Connie Torneden could do without a repeat of the weather at last year’s Tonganoxie Days.
Heavy rains on the second Saturday of June 2010 forced some vendors to close up shop early.
“I thought, ‘Oh my, we’ve lost them,’” Torneden said about vendors from last year possibly not returning because of the bad weather a year ago. “Some who did leave early, they are signed up to come back this year, so that’s good.”
Torneden, the longtime organizer of the festival in this Leavenworth County community, said she had about 100 vendors signed up for this weekend’s 26th annual Tonganoxie Days.
Here are some highlights of Saturday’s activities:
- 7:30 a.m.-9 a.m.: Friends of the Library 10K/5K run and 5K fun walk.
- 9 a.m.-4 p.m.: Car and truck show at VFW Park; booths open downtown, children’s games, Sunflower Scavenger Hunt and Kaw Valley Express antique trackless train rides.
- 9:15-4 p.m.: Downtown performances
- 10 a.m.-noon: Free car seat installations and inspections at fire station, 825 E. Fourth St.
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m.: Wild Women of the Frontier mingling with crowd and doing skits.
- Noon: Flag Day Salute at VFW Park; barbecue judging begins at Leavenworth County Fairgrounds.
- 6:30 p.m.: Bingo Night at Sacred Heart Parish Center (food served starting at 5:45 p.m.)
- 9:30 p.m.: Fireworks display, Chieftain Park.