Actually, they could be worse....

I agree the consumer should know what is in their beef. If the media hadn't brought this up, though, we would have just continued in our ignorant bliss. If we didn't know it was there, still bought and enjoyed the meat, and it is safe for consumption, what difference does it really make?

Katara 2 years, 9 months ago

So what exactly are they supposed to label it as? It still is beef. People seem to be acting as if this is some mysterious chemical being added when it is actually beef that is really really ground (to the point of mush) but it doesn't change what it is.

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

My point exactly. It is 100% beef. What would the label say, contains 100% beef, some that has been tenderized?

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 9 months ago

Slime. We're honestly here discussing whether it's okay to be unknowingly fed what those in the food industry named themselves, "slime." More telling, our governor sides on the side of "slime." What would surprise anyone anymore?

Even slimier, the pink stuff slimed its way into our food without comment, and fed to children who can't vote. Yeah, that's Kansas in the year 2012. Slime is the perfect metaphor for the political representation we can expect from day to day.

To our "representative" corporate overloards, and "leaders" in government--hats off to you!

Yes, I'd like the slime burger with a side of slime fries and slime cola. Obey.

Mike Ford 2 years, 9 months ago

make brownbackistan eat the mystery meat......just like marie antoinette eating cake....

JM Andy 2 years, 9 months ago

Why would we upset the beef lobby for the safety of our children? This is Brownbackistan!!!

Centerville 2 years, 9 months ago

Thanks, Gov. The facts are coming out about this faked 'crisis'. The worst part is how easily some people fell for it, including a lot of the led-by-the-nose press.

Katara 2 years, 9 months ago

Menudo? Head cheese? Sweetbreads?

People are upset because "pink slime" isn't attractive, as if food must be pretty in order to be edible/or nutritious.

progressive_thinker 2 years, 9 months ago

Chitterlings? White pudding? Black pudding?

I think that this whole "pink slime" thing is pretty overdone.......

gr 2 years, 9 months ago

"In a joint statement, the governors called lean finely textured beef a nutritious and safe product "backed by sound science.""

Safe Pink Slime safe is a safe product safe.

Anyone notice the excessive use of the word "safe"?

"backed by sound science". Kind of reminds you of the vaccine big business, doesn't it?

"would hurt the beef industry, result in higher prices at the grocery store and cost thousands of workers their jobs." Oh? Why? "Beef Products Inc., the main manufacturer and inventor of the filler, " Oh! There it is. Thinning product with filler! Selling real product instead of filler as product will cost more.

"After a public outcry, recently, the USDA said school districts did not have to use the produces in their school lunch programs." Why wouldn't school districts have the right to use or not use the produces or the products in their lunch programs? Is there some sort of forced monopoly going on? Kind of reminds you of the vaccine big business again, doesn't it?

People didn't like grinding up dead cows to feed to cows, so why not feed it to humans? Gotta do something with the waste.

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

It is 100% beef. What is the problem with that?

gr 2 years, 9 months ago

100% cow, yes. But "beef" seems to mean something more to me. For example, serving a plate of cow tongue I would not count as "beef" though technically it's from a beef cow. Nor would I count as beef, offal.

asixbury 2 years, 9 months ago

Well, that sounds like a personal hangup for you. Many people in many countries eat differing parts of the cow. It is still all beef. It may be yucky beef to you, but it does not change what it is.

gr 2 years, 8 months ago

The beef industry would love you!

The farmer takes the cow to the market, gets a few dollars, the processor takes the whole cow and dumps it into a giant grinder and grinds everything up. Then it markets it as Pure Beef! And lots more profit!

No thanks for me. But you can enjoy it as much as you wish.