A new Lawrence City Commission will be seated at Tuesday evening’s meeting.
Newly elected commissioners Hugh Carter and Bob Schumm will join the commission. Incumbent Mike Dever will begin his second term on the commission. Rob Chestnut and Lance Johnson, who didn’t seek re-election, will leave the commission. Mayor Mike Amyx will deliver a State of the City address as he ends his one-year term as mayor. Amyx will remain on the commission as a commissioner. The five-member commission will select one of its members to serve a one-year term as mayor. If tradition holds, current Vice Mayor Aron Cromwell will be elected to the mayoral position.
State of the City Address
• Mayor Amyx will deliver the State of the City Address.
• Proclaim April 10-16 as A Celebration of Volunteering Week.
• Proclaim April 10-16 as The Week of the Young Child.
• Proclaim April 16-23 as Elizabeth Watkins Week.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from March 29 and April 5.
• Approve claims.
• Approve appointments recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Set bid date of May 3 for comprehensive rehabilitation projects at: 2336 La.; 1415 W. Second Terrace; and 1406 N.J.
b. Award bid for one grapple load refuse truck for the Public Works Department to American Equipment Company for $93,556.
c. Award bid for roof replacement at the traffic building, 445 Miss., to Bob Frazier Roofing for $35,816.
• Adopt on second and final reading an ordinance establishing a Neighborhood Revitalization Area at 1040 Vt.
• Adopt a resolution establishing a city policy for Neighborhood Revitalization Areas.
• Approve request for site plan extension to May 31 for a proposed office building at 501 Rockledge Drive.
• Approve a request to rezone about 3.9 acres in the 800 block of Lynn Street from the IG (General Industrial) and IL (Limited Industrial) districts to the RMO (Multi-Dwelling Residential-Office) District to implement recommendations in the adopted Burroughs Creek Corridor Plan. This request was initiated by the planning commission.
• Authorize the mayor to sign a license agreement with Kansas University for installation of parking control equipment in the Oread Avenue right-of-way adjacent to the parking garage.
• Authorize the city manager to provide written notice to Rural Water District No. 6 of the city’s intent to annex about 69 acres owned by members of the Rothwell family that are south of the Farmers’ Turnpike and west of East 950 Road.
• Receive comments from Mayor Mike Amyx and City Commission.
• The city clerk will conduct swearing in of elected city commissioners. The new commission will be seated.
• Conduct election of mayor and of vice mayor.
• Comments of mayor and commissioners.
Recess for approximately 20 minutes.
• Orientation session with city commission for approximately one hour.