Archive for Thursday, January 14, 2010

Be wary of those asking you to help in Haiti

Resources available to verify charity’s authenticity

A group of women react Thursday as the daughter of the woman, at center, is still missing after the earthquake in Port-au-Prince.

January 14, 2010

Haiti earthquake 2010

A couple in Eudora began a charity for the country of Haiti months before the earthquake struck. The two are now working hard to supply money and goods to the area.

2010 Haiti Earthquake

A 7.0 magnitude earthquake occurred 10 miles southwest of Port-au-Prince on Jan. 12, causing widespread devastation in Haiti's capital and throughout the country.

Options for charitable donations to quake victims

• Some local businesses and charities are stepping up efforts to help people donate to the Haiti relief effort.

Reader poll
Have you already or will you donate to a Haitian earthquake relief effort?

or See the results without voting

State and federal law enforcement officials are warning consumers to be wary of scams targeting donors to Haiti earthquake relief efforts.

“Unfortunately, scam artists will use this tragedy as an opportunity to take advantage of the generosity of Kansans,” Kansas Attorney General Steve Six said in a statement. “Taking some extra time to verify the authenticity of the charitable organization will ensure that your contributions are aiding in disaster relief rather than lining a scammer’s pocket.”

Some recommendations:

• Don’t be afraid to ask questions or get more information, including asking how your donation will be used, what percentage will go to the charity and whether it’s tax deductible.

• Go to the charity’s Web site or request information in writing.

• Contact your local Better Business Bureau to see whether there are any complaints about the charity or search for the charity online.

• Check whether the charity is registered with the Kansas Secretary of State’s office.

Six’s office asks people who believe they have been solicited from a fraudulent charity to file a consumer complaint with them by visiting www.ksag.org or by calling 800-432-2310.

The FBI also reminds consumers to be skeptical of unsolicited e-mails, and not to click on links or attachments in those messages, including those purporting to be of pictures of the disaster.

E-mail scams or other incidents can be reported through the federal government’s Internet Crime Complaint Center at ic3.gov.

Comments

radicool12 5 years, 2 months ago

why do we have ignorant people that try to scam people using a disaster to do it to those people that do it you all are jerks and when you need help i hope noone helps you

Shardwurm 5 years, 2 months ago

I saw Mrs. Obama asking the American people to give. I would like her to hold up the canceled check from their contribution first. They're asking us to give so much already - like over a trillion dollars - that I feel like I'm a bit stretched.

Besides, I've already contributed to Haitian relief - I pay my taxes.

kugrad 5 years, 2 months ago

One reliable charitable organization that does great work on the ground and will not squander your money is www.heifer.org

They use a sort of "pay it forward" model of sustainable aid, rather than simple cash or food donations. I am not associated with this organization other than being a contributor, but I have researched them extensively.

Since posts here are so partisan, I will also mention that this is a non-partisan, non profit organization.

I received an email stating that they are organizing a special Haiti relief program, I imagine details are on their website.

Another excellent aid organization is ELCA world hunger.

EXks 5 years, 2 months ago

Regressive evolution, Inbred bigoted racist chicken hawks and Glen Beck tin foil hat syndrome.......

Darlene McBride (Take Back America) loves all of ya!!

bankboy119 5 years, 2 months ago

If you are looking to donate to a local organization to help in Haiti look at www.lightingthedark.org. My friend runs it and they are based in Eudora, KS.

They have been working with people across the United States for over a year. His name is Allen Barker and he will be on Channel 6 tonight discussing their current relief efforts.

barlowtl 5 years, 2 months ago

It would have been good if this article could have included a list of reliable agencies so readers would have more than a negative warning. I you don't balance advice like this you do a disservice. Just a couple of lines would suffice and your article would be complete and so do a truly good service.

Sean Livingstone 5 years, 2 months ago

Haitians need two things desperately after the recovery.

1. Corruption councelling: They need to learn how to build a government and society where corruption is not dominating and hurting the country. Some corruptions are fine, but too much will kill the country.

2. They need help to eliminate corruptions and build a clean government that cares for their people.

More financial help will hurt their country than help. There are already some great lessons around the world how to build successful economy and countries.

Robert Rauktis 5 years, 2 months ago

I did the charity bit with Katrina. I learned to not give money beyond the county line.No doubt the Hatians will filter any gifts the way every other deadbeat country does with US aid. They are ridiculously poor for a reason.

I wonder how much the Dominican Republic will contribute?

jkratzer3 5 years, 2 months ago

THIS ISNT POLITICAL FOR PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND THE WORLD AS A WHOLE.

DONATE TO WHOM OR NOT AS YOU MUST.

THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN THAT HAVE DONE NOTHING AND ARE LOST AND WILL BE LOST.

I DONATED TO DOCTORS WITHOUT BOARDERS. I WISH I COULD HAVE DONATED MORE BUT ATLEAST I DID.

WE ARE A COUNTRY OF "HOPE" ARE WE NOT?