Archive for Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Brownback expresses confidence in private arts funding

August 17, 2011

On Tuesday, the National Endowment for the Arts said it couldn’t provide assistance to Kansas because of Brownback’s decision to withdraw state aid to the Kansas Arts Commission. The decision probably cost Kansas about $1.2 million.

Brownback applied a line-item veto to funding the Kansas Arts Commission, essentially leaving an agency with no budget or staff. He proposed fundraising be handled by a new non-government foundation.

On Wednesday, Brownback said he wished the NEA had given Kansas more time and worked with the state.

He said private money is being raised for the arts, although he said that will take some time.

“I am pleased to see what the commission has done to date,” he said.

In the past, Kansas invested about $700,000 annually to secure $1.2 million in external grants for arts programs scattered throughout the state.

During the last legislative session, Brownback had proposed getting rid of the Arts Commission and replacing it with a private fund-raising group.

But his executive order to do that was rejected on a bipartisan vote in the Senate. Legislators in the House and Senate then approved a state budget that included $689,000 for the Arts Commission, but Brownback vetoed that funding.

Comments

Pastor_Bedtime 2 years, 11 months ago

Why don't you start, Sam, by donating all of the welfare you've received through farm subsidies?

chootspa 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't expect transparency from him on that or any other issue.

George_Braziller 2 years, 11 months ago

Brownback always did scare the hell out of me, but in less than seven months as Governor his warped logic shows he's even more out of touch with the real world than I thought.

ARCADIA — Gov. Sam Brownback on Wednesday expressed confidence in arts funding in Kansas despite the announcement that the state lost federal matching grants because he vetoed state funding for the arts.

“I am pleased to see what the commission has done to date,” he said.

And that would be what? I believe the answer is "nothing."

George_Braziller 2 years, 11 months ago

I'll leave some aluminum cans for recycling. That will raise more money than the commission will.

Might even drop off some sheet music for a garage sale fundraiser. I will however have it blessed first so he at least has a song and a prayer.

chootspa 2 years, 11 months ago

They had a meeting. They also scrubbed the old websites to hide how much the previous commission did. That's something he's pleased to see.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 11 months ago

Bingo. The old website was excellent because it indicated a well organized and dedicated group of people who were doing a lot of good things in Kansas before politics killed them off.

Bob_Keeshan 2 years, 11 months ago

“I am pleased to see what the commission has done to date,” he said.

Well geez, that's good enough for me.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 11 months ago

They haven't done anything, and that pleases him.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 11 months ago

Good "Christian" art, of course. But for Sam, there's no other kind.

Eride 2 years, 11 months ago

To recap his term to this point... He has lost hundreds if not thousands of jobs, lost tens of millions of dollars of funding and shifted state spending burdens onto local tax payers under the guise of reducing state spending.

Can anyone point to anything positive he has done or is he really just taking a wrecking ball to the state of Kansas?

deec 2 years, 11 months ago

The problem is that he can do anything he wants to in the eyes of his supporters as long as he's also "savin' babies." He's against abortion, so he's all right by them.

Alfred_W 2 years, 11 months ago

Thank goodness for the wayback machine. Here's what the KAC website said back in 2009 about economic impact of nonprofit arts: http://web.archive.org/web/20090204010252/http://arts.ks.gov/economic_impact.shtml

The Kansas Arts Commission has contracted with Americans for the Arts to conduct an economic impact study of the arts statewide. The report will be completed in February 2009.

Within the last four years, Americans for the Arts has completed four studies of the impact of the arts in Kansas communities: Lawrence, Metropolitan Kansas City, Salina and Sedgwick County).

In Salina, Kansas (population 45,676) in 2005:

Nonprofit arts generated over $23.7 million in local economic activity (spending by organizations and their audiences):

$ 11.9 million by nonprofit arts organizations $ 11.8 million in event and event-related spending by audiences The nonprofit arts support 815 full-time jobs:

Generating $12.7 million in household income to local residents Delivering more than $2 million in local and state government revenues

In Wichita, Kansas (population 354,865) in 2005:

Nonprofit arts generated over $49.1 million in local economic activity (spending by organizations and their audiences):

$27.5 million by nonprofit arts organizations $21.6 million in event and event-related spending by audiences The nonprofit arts support 814 full-time jobs:

Generating more than $20.3 million in household income to local residents Delivering 2.3 million in local and state government revenues. To learn more about the economic impact of the arts, go to Americans for the Arts.

Lana Christie-Hayes 2 years, 11 months ago

I can only pray that there will be something left of our (once) great state before this disgusting excuse of a man and governor has taken a giant wrecking ball to destroy it for good! It just makes my blood boil!!

notanota 2 years, 11 months ago

If you're tired of reading about it, perhaps you should stop obsessing about something that happened over twenty years ago.

Ken Lassman 2 years, 11 months ago

And was that tired excuse of a project funded by Kansas Arts Commission?

ljwhirled 2 years, 11 months ago

Who cares? If government only funded stuff I like, there would be a whole lot less F-22 Raptors and Nuclear Weapons on this planet.

Spending on art (even bad art) is eclipsed by several orders of magnitude by spending on really wastefull BS.

For example, the second engine for the F-35 that the military doesn't want, Lockheed doesn't want and the program will never use. The only folks who want it are the ones making it. That project alone wasted $3 billion (that is 3,000 Million) dollars. Compare that to the piddly $170M budget of the NEA.

The fact that this is even an issue is simply stupid. Don't we have something better to argue about than the culture wars.

I'll give you a preview, fill in the blanks.

Someone will want to do something new and different __(gay marriage).

Religious conservatives will oppose this new thing.

The media will write about it until we all want to puke.

Several years will go by.

The thing the conservatives feared will come to pass.

No one will be harmed, the world won't end, society will move on.

Until someone wants to do something new and different ___ (build a mosque 6 blocks from ground zero).......................................

ljwhirled 2 years, 11 months ago

I'll give you a preview, fill in the blanks.

Someone will want to do something new and different __(gay marriage).

Religious conservatives will oppose this new thing.

The media will write about it until we all want to puke.

Several years will go by.

The thing the conservatives feared will come to pass.

No one will be harmed, the world won't end, society will move on.

bcolley 2 years, 11 months ago

You do realize that happened 20 years ago. You're not really making an argument by bringing up ancient controversies - just showing how little you know about art. Maybe you could use some of that arts funding?

Jan Rolls 2 years, 11 months ago

So sam the sham tell us how much private money you have raised so far your director won't. By the way, exactly where is the first job you have created other than those for your buddies?

notanota 2 years, 11 months ago

Ballet lessons, community theaters, and piano concerts all deserve to be tarred and feathered because someone twenty years ago had one tiny piece of an art exhibit in another state that you didn't like. But you're fair, because some other thing in some other state should be privately funded, too.

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Welcome to Brownbackistan!! Here is your host....Sam the Sham Brownback!

Alfred_W 2 years, 11 months ago

Looking at the DOL link you posted, I see that the raw number of people claiming unemployment benefits across all state and federal programs is down over 2.5 million from a year ago.

ljwhirled 2 years, 11 months ago

It doesn't matter where he goes on vacation, it will cost millions.

At least he didn't build a second home for the taxpayers to secure.

How much did "clearing brush" cost the taxpayers?

This is such a stupid, FOX News fueled, Rush Limbaugh BS issue.

Go back to your AM radio.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 11 months ago

Whoopee!! He contributed money that wasn't really his, anyway. What a guy!!

notanota 2 years, 11 months ago

$30,000 down, $1,199,970,000 in pointlessly lost funding to go!

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

And put out blind faith and trust that Brown Nose Brownbackistan, the religious zealot won't use this money to bribe more lawyers to sue against abortion providers in the future?! What kind of Kool-Aid have U been drinkin?

tomatogrower 2 years, 11 months ago

I donated the money when I paid my taxes. It should be going to where the representatives of our state allocated it. Unfortunately, there were too many ALEC puppets to overturn Brownback's veto.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

I assume you therefore oppose the unnecessary administrative positions the governor has created, and the hiring of outside counsel to defend against lawsuits, etc.

We're paying $1200/hr for 4 lawyers on one lawsuit alone - I wonder how much money that will wind up being in the end?

While we have a perfectly good AG's office, already funded with tax dollars, that could and should do the job instead.

bcolley 2 years, 11 months ago

All those people - Coast Guard, secret service, aides, officials - would still be getting paid the same amount whether they went to Martha's Vineyard or not. They're on the payroll.

And what president hasn't gone to Martha's Vineyard? Perhaps the president should just stay home and watch FOX news?

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks, rockchalk. I'll revise a bit by saying this...Obama and Brownback are two peas in a pod. I know what many here are thinking "Why the heck would you say that?" Good question. Here's why...under the anemic leadership of these two nimrods, both our state and country are headed towards the ABYSS!!

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Fiscal responsibility @ whose expense?! Both of these JERKS have $ millions. What benefit is that to US?

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Well, then, since Brownbackistan has private money to spend, UNLIKE most of us, he can damn well fund the arts all by himself!!! Do YOU understand the correlation here?!

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Well, glad you enjoyed the Kool-Aid. That arts money that Brownback took away when he WRONGLY abolished the Kansas Arts Commission was not HIS personal money to throw away. It belonged to the people of Kansas. He damn well can re-imburse that money all by himself, regardless of what kind of "art" exists.

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, we can, as long as Obama's pension is revoked after he gets kicked out of office! That money (OUR money) is a small down-payment but it's a start! It's going to be one hell of a climb, but it can be done!

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

"could"

The question is will they, or will the money simply be spend on other things, the way that the office rent money for SRS is being spent on new administrative positions.

Let's wait and see - I won't hold my breath, though.

My prediction is that you and I will see very little of that tax money - if there are tax breaks/reductions, they will be for the corporations, not for us.

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Jafs, your point is understood loud and clear. However, those of us who CANNOT stand the extremism of the two idiots (Brownbackistan and Obama, the Socialist) need a way to stand up and make our voices louder. The two parties we have are very similar and they are PITIFUL. Whichever of the two we choose in 2012 or beyond, we're going to lose until we can get a stronger collective voice from a 3rd party.

tomatogrower 2 years, 11 months ago

This particular spending cut is going to cost a lot of jobs in Kansas. They in turn will need to draw their unemployment. If they have found no job when that runs out they will have to get food stamps or welfare. All of this will cost a lot more money than the piddling amount that was the art commission.

bklonnie 2 years, 11 months ago

Get a clue if you think Brownback is a fiscal conservative. Sheesh, you're a right winger and you can't even identify your own guys? There are two types of convseratives - fiscally conservative and socially conservative. Brownback is the latter.

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm with you all the way. Brownbackistan knows NOTHING about fiscal responsibility. All he cares about is making abortions ILLEGAL through his own twisted religion.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

Let's apply that same formula to those that want the massive military spending we're currently engaged in.

Can I have all of my taxes that have gone to funding military projects I disagree with back please?

I promise to immediately send them to arts organizations that I do support.

And, those that want to continue funding the military projects can do so, out of their own pockets.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

Much of our spending on the military doesn't protect anybody, and may in fact make it more likely that we'll be attacked.

If you want the funding for the arts to be the "responsibility...of the people that want the arts", then I want the funding for much of our military spending to work the same way.

Ok?

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

I said "much of our..."

If you're going to quote me, please do so in a way that doesn't alter the meaning of what I've said.

Since I never suggested we eliminate military funding, or funding for the local police, your next comments are rather irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

You don't realize that KS residents pay taxes that fund the military?

That's odd.

ljwhirled 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree, lets do the same for the military.

Better yet, why don't we move spending power to the people?

Every taxpayer gets to divide their tax return into the broad categories they want to fund.

In my case:

33% Social Security 17% Medicare 15% Health and Human Services 15% NASA 5% Foreign Aid 5% Defense 5% Financial Regulation 5% Discretionary - US Congress

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Since everyone in society except government continually gets pay CUTS, how bout we cut Congress' pay by 75%? Sounds fair to me.

tomatogrower 2 years, 11 months ago

So, conservatives hate art? That's really sad.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

You can do the same with outdated weapons platforms, $100 hammers, and the like.

Ok?

I'll be glad to make the trade - give me back all of the taxes I've paid for military spending that I find wasteful and unnecessary, and you can have your tax dollars back that are spent on art.

Then I'll give mine to arts organizations, and you can give yours to the military to fund those things.

My guess is that the arts organizations will wind up a bit ahead.

bcolley 2 years, 11 months ago

Bringing up 20-year-old controversies isn't helping make your point. It just shows you don't know much about the arts.

notanota 2 years, 11 months ago

My guess is that "lame stream media" has access to Snopes. http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/money.asp

bklonnie 2 years, 11 months ago

Nice one. And I'm sure rockchalk got his info from the place that every good right-winger gets their "facts": Rush Limbaugh.

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

ROFLMAO: As I type this, I'm cracking up because the following is very true: Rush Limbaugh, a rich fat cat, drooling over more tax breaks.

bklonnie 2 years, 11 months ago

Spoken like someone who knows they've been defeated. Nice how you have zero rebuttal for the Snopes article. And don't tell me to keep drinking the Obama Kool-Aid; I don't care for the guy and think he's doing a lousy job.

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, here in Kansas you have a moron who is nothing more than a religious zealot who knows not a damn thing about economics. Meanwhile the other moron takes a vacation when our nation's economy is in turmoil! No matter what the Kool-Aid, we're all being poisoned.

tomatogrower 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't let the facts sway you, rock.

Bob_Keeshan 2 years, 11 months ago

Didn't you say ABC refused to cover Rezko?

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

Yep.

"You won't hear this in any of the lame stream media like abc"

Bob_Keeshan 2 years, 11 months ago

No, it just proves you are full of crap.

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

"On Wednesday, Brownback said he wished the NEA had given Kansas more time and worked with the state"

What kind of crap is this? He did not give any time B 4 he gutted the Arts Commission. Oh, and now he wants to with with the Feds? Sounds pretty damn wishy washy to me. No wonder the smell of pollution from Topeka filters all over the Sunflower State!

CrazyUkrainian1 2 years, 11 months ago

Who are the morons that voted for this jackass!?

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

I was one who voted for him. OK! Happy now!?! U, however, can cut the name-calling crap. Sham Brownbackistan is a dope. I knew he was more concerned about anti-abortion issues instead of protecting women's health. I bought his crap that he was going to fix our economy and create jobs. I know that to be false.

Yes, I made a mistake but it's one I will NEVER make again!!!

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

I voted Sebelius in. Does that count?

CrazyUkrainian1 2 years, 11 months ago

You just proved my point that he's a jackass. It's the Republicans like him that caused this economic mess to begin with so how would you ever think he could fix it!? He likes it just the way it is.

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Tom Holland had NO solutions to offer!!!!

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

I certainly did not vote for this idiot-in-chief.

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

The arts are a form of education.

Will people without children have the option of opting out of paying taxes used for the education for the children of others? I'm sure some wealthy individuals who like the idea of educating children will step up to fund schools, but people without children shouldn't be paying to support the breeding habits of others.

rhd99 2 years, 11 months ago

Never gonna happen. Government zealots from both sides want it their way. As long as we have them, U and I are going to be stuck paying the bill, regardless of whether or not we have children in schools.

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

Since I used to live in Kansas I still have friends in Kansas and friends involved in the arts in Kansas, and I actually believe it is of national importance.

You live in Kansas, correct? Why do you have an avatar that pictures a governor from Arizona whose major achievement has been signing into law an anti-immigration bill that has, thus far, been largerly gutted by the courts for being unconstitutional?

She also has problems conjugating verbs.

bklonnie 2 years, 11 months ago

Why didn't any Republican administrations take up that task either? The answer is that no one at the federal level, from either side, wants to address the issue. The federal level is where it needs to be addressed, not the state level. And contrary to what you probably think, illegal immigration didn't just pop up since Obama took office.

Good job making partisan attacks again though. Seems to be your shtick.

jafs 2 years, 11 months ago

Who elected you master of the universe?

What makes you think you can tell people what is and isn't their business to be concerned about?

If it affects people she knows and cares about, that's a perfectly good reason to be concerned about it.

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

How do you know where I pay or don't pay taxes? Also, I care for my fellow Americans and believe in the whole "united" part of the United States.

Your attempts at insulting others speaks more of who you are than of anyone else.

Aiko 2 years, 11 months ago

There you go again Ol Bea!

afred 2 years, 11 months ago

"Brownback expresses confidence in private parts funding"

which explains this story I caught earlier today:

Kontum1972 2 years, 11 months ago

are the strip clubs in Topuka next?

sconad 2 years, 11 months ago

maybe if we all close our eyes & pray REALLY hard, god will fund Kansas arts programs

bcolley 2 years, 11 months ago

People don't understand how arts funding works. Arts organizations match private funding to state funding. Now they have to go after the same private donors that Brownback wants the arts council to go after, and the arts organizations - if they do get private donors - have no public funding to match it with.

So now the only communities that will have any kind of arts programs will be those that can kiss up to rich people or corporations (i.e. places they can get goodwill press coverage for making a donation so they don't look like evil tyrants).

And god forbid anything controversial ever happens in the arts. It will be defunded in an instant, and Kansans can sleep peacefully knowing their small view of the world will never be challenged or expanded with "liberal" ideas. Because all art is liberal, right?