Archive for Friday, February 5, 2010

KU to ban sale of tobacco products from its campus

Kansas University has decided to ban the sale of tobacco products on campus. The ban will go into effect starting July 1 of this year.

February 5, 2010, 3:08 p.m. Updated February 5, 2010, 5:23 p.m.

Kansas University announced Friday afternoon that cigarettes and other tobacco products would no longer be sold on campus.

KU and Kansas State were the only state universities that still sold tobacco products on campus — and they were asked last month to review whether this was appropriate. The ban would apply to cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, snuff, chewing tobacco and other forms of “smokeless” tobacco.

In a statement released Friday, Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little said tobacco products would no longer be sold as of July 1, 2010.

“While some will point out that students and employees can buy these products elsewhere, I think it is important to make it clear that the university does not encourage the use of tobacco and will not sell it on campus,” she said in a news release.

KU Medical Center had already banned the sale of tobacco products from its campus.

Comments

JerryStubbs 4 years, 2 months ago

I think they should get one of those Redbox movie kiosks for the union. Maybe they could have them in the dorms, too.

Bladerunner 4 years, 2 months ago

Please ban students from campus. That would be great!

Bladerunner 4 years, 2 months ago

I think he mistyped "boner". Either that or the lack of oxygen flowing to his brain is starting to show. Lol!

beobachter 4 years, 2 months ago

What's a “doner?” An ignorant smoker.

kansasmutt 4 years, 2 months ago

I smoke and this is great. Smoking cost you alot of money and is a dirty habit. As for a statewide ban or city ban, nope , that crosses the line.Schools should be smoke free, just for the cost factor. Spend that money for an education, not smokes, ok. Get smart and make us proud.

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 2 months ago

Does this hold for the tail gating area? I'm a big doner and I don't need to follow ordinary laws. And I buy only official T-shirts.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 2 months ago

JUST BANNING THE SALE NOT THE USE. LIKE GOING TO A GAS STATION IS GOING TO CUT BACK ON SMOKING

Uhjh 4 years, 2 months ago

Why not stop fast food and high fructose corn syrup drink sales too.

witchfindergeneral 4 years, 2 months ago

This ban will only make it slightly more difficult for me and my fellow smokers to smoke on campus. A recent Kansan article pointed out that since the revenue generated from the sale of tobacco products at the Kansas Union is insignificant, this ban is largely symbolic.

I'm not sure if the Oread sells tobacco, chihawkinks, but if it does, then I'm all over it.

ChiHawkInKS 4 years, 2 months ago

Can you buy smokes over at the new Oread Hotel? They should be getting a lot of business then.