Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, July 13, 2011

No K-State students showing signs of mercury sickness after spill at fraternity house

July 13, 2011

Advertisement

— Kansas State officials say none of the 26 students evacuated after a mercury spill at an off-campus fraternity are showing signs of mercury poisoning.

The students were evacuated from the Beta Sigma Psi fraternity on Monday and are living in university dorm rooms while the house is cleaned.

Doctors will collect blood samples from the students and some Manhattan firefighters who responded to the spill. The Manhattan Mercury reports that results of blood tests are expected next week.

Manhattan fire officials say the spill occurred four weeks ago when students were moving into the house for a summer research camp. A vial containing five pounds of mercury was broken. Officials say the vial belonged to a former resident but it is unclear why it was inside the house.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.