Kansas City tornadoes
Multiple tornado warnings and funnel clouds were reported in the Kansas City area Wednesday, May 25, 2011.
Tornado rips through Joplin, Mo.
A massive tornado ripped through Joplin, Mo., Sunday, May 22, 2011. The Red Cross estimated as much as 75 percent of the town was leveled.
Tornado in Reading causes major damage
A tornado swept through Reading Saturday night, killing one person and destroying at least 20 homes, as severe thunderstorms pelted the region with hail that some residents said was the size of baseballs, authorities said early Sunday. Reading is about 67 miles southwest of Lawrence.
Figures about the tornado that ripped through Joplin, Mo., on Sunday and the 2011 tornado season. All statistics represent the official record of the National Weather Service, which covers 1950 to present day.
- People killed: 125.
- Survivors rescued: 9.
- Injured: More than 900.
- Buildings destroyed: An estimated 8,000.
- About the tornado: Deadliest single tornado since records began in 1950. Storm Prediction Center says unofficial records show last single tornado with greater death toll occurred in 1947. National Weather Service rated the storm an EF5, the highest rating based on inflicted damage. Winds exceeded 200 mph.
- Tornadoes to strike Joplin: 1.
- Tornado reports made so far in the U.S. in May: 187, through May 24.
- Average number of tornadoes in May during the past decade: 298.
- Record for tornadoes in May: 542, in 2003.
- Tornado reports made so far in 2011: 1,228, through May 24.
- Average number of tornadoes in a single year during the past decade: 1,274.
- Highest recorded number of tornadoes in a single year: 1,817, in 2004.
Watches and warnings
- Total severe weather watches issued since Sunday by the NWS's Storm Prediction Center: 57.
- Total tornado watches issued since Sunday by the NWS's Storm Prediction Center: 30.
- Total severe weather warnings issued since Saturday by local NWS offices: 2,146.
- Tornado warnings issued since Saturday by local NWS offices: 542.
- People killed in Joplin tornado: 125.
- People killed in 2011 prior to Joplin tornado: 365.
- People killed in 2011: 505, through morning of May 25.
- Highest recorded death toll in a single year: 519, in 1953.
- People killed in Oklahoma from storms this week: 9
- People killed in Kansas: 2
- People killed in Arkansas: 4
Source: Joplin City Manager Mark Rohr; National Weather Service; Storm Prediction Center preliminary tornado data; FEMA.