Archive for Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Kobach introduces legislation to require that voters in Kansas show photo identification

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach on Tuesday explains his proposal to require voters show photo ID to vote. His comments came during a news conference outside his office in the Memorial Building. Kobach's bill also requires proof of citizenship to register to vote, increased penalties for voter fraud and gives his office more authority to prosecute alleged voter fraud.

January 18, 2011, 9:02 a.m. Updated January 18, 2011, 5:05 p.m.

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach speaks during a news conference about his legislation for fighting election fraud, Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2011, in Topeka, Kan.

— Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach on Tuesday introduced legislation to require that voters show photo identification before they can vote.

“The time has come to secure the integrity of Kansas elections,” Kobach said. His bill would also require proof of citizenship to register to vote, ID verification to get a mail-in ballot, increase penalties for voter fraud and increase the powers of Kobach’s office and the attorney general’s office to prosecute election violations.

A broad coalition of groups promised to fight Kobach, saying there is no evidence that there is a problem with the security of Kansas elections.

The Kansas Voter Coalition, which includes civil rights and religious organizations, argued that Kobach’s proposals would suppress voter participation, especially of the elderly and minorities.

“This bill — a solution to a problem whose existence cannot be demonstrated — would have the likely impact of reducing voter turnout among legal registered voters,” the coalition said.

The coalition, which includes the NAACP, League of Women Voters, Kansas chapter of the ACLU, Wichita chapter of Church Women United, and others, pointed to studies that show voter ID bills in other states have reduced turnout.

But Kobach, a Republican, denied that allegation and said he has built into his bill ways to ensure that the poor and the elderly get photo IDs.

Under his proposal, voters could get a free ID or birth certificate if they live in a household with an income up to 150 percent of the federal poverty level, or $33,075 for a family of four. In addition, anyone 65 or older could use an expired driver’s license as a photo ID.

Kobach said he didn’t know how much it would cost the state to provide those IDs. In a news release, the Kansas Voter Coalition said, “There is no logical rationale for spending additional taxpayer money to create a brand new bureaucracy to fight a problem that cannot empirically be shown to exist.”

Kobach, however, as he did in his successful campaign for office, alleged there were many instances of voter fraud in Kansas. He said election fraud is often hard to determine and occurs many more times than it is reported.

“Election crimes have been documented across this state, but very little has been done to rectify the situation,” Kobach said. “After this bill is passed, Kansas will stand head and shoulders above the other 49 states in ensuring that elections are fair.”

Kobach, an attorney who was involved in writing the anti-illegal immigration law in Arizona, said, “When this bill passes, Kansas will be to voter fraud what Arizona is to illegal immigration.”

State Rep. Lance Kinzer, R-Olathe, one of more than 30 co-sponsors of the legislation, said the measure has strong support in the Legislature. Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican, has said he supports photo ID to vote, but he hasn’t commented on other aspects of Kobach’s proposal.

But House Democratic Leader Paul Davis of Lawrence said Kobach’s proposal was a “solution in search of a problem” because there have been few instances of voter fraud in Kansas.

Davis added, “Kris Kobach should follow the lead of previous secretaries of state and work to make voting easier for Kansans, not more difficult.”

Kobach said his bill also closes a “loophole” found in other states’ voter ID bills by requiring verification for mail-in ballots. Under his bill, when applying for a mail-in ballot, a person must provide either a Kansas driver’s license number, or the voter’s non-driver’s license identification number, or a photo-copy of a current photographic document. No advance voting ballot may be mailed unless the voter’s signature on the absentee ballot request matches that on file in the county voter registration record, Kobach’s office said.

Comments

SeaBee 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm guessing that if everyone opposed to this jerk's fearmongering requests a "free" ID for voting purposes, this sham will take on a high visibility in the state's budget process.

Make up an issue, spread fear, get elected. Kind of reminds me of Germany in the 30's.

kansanbygrace 3 years, 2 months ago

Most fascinating is all this imagining and fearing and making up stuff. Something to consider is that, at any border crossing with Mexico, your photo ID drivers license, your photo ID from work, and most documents tendered, are not adequate to get into Mexico, nor back into USA, but your VOTER REGISTRATION CARD, delivered by the US mail, IS. All of our current politicking based on baseless surmision and neurotic imaginations is never going to be a legitimate motive for legislation nor an adequate justification for all the time and other resources wasted by these ignorant and ill-prepared nitwits.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the answer. Actually when I voted in November did have my registration ready to be checked. Was shocked to find they didn't require I.D. I swear I've shown I.D. before at the same voting place.

I still can not believe there are people without emotional problems who have no I.D. All the elderly Wismos passing on had plenty of I.D. information left with the personal items. Back in the day the rumor was never lose your Social Security Card. Can't buy the elderly do not have or can't get I.D. argument.

Show a high school yearbook photo at the driver's license center and they will make a nice I.D. for you. Not sure on the price, but like everything else I'm sure the poor will get it free.

somebodynew 3 years, 2 months ago

Well, wissmo - there is NO system now. IDs will have to be provided for some folks, and that equates to money from some budget or another (money the State supposedly doesn't have with a $500 million deficeit).

Here is an interesting idea - - When I registered to vote (Granted a long, long time ago) I was given a Voter Registration Card, which lists name, address, voting precinct, etc. Now I still carry mine (although I would assume most people don't). I also have to guess that they still do that (County level - Clerk's Office). If so, why is that not enough ID. I have heard of DL fraud and fake, but can't remember when I have heard of fake voter's cards. Something that is ALREADY being done (hint- no extra money), just have polling places ask for those !!!

And no prosecutorial powers needed - - Oh wait, that is the real agenda here, --- never mind......

Scott Morgan 3 years, 2 months ago

So far we've been told the cost of having voters show ID is much greater than the system used now.

Just exactly where is the extra expense?

SeaBee 3 years, 2 months ago

Urgent Message for Konfused Kris Kobach!

You ran for the wrong office, Dude!

The AG already has prosecutorial authority in Kansas.

Surely that would have been a better calling for your keen legal mind.

kansanbygrace 3 years, 2 months ago

The registration process is the one that sorts out the identification, eligibility and the appropriate polling place. The process does not need to be duplicated again over redundantly repeatedly at the polls.

If those now in charge were serious about running fair elections, or at least VASTLY more well run than those they have, they could just use the system the Venezuelans have. It's verifiable, it's available, and virtually impossible to trick. The company that runs it is a Florida company. EVERY election inspection agency in the world, including the one of the Carter Center, have attested.

I think it's smart to learn from others who have already solved issues and have an excellent system to emulate.

BrianR 3 years, 3 months ago

Looks like a classic case of creating a cure for which there is no known disease.

How much is this guy costing the taxpayers?

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

What Kobach proposes will require legislation. Unless this state spends a lot of money ensuring that such legislation will not disenfranchise the poor, homeless and elderly it will not withstand Constitutional challenge. More money spent by a bankrupt state on a non-problem. Think what you will but in my opinion this would be a Republican "Jim Crow" law. Welcome to Mississippi.

independant1 3 years, 3 months ago

i heart the public canadian liquor distribution gov't run, nice model

President Obama is fond of saying that we need to look to China's example.

Satirical 3 years, 3 months ago

(1) Response to argument that this proposed law is a solution w/o a problem – First, see broken widow theory. Second, showing statistics of people going over the speed limit does not accurately reflect how many people (almost everyone) who actually drive over the speed limit. Seriously, how is making a function essential to our democracy more secure a bad idea if there are only benefits and no costs?

(2) Response to argument that requiring someone to bring an ID is a burden –

(a) Solution: free IDs to the 7 (probably zero) people who don't have, can’t afford an ID, and for which this law might negatively affect. And/or make exemption for the fictional 2 other people who have a genuine religious issue with getting their photo taken. Easy as pie.

(b) Also, which is a bigger burden; making people find a way to get to the polling place if they live in rural area and are poor, or making someone bring an ID? Yet which one are you opposing?

(3) Response to argument that fake IDs will mean no real protections are provided by this law – Of course...because no one could be trained to spot a fake ID when they are trained as a poll worker. Also, see broken window theory (again).

(4) Response to argument that because voting is a Constitutional right, there should be fewer barriers. My response is -- Voting and the Right to Bare Arms are both Constitutional rights, but most people still think it is okay to require an ID for one. Should requiring an ID for a gun only be a rule in areas with evidence of high gun violence? Perhaps reasonable precautions are a good idea in both circumstances to prevent abuse.

(a) And to think the power of the ballot box in America isn’t more powerful than the sword is just foolish.

This isn’t a (R) or (D) issue, it is a common sense issue. Any potential costs is either fictional, or has an easy solution. There are only benefits. Any statistics which indicate this law would lead to a lower voter turnout are either manipulated or lies. Any rational person will tell you that bringing an ID isn't a problem, especially when almost everyone has one, and those who don't can get one free.

The dissent is likely by those who care more about politics (oppose anything the other side supports) than strengthening our democracy; or by fools who can’t think for themselves and fall prey to those who endorse that brand of politics over progress.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Sorry for the mistake should have been 9 buck an hour nurses aid in third section.

Furthermore, if you use false I.D.s or an illegal immigrant you don't have to worry about medical history haunting you.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

All folks not wishing to show I.D. while acting in the most important part of being a citizen in our nation, plus supporting the current version of socialized health care here's something to chew on.

Every medication you've taken is on record, every emotional problem treated on record, every little secret you wish others not to know is on record. Got a case o' dancin crabbies while being wild in college. Treated by an M.D. On record.

And you worry about showing I.D. Wow! Mommy nation is not going to let you waltz into a M.D. for a wart removal without I.D. Smile at the 9 buck an nurses aide looks through your records.

Your medical/psyche records will be in hands of people who could not run an automobile buy back program.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

Y'know a thought just occurred to me and I would seriously like an explanation. I find it telling that no one has even thought of this. Wouldn't Kobach's requirements completely disenfranchise the homeless? All of these excuses of how easy it is to get a state ID and how Kobach is even saying there would be aid to get that ID. However, what everyone is neglecting to realize (or maybe they don't want to) is that to get a state ID you MUST have a permanent address. The homeless have committed no crime. Why should they be disenfranchised? Is it because they are likely to vote in their own best interests? (Which are not the best interests of the Republican party.)

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

I've never understood why presenting identification to vote wasn't always mandatory. It isn't like a state-issued ID of one sort or another is hard for citizens to get.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

This is my take, and opinion. Both sides of our political system tries to cheat. Wish there was a legit third party. They would try to cheat as well.

Why not legitimize the system as best we can. Could have easily voted two or three times last November if I wanted to. Right here in Douglas County.

A few concerns.

I find both ACORN and ACORN like movements appalling.

I find when another organization not getting the press as ACORN sends out mass mailings using returned to sender letters proof to knock people off voting roles appalling too. The latter is a right wing tactic.

Boxes of ballots judged not worthy by activists on both sides. Delaying mail ballots so they are not counted on time "hey Bert take that bag of ballots to the courthouse, take your time wink wink maybe next week get my drift."

I despise Chicago style voting. The jokes about dead people voting, and vote today and often do not make me chuckle.

ABC declaring Gore a winner before polls in conservative parts of Florida closed.

As a nation we in my opinion are skating on thin ice regarding how accurate our votes are counted.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Defender, hopefully not ever, but the next time you are pulled over for a traffic violation or automobile check tell the officer you refuse to show I.D.

Explain there are not many accidents at the location, so no need to patrol. Hence you don't need to show I.D.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Investigator Hayes followed up, confirmed that many registrations were faked, and found a former ACORN worker who confessed to faking most of her forms. After obtaining a warrant based on the affidavit, state officials seized records and computers. Secretary of State Ross Miller was quoted as saying the faked forms included names from the starting lineup of the Dallas Cowboys.

Nuff said Defender? How many escaped detection? Of course ACORN was not the only organization, and for the sake of argument some fraud is done for both political sides.

davidsmom 3 years, 3 months ago

My driver's license is photo ID, my employee ID is photo ID, my gym membership card is photo ID, I have to show photo ID to buy OTC decongestants at the drug store, I have to show photo ID to get on an airplane...what's the big deal?

Alceste 3 years, 3 months ago

Kobach is trying to prevent Kansas from being taken over by the enemy. Hooray!!

mr_right_wing 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm really stuck on this one; on the one hand, the higher the voter turnout the better, but on the other hand, it's only 'better' if they are real votes, not fraudulent ones.

Basic Kansas picture I.D. cards are not expensive to get. I just wish everyone valued their right to vote enough to go get one.

I can't imagine there are not both local Democratic and Republican groups (and other political groups) who will help you get what is required to vote...especially right around election time. (Are you really going to expect me to believe 'planned parenthood' would do absolutely nothing for a pro-abortion advocate who is willing to vote? Yeah....right.)

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Defender, slow down. I meant men like Mussolini and Hussein did indeed use voter fraud to sway elections. Perhaps my added and factually correct mention of extreme violence which I do place under the tent of voter fraud tossed you for a loop.

Of course violence and voting would never happen in this country. Not.

When grandpa Italian is found floating in a pond for speaking up in the 1930s Italian elections I find this at the least voter fraud. At the most I call it a revolution.

Good grief what do you call it?

Sorry, but it;s in the history books as fact. Unless you can prove otherwise.

Last but not least Defender, there were thousands of illegal voting violations during the last presidential election. Not an old enough bunny to realize some were done by Republicans. Some by Dems. what da problem with simply having folks prove by I.D. they are who they are.

Agnostick 3 years, 3 months ago

I am very, very lucky.

I have never been robbed, nor has my home ever been invaded. But I still lock my doors.

I have never been gravely ill--but I still take whatever preventative health measures I can.

I have never been in a serious automobile collision--but I always wear my seat belt, and try to drive carefully and defensively.

My home has never burned--but I still have smoke/fire detectors, and we do have fire extinguishers in the house.

I have been very, very lucky--but luck eventually runs out. It's good to have safeguards in place to minimize risk.

I don't think requiring photo identification at a polling location is an unreasonable precaution.

For me, the bigger question is this: Is Kobach now, or will he in the future, give his other duties short-shrift in chasing this singular goal? He was (presumably) elected to carry out all the duties of his office--not just one that he decides is most exciting.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

mrchips 3 years, 3 months ago

KK is a H...just look at him...really......

weeslicket 3 years, 3 months ago

i just want to know when mr. secretary of state kris kobach is going to do something about the chimeras fornicating all of the time on my well-cared-for front lawn.

i mean, crimony already.

when is he going to step up and do something about these surly fornicating chimeras and whatnot???

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

I will be blunt, Kobach ran on this, he was elected. Does it make sense?does it cost money? No, it doesn't make a lot of sense, It will cost money. It is going to happen. I don't plan to call the guys who think it is a good idea unamerican. I doubt that is true. So far the new republican power, which is pretty much what we have been living with for decades in Kansas are spending money on junk issues and implementing punishing cuts to social programs. . Lets watch the money. If Koch brothers get richer and the working families continue working for less money, maybe big colorful chartswith arrows. maybe when madmen have no place to go but to back doors asking for handouts, maybe when third world countries send us more engineers , Watch the money.

sunny 3 years, 3 months ago

Sounding like 'Defender' has no ID and cannot get one!

sunny 3 years, 3 months ago

"Legal" registered voters? Ya think?

All-of-the-above=crazyliberalloons!

sunny 3 years, 3 months ago

"Most of us use cards for the most part. Would you like it if you had to go inside a present your id before you could slide a credit card to get gas?"

None2...Don't you mean 'most liberals use credit cards'?

Don't state 'most people' when that is not the truth.

Show the ID people...It's really no big deal...

Defender 3 years, 3 months ago

To all of you American rights hating so called conservatives, prove there is enough voter fraud to spend the cash fighting it, or shut UP.

A fool and his money are soon parted, fools. I am amazed at the lack of accountability you ignorant folks require before coughing up your tax dollars.

You get what you paid for idiots, enjoy the waste of money.

Stop lying, liars, stop lying.

And, by the way, stop lying, liars.

Just to put it mildly, stop lying, liars.

Commie jerks.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

When ststoff presented a very fine point in national polls I witnessed only an increase in attacks on Kobach. I read one poster tell him to go home to Arizona.

Sadly I find it very odd and disappointing our personal health history will be entrusted to the federal government Yet modern libs find a line in the sand and wish to fight over proving a citizen can vote. Vote without I.D. ???? My o my. What me worry. No lecture here, you figure out which is more important, showing ID to vote or giving personal health history to a government employee.

Yet, you fight the simplest battle, not showing I.D. As they say in the Ozarks, what fer merde? I will leave others to explain why you do not wish to have your health history in the hands of our government.

Men like HItler, Mussolini, Castro for example fought maiming and killing making sure elections went the way they wished. President Hussein of Iraq seemed to be a very popular, but do you think 99.9 percent voted for him?

I find it odd, a graduate of the most liberal college in the U.S. (not KU mi amigo) my townie libs are fighting to give away freedoms. Yes, to vote a legal vote is freedom.

To submit personal information the the feds isn't.

somebodynew 3 years, 3 months ago

I still think the ONLY part of this law he really wants is the part that gives his office the authority to prosecute. You can't prosecute if you don't investigate (something - it WON'T be voter fraud) so that means he has to hire investigators and attorneys. Wait to you see what he does with them.

Oh, and I bet there is not one non-documented person charged with voting illegally. Remember he has Klines right-hand man as his right-hand man. this is just all a smoke screen so he can get the prosecution power given to him.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 3 months ago

We also don't have nearly enough laws against sticking an icepick in your forehead. Kobach should really look into that next.

md 3 years, 3 months ago

It is insane that we do not have to show an i.d. to vote.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

It is annoying watching the political games and I am sure some of these folks are decent people. I have met Sam Brownback and cannot help but like the guy.

Parkinson seemed to do a nice job.

Pleasant surprises are welcome.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

Isn't it ironic that the biggest voter fraud in Kansas is perpetrated by the Republican Party through Gerrymandering and they have the arrogance to make a big deal out of a non-existant problem in order to win votes while they are reoganizing the districts to weaken the Democrats.

The voter maps in Kansas are just rediculous and they will get worse.

This guy is just out for himself and most of the guys in Topeka, regardless of political party, are just not very bright people. But once they get into office they stick around like termites.

beatrice 3 years, 3 months ago

If someone is going to the trouble of voting illegally, what would stop that person from also obtaining a fake id?

deathpenaltyliberal 3 years, 3 months ago

"Blessed4x (Rich Colson) says… Good for Mr. Kobach. Protecting the validity of our most valuable freedom is vital. Voting should at least be held to the same security standards as simply writing a check. No one seems to have a problem showing their ID then."

I guess you're the kind of lackey who wants to carry a National ID card and will bend over for the authorities whenever requested. The Founding Fathers would be disappointed that their hard won freedoms are being given up so easily. "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

deathpenaltyliberal 3 years, 3 months ago

"notathinker (anonymous) replies… Got any evidence that voting has been 'suppressed' in any state where there are voter ID laws, dpl? Didn't think so."

See the Indiana court case.

Hah hah -Nelson Muntz

Richard Heckler 3 years, 3 months ago

Obviously Mr Kobach needs some ideas about how to use his time.

How about if Kobach and the new AG team up,work up a class action law suit in order to get some Kansans a refund from the Medical Insurance Industry other wise it gets written off to a sweet windfall profit....

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Health insurers have forced consumers to pay billions of dollars in medical bills that the insurers themselves should have paid, according to a report released yesterday by the staff of the Senate Commerce Committee.

More on this story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/24/AR2009062401636.html

Kontum1972 3 years, 3 months ago

merrill..he looks like he is pro at bl*wing and enhaling...

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 3 months ago

Koldback is positioning himself to follow Brownbutt into the White House.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 3 months ago

There is not sufficient hard evidence to back up this wasting time and tax dollars.

Again it is very simple. Just ask voters to produce ID when they vote.

These neoconservatives have proven to be some very loose spenders of tax dollars.

Kontum1972 3 years, 3 months ago

so when a person who uses a phony ID to vote is caught...will the AG personally execute this person...or person's will he turn them over to Adolph Phelps for execution.

Cait48....LoL

Big Al.....Az is in enough "poo" now with their crazy gun laws...one NUT will make it even more difficult for your right your right to bear arms..one US Senator, a federal judge & assorted innocents and a little 9 year old girl. That boy saw Taxi Driver one too many times.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

Chow us your paperzzzz! Ve must have ze paperzzzz!!!

blindrabbit 3 years, 3 months ago

Sieg Heil Herr Kobach! Any thought given to tattooing I.D. numbers to prove identity!

toe 3 years, 3 months ago

This, in some form, will pass. Lawrence has been marginalized in the state house. The louder Lawrence screams, the less money is coming to town. Interesting problem.

BigAl 3 years, 3 months ago

I really don't have a problem showing ID when I vote. But, there isn't voter fraud in Kansas. Kobach is making a big deal from a non-existent problem. He will be a part-time Secretary of State and was only elected because of the "R" after his name.

He is NOT looking out for the people of Kansas. He is looking for personal national recognition and exposure for himself. Even in this article he says “When this bill passes, Kansas will be to voter fraud what Arizona is to illegal immigration.”

We have many, many more important issues to deal with than to promote Kobach on a national stage. Pathetic use of taxpayers time and money.

Michael Rowland 3 years, 3 months ago

How is it in a world where everyone is so afraid of ID theft that a law that seeks to prevent ID theft is so frowned upon? Why do I put it that way?

When I went to vote, I gave them my name. The guy with the roster read off my address and asked if it's correct. I said yes, and was handed my ballot. It would have been really easy of me to figure out where people I know are assigned to vote, go give their name, and vote for them since there is no real confirmation that I am who I say I am. It would have been pretty safe to do too, seeing as everyone I know was posting on facebook when they voted.

Potential for ID theft eliminated by doing no more than you need to do to buy a beer.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 3 months ago

How long until we get our barcode tattoos?

bad_dog 3 years, 3 months ago

"“After this bill is passed, Kansas will stand head and shoulders above the other 49 states in ensuring that elections are fair.”

Weee!

I feel like Kate Winslett in Titanic...

itwasthedukes 3 years, 3 months ago

I like the LJworld attempts to vilify people by zooming in on their face, and the crazies soak it up and attack. How many people do you know that do not have a photo id? This is not a bar code on your forehead , it is verifying you are who you say your are. Currently you could give any registered voters name and vote for them, as long as it isn't the first time they have voted.

nobody1793 3 years, 3 months ago

I second the question posed earlier that was never answered...regardless of the substance of the bill, doesn't legislation have to be introduced by someone IN the state house or senate? Or at the least, shouldn't it be introduced by the governor, for whom the secretary of state works? Can anyone introduce a bill?

Michael Rowland 3 years, 3 months ago

I do not understand all the hoopla. Back in NC you have to show an ID to vote. Never really bothered me. In fact, last November was my first election in KS. While I was waiting in line I had my ID out because I thought that was a nation-wide practice.

American citizens have the right to vote, yes. So how is a volunteer at a voting site going to tell the difference between an American citizen and someone who isn't? Oh, if only there was some easy, quick fire way of telling who is an American citizen of voting age. How can we do that? OH! That's right, every US citizen is legally required to carry gov't issued ID at all times. And I believe we are supposed to produce said ID for gov't officials upon request. How does it hurt ANYONE to pull out a little card to give to someone to prove you are who you say you are? It's not that they don't trust you, it's that there are those out there who aren't worthy of such trust so it's just easier to have one really simple action to clear a small thing up.

It's kind of like the AMC 30 in Olathe, in the section with the bar, they have the policy that they card anyone under the age of 99. That way no one needs to feel discriminated against for being singled out because they don't look old enough. And I don't mind pulling out my ID for a drink nor to be able to vote.

Orwell 3 years, 3 months ago

P.T. Barnum, Kansas Secretary of State: "There's a sucker born every minute."

This is a proposal to suppress voting by making it more difficult to vote. Does anybody happen to remember which party's operatives have been caught with their hands in the vote-suppression cookie jar time after time? Exactly which party wants to restrict access to the polls now? It's irrelevant whether this would be a large or small additional burden – the effect will be fewer people voting, and there's zero evidence it would impede more illegal votes (there are virtually none presently) than legal ones. This is partisan manipulation of the electoral process, pure and simple – with unknown added expense we can't afford.

All the simplistic appeals to "ballot integrity" are just a cover-up for a Republican method to make it just a little harder for "the wrong people" (non-Republicans) to vote – with the added element of generating unwarranted fear of "those foreigners." Does anybody really believe there are illegals stupid enough to attract attention to themselves and risk deportation for the sake of casting a single vote in Kansas? Really?

Those of you who fall for Kobach's line, I can offer you an easy payment plan for a certain well-known bridge.

deathpenaltyliberal 3 years, 3 months ago

"ststoff (anonymous) says… I believe voters across the country want Voter ID.. Rasmussen Poll 82% Say Voters Should Be Required to Show Photo ID."

That would be 82% of Republicans who think it is a good idea to suppress legal (but likely Democratic) voters. Rasmussen Poll has no legitimacy, it's run for the GOP..

pizzapete 3 years, 3 months ago

I want to see this guys birth certificate, I'll bet he isn't even from this planet.

EarthaKitt 3 years, 3 months ago

Explain this to me - if these easy-to-get, state-issued ID cards would provide identification for voters without a driver's license etc., exactly how are those individuals expected to prove who they are when they are being issued this new ID card? If they have to prove who they are to get these voter IDs then isn't their problem still a problem and therefore a voting deterrent? And if getting the new IDs doesn't require some sort of proof of identification, the can't I just go and get 16 state-issued voter ID cards?

Blessed4x 3 years, 3 months ago

ibroke 3 years, 3 months ago

looks like he is doing what he was elected to do

ibroke 3 years, 3 months ago

Here are the duties ----- The Secretary of State is the chief elections officer of the state, administering elections and voter registration throughout the state. The office also files campaign finance reports[2] and registers lobbyists.[3] The duty of regulating lobbying and campaign finance is shared with the Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission.

[edit] EconomicThe Secretary operates the Business Filing Center, which registers business entities, trademarks, trade names, and liens made pursuant to the Uniform Commercial Code.[4]

The secretary regulates a wide variety of businesses, including sports agents, trade unions,[5] cemeteries, and funeral homes.[6]

[edit] AdministrativeThe Secretary's Publications Section is responsible for publishing various legal and informational documents for the state. This includes statutory and administrative law publications such as session laws, regulations, and the state's gazette, the Kansas Register.[7]

The Secretary also operates "Safe at Home," the state's Address Confidentiality Program[8] and conducts census adjustments.[9]

Kontum1972 3 years, 3 months ago

does he have any powerpoint slides to show us the voter fraud?

Jean1183 3 years, 3 months ago

I have a very unusual MALE name and I am a female. I am never asked for proof of identity when I vote. They always raise their eyebrows or comment on my name though. How do they know that I am not voting for someone else?

notajayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I always wonder why the whiners in Larryville are so opposed to having to produce an ID. As ststoff pointed out above, people around the country are heavily in favor of this. There is absolutely no evidence that voter ID laws have disenfranchised anyone or reduce voter turnout. The Supreme Court has already ruled that voter ID laws do not present an undue burden or obstacle to exercising voting rights. Why are the Larryville loons so opposed?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 3 months ago

"and increase the powers of Kobach’s office"

There's the real bottomline on this.

Bananajoe 3 years, 3 months ago

If the state requires voters to have ID's it will need to be provided for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! .I am all for it!!!! Let's spend the money we don't have in a problem we don't have. That has to be good for the economy...ritght?

bd 3 years, 3 months ago

I have nothing to hide , I will gladly show my Photo ID with pride when I vote! What is your problem here libs?? Or should I say "sore losers"

Tea anyone??? LOL!

Mr_Missive 3 years, 3 months ago

Give me a break. If you get pulled over for speeding you have to produce ID, they can ask for ID when you use your credit card, they require ID before you get a home loan, board an airplane --- I can keep on going. I think all of you nut jobs that think you shouldn't have to show ID for voting should refuse to produce ID the next time you get a speeding ticket, apply for a mortgage or board an airplane. Walk your talk.

nugget 3 years, 3 months ago

We're all witnessing the next Phil Kline.

KS 3 years, 3 months ago

To those opposing: If there is not a problem, then you should have no objection to the proposal. You should be happy that someone is looking out for you. Have you ever tried to cash a check lately, boarded an airplane, used a credit card, go to a doctor and the list can go on and on! This is not an unreasonable concept. I think this Lawrence community is opposed simply becasue Koback has an "R" behind his name. Just look at all the trash talk that preceeded this posting.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

I think Kobach would make a funny character in "Police Academy" or "Reno 911".

Kansas politics always has at least one character like Kobach to entertain us.

Surely there are other solutions looking for problems that don't exist where we can spend more money we don't have and complicate our life with more paperwork, forms and nonsense than we already have.

How about looking for ways we can save money and reduce government expense so we don't have to send mental patients out onto the streets?

Richard Heckler 3 years, 3 months ago

This is easy...

A drivers license or Kansas ID from the drivers license bureau or a college ID or .........

His idea will not be any safer or prevent counterfeiting. It's all grandstanding. He's a show off!

Don't let him blow tax dollars for no damn reason

JJE007 3 years, 3 months ago

The sky is falling and kaBOTCH is holding up air...so that Tinkerbell isn't crushed... We've GOT to be LEAVE!~)

grammaddy 3 years, 3 months ago

He should have stayed in Arizona.

75x55 3 years, 3 months ago

Yyeeessssss - heee isss comingggg toooo stteeeeeeell yourrrr childrensssss.....

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

I watched WIBW's (the Topeka TV station) newscast about this story tonight. The one phrase I remember was this, "This is a solution looking for a problem." Frankly, as it's a "non-problem", what other reason would he be doing it for if it wasn't to disenfranchise people? We should also remember that any action he takes will have to be first legislated and that legislation will have to withstand Constitutional challenge. More money wasted on a "non-problem" by a bankrupt state.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

Dangerous men or women do not fight for fair elections. It's the other way around.

Disk2Legacy 3 years, 3 months ago

I think Kobach is trying to be proactive rather than reactive. I think this is a very good idea. Remember in order to have a drivers license one must show a birth certificate.

somebodynew 3 years, 3 months ago

Remember this little paragraph - "increase penalties for voter fraud and increase the powers of Kobach’s office and the attorney general’s office to prosecute election violations."

Now the CJ article didn't mention the AG's Office in that paragraph and I REALLY believe he has it written that HIS Office (SOS) well be granted the power to prosecute violations. I think this voter ID thing is just to get people riled up and distracted so HIS office can get prosecution powers. Then watch out just WHAT he chooses to prosecute without having to run it by another office (like the AG).

He is going for the Power and disguising it until it is passed and then he has the power to just do what he wants and somehow tie it to election/voter fraud.

This in one dangerous man and he is just getting started.

boltzmann 3 years, 3 months ago

I thought you had to be a legislator to introduce legislation? I didn't realize that that was part of the secretary of state's portfolio.

ststoff 3 years, 3 months ago

I believe voters across the country want Voter ID..

Rasmussen Poll 82% Say Voters Should Be Required to Show Photo ID. .

Thursday, August 19, 2010

An overwhelming majority of Likely Voters in the United States think all voters in the country should be required to present photo identification in order to vote in U.S. elections. A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Voters finds that just 14% disagree and think the current identification system is sufficient. Just 4% are undecided on the issue. This is a sentiment that spans demographics, as majorities in every demographic agree that photo identification should be required to vote.

This Rasmussen poll illustrates that Voter I. D.is wanted by the American citizens nation wide. This is not right wing it is American citizens fed up with election fraud . .We hear in the news about groups like ACORN and allegations of voter fraud across the nation. To imply this doesn't happen in Kansas is to say that a Winter storm that starts in the Northern regions of our country some how stops at the Kansas border. .

overplayedhistory 3 years, 3 months ago

I can not imagine making voting fraud an issue when the state is already all Republican, is he worried democrats are getting turned away at the voting booth? Does he feel sorry for Dems and want a more fair sporting fight? Doesn't he have anything better to do like figuring out how to marginalize the only two blue counties in Kansas through redistricting?

Scott Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

formerfarmer..........shhh shhh The Lemmings are massing near the bluff, please don't mention logic as showing ID to purchase a pair of socks with a check picking up courtesy Royals tickets, getting hitched .........................................on and on.

formerfarmer 3 years, 3 months ago

Come on people. You show photo ID to get on an airplane, use a credit card, when registering a vehicle, entering a hospital, etc. It is not the end of the world. We show photo ID for a lot of things that are a lot less important.

ophiuchus 3 years, 3 months ago

“When this bill passes, Kobach will be to voter fraud what Don Quixote is to windmills.”

ToriFreak13 3 years, 3 months ago

Her ballot was not put into an envelope...it was put into the machine. So who checks to see whether or not it will be accepted? Keeping in mind there is no requirement to show an ID, what keeps anyone from voting with a different name if all they have to do is fill out a new registration card at each location?

ToriFreak13 3 years, 3 months ago

i have witnessed loopholes that would encourage fraud at polling stations in Lawrence. During the last election I overheard a voter claim she just moved to that side of town and had not received her new registration card. She was asked for an ID to prove her new address...but it had her old address and she stated she had not gotten it changed yet. She was given a blank voter registration card to fill out and a ballot to vote in that district. She could have easily reported to the district she was indeed already registered at and voted again, or for any matter went to other districts and gave the same excuse. You don't have to wait for a tragedy to happen to instill protections against future tragedies. These proposals protect everyone from becoming victims of fraud from any party.

Phillbert 3 years, 3 months ago

I hope he next addresses the rampant problem of Bigfoot attacks. (And I'm not going to let any of you Yeti-sympathizers tell me that isn't a problem in this state.)

CLARKKENT 3 years, 3 months ago

THE ONLY VOTER FRAUD THAT I KNOW OF IS THAT HE WAS ELECTED.

Kirk Larson 3 years, 3 months ago

Kobach knows there is voter fraud. He saw a six foot rabbit registered under the obvious pseudonym of "Harvey" voting at multiple locations.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 3 months ago

during this time of financial crisis, exactly how much money is he going to spend fixing a problem that does not really exist?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 3 months ago

I did not see anyone mention that this is another stab at the "illegal immigration" problem. Koldbach think there is massive voting by his illegal immigration people he has rounded up in Arizona. Good logic! Vote Republican!! Or get accused of fraud.

douglas6280 3 years, 3 months ago

Ok, let me get this straight, some would rather have voter fraud ignored even to the point we do nothing to prevent it? I don't get it. If you are legal to vote you are ok.

Randall Uhrich 3 years, 3 months ago

We need to impeach this stupid SOB right now before he gets any more hair-brained ideas. Let him PROVE that there's ANY voter fraud in Kansas. He's just wasting the money we spend on his salary. All he intends to do is intimidate voters that usually vote Democratic. ALYOSHA expressed the argument more eloquently, but my words express my outrage at this ethical t*rd.

BigAl 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree with bozo on this. Kobach got elected because he had an "R" after his name. He ran a fear-based campaign and now he will be a part-time Secretary of State. Kansas voters knew this going in but elected him anyway.

SouthWestKs 3 years, 3 months ago

WilburM, I have said this before but will say it again.. Prove to me there is no voter fraud..

jehovah_bob 3 years, 3 months ago

Kobach's reply to skeptics, "Of course there is voter fraud in Kansas, how do you think I elected?"

WilburM 3 years, 3 months ago

Vote-reducing measures in response to a non-problem.

Voting policies require a balance between encouragement and fraud prevention. Given that THERE IS NO FRAUD we should err on the side of getting as many eligible voters to the polls as possible. In the end, Kobach is seeking to suppress voters, many of whom -- elderly, poor, Hispanics, African Americans -- who would vote Democratic. This after the GOP sweeps the state's elections.

Honestly, he has no shame.