Archive for Thursday, January 28, 2010

Kansas GOP criticizes Parkinson over taxes

January 28, 2010, 10:02 a.m. Updated January 28, 2010, 5:36 p.m.

— Citing a new poll, the Kansas Republican Party on Thursday criticized Gov. Mark Parkinson, a Democrat, for proposing a tax increase.

The Survey USA poll taken Jan. 11 showed that 42 percent of Kansans approved of Parkinson’s job performance, 43 percent disapproved and 14 percent said they were not sure. The poll had a plus or minus margin of error of 4.1 percentage points.

State GOP Chair Amanda Adkins compared the results to the standing in Kansas of President Barack Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

"These numbers are startling,” Adkins said in a news release. “The message couldn't be clearer -- Kansans oppose the Obama-Pelosi-Parkinson agenda of higher taxes and bigger government.”

But another Survey USA poll, showed that 56 percent of Kansans support Parkinson’s proposal to increase the state sales tax by one percent for three years to help solve the current state budget crisis.

Parkinson and the Legislature cut the $6.4 billion state budget by nearly $1 billion last year, and still face a $400 million revenue shortfall.

Asked to respond to the GOP criticism, Parkinson’s spokeswoman Beth Martino said, “In the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, the governor has been forced to make some very difficult decisions. Some of those decisions may not have been good politics, but they were necessary. Gov. Parkinson's top priority is leading the state through this economic crisis and helping Kansans find jobs.”

Parkinson is a former Republican and once held Adkins’ position as party chair before he switched to the Democratic party in 2006 to run as lieutenant governor with former Gov. Kathleen Sebelius. Parkinson became governor last year when Sebelius was chosen by Obama to serve in his cabinet. Parkinson has said he would not run for the governorship this year.

Comments

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 11 months ago

More big top circus antics from the do-nothing Kansas legislature.

I conducted a poll. 100% of Kansans surveyed* think that the Kansas legislature is filled with numbskull do-nothings who are in way over their heads with the serious business of the state.

*The survey consisted of me.

63BC 4 years, 11 months ago

What does it say when tax increases are more popular than you are?

Jimo 4 years, 11 months ago

"These numbers are startling."

I'll say.

If you'd told me that during the worst economic decline in living memory that the sitting governor would polling even with his detractors, I would have said that you'd been smoking K2.

"What does it say when tax increases are more popular than you are?"

That your critics are partisan hacks.

KSManimal 4 years, 11 months ago

"What does it say when tax increases are more popular than you are?"

It say's people are angry that you haven't worked hard enough to get those tax increases passed. You're letting the knuckleheads run the state further into the dumper.

Charles L Bloss Jr 4 years, 11 months ago

tomatogrower 4 years, 11 months ago

I think the schools should immediately shut down all sports programs and put the money into academics. If they did that, I bet their parents would be falling all over themselves demanding a tax increase.

MyName 4 years, 11 months ago

Ugh this is dumb. The guy is forced to cut the budget by 16% because of falling revenues, and by showing some leadership and deciding where to make the cuts, he's taking the heat off the legislature. But instead of acting like responsible adults and following the Governor's lead by shoring up some of the revenue, they're talking about poll numbers!

New flash: the guy is not running for reelection. You all are. So fix the budget or you're going to be part of the (already too high) number of unemployed.

tomatogrower 4 years, 11 months ago

Lynn731 (Anonymous) says… My top priority is voting him out! Taxes are already way too high to begin with, especially for retired people on fixed income. They won't even get their yearly COLA from social security this year. No one surveyed me, I say vote the a*e out of office. What kind of an idiot would propose a tax increase in the middle of a depression? Thank you, Lynn

I guess you should have planned better for your retirement. That's what you good Republicans always tell people who are laid off from their jobs, too disabled to work, etc. The generation before you made sacrifices and paid for your education, but you are going to cop out and not pay for the next generation. Take, take, take, but don't contribute. That's the Republican party, the party of me, me, me. It's all about me.

Me2 4 years, 11 months ago

As far as my family & I are concerned, we will not be re-electing any incumbent to any position. Its time to give someone else a try. Even the "village idiot" is smarter than what we have allowed to be in Topeka. "We, the people" voted them in to present our views to the State of Kansas. Since they blatantly thumb thier noses at any thing "We, the people" are asking them to do. When the re-election most of them are trying to ensure rolls around that "We, the people" exerise the right the Founding Fathers gave us & vote out all the incumbents who are still fiercely fighting for poltics as usual.

ConcernedCynic 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm from Kansas and I will take take take, but I do not want to pay pay pay.

BigDog 4 years, 11 months ago

Lynn, first if you have been paying attention Parkinson isn't running for governor. Second, where do you think the money comes from for that COLA you are desiring?

BigDog 4 years, 11 months ago

Well it is easy to critique the Governor ..... Miss Republican Party ..... but where is your Republican plan for fixing the economic/budget situation?

And before anyone gets all lathered up ..... I am a Republican. Just one who is tired of the whole political party crap and critcism ..... and the lack of common sense concrete ideas/plans. And it goes for both Party's ..... the people are tired of the critcizing each other and their ideas without having any of your own.

Larry 4 years, 11 months ago

BigDog,

I agree. As a lifetime republican, I am ready to vote them all out. I see republicans digging their heals in so they can run around Topeka with their fists in the air..singing "no new taxes, no new taxes.....see, we save you all from paying new taxes"....all the while, the out of pocket expense for families with children in our local schools will triple or quadruple to make up for the decrease in state funding. We think book fees, school lunches, pay to play athletics, instrument fees, field trip fees, etc are expensive now, just wait until next year. It seems to have become a contest between the dems and rep. to see who can hold out the longest. I wouldn't have supported a permanent tax but Gov. Parkinson's plan included a three year sunset which I believe is appropriate. One way or another, we'll pay more to support education. I'm a Johnson Co resident who may be voting democrat in the next election and I can count on one hand how many times I've voted democrat in the past thirty or so years. Education is simply too important to not fund appropriately and some of these yahoo republican legislators over here in JOCO obviously don't value education.