Archive for Thursday, April 14, 2011

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback promotes three E’s of energy policy at KU Energy Conference

Governor Sam Brownback greets attendees at the KU Energy Conference Thursday, April 14, 2011. From left are Susan Duffy, Kanas Corporation Commission, Brownback, State Rep. Tom Sloan and Jeremy Viscomi, with the KU Tertiary Oil Recovery Project. Brownback spoke at the conference about the state's energy policy.

April 14, 2011

Governor Sam Brownback discusses Kansas energy policy

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback discusses the state's energy policy at the KU Energy Conference Thursday, April 14, 2011.

Gov. Sam Brownback is introduced before the start of the KU Energy Conference at the Oread Hotel Thursday, April 14, 2011. The conference was sponsored by the KU Energy Club.

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback compared the state's energy policy to riding an elephant.

"We need as clean as environment as possible that costs as low as it can with as abundant amount of energy as possible," Brownback said. "It's kind of like riding an elephant. It goes back and forth on you all the time."

On Thursday morning, Brownback addressed a crowd of Kansas University students, energy researchers and industry experts at The Oread Hotel as part of the KU Energy Conference.

Brownback stressed the need to balance the three E's of energy, environment and economy.

He urged the state to find ways to harvest and store wind, explore how to capture methane for energy and explore growing crops that can be transformed into biofuels.

These renewable solutions, Brownback said, must come from a market-driven process, not one created through tax and regulations.

"The best way to move the public and nation forward is to create a market for it," Brownback said.

Kansas has potential to become a giant in producing wind energy, but Brownback said the industry needs to find ways to better harvest wind, store it and get it to market.

"I am just struck with how we have this great wind, but how do we get it to market," Brownback said.

He also liked to see wind farms that can be used to make the fertilizer anhydrous ammonia.

Brownback urged KU students to pursue careers in the energy industry and to look at their own consumption of energy, something he did one year for Lent. Brownback recommended J. Matthew Sleeth's book "Serve God, Save the Planet: A Christian Call to Action."

"You got to do it in a fashion people will accept," Brownback said on crafting energy conservation policies. "People want to be green. They want to conserve energy."

Comments

iammoe 2 years, 5 months ago

KCC passed the Net Metering rules back in july of 2010 I think. So I installed a primemover of 20Kw. It not only heats the house, but used 2/3rds less Nlg. And I have to much electricity so the meter turns backwards. When I get to much elect. saved up I switch over to the duct resistive heating elements and use it back at retail rates. I sure wish that Ks., would pass Retail Wheeling so I could sell my excess to California at 17cts to 21cts per Kwh! The little engine is a 4cyl. converted deisel to Natural Gas and is very very sturdy. It has a autosychronizer to synch. with the grid. The generator head is a marine spec. winding, kinda went overboard on that!!! I used a Cain Ind. heat recovery muffler and it works good!

I can't help but think if everyone converted to this new type of system the energy crunch would be over! As far as heating your home I mean.

Westar wants to take the excess Kwh's at true up "December" but I use it all back and leave them with nothing...Then after December I Switch it back to automatic and it turns the meter backwards again and stores enough Kwh's to run my Summer Ac unit all season free. Oh...It heats all the hot water also as I installed a hydronic water heater. You can download an application off of the Westar website. Kinda tricky to fill out! Might want to get a pro's help. You'll have to build it yourself but it's not that hard. As far as I know there is no unit available on the market you can purchase off the shelf. If you need more info. check out,

Epa's website and search for "Combined Heat and Power" Doe's website, search "Combined Heat and Power"

Good luck! And you can do it!!!

pigballin 3 years ago

Cancel out OPEC and higher gasoline ..Drill in the states that have oil. Alaska and multiple western states and the EPA and it's cousins can ride their trikes.

mbulicz 3 years ago

I don't know which makes him look like the bigger tool, the article or the picture with the thumbs up. He looks like the official spokesperson for date rape.

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years ago

I've had the three E-s for the last 8 years!

www.e3designco.com

yourworstnightmare 3 years ago

energy = oil

environment = irrelevant

economy = short term

lmb 3 years ago

I can't figure out who's grammar is worse: Brownback's or the LJW's?

Example 1: "We need as clean as environment as possible that costs as low as it can with as abundant amount of energy as possible" I assume the 2nd 'as' is a typo and should be 'an'. But 'costs as low'? Come on!

Example 2: "He also liked to see wind farms.." I 'liked to' see things in the past, however, I 'would like' to see things in the future.

kelku688 3 years ago

I agree. Seems to me he only made this speech to make the people of Lawrence, KS happy. Fortunately it seems that many people here realize this. If we really want to start using more clean energy this is going to have to go above the state level because Brownback will never be the one to enforce it.

bobberboy 3 years ago

Jack be quick jack jump over the candlestick - see my thumb - then gee your dumb.

Kyle Chandler 3 years ago

I heard some hot air was released at the Oread Hotel recently!

notanota 3 years ago

It seems like Brownback pulled out some green colored pom-poms and said, "Rah, rah, go energy!" and then basically made it clear that the state wasn't actually doing anything to help this process along.

jafs 3 years ago

These 3 e goals are not mutually achievable, much as his promises to protect education and social service funding, lower taxes, and balance the budget were.

Cost, amount of energy produced, and environmental harm all work in different directions - for example, it costs more money to scrub coal emissions so as to make them less destructive of the environment.

It's nice that he "looked at" his energy consumption one year at Lent - it would be better if he (and all of us) reduced energy consumption every year all of the time.

Simple changes can lower one's "need" for energy, thus perhaps allowing us to find ways to protect the environment that don't cost us too much, and reducing the need for new supplies of energy (ie. new coal plants).

Richard Heckler 3 years ago

Brownback is all smoke and no fire. A very slick talker. After 20 years in the beltway and we still do not have the alternative energy sources on line.

No tax dollars says Brownback.... what nonsense.

What are those dollars going to the oil,nuke,GE and coal power industries? Mr Brownback those are tax dollars aka corporate subsidies.

Brownback has no intentions of pushing new sources of energy. This speech was for Lawrence,Kansas. Don't expect anything.

He has Planned Parenthood on the brain. And tax cuts that do nothing except drain our cookie jars. And creating his version of Fundamentalist Christian government.

ENGWOOD 3 years ago

So Les looks like if you have had this patent for this fantastic product since 1993, then you need to hire a better Marketing group! What did old Aunt Kathy do, Run you out of her office.?

Les Blevins 3 years ago

I laid my patent (# 5261335) on the table in front of Mr. Jeremy Viscomi and Dr. Lawrance Weatherly in Weatherly's office in Learned Hall a few years ago and they both said they saw where I was coming from and were impressed and supportive. I'm surprised Viscomi and Weatherly have both done a turn around and joined the coal plant supporters (Brownback and Sloan) who play to the press and seem to be concerned about our dire 3E situation but are not currently acting in the best interests of Kansas residents. When I explained the mechanical features of the bulky biomass fuel handling system and why it was so different from other systems they indicated they got it and that they wanted to come to my place and see it for themselves, but guess what, someone from the fossil fuel minded KU Geological department must have convinced them that KU alumni from Big Coal and Phillips Oil and Chevron and Exxon wouldn't like it if KU played a role in repowering the United States with alternatives to coal and oil. If anyone would like to see a this patent and have an explanation I'll email it to them if they will send an email to LBlevins@aaecorp.com and request it. I'll also send other information if requested.

huskerpower 3 years ago

By the way, a patent search with your name reveals nothing... surprise surprise...

huskerpower 3 years ago

Why are you blaming the republicans? If this miraculous idea is so damn amazing, why don't you push it to a democrat? Would that make it get it moving forward?

I realize you are trying to give part of the success back to the state and kudos for that, but if your idea is that great, get it out there, make a profit, and donate some proceeds back to the state (local schools would be a good start).

It sounds like YOU are the only one that thinks this is amazing idea and your political soapbox seems like the perfect place to lay the excuses. I don't see how you are doing anything to help energy issues by complaining about it instead of getting your idea out there. Don't attack other people simply because they aren't impressed by your idea.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

dude, why don't you just buy an ad & let us all in on your world-changing idea? Or write it on a sandwich board and stake out a corner on Mass & shout at passers-by? BTW, I'm told keeping the tin foil hat on for too long will make your scalp all itchy and stuff. Nobody wants to see that.

Les Blevins 3 years ago

And by the way; Christine Metz works for the Republican owners of the Journal World and it seems she cannot write about my clean energy advancement project for fear the people of Lawrence and Douglas County might want to know more about it. Chad Lawhorn and all the other reporters at the Journal World are apparently told not to give any coverage to the 3E technology I've developed. And several Lawrence mayors and the City manager will not be asking for any further info either because they are all Republicans who don't want to see any impact the status quo. Old Niccolo said it best;

“There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things for the reformer has enemies in all who profit from the old order.”

--Niccolo Machiavelli, 1513

bobberboy 3 years ago

stick a tube up it and bottle it, gov.

Les Blevins 3 years ago

Republicans Brownback and Sloan are being totally disingenuous with the public they are supposed to be serving. I say that because they talk as if they have the goals they speak of in this article but won't budge an inch to get us there. I once had a meeting at KU with Jeremy Viscomi and a top level representative of KUs Mechanical Engineering department, in which I showed them the drawings and patent on the alternative energy technology I've developed to address those same 3E issues and both Viscomi and the KU engineering guy both said they liked what I showed them and said they wanted to come out to my place and see it for themselves,, but after I left Learned Hall they must have had some more discussion and figured out the technology I showed them would indeed be the kind of technology that would put Kansas in the race for clean energy as they then did a complete turnaround, and refused to even take an in person closer look at what I've developed. And Republican Tom Sloan is the same way. He talks about energy issues but won't do anything to advance Kansas in the clean energy race. And when Republican Sam Brownback was installed as governor I had my attorney write him a letter stating what my novel new energy technology could do to bring about the solutions Kansas needs and the solutions he indicated he wanted to work for but he won't even answer my letter. I'll gladly send a copy of this letter to anyone who asks to see it and I'll explain what my 3E technology is about if they write to me at LBlevins@sunflower.com with "BROWNBACK LETTER" in the subject line.