Archive for Thursday, January 6, 2011

Statehouse Live: Gov.-elect Brownback urges Kansans to pray for elected leaders

January 6, 2011

— Gov.-elect Sam Brownback on Thursday urged Kansans to pray for elected leaders on Sunday as part of an inaugural prayer service.

"I know elected leaders, including myself, deeply appreciate the prayers of Kansans from all faith traditions," Brownback said.

"In this difficult economic time, all of us need divine guidance in making tough choices for our families and our communities. I ask that you please remember state leaders during your time of worship this week," he said.

Brownback, a Republican, will be sworn into office Monday as the 2011 legislative session starts.

Brownback and Lt.Gov.-elect Jeff Colyer are holding an inaugural prayer service on Sunday at MidAmerica Nazarene University in Olathe.

Comments

thuja 3 years, 3 months ago

Brownback as actor, playing his role as Governor, saying all the right things to get all the right props. That's all there is to this. Work is action. Talk is talk.

Paul R Getto 3 years, 3 months ago

I'd guess Sam wants us to pray to his muscular Jesus, the union buster hero of the C Street Cult: I'll offer up some to other skygods from our southern friends: [Aztec:] Ometeotl: A sky god known as the god above all. Quetzalcoatl: A god who flew in the sky, known as "Feathered serpent", "Morning Star" and creator god. Tlauixcalpantecuhtli : A sky god known as "Lord of the house of dawn." Tonatiuh: Sky god known as "God of the Sun." == Of course if the followers of these skygods are right, the Senator won't get to run for president as he intends. The world will have gone away sometime, I believe, in the fall of 2012, December 21, 2012, to be exact. Worth a prayer anyway. Frankly, I prefer the gods you can get your arms around, Zao Jun the Chinese Kitchen god, for example. At least he'll feed you and intervene when the other gods try to mess with your life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_God

verity 3 years, 3 months ago

Personally, I don't think it is irrelevant.

I feel like he's using his position to push religion down my throat. Of course, I'm not surprised, but I still don't like it. Now that may be a silly feeling, but it still makes me cringe. If it was someone who was less publicly "Christian" I wouldn't like it either, but I probably wouldn't feel that there was an agenda behind it.

After all, he is a member of the "Family" and Opus Dei, whose agendas are to make the U.S. a theocracy. (This is not a conspiracy theory, it is well documented. If you don't believe it, look it up.)

What I really don't like about these organizations, besides the fact that they don't respect the wall between church and state, is that they are secretive and underhanded.

And for those of you who don't believe there should be a wall between church and state---be careful what you wish for. Your group won't necessarily be the one in control. I don't know of any instance in history where the combination has turned out to be good for either the church (or any religion) or state.

Glenn Reed 3 years, 3 months ago

Not sure why so many folks are shocked and/or appalled at this. Everyone knew the guy was a religious man, so it's not out of character for the guy.

Asking for prayer wouldn't be out of character if he supported gay marriage.

Asking for prayer wouldn't be out of character if his position on education made sense.

Asking for prayer wouldn't be out of character if he could tell the difference between "intelligent design" and "actual science."

I think the fact that Mr. Brownback asked for prayers is, at best, silly. Also, silly at worst. It's completely irrelevant to the issues that make him a bad governor.

Kontum1972 3 years, 3 months ago

Pray...like a Praying Mantis?

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

Regarding the pot shots people are taking at religion;

I am a long time resident of Lawrence and have raised a family here. I don't personally know anyone that shares your views. Of the thousands of people I have met in and around Lawrence, it would be very rare to meet a person who trashes religion and criticizes the comment made by Sam Brownback.

So which version of Lawrence does the rest of Kansas, as represented in Anthony Brown's comments, believe is the real Lawrence.

I would say they lean toward the negative version because that is what Republicans do. I used to listen to Limbaugh for years and that is what he does and all the right wing nuts and even the left wing nuts. They need a villain. So Lawrence has become a convenient villain for at least some Kansas Republicans.

I have news for you. There are no werewolves or vampires. It is just a story.

loverofidiots 3 years, 3 months ago

My prayer is that our governor will accept the people who are so unaccepting and intolerant, like many of the people replying here. Let's let the governor be who he is and you be who you want to be without criticizing values that are close to his heart.

kcxd45 3 years, 3 months ago

"....And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor. "

God Bless you all. Good night.

bad_dog 3 years, 3 months ago

I have to believe Brownback will rationalize that whatever pops into his brain was divinely inspired. I'd rather pray for this country and its citizens directly and hope the politicians don't continue to prey on us.

Romans832 3 years, 3 months ago

If prayer has no effect, then what's the harm in praying?

In the book of Acts, there was a man named Gamaliel who was advocating for sanity in how to deal with the apostles--some wanted to kill them. G. thought that was pretty radical. Basically his argument was, "If these men are men of God, nothing you do will be able to stop them. If they are not from God, their work will fail." http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%205:38-39&version=NIV

guesswho 3 years, 3 months ago

I will pray we follow the teachings of the Bible. My first prayer is to remove all figs from Kansas, as Jesus hates figs.

Mark 11:12-14.

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

I rather like Jobu (the god from Major League the one who had a whole bucket of KFC instead of a whole chicken). Dude steals Jobu's liquor and says "up your butt Jobu" and dude gets nailed in the head with a baseball bat. That is the god that I have chosen to follow

JustAsking 3 years, 3 months ago

For those who missed my earlier response to KCXD45, 1:20 post:

So??? Your last paragraph is a really Christian like!! Surely you have violated one your sins!! Oh, I forgot, sometime today you’ll be asking someone for forgiveness and everything will then be just fine.

For thousands of years people thought the lighting and thunder were "god's" tools. For hundreds of years the “doctors” let blood to cure people disease. Now we know both beliefs were incorrect. Just because it has happened in the past, doesn’t make it right. Just because a group of people have used a government facility doesn’t make it right. Don’t use this as justification for what you say is "right".

When to the other "faiths" get access to the government property (US Capital Building). Which one should be first? How each “faith” get one Sunday. Of course only American citizens are welcome. Oh, I forgot, there’s only one true faith. The one you believe in. The rest of the people are wrong. And after all, your “faith” got there first.

I’ve hear it said "More people have died in the name of their god, or what he/she was a alleged to have said, than for any other cause in history”. That can’t be good!!

The “nut jobs” are the one pushing their “what is right is what I believe” on everyone else. If you don’t believe as I do, your wrong! You must agree with “Topeka Fred” and his bunch of nut jobs. Do they represent what you feel is “RIGHT”.

JustAsking 3 years, 3 months ago

I like this one by Janis and I pray every morning. I think there are enough "lords" in my request:

Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz. My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends. Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends. So oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz Oh lord won't you buy me a color TV. Dialing for dollars is trying to find me. I wait for delivery each day until 3. So oh lord won't you buy me a color TV. Oh lord won't you buy me a night on the town. I'm counting on you lord, please don't let me down. Prove that you love me and buy the next round. Oh lord won't you buy me a night on the town. Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends. Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends. So oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz

Hee, Hee, Hee, Hee.........

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 3 months ago

Uh, which god do I pray to? Who does the governer-elect pray to? If the Christian God is busy squishing liberals, does he have time to listen to Kansas Republicans who bow and scrape to the governer-elect? I wonder if Allah is available? Or maybe well....who is left??

Bob Forer 3 years, 3 months ago

Would be glad to, provided someone show me how to pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

jonas_opines 3 years, 3 months ago

Great Cthulhu, mighty lord, please spare a moment of your. . . thought towards our elected officials. They need your attentions. Desperately.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Too bad Brownback didn't belong to a church where the pastor declared "dog damn America". Liberals seem to be okay with that flavor of religion.

Catalano 3 years, 3 months ago

Sam's a C-Streeter all the way...even back here in Kansas. I just wonder if I could get him to wash my feet sometime during his tenure. Maybe he could have a "Governor Washes Feet of Constituents Day".

C-Street, you ask? Google Jeff Sharlet.

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

I do not understand how people can still believe that man and dinosaur walked on the earth at the same time; furthermore I can not uderstand how people would cast their vote for a person who believes that the movie "Caveman" is a documentary.

Parting the water, getting preggers without sex/ artificial insemination(although I have used the line "the holy ghost is about to enter you"), a boat with two of every animal, turning a fish into thousands (am interested about the magic that made all of the wine)

ivalueamerica 3 years, 3 months ago

I prayed, but they are still in Topeka, they have not been smote yet for their false witness.

seeker_of_truth 3 years, 3 months ago

Next announcement from Sammie will be that Westboro Baptist is official state church and Fred official state chaplin.

JustAsking 3 years, 3 months ago

Isn’t there a clause in the constitution regarding the separation of church and state???

Somehow related to the negative influence of the Church or England on England government in the 1700’s?

Get religion out of the business of government!!

Why should they remain "non-profit"?

It's time to eliminate the tax exemption for religious organizations in the state. They hold sizable tracks of the land and should pay local property tax. In addition, they should pay sales tax and all "donations" to these organizations should be treated as income and be taxed.

This would help everone and reduce the taxes on the businesses, rich, poor and the middle class. Also, it could go a long way toward reducing the budget shortfall.

Jimo 3 years, 3 months ago

My prayer for the next four years is that Sam will be accepting of wearing the robes of Caesar and stop playing dress up as God.

autie 3 years, 3 months ago

God Hates Tires. Sam will make Jesus cry.

bobberboy 3 years, 3 months ago

i already prayed but it did'nt work because you were elected saman.

seeker_of_truth 3 years, 3 months ago

Just pray we can survive 4 years of Brownie as governor.

MarchSadness 3 years, 3 months ago

Politics and religion have no place together. Keep your fairy tales to yourself Gov. Brownback. Jesus hates you!

Mary Darst 3 years, 3 months ago

knew you would love this article.

autie 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe throw some salt over my shoulder and avoid black cats too. Prey or pray? No wonder the sheeples get consumed by the big bad wolf.