Archive for Saturday, January 2, 2010

Laid-off worker wins $1M lottery prize

January 2, 2010

— A laid-off aircraft manufacturing employee has won a $1 million lottery prize.

Lottery officials said 50-year-old Victoria Mason of Wichita claimed her prize late Thursday in Topeka.

Mason says she bought a Kansas Lottery raffle ticket “on a whim” on Oct. 19, the day after ticket sales began.

She says she found out she had a winning ticket Thursday.

The raffle tickets were $20 each, and all 150,000 were sold a little more than a month after going on sale.

Mason was laid off from Cessna in March. She is single and has a 19-year-old son.

Comments

Currahee 5 years, 7 months ago

I am very happy for her. 1 million is plenty if she knows how to spend it wisely which I don't doubt.

deskboy04 5 years, 7 months ago

This is a nice story, but it only encourages people to spend money on the lottery. The lottery is a bad way to spend your money unless you are one of the very, very lucky ones. And where does the money go? Many people in Kansas think that lottery proceeds go to education...not true.

leedavid 5 years, 7 months ago

Another great holiday story during the Christmas Season....I am happy for her. She gets laid off from Cessna and now can almost buy them the way that company has tanked....LOL!

justtired 5 years, 7 months ago

If it is not your money who cares? It was her choice to buy the ticket. Besides, no one MAKES you play the lottery!!

jeromepichette 5 years, 7 months ago

Congratulation Vicky. She is a great gal. Work with her at a previous job and was a geat employee. Sure hopes that she spends it wisely.

skinny 5 years, 7 months ago

Yup, I am still waiting for my taxes to go down because of the lottery!

They said the lottery would help with the cost of education, I am still waiting on that too!

somebodynew 5 years, 7 months ago

Well, I guess my money (and living in a warm climate) went to a good person. Congrats !!! Sorry I didn't get it, but hope she puts it to good use. Lord knows, I wouldn't have.

middlemgmt 5 years, 7 months ago

Great story! I'm thrilled when it goes to someone who needs it!

ksjayhawk74 5 years, 7 months ago

She's single, huh? That gives me an idea!

Never mind, I don't want to move to Wichita.

1southernjayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

Quick math...$3 million taken in; $1 million paid out. Not a good bet but great for her.

jackpot 5 years, 7 months ago

They paid out 5-$50,000 & 500-$50. I hope she uses her $700,000 and has some fun. Taxes take 30%. So much for the quick math.

ralphralph 5 years, 7 months ago

This type of drawing makes more sense than the ones where some guy wins like $185 million and it's so much money that it's sort of a bad thing.
I'd rather see a lot of people win a Million, or a few Million, which would give them and their communities enough money to do something positive and really enrich their lives, instead of just a very few people winning those super-huge prizes which seem to turn them into freaks and nut-cases. Just a thought ...

jeffreyj81 5 years, 7 months ago

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 7 months ago

"deskboy04 (Anonymous) says…

You are such a party pooper. You too, cheeseburger and jeffrey... BOO on You guys. YAY for the winner! Good luck to you...

ksjayhawk74 5 years, 7 months ago

jeffreyj81...

You aren't seriously asking that question right?

If you won a lottery ticket, do you think you would have to share it with your employer, because they were paying you?

maxcrabb 5 years, 7 months ago

jeffreyj81 (Anonymous) says… So, she was laid off and I'm assuming receiving unemployment benefits. Since our tax dollars contribute to unemployment do we receive part of her winnings as well?

Jeff, I don't want to spoil it for you, but do you know what happens when you assume?

Steve Jacob 5 years, 7 months ago

Quoting Reaper (good show)...

Devil: You know, I got to say, this is one of my greatest inventions. Sam: You invented the lottery? Devil: You betcha. State-sponsored gambling. Minimum wage earners spending their last buck on an 18 million to one long shot. I like to call it the idiot's tax.

riverdrifter 5 years, 6 months ago

Jesse, The lottery is for idiots -until you hit it. She's probably unemployed again by now. In Key West, BVI, USVI, Antiqua, Bahamas, Hawaii, Nevis, Aruba... Sigh. Keep shoveling/sweeping everybody. It's snowing again.