Archive for Monday, January 25, 2010

Woman says K2 eases pain from chronic illness

January 25, 2010, 3:24 p.m. Updated January 25, 2010, 4:26 p.m.

— A House committee on Monday recommended approval of a bill to ban K2 despite a statement from an Overland Park woman who said that smoking the herbal mixture has made her chronic illness bearable.

Aubry Gabbard, 18, said because of her family health history, she likely suffers from multiple sclerosis. In a letter to the House Corrections and Juvenile Justice Committee, she said she has needed help with every basic aspect of her life.

Aubry Gabbard, 18, of Overland Park, on Monday attended a meeting of a House committee that was considering bill to ban K2. Gabbard said the herbal mixture has helped her manage pain from a chronic illness, but the committee recommended approval of the legislation.

But she said that in June a friend suggested she try K2, a substance that is sold at The Sacred Journey in Lawrence as incense. The substance contains chemicals that produce a marijuana-type high, according to law enforcement officials.

“K2 has been the only successful ally in my battles against spasticity, muscle spasms, and intense migraines without causing grogginess or further fatigue,” Gabbard said.

Even so, the committee on a unanimous vote pushed the bill to the full House for consideration. Last week, the Senate approved a similar bill 36-1.

Gabbard attended the House committee meeting and sought permission to speak. But the committee’s chair, state Rep. Pat Colloton, R-Leawood, said she wouldn’t allow that because the public hearing on the bill, where both sides were invited to testify, had been closed last week.

Colloton and other committee members acknowledged Gabbard’s letter. After the meeting, Gabbard said she was surprised that committee members didn’t want to ask her questions about her experiences with K2.

Gabbard said making K2 illegal will deprive her of a “useful pain management tool” while those who use it to get high will simply use something else to accomplish that.

Comments

Shane Garrett 5 years, 6 months ago

This "defense" ? has had very little success except in progressive states.

kclee 5 years, 6 months ago

buy it somewhere else. don't they sell it online?

ralphralph 5 years, 6 months ago

Frankly, if someone really has M.S. or a similarly debilitating condition, I would favor allowing them to use anything they want in order to cope with it. I suppose, though, that my point of view actually has evolved to the point that I really don't see the point in trying to stop people from using whatever they want in the first place.

Jack Hope III 5 years, 6 months ago

My recommendation to KS senate and house:

Keep it legal. Tax it. Study it. Try to do something to fix this messed up economy so our schools don't crumble instead of these cheap "tough on crime" charades.

5 years, 6 months ago

"said because of her family health history, she likely suffers from multiple sclerosis."

Likely?? MS is not that hard to diagnose.

I'm ok with it being legal, but only for those who truely have a problem. I know how hard it is to get a medical problem figured out, but you have to try! geesh.

eotw33 5 years, 6 months ago

ya good argument. "I may or may not have MS, and this incense kind of helps me with it"

1. She should of had a doctor with her if its true
  2. She can buy online/in MO
  3. Move to a state where medical marijuana is legal!

oh and who can forget 4. Comb your hair and move up those glasses if you want to be taken seriously, even a dumb pothead knows you don't show up for court looking like a pothead, let alone a state committee meeting. She probably recited Bob Dylan and was slouching too

greenworld 5 years, 6 months ago

"She said she doesn’t know what she will do if K2 is made illegal because it has been the only thing that has helped in recent years." I would think she would do like half of California and get a doctor to prescribe it to her.

greenworld 5 years, 6 months ago

I was once told by a woman a work that sex helps get rid of migranes. This doesnt mean she has to go out and have sex with somebody but maybe a trip to Priscilla's would solve alot.

sourpuss 5 years, 6 months ago

I guess everyone is assuming she can afford the doctors to get a firm diagnosis of her problem. Many don't have insurance, so people shouldn't assume that others can find out what is the matter with their health.

sinedie 5 years, 6 months ago

Really? "Defense?" I wasn't aware that, in a free country, a person has to justify to the government what they do with their own body in their own homes. It's not this woman's job to prove that this substance has a legitimate purpose - the burden is on the government to explain why it should be illegal. They can't.

bad_dog 5 years, 6 months ago

Contrary to your thoughts, MS can be difficult to diagnose, particularly with younger patients. Objective criterion includes the presence of oligonical bands, elevated CSF pressure levels, optic neuritis and white matter lesions along with the spasticity and muscle rigidity mentioned.

I'm sure the legislature is busy solving world hunger and ensuring intergalactic peace is maintained, but it seems like they could have given the woman 5-10 minutes to address them. That however, might indicate they had not already made up their minds.

phoggyjay 5 years, 6 months ago

why doesn't she just go with a safer alternative...cannabis

sinedie 5 years, 6 months ago

Did_I_say_that:

I got the impression that the poster following you used "Defense" as another word for "Excuse." My point was that the individual person shouldn't need a defense or excuse in this situation - the government, in this case, is acting illogically and inconsistently. It's they who need a defense for this ill-conceived ban.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

might have ms, maybe not.

sounds like it is the placebo effect that's helping this 18-year-old girl.

I do agree with those who say there is a need for research on this before it is banned, or perhaps at the same time it is banned.
I know the potheads dismiss all the thc research but some of it is good and the risks of thc are serious. plus you do increase lung cancer risk by smoking pot.

as to affording to see a doctor to get a diagnosis...she's paying for the k2.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

"I know the potheads dismiss all the thc research but some of it is good and the risks of thc are serious."

I think the "bgaw, it's teh Eevil!" hullubaloo helps to feed the equivalent oppositional response. Not to say that either represents an all-encompassing viewpoint, but it does seem that those are the ones that seem to be generally responded to.

Angie Dick 5 years, 6 months ago

Ok I look at them taking K2 off the market

1 maybe it hasn't be studied enough?

But in all honesty, I beleive it is another way to keep the health care system getting richer and people getting sicker? I don't use the stuff, But I guess if it helps people, why do away with it? Probably safer to do it verse buying it off the streets? maybe cheaper? I don't know. I just alway's think,if u had a family member that was realy ill, u'd do anything with in ur power to help them? (don't even say u'd give them dope) that is not what I am saying. Just that u'd look into other options, verses the normal health care system. Alot of people don't have health insurance, so they end up dying, when maybe they could of used something else affordable? Like I said maybe it does need to be studied more? it's a catch 20/20, I guess?