Archive for Monday, September 27, 2010

Carbon monoxide likely cause of two deaths in Manhattan

September 27, 2010

Advertisement

— Two Manhattan residents have died from what appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning in their home.

The Riley County Police Department says officers responded at 11:50 p.m. Sunday to a report of nonresponsive residents at a home. Emergency crews found three people who apparently were overcome by carbon monoxide.

The victims were identified as 25-year-old Jamie Lee Elliott, who died at a Manhattan hospital, and 22-year-old Lashawn Michael Veal, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

A third person, 22-year-old Maria Hightower, was taken to a Manhattan hospital before being transferred to Stormont Vail Hospital in Topeka. Her condition was not immediately available.

Comments

cavtrooper 4 years, 6 months ago

Ten to one gets you a defective gas heater... A carbon monoxide detector and a check up on the heater could have saved some lives.

Amy Bartle 4 years, 6 months ago

A KC news source said that a car was left running in the garage by mistake.

amesn 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow how terrible..hope the third young person pulls through. Could have been easily prevented with a fairly inexpensive CO detector :(

Commenting has been disabled for this item.