Archive for Wednesday, December 15, 2010

71-year-old Hutchinson woman knocks attacker unconscious with frying pan

December 15, 2010

— Hutchinson police say a 71-year-old woman knocked a man who attacked her unconscious with her frying pan.

Police Sgt. John Moore say a 25-year-old man talked his way into the woman's home on Saturday, claiming he was homeless and had nowhere to go.

Moore says when he tried to attack the woman, she fought back and "beat him down with a frying pan." When police arrived, he was unconscious on the floor.

The man is jailed on $55,200 bond on suspicion of attempted rape, aggravated battery, criminal restraint and criminal damage to property. He was wearing a neck brace when he made his first appearance Tuesday in court.

The Hutchinson News reports that the woman was injured but Moore did not release how serious her injuries were.

Comments

bearded_gnome 3 years, 3 months ago

I have no idea why you want points for not discussing race.

pacie: I have no idea why you want points for not discussing race.

answer is elsewhere in this same post. you use the word "stereotyping."

point of reminding you I made no racial ref: try the definition of "like." look it up. read and learn.

the kind of woman I described can be found across at least four races. FGS!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

Cait48: In the end it points up the fact that age and gender have little to do with a willingness to defend oneself and having the skills to do so.

---skills: situational awareness; attitude. choice to not be a victim. yeah!

Pacie, you're really maundering there hunn. did I ref her political affiliation, or cooking "on the back porch?"

my suspicion is that you are a prime example of today's angry feminist. but then I might be typing you based on your oh so obvious behavior, including looking for offense when one was not there.

again, you fool, note my comments. I used words such as "like." and note that I have indicated that some of my XX-chromosomal relatives and progenitors fit what I am describing.

please also note that I said nothing about race.

now, Pacie, I hope that you can get support and recover from this apparent trauma for you.

RobertMarble 3 years, 4 months ago

despite beatrice's negative / hostile outburst, it is still great to see that the old lady not only saved herself but apparently really clobbered the lowlife who attacked her. Too bad more of these stories don't have a similar ending. If more people were to stand up & fight back like this it would be a definite improvement.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

nice Cait48. if my grandmother were alive (4ft7 and weighed maybe 105 when she was wet) I suspect in this situation she would have killed this perp.

yes, I do know this kinda woman. tough. but also incredibly loving! giving to the core.

Pacie, "stereotype?" sheeesh!
then I'm stereotyping myself as a relative of such a woman.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 4 months ago

This woman needs to be hired to be the Director of the Drop In Center in Lawrence!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

Bea, yes, look it up: deep fried pickles are real. no, I don't particularly like them myself.

so hot, it's frying your brain, in your brainpan!

I'm guessing this guy was already a rather greasy individual, scraping the dregs from the bottom, hard bitten, and crusty.

Cait48, why do you necessarily assume that crispy fried brain man's intoxication played a role in her taking him out?

some of my female relatives in that age range wouldn't need such a handicap [note, "handicap" here used as in Golf]. they'd do just fine taking him out stone cold sober, that is, he being sober, lol!

I am so glad she took care of him.

*and all joking aside, I hope she has good support right now from family and friends to recover from this.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow Pacie, need a little remedial reading comprehension exercise???

here's what I wrote with emphasis added:

---you fail. indeed, several women like her are my relatives. oops, maybe you missed the "like."

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 4 months ago

Granny's...up...side ya head 'Said Granny's upside ya head!

TopJayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

I think we're going to give Grandmother an honorary citizenship to Topeka.
That's one swingin' Grandma.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

Ron, the pan gets seasoned if the perp has hair oil on, lol.

[yuck].

pace (anonymous) replies …

My guess is she used an 8 inch standard. It has a good heft and balance. I am glad she was able to defend herself. You guys saying she should of killed him or mutilated him while he was unconscious are a bit creepy, That she should of used a gun or a knife, that she didn't like cooking greens. You seem to be using her dime to speak your prejudices, . stereotyping her or claiming she should of done it different. I hope she is fine, she seems to have handled it well.

---sorry Pacie, this kinda woman is well known to us, and that big cast iron fry pan gets used for good food like sunday fried chicken, deep fried pickles, fry pan cornbread, homemade funnelcake, etc.

also note she is not a resident of Lawrence.

Verity, note my first post, I reffed he said that and maybe not true that he was homeless. however, fleeing warrants from California I think "homeless" might just apply to him.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 4 months ago

I have a couple cast iron frying pans that I've been told need to be kept "seasoned."

Is that how you "season" a frying pan?

Starlight 3 years, 4 months ago

"You wanna tangle with me?" http://www.hark.com/clips/ympvcmdwqc-tangle

Granny: "Remember what William Jennings Brian said, "fight hard but fight clean" Jethro: "But you ain't fightin' clean Granny" Granny: "Course I ain't, William Jennings Brian was a loser!" http://www.hark.com/clips/vyfxrpyykj-fight-clean

Granny: How do you like yer possum, Kevin, fallin' off the bones tender or with a little fight left in it?

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 4 months ago

This is the kind of woman I want to be when I'm that age! Heck yeah!!!

tomatogrower 3 years, 4 months ago

You go girl!! Older women rule!

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

They'll have to pry the skillet from my cold, dead oven mitt.

Bob Forer 3 years, 4 months ago

I am shocked that the crazy rightwing C&C gun nuts haven't put in their two cents, so i will serve as their proxy:

Granny should learn a lesson from this one. if she had had a Glock she could have saved, with a lot less effort--a trigger pull or two--the taxpayers the hospital bill and trial, and society would be have one less POS burdening us.

Clevercowgirl 3 years, 4 months ago

I checked out my skillet collection. Great-grandmothers chicken pan, 10" wide and 4.5" deep, is just the right weight, compact, and guaranteed to pack a wallop. Maybe the housekeeper on the old Tom and Jerry cartoons had the right idea.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

I have an eighteen inch cast iron frying pan. Not much good for self defense but looks good hanging on the wall. Helps me to compensate for . . . um, uh . . . smaller . . uh. Cookware! Yeah, that's it! Smaller skillets . . stored . . elsewhere . .

RobertMarble 3 years, 4 months ago

haha this is great to see someone not only taking responsibility for their safety, but also for injuring a dirtbag. I'd rather have seen her shooting him as a more permanent solution but she definitely got her point across with what she had available. Good job! This just goes to show that while self defence may not be politically correct, sometimes it is a necessity. Better that a lowlife gets injured or killed than their intended victim.

arooney04 3 years, 4 months ago

That a girl! Love this! I hope he gets baked!

Beer Guy 3 years, 4 months ago

Here's your bacon and eggs b***h!!!

macon47 3 years, 4 months ago

we need to start a skillet registry to protect the thugs, homeless and dopers

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

If you can't stand the heat ...

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 4 months ago

""When we arrived, he was unconscious and lying in his own vomit in the back of the house," Moore said. "He was in the hospital in Wichita over the weekend and they stapled his scalp.""

from http://hutchnews.com/Todaystop/rape-attempt--2

DillonBarnes 3 years, 4 months ago

Frying pan, and with force, way to go grandma. Much better than using a purse... I'm looking at you Ginger.

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

According to the Hutch paper, he was drunk, got in her house on the"guise" that he was homeless, injured her and some of her property. Turns out he has an outstanding warrant for extradition to California. Guess when you have an outstanding warrant for extradition, it's kind of hard to look for a job.

slowplay 3 years, 4 months ago

Well, he's no longer homeless. Did grandma have a concealed carry for that pan?

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

As an older woman, it bothers me that so many people are calling her "grandma" in their comments just because she is a senior. She isn't your grandmother and may not even have grandchildren. Calling her "grandma" is part of the problem of marginalizing the elderly and actually a contributing factor to these kinds of attacks. I am incredibly proud of the fact that she did this, although under different circumstances it could have gone horribly wrong. The fact that he was drunk. I'm sure, contributed to her ability to get away from him. She did what she needed to defend herself and get away from him. I'm glad she didn't kill him; not because of any sympathy for the perp but because no one needs to have killing another human being on their conscience.

Peacemaker452 3 years, 4 months ago

I can’t believe you people. What if an innocent bystander would have been hurt by this assault pan? What if the story read “Grandma hits grandson by mistake”? The government really needs to control people’s access to these deadly weapons. If nothing else, let’s put some common sense limits on the size of pans allowed and the total number you can have. After all, who really needs a 12” skillet, they are obviously only used to hurt people. Come on, it’s for the children.

Kris_H 3 years, 4 months ago

She knocked him out so bad he was still unconscious when the police got there...my question is, didn't she have any sharp knives in that kitchen to "fix" him with?

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 4 months ago

"He was wearing a neck brace when he made his first appearance Tuesday in court."

Right of Ted Kennedy's playbook.

I remember the "death scene" in "Six Feet Under" where the wife bashed her husband's skull in with a cast iron skillet because he would not shut up.....very funny black comedy. Miss that show to this day.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

---the Hutch sgt. "say" that?

gee. dissociated press strikes again.

two kinds of homeless: lifestyle bum s; and people who are truly homeless. I'll just bet that crispy fried brain man is one of the lifestyle bums.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

I bet it was a big old fashioned cast iron fry pan, like at least 8 inches across. and, no, she don't cook arugula in it!

every sunday afternoon she cooks yummy crisp fried chicken in it for herself and "my babies."

just imagine if it were one of those really big ones: like 12 inches across! wouldn't take too many wallops! to take out this dude.

give her a medal and a reality show!

also note, article indicates he is/says he is homeless.

kansasredlegs 3 years, 4 months ago

Instead of a frying pan, would have been a better read if she had had a .50 Desert Eagle or a shotgun. She could have turned his head into a canoe.

rbs 3 years, 4 months ago

I like seeing this kind of story--more power to aging women!!

Clevercowgirl 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm going to for sure keep a chicken frying pan on my stove-top at all times. This brings new meaning to the term "panhandling".

gphawk89 3 years, 4 months ago

Poor guy. It's going to take him years to get his street cred score built back up again. "Hospitalized by an elderly woman with a frying pan" really hurts your ratings.

Pywacket 3 years, 4 months ago

Knowing that the SOB will probably get a wrist slap in the courts and then be paroled for "good behavior" so he can attack someone else, I believe that if I were in her situation I would whack him a few more times with all my strength just to be sure he never got up again. To explain the extra hits, I'd tell investigators, "He was starting to stir and I was afraid...."

This brave lady deserves a lot of credit, though... It must have been a nightmare.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 4 months ago

This is your brain, this is your brain in a frying pan.

trinity 3 years, 4 months ago

cast iron=the only kind. well except for making just an egg or two, omelets, etc... :)

macon47 3 years, 4 months ago

the poor guy was homeless, she should have used the frying pan to cook him a nice meal. then give him money thats how we do it in lawrence

we nuture, and encourage the homeless

if it had of happened in topeka she would have put a bullet thru the dopers forehead and that would be the end of it except for all of the anti gun whiners who want to cry about this degenerates rights

mom_of_three 3 years, 4 months ago

very cool! I want to know what kind of frying pan she used.