Andover — The Butler County Sheriff's Department is investigating the electrocution death of a 9-year-old boy.
Sheriff Kelly Herzet says Zachariah Nelson died Friday when he was trying to turn off water in a hydrant, which was next to a wellhead in rural Butler County.
The Wichita Eagle reports that witnesses said Zachariah yelled for help as he was turning off the water at the hydrant, which was in his home's yard. Herzet says a licensed electrician discovered that the water wellhead was energized, electrocuting the boy.
The boy died later at the Kansas Medical Center in Andover.