Archive for Thursday, March 4, 2010

To chagrin of Wildcats, Jayhawk fans turn Manhattan ‘KS’ rocks into ‘KU

Vandals worked over a hillside sign near Manhattan to make a KU reference. Area police are investigating the incident.

March 4, 2010

Vandals turn 'KS' sign in Manhattan into 'KU'

Vandals used trash bags to turn a KS sign in Manhattan into a KU sign after the Jayhawks' victory in the Sunflower Showdown. Enlarge video

As you drive on Kansas Highway 177 toward I-70 near Manhattan, you see a rock sign on the hill that reads "KS."

At least, it used to. As of Thursday morning, that "KS" had been converted into a "KU" — just hours after the Kansas Jayhawks knocked off the K-State Wildcats in Allen Fieldhouse.

Those responsible used black and white trash bags to convert the S into a U.

Riley County Police are investigating the incident as an act of vandalism.

Comments

hujiko 5 years, 2 months ago

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

delta77 5 years, 2 months ago

Time to cut the Riley County Police budget.

BruceWayne 5 years, 2 months ago

"knocked off" isn't that what they say when the underdog beats a far superior opponent? knocked off? it was total domination from the tip. Frank Martin has lost any and all control of himself and his team. FIRE Frank Martin NOW!

rse1979 5 years, 2 months ago

Act of littering......maybe. Act of trespassing......likely. Act of vandalism.......give me a break.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

oh well.... riley county is used to trash.

Graczyk 5 years, 2 months ago

Vandalism. Right. What a joke. That's just good clean fun there. At least they didn't paint the rocks or apparently even move them. Get a life.

ksjayhawk74 5 years, 2 months ago

K-State fans weren't angry about the incident until after someone told them what "KU" spells.

jehovah_bob 5 years, 2 months ago

Looks like K8 to me. Maybe some ridiculous wildcats thought they could change it to K ST8, but they didn't know how to spell ST.

Jennifer Alexander 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree with "deathpenaltyliberal"

At least we don't resort to destroying billboards with spray paint, etc. That to me is true vandalism.

Will Babbit 5 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, Frank's lost control of his team...who are ranked higher than they have been in almost 50 years. That makes perfect sense. I'm certainly no K-State fan but you need your head examined...

Stuart Evans 5 years, 2 months ago

I love that sign. years ago I would take my girlfriend up there and....nevermind, material for a different forum.

Kristen Murphy 5 years, 2 months ago

Eh really? This is nothing new. A long time ago Nebraska used to come down and paint the "N"'s in the big "MANHATTAN" sign red. Seriously? Big freakin' deal. Like someone said before - it's no different than the KU sign getting painted over all.the.time. That never gets old either. This isn't the first time a KU fan has done this - I guess during football season this year right before the KU/KSU game - someone painted red and blue all over the stadium and the football complex - that's just as bad as the sign on 70 getting vandalized. Obviously they didn't catch the people involved and they probably won't catch them now. It happens.

ron_mexico 5 years, 2 months ago

EMAW is sexist. Welcome to 2010 K-State fans, women vote now and are viewed as equals.

brother_cumulus 5 years, 2 months ago

To be fair...all their women look like men.

Bruce Bertsch 5 years, 2 months ago

Used to happen all the time in the 60's and 70's.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 2 months ago

To charge this as a crime is ridiculous! Let the Losers with a capital "L" go pick up all the trash bags and take them to a recycling center. K-State still had it coming from the time in the early '80's, when they came to Lawrence and put purple dye in the Chi Omega fountain!

newmedia 5 years, 2 months ago

Obviously done by a Missouri fan as a diversion.

Jeff Plinsky 5 years, 2 months ago

Assuming nothing was broken, stolen, or permanently damaged, I have to say . . . .

KU fans for the win!!!

And newmedia, you assume that Missou fans can think two steps ahead. That may, or may not, be an accurate assumption.

captjacksmom 5 years, 2 months ago

You can't spell the word suck without the letters KSU!!!

BorderRat 5 years, 2 months ago

To call it an act of vandalism is retarded.

bad_dog 5 years, 2 months ago

Careful BorderRat-you're using the "r" word...

Shardwurm 5 years, 2 months ago

That KS has a pretty interesting history. There was a fad back in the 20s to do this kind of thing and that 'KS' is one of the few in the midwest. Google it.

BorderRat 5 years, 2 months ago

bad-dog, I couldn't help it. It seemed appropriate.

kujayhawk7476 5 years, 2 months ago

I wish the authorities would have been as diligent investigating of the sexual battery of my daughter at the hands of a KSU fan during the KU-KSU football game in the fall of 2008.

InspectorJo 5 years, 2 months ago

"Riley County Police are investigating the incident as an act of vandalism."

They must have nothing better to do, for goodness sake, they are trash bags neatly placed I might add. All in good fun and no harm done. Go fight some real crime.

William McCauley 5 years, 2 months ago

InspectorJo (anonymous) says… Go fight some real crime.

Has to be one of the biggest in the county this decade, I bet they got out all the cop stuff in the cop storage locker to use and had half the city force and most the county force out there and sealed the scene in crime tape, dustin for prints and takin shoe imprint castings and hound dogs too, bet they called in choppers from the Big Red 1 for aerial images with the circles and arrows and those paragraphs on the backside of each one, got the KBI over to use their cop stuff too...... next thing you know they be reqesting funding from the state for more cops stuff and night vision cameras to place in the trees to put a stop to such an crime of the century in the future.

hammerhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Gotta love it. Vandalism??!! Get a life. Great job, I say. It sure beats throwing live chickens on the court.

hammerhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

hammerhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

hammerhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

hammerhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

hammerhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

hammerhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

trinity 5 years, 2 months ago

what on earth IS that "emaw" thing, anyways???? i keep seeing it and have no clue what it is supposed to mean! oh and as for this brilliant work being a crime? shyeah, right, whatev.

bad_dog 5 years, 2 months ago

Seems like there's an echo in here, here, here...

j/k w/my comment above, BorderRat.

gwjayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

While I love this, it does look more like an 8...Maybe some guy was simply trying to profess his love for his girlfriend "Kate".

bblbfolks 5 years, 2 months ago

For crying out loud people...IT'S A COLLEGE PRANK! Get over it already. I lived near Manhattan for years, and despise KU. But even I think that was pretty funny. If the real police didn't want to take care of it, I'm sure some of the school's rent-A-cops could have segued on up the hill to pick up the trash bags. Hey, at least the vandals were nice enough to leave you with the materials to clean up the prank.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 2 months ago

Just like to say that the women at K-state are very attractive. And as the weather outside is warming the girls start shedding clothing... (to the tune of let it snow)
Or is that just shedding?

William McCauley 5 years, 2 months ago

trinity (anonymous) says… what on earth IS that "emaw" thing, anyways???? i keep seeing it and have no clue what it is supposed to mean!

"Every Man a Wildcat"

Try Google sometime it's a neat little trick.

ENGWOOD 5 years, 2 months ago

K icked their U gly butts HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 2 months ago

Hmmm "White Trash" bags in Riley County? Nooooooooooo!!!!

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 2 months ago

"Every Man a Wildcat"

I prefer the previous poster's interpretation: Every Mildcat a Wanker

Robert Holmes 5 years, 2 months ago

Probably some over zealous Manhattan High students who are Jayhawk basketball fans. There was plastic put over it is all. Prank not vandalism!

somebodynew 5 years, 2 months ago

@bad_dog - LOL!!!! Best one I have heard.

My interpretation is Every Man A Wussie.