Archive for Saturday, July 16, 2011

Rural Bonner Springs woman fined for littering tea bottles in same man’s yard nearly every day for 2 years

July 16, 2011

Gary Bukaty displays the tea bottles he picked up nearly every day for two years near the mailbox of his rural southeastern Leavenworth County home. On Friday, Carole Green, who lives about 2 miles west of Bukaty, pleaded guilty of four counts of misdemeanor littering and was fined $1,000 in Leavenworth County District Court after Bukaty took photographs of her throwing bottles at his driveway.

— If Carole Green weren’t a creature of, perhaps even a slave to, habit, she may not have been fined $1,000 on Friday for littering.

Green, of rural Bonner Springs, pleaded guilty Friday to four counts of misdemeanor littering in Leavenworth County District Court. Judge Gunnar Sundby, who admitted to doing a double take on the steepness of the fine, imposed the minimum fine for first-time offenders of $250 on each count.

Green was ticketed for littering after Gary Bukaty, who lives about 2 miles east of Green, photographed her throwing empty tea bottles into the yard of his rural southeastern Leavenworth County home. He took that step to learn who had been tossing the containers in his yard most afternoons for nearly two years.

Green said she didn’t select Bukaty’s yard out of malice. It just happened to be where she finished the tea.

“It was nothing personal,” she told the judge. “If I had to do it over again, of course, I wouldn’t do it.”

Green also presented to the judge a letter explaining her history with impulse-control issues, which the judge took into consideration as he imposed the fines.

In an address to the court, Bukaty explained that he called the Leavenworth County Sheriff’s Office because he was tired of picking the bottles up daily.

After the sentencing, Bukaty said he was grateful to learn that the daily littering was not due to a grudge.

“That’s what the sheriff’s officers asked when I first talked to them, ‘What did you do to these people?’” he said. “I didn’t know. We go out to dinner once a week and to church on Sunday. We don’t do anything.”

The bottles first started appearing in his yard about two years ago, quickly increasing in frequency from one or two a week to almost daily, Bukaty said. He first called the sheriff’s office to file an informational report early this year after logging the appearance of the bottle from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. daily.

He made a second call in April after he captured Green on camera throwing the bottles from an SUV, Bukaty said. What he saw and got on film only increased his suspicion that the bottle thrower was acting on a grudge, he said.

“I felt like someone was targeting me,” he said. “The way the bottles were right there by my mailbox and the way the driver would stop or slow down to throw out the bottle.”

With that assumption, he called the sheriff’s office rather than follow and confront the bottle thrower, Bukaty said.

“I’m really thankful for the sheriff’s office,” he said. “They have a lot of more things to do other than chase down litterers, and they took the time to help me out.”

The bottle throwing could cost Green $1,160 in fines and court costs, although Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson suggested she could reduce her fines with community service at the Leavenworth Country Transfer Station.

The case’s resolution left Bukaty pleased if still confused.

“Who throws a bottle out the same place, every day?” he asked. “Who litters on Earth Day and Easter?”

Comments

Brandi Simpson-Glover 3 years, 9 months ago

sounds like she had some MAJOR issues going on that she should probably seek help for-not being funny, I really do think it is serious, who does this?!

LogicMan 3 years, 9 months ago

This destroys the myth that roadside litterers are all teenaged male hairless apes.

pumpkinpatch 3 years, 9 months ago

She needs to learn some house keeping sense! We have a trash can in our garage. Teaching the kids to pick up after their themselves when we return home. Or when we stop at the gas station, they pick up the inside of the car while gas is being pumped. It didn't say how old she is. Her respect for others and the good earth God gave us is not one I would be proud of, as she sounds like she is. She needs to learn some respect for others.

superduper 3 years, 9 months ago

Maybe she really is living up to her "Green" name. At least she put them in the same place every day for the man to recycle and so mowers and cars wouldn't run over them. Quite clever if you ask me. HaHa funny story. She certainly has a disorder. And on Easter...really?

Amy Heeter 3 years, 9 months ago

It is bad tu litter but it is strange to video tape it too.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

A neighbor has been throwing Miller Lite cans in my yard for years. I would turn him in 'cept the extra cash from the recycling sure is nice . .

blindrabbit 3 years, 9 months ago

Should have made her "Adopt a Highway" mile for a year!

weeslicket 3 years, 9 months ago

i do believe this is one of the strangest articles i've read in quite some time.

youngjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Since it was a stranger, it was appropriate to contact the authorities and let them handle it. I agree with above posters, the woman definitely has some serious mental health issues. Hopefully, she will seek the help she needs. Glad it's resolved for all - what a strange world!

pal00kaville 3 years, 9 months ago

If he thought it was a grudge, it would be better to involve authorities than confront someone with an issue. At the least he would have let them know there was a problem, rather than have things get worse (directly or indirectly) before they needed to get involved.

fu7il3 3 years, 9 months ago

Come on now, let's not make this about the guy who had to pick up tea bottles out of his yard every day for TWO YEARS.

It's not like everyone doesn't know littering is wrong. Blame the chick who couldn't be bothered to throw her garbage in a can like everyone else.

parrothead8 3 years, 9 months ago

Funny how easy it is to call someone out anonymously, huh?

Ann Hamil 3 years, 9 months ago

How hard is it to put something in the trash or recycling when you get to your destination? I don't understand folks tossing things out the car window. I think I was taught not to do that from an early age.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad she bot busted. It's amazing that some people do things with no regard to the effect they have on others.

Just this morning, there was a Dillon's small shopping cart sitting next to the dumpsters for my apt complex. So someone thought it was OK to steal a $200+ cart, to make it easier for them to get their groceries home. Then when they got home, they put it out by the dumpster, where it could be thrown away... Of course I loaded it up in my car and returned it.

Fred Mertz 3 years, 9 months ago

Man, I was dumpster diving for aluminum cans and when I came out my Dillons cart was gone. Wonder what happened to it? jk of course

wise1 3 years, 9 months ago

wise1 3 years, 9 months ago

Sigmund 3 years, 9 months ago

She should have claimed restricting her right to toss Tea bottles was a violation of her political free speech rights.

pizzapete 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad she got busted and the fine seem appropriate to me in this case. People throw discarded cans and fast food bags in my yard nearly every day. I even found a dirty diaper in my backyard last year. Come on people, show some respect, others shouldn't have to clean up your garbage.

rockchalker52 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanx, RoeDster! As usual, you iz a wealth of pertinent info. Let's see, if the grand larceny statute doesn't kick in until $1500 or so... shoot, that's 6 or 7 carts I can filch! My friend, Gus, & I like to race 'em down 9th street. I thought he had me last week in his modified red Target rig, but he clipped a Vespa at Emery Road. They both went @$$-over-elbow & face planted on the sidewalk.
I tole ol' Gus - don't be bringin' no plastic against the big dogs.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Yuo kin git 'em for a quarter at Aldi. I likes to strap 'em to the frunt bumper and push my vittles hoem.

SeaBee 3 years, 9 months ago

What a self-centered, inconsiderate pig.

Hope they give her the max.

crazyredneckmomma4 3 years, 9 months ago

I have a couple points of view on this one- First of all the fact that she threw out the same kind of tea bottle in the same place at the same time everyday for 2 years just goes to show how routine life can be, which is pretty sad sometimes. Second- aren't those glass bottles in the picture? Aren't the recyclable? and don't some glass bottles says something about .05 cents for recycling? Maybe this guy could have used that to his advantage? Third-And I'm not condoning littering but if all this guy does is "go out to dinner once a week and to church on Sunday. We don’t do anything.” then why couldn't he, if he knew what time she was going to "deliver", stand out there and maybe flag her down, with phone in hand just in case, and talk to her about it since she is his "neighbor" ? I mean what has this world come to if you can't talk to your neighbor especially in a rural area? I just feel this was case was taken to the extreme. Im sure the hefty fine means lesson learned but now this woman's name is now in several papers and what kind of harassment is she going to suffer from these articles say at her local grocery store or post office. If shes already dealing with OCD or other disorders what is this going to do to her? Also Bukaty may not have been targeted before and he may not have caused anyone to have a grudge against him but I bet that might change now. My point being is that this blown way out of proportion in my opinion.

Centerville 3 years, 9 months ago

I think the landowner knows that she's crazy and is being polite and being smart for not trying to reason with her. This is very creepy and I'll bet that other people in the neighborhood are starting to put 2 + 2 together on similar odd goings on.