Archive for Saturday, May 22, 2010

Leavenworth officer shoots, kills armed man

May 22, 2010

A Leavenworth police officer shot and killed an armed man outside a grocery store Saturday afternoon after the man fired at him, police said.

Reginald Jones, 42, of Leavenworth also had pointed his handgun at two people at the Country Mart grocery store at 20th and Spruce streets, Police Chief Patrick Kitchens told the Kansas City Star.

The officer, a 26-year Leavenworth police veteran, will be reassigned to other duties while the shooting is investigated by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, Kitchens said.

Witnesses said they saw Jones walking across a parking lot about 2:15 p.m., waving a small handgun.

The officer arrived and confronted Jones, who fired multiple shots at the officer, missing him, Kitchens said.

The officer then fired two .40-caliber rounds from his sidearm, witnesses said. One shot blew out a tire of a parked trailer and the second struck Jones.

The last time a Leavenworth police officer was involved in a shooting was 1995, Kitchens said.

Comments

MacHeath 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree with Paul 100%. it is one thing making stupid comments about politics, but when it concerned the death of anyone, they should edit the heck out of the comments, if not shut them down completely. Some of the folks that post on here have issues that should be discussed with their therapists, not aired in a public forum. Most forums I have been active in, delete, or move your post if you are off-subject or violate the rules.

Paul R Getto 3 years, 11 months ago

Whew! Some of these comments point out why newspapers should lock up artlcles when a tragic death occurs. It just brings out the vultures to pick at the rotting flesh. Once upon a time, newspapers had standards; now they just 'count the clicks' and take it to the bank. So sorry the officer had to do this; I am sure he takes no satisfaction in it, but did his duty. Condolences to the family of the deceased. All people have value; some just make really stupid decisions.

independant1 3 years, 11 months ago

racist? i must reread this thread. didn't notice any comments about race first time through.

nope didn't see any the second time.

Death knows no denomination. Death draws no color line. (Will Rogers)

Ihateracism 3 years, 11 months ago

you all seem very racist to me, come on if it was your family member would you be saying this dumb stuff? someone's mother is at home hurting and this is all you dumb freaks can say? ppl like you piss me the hell off, you never know someone's life struggle and for you to judge him like that is not right. first of all the only person he has to answer is god, and last only god has the right to judge him. regardless of what happened, deep inside this was a good person who had lost everything he had and really wanted, so for you all to be sooo racist(because that's really what it boils down to) its shameful on you and just remember you will have your judgement day also, but it's not for us to say,"score", or other bullstuff ass remarks...think about what you say, before you say it and god will remember each and everyone of you for your pitty remarks

budtugly 3 years, 11 months ago

Look at the crime that we have with the police a phone call away. Can you imagine how it would be without them. Ive got the license to pack but I am glad that I do not feel the need to pack very often. Hats off to the Cops. I have ran into a few bad ones over time myself but the majority of them are being as fair and objective as the job allows them to be.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 11 months ago

LG40 is not receiving the mental health treatment he needs. That part is plain.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 11 months ago

For all those who say "way to go" or otherwise congratulate the Officer who was forced to take a human life, please remember that this officer will have to live with his/her decision for the rest of his/her life. It's not easy to take a life and it's not easy to have to live with it. You tend to second guess yourself for a long time, even if you know very well you did the only thing you could do. It doesn't make it any easier.

somebodynew 3 years, 11 months ago

Smitty- I am truly sorry I offended you with my comment (and I am sincere). It was a (perhaps poor) stab at a joke, that is all. I am sure you don't know me, but I do know you and we have spoken in the past. I really did not mean to offend you and didn't think it would be taken that way. Just trying to put some levity into a sad, sad story.

puddleglum 3 years, 11 months ago

Way to go officer! It is too bad that he had to wait to fired at before he took out this scum.

I say promotions are in order, as well as hanging the dead robber up high-by his feet-so everyone can enjoy the view.

An excellent day for justice.

cntrygrl 3 years, 11 months ago

Please stop giving LG more reasons to post. He is a complete moron and we're just helping him along. Just ignore his idiotic posts. Eventually he will only have himself to whine to. I, personally, cant wait.

TrooGrit 3 years, 11 months ago

Tell you what, lawrenceguy40, next time your a is in trouble, please call on your local pothead, drug dealer, copy-hatin' lunatic to bail your dumb a out. I'll read about you in the next days JW. Lunatic.

banksie 3 years, 11 months ago

LG40, the police officer did not commit murder. Murder is unlawful killing. The police officer had justification.

Beth Ennis 3 years, 11 months ago

LG40--saying it was "murder" by police is so wrong, I won't even begin to go in to it. It was self defense. I use to work for LV PD. I can tell you that Chief Kitchens (who is a wonderful person, BTW) was totally involved and knew what was going on. He also was probably waiting to make a comment until more information and preliminary investigation was being done. I'm guessing you've never worked for a bureaucracy before, or you would know this, but they never "jump" into making statements just because the press want them. You ASSUME indifference by this Police Chief, and I can guarantee you, that is not the case. I don't know which officer it was, but if he/she is a 26 year veteran, I also know him/her. I have worked for another police department where several officers were forced to shoot a man who was intent on taking them out. It is something that an officer will live with for the rest of his/her life and will always feel the weight of it. For you to make these assumptions just because something was printed that you didn't like, all I can say is that I hope other people don't go around judging you and treating you based on assumptions. Having worked in 2 police departments (not as an officer) and seeing the kind of crap they have to respond to and the grace and patience with which they deal with people in all walks of life and all stages of health/wealth/indifference, etc, I can tell you that our police officers do not get paid nearly enough and I am thankful that we even have men and women who are willing to do this awful, thankless job. I have seen a male officer break down and cry after having to respond to a SIDS death. I have listened to them vent after responding with a social worker to a house where children were crawling around on the floor amongst human feces, urine and animal feces and urine. You just have no clue what all peace officers have to deal with. Please open your eyes and look beyond your selfish feelings. Yes there are a few bad apples out there, but they are not the majority. Do you want to be treated badly or spoken of badly for the actions of others just because people associate you with them? Get real and grow up!

Mister 3 years, 11 months ago

How a 26 year old gonna be a police veteran?

lawrenceguy40 3 years, 11 months ago

I was not complaining that the police shot a guy. This appears to be one of the few cases where murder by a law enforcement officer was justified. But the attitude of the PD in the earlier story (before the LJW updated it) was completely indifferent. There was a report that police had shot a guy dead, but all the PD could say was that the police chief had gone home and no-one else was available to give details or comment. They should have made sure that someone was available to give details. But I forget, they are above the law, and are supported by a sycophantic cop loving citizenry who are so scared of upsetting the folks "in control", that they need do nothing.

somebodynew 3 years, 11 months ago

I personally think that L_G40 and Smitty should "hook up". Maybe then they could just rant between themselves and spare the rest of us.

skinny 3 years, 11 months ago

Everyone knows Lawrenceguy40 hates the police and has a comment every time an article is printed in the paper about them. What’s the matter Lawrenceguy40, did you get a speeding ticket??

I am glad no innocent bystanders or the Officer were injured! As for the Leavenworth Officer, good job!

yankeevet 3 years, 11 months ago

That officer should get a medal; good job!!! No doubt how many lives he saved by taking this fool out.

Eride 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey, Lawrence Guy thinks police officers should let people fire shots at them and kill them. Let's let him spout that opinion publicly. Hopefully his life never depends on one of the people he thinks so low of that he would wish death upon them.

smalltowngirl26 3 years, 11 months ago

Anyone know anything about big wreck at 32 Hwy and Lv Co Rd 1 Saturday afternoon? I heard 2 were dead.

doc1 3 years, 11 months ago

Lawrence Guy is an idiot.

According to a statement by Leavenworth Police Chief Patrick Kitchens, police responded to a disturbance at 2:30 p.m., where the suspect fired several shots at police, hitting a police car. An officer then returned fire and killed the shooter, identified as 42-year-old Reginald Jones of Leavenworth.

If you can't figure out what happened by that statement without an official news release I don't know what to say. You obviously have a dark agenda against any law enforcement. Too bad for you.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 11 months ago

I'll be the first one to badmouth the cops around here ! ! ! It is my job, and I'm not letting any body else do it better than me ! ! ! If what was reported is indeed factual, the the gosh durned trigger happy po-po didn't have any other recourse now did he ? ? ? However... I could be wrong, maybe he could have just WOUNDED the shooter... isn't that part of the reason for target practice ? That would have been a much better way to solve the problem. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it may have been the officers first time in a firefight, and he just lost his cool... or maybe he used to work for the KCK police dept., and was used to their shoot first-think later policy !

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

lawrence guy is a jerk. LJW is stupid for publishing that incendiary remark. Leavenworth police owe you no news release. Didn't even owe you the answer that the chief was had gone home. Sheesh.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 11 months ago

gee LG40...will you give it a rest?!?!?!?! We all know you hate all cops! not sure why, but you apparently do.

greenworld 3 years, 11 months ago

God I thought all the criminals were already locked up in Leavenworth.

lawrenceguy40 3 years, 11 months ago

"The police chief had gone home for the day and no one else was available to answer questions or confirm details, according to police staff."

Sums up the indifference to human life found in many law enforcement organizations. A sad day.