Archive for Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kansas teacher charged with having sex with student

June 30, 2010

— A former northeast Kansas teacher and coach has been charged with having sex with a 17-year-old student.

The Kansas City Star reported that the woman was arrested Tuesday morning. She resigned in April from her job as an English teacher and volleyball coach at a high school in Easton, Kan.

Leavenworth County prosecutors allege she had consensual sexual intercourse with one of her students between August 2009 and June 2010.

The teacher started working for the Easton school district in August 2009.

It is the policy of the Lawrence Journal-World not to identify suspects in sex crimes unless and until there is a conviction.

Comments

ahayden3 4 years, 5 months ago

Not very hard to do 30 seconds of research with the info this snippet provides to figure out who the teacher is. Also, the Star has already outed her. Pretty ineffective way of protecting her identity.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 5 months ago

thank you ljw for letting us know who she is awesome.but what is the deal with all the teachers can't they find someone closer to their age ?

whatadrag 4 years, 5 months ago

Kontum1972 4 years, 5 months ago

ditto....

OBTW....no one ever gives me Gum!

jaywalker 4 years, 5 months ago

I had a teacher come on to me in high school. Freaked me out.

Liberty275 4 years, 5 months ago

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 5 months ago

whatadrag 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm curious as to why my comment was removed, it was a non-vulgar quote from a popular television program

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 5 months ago

Mine was a lyric from a popular rock song by Van Halen...

whatadrag 4 years, 5 months ago

*** for teacher, you know you can't say that first word with teacher in the phrase

wmathews 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey guys -- I sent you both messages as to why your comments were removed.

Jimbecile 4 years, 5 months ago

Jimbecile 4 years, 5 months ago

morganlefay 4 years, 5 months ago

If you see the pics of this woman in her bikini that they've been flashing all over the local tv news, it's pretty obvious to say that the student probably did NOT feel like a victim. I'm sure he was bragging to his friends about getting the teacher's tail and his friends probably thought it was pretty cool. Parents of high school kids need to WAKE UP! Guys that age think about sex all the time, it's nothing new.

jaywalker 4 years, 5 months ago

Holy smokes! What kind of comments are ya'll submitting here? Never seen so many deletions in such a short string.

whatadrag 4 years, 5 months ago

Anything that portrays the "victim" as something more fortunate than a victim is defamatory.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 5 months ago

Victim? It was consentual and the kid was 17, right?

wmathews 4 years, 5 months ago

Tom, I posted a reply to your comment, too.

wmathews 4 years, 5 months ago

The comments that I removed were in violation of the Terms of Service. For some reason they all ended up on this story this morning.

nobody1793 4 years, 5 months ago

There's a new sheriff in town. I like it.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey you two should look in the mirror...there's something on your noses...

martyks 4 years, 5 months ago

It's a bit of a gray line here though. One year from when they did something together, he is no longer a victim... I know you have to draw the line somewhere and the double standard would be smacking us in the face when a 23 year old male teacher was caught with the 15 year old girl. So, there's no getting around the fact that rules are rules. It's basically criminally stupid, or perhaps criminally needy to be sexually involved with someone under 18, especially if you're a teacher. The punishment for this will be whopping and will follow her around her whole life, branding her as a child abuser, deviant, criminal, etc. But how do you take that risk, knowing the potentially explosive consequences? Sad for everyone.

jaywalker 4 years, 5 months ago

What's most shocking to me is the number of female teachers that are guilty of this these days. Like I said, I had such an encounter, and at the same school we had a male teacher get busted for the behavior. But it seems lately the women are catching up to the men somewhat. Maybe it's always been this way but it seems odd.

thebigspoon 4 years, 5 months ago

And your source for this rather shocking allegation is.........................?

weegee 4 years, 5 months ago

Define "epidemic level." You are making some pretty big accusations here.

emaw 4 years, 5 months ago

What is the age of consent in Kansas? I thought it was 16?

wmathews 4 years, 5 months ago

The age of consent is 16, yes, but there is a special law that applies to teachers and the unequal power relationship with students.

jaywalker 4 years, 5 months ago

Doggone right! We can't have people in such positions, positions of influence on the young and mentally undeveloped, operating in such ways. Age of consent? Come on, people.

verity 4 years, 5 months ago

How completely condescending. I hope she deletes you.

HW 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree with TOB. It is going to be a long hard job if Whitney doesn't have thick skin. Johnathan took a lot of crap, and I can only guess that Whitney is going to take just as much. No apology necessary TOB. I hope Whitney saw the jest in that comment that most of us saw.

verity 4 years, 5 months ago

This has nothing to do with thick skin.

Calling a professional woman doing her job "babe" is not acceptable and certainly not funny. It is demeaning and meant to put her in her place.

puddleglum 4 years, 5 months ago

I think using the word 'babe' is no different than using the word 'dude' neither are exactly formal, but neither are a put down.

In fact, I like it when people call me babe. of course, I am very pretty and I smell like spring rain. I can't help it if a few of you get jealous, I still love you all.

verity 4 years, 5 months ago

I love you too, puddleglum, and I would be honored if you called me babe. Those other guys, not so much.

whatadrag 4 years, 5 months ago

You don't strike me as the go-to-class kind of person

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

"The schools need the pope's advice on how to proceed with dignity."

Cover-ups?

I don't think that's the solution.

verity 4 years, 5 months ago

Gang, Whitney is the boss now.

Get used to it.

puddleglum 4 years, 5 months ago

I think JK is still the BOSS. Whitney is just doing her job

verity 4 years, 5 months ago

I stand corrected. However, it would seem a number of middle-aged white men (I'm going out on a limb here) want to intimidate her into letting them make fools of themselves.

But I'm sure she doesn't need me to protect her.

puddleglum 4 years, 5 months ago

what makes you think they are white?

I am beautiful, I am pretty.

Ray_Finkle 4 years, 5 months ago

I could be wrong (never have been, but its bound to happen someday), but I think he was referring to the teacher, not the forum administrator. You know, 'jumping' the help, participating in the 'office olympics,' pulling a Clinton, asking the masseuse for a happy ending, etc.

jaywalker 4 years, 5 months ago

Whoooeee! You sure read that wrong, Py! Noble to stick up for Whitney, just make sure you've got the villain correct next time.

trinity 4 years, 5 months ago

the pitch has a decent article on this deal. just an fyi.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 5 months ago

Clark Coan 4 years, 5 months ago

That's why the student got a "A" and the other boys didn't. No fairness there. When I was at LHS, there was a woman teacher who allegedly had sex with male students. It wasn't illegal then unless they were under 16.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 5 months ago

Teachers should learn that teenagers will talk and rumors will fly until the teenagers are forced to admit to having sex.

Teenagers are afraid of cops. Too bad teenagers do not realize it's best not to talk about pleasant ventures. 18 years old makes it okay for all. Dad will then think of his son as a stud.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 5 months ago

Py, got news for you: the way to spell thug=SEIU RE St. Louis. or, Moveon.org.

stop feeding on Koolaid.

yes, the law her is likely more about teacher-stdent, so I'm puzzled even why article says "consentual" as that's irrelevant.

oh now Merrill AKA lawnmowerman is a child development expert RE "teen agers?" LMAO.
hey, just make 'em drive around Merrill's roundies ten times, or until they're dizzy, that'll larn 'em.

bad_dog 4 years, 5 months ago

BG, despite the illegality of the acts, it is rather important that it was "consentual" (sic) in nature. Otherwise it's probably called forcible rape, indecent liberties, etc.

whatadrag 4 years, 5 months ago

North American Man-Boy Love Association?

Kontum1972 4 years, 5 months ago

hmmmm...wasnt there a movie many, many.. years ago about this same kind of escapade...i having a "brain cloud" right now on the title.....hmmmm!