Archive for Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Franklin County prosecutor resigns from office

April 3, 2012

Franklin County Attorney Heather Jones has announced she is stepping down.

Jones said she accepted an assistant district attorney position in the Johnson County Attorney’s Office as a section chief of the sex crimes and child abuse division. Her resignation in Franklin County takes effect May 22.

She has served as an assistant county attorney beginning in August 2000 and took office as county attorney in 2005 after winning the 2004 election. She won re-election in 2008.

The Franklin County Republican Party’s central committee will elect a replacement to recommend to Gov. Sam Brownback.

Jones said she planned to continue handling an ongoing Douglas County sex crime case in which she is a special prosecutor.

Comments

torcia 2 years, 9 months ago

Franklin Countys loss is Johnson Countys gain. Execelent prosecutor. Congrats Heather!

kimk 2 years, 9 months ago

Did she go through all the cops, sheriffs there and have to move on to Johnson County?

pocket_of_sunshine 2 years, 9 months ago

Good bye and good riddance. Don't know many that will be sad to see her go.

torcia 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm guessing you or a family member had some legal problems in Franklin County?

pocket_of_sunshine 2 years, 9 months ago

You guess wrong. Since we are making assumptions, I assume you are either a) Ms. Jones herself or b) involved in one of her "extra curricular" activities. Other than that, I am not sure why you are so quick to make these assumptions and defend this woman..

torcia 2 years, 9 months ago

What "extra curricular" activities do you think go on and what do you base that assumption on

pocket_of_sunshine 2 years, 9 months ago

This is an interesting conversation! If you would like to hit "reply" it would help streamline the process. I don't base my assumptions on anything, I speak of facts. Facts that the LJW has a policy against posting details about those activities because they would violate the user agreement. Based upon your reply, I think it is safe to say you know what activities that are being spoken of. Also, I notice that you are not refuting the statement that you may very well be Ms. Jones herself.

torcia 2 years, 9 months ago

If they are facts why would they violate the user agreement. Sorry not Ms. Jones.

pocket_of_sunshine 2 years, 9 months ago

The details would violate the user agreement, not the facts.

Your loyalty to Ms. Jones is admirable. However, you are not among many that I know, none of whom are criminals, nor have they been in legal trouble. They are people that see the situation and the person for what they are. I appreciate you having your opinion, allow me to have mine. Mine being "Good bye and Good Riddance, she will not be missed"

torcia 2 years, 9 months ago

Really not trying to pick a fight or start an argument but how did she get re-elected and serve so long if she wasn't any good?

pocket_of_sunshine 2 years, 9 months ago

That is a good question. I know I didn't vote for her. When it comes up in conversation, I have not heard one person say they did. Maybe they were to ashamed to admit that they did.. I don't know. What I do know is that it's not that big of a loss for the county.

pocket_of_sunshine 2 years, 9 months ago

These are the same facts that Ms. Jones threatened the Ottawa Herald with a lawsuit if they were to publish the story. She has a history of being not-so-faithful, among other questionable character traits..

torcia 2 years, 9 months ago

I had never heard these allegations. have dealt with her in the past and seemed very professional. Just looking at the headlines looks like she has tried some big cases and has done well professionally for the county